UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:12:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 234
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 252522 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1375 on: October 17, 2022, 02:14:24 PM »

Those who are actually in power should have the dignity to seize it formally by installing an actual PM instead of using Truss as a meat puppet. This reeks of cowardice and the desire to avoid responsibility for enabling this maniac. Truss should have the courage to resign for her own good instead of holding onto a figurehead role that's nothing more than a poisoned chalice, a scarlet letter.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1376 on: October 17, 2022, 02:14:53 PM »

Truss is already finished and the Tories are disarray. The UK needs a snap election and Tories in opposition.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1377 on: October 17, 2022, 02:31:33 PM »

Starmer addressed Labour MPs in a meeting of the PLP tonight, and didn’t hold back when he got around to Jeremy Hunt:
If ever you needed a sign of a dying government, it's surely the return of Jeremy Hunt just in time for the horror show that is going to be their Halloween budget.

The man who butchered the NHS, risen from his political grave, shoring up this Night of the Living Dead government and taking his reaper's scythe to what remains of public services after 12 years of the Tories.
Get the feeling he knows which caretaker PM he wants to run against. Also, fascinating to see how confident he is now compared to even a few months ago. I imagine these kinds of polls do that to you, but still, Hartlepool and beergate feel like a million years ago.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1378 on: October 17, 2022, 02:31:46 PM »

Propping up a corpse PM is insane and self-defeating for a number of reasons, but it could well be that Hunt and company don't trust the party's ability to coalesce behind a single, decent replacement (not with Mordaunt and Sunak refusing to budge on who gets to be N°1, and Wallace being on maneuvers), and would certainly not trust the party membership - if it comes to them - being able to excercise caution for five minutes and not elect Braverman in a landslide. If anything, it's certainly not the most delusional of schemes that Conservatives have floated this year alone.

(Can't believe I'm hoping for a Labour government as soon as possible, if only to spare Britain from such a circus)
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #1379 on: October 17, 2022, 02:38:37 PM »

Those who are actually in power should have the dignity to seize it formally by installing an actual PM instead of using Truss as a meat puppet. This reeks of cowardice and the desire to avoid responsibility for enabling this maniac. Truss should have the courage to resign for her own good instead of holding onto a figurehead role that's nothing more than a poisoned chalice, a scarlet letter.

If Truss resigns within the next 80 days or so she will at least have the honour of being a pub quiz factoid for the rest of time (displacing George Canning).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1380 on: October 17, 2022, 02:40:39 PM »

I can believe that some influential Tories might think this, but surely the party as a whole isn't this deluded.

Ordinarily you'd think so, but these days I... I don't know...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1381 on: October 17, 2022, 02:49:42 PM »

It's very peculiar. I can't think of a more humiliating position for a politician to be in - she's literally being treated as some kid playacting a big-girl job while the grown ups do the real work! And worse, this isn't some shadowy puppet master, but something literally everybody knows. If I was Truss, I would seriously consider spitefully calling a general to at least take out Hunt and Mordaunt along with everybody else.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1382 on: October 17, 2022, 02:57:17 PM »

It's very peculiar. I can't think of a more humiliating position for a politician to be in - she's literally being treated as some kid playacting a big-girl job while the grown ups do the real work! And worse, this isn't some shadowy puppet master, but something literally everybody knows. If I was Truss, I would seriously consider spitefully calling a general to at least take out Hunt and Mordaunt along with everybody else.

One wonders what the King would make of a move like that. The Palace generally does not like to be involved in internal party matters.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1383 on: October 17, 2022, 02:59:06 PM »

A large part of the parliamentary party seems to have a mental block on the idea of changing the PM twice within the space of one parliament (which, to be fair, hasn’t happened since… 1940). Obviously there are others jockeying for their favoured candidate (Sunak, Mordaunt, Wallace etc) to get the job, but no one seems to be an overwhelming front runner who could have a coronation. Then you have Hunt, who doesn’t appear to be interested in being PM anymore, but also occupies an awkward position as he doesn’t really have much of a relationship with any of the aforementioned replacements for Truss, so his position of Chancellor (a job he evidently does want), wouldn’t be secure if she was replaced. So we seem to be in limbo.

It’s not sustainable, in my view, if only because Truss is now so unpopular and just so bad at everything that one more airing of her to the general public could easily finish her off. I can see this week’s PMQ’s being the straw that breaks the camels back if she puts in another catastrophic performance (and, personally I’d think the odds are firmly in favour of that). If you have a PM that can’t fulfil the basic functions of PM’ing (doing PMQ’s, holding press conferences… setting policy direction) then eventually something has to give… surely.

Either that or the Tory MP’s calling her a good PM and saying that the party needs to rally round are just genuinely dim.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1384 on: October 17, 2022, 03:09:14 PM »

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1385 on: October 17, 2022, 03:23:54 PM »

They…they did. This is how the whole mess got started; who is he trying to convince here?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1386 on: October 17, 2022, 03:30:41 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2022, 03:34:15 PM by Torrain »

Tory MPs want someone to stab their weakened leaders in the back, but they don't want that person to stick around afterwards (and certainly not take the old leader's place), because of the bad blood they accumulate in the process. It's why Johnsonites are resisting appointing Rishi Sunak as a consensus PM, and why Michael Heseltine never became PM after bringing down Thatcher.

The quote that gets thrown around most is Gavin Esler's (often misattributed to Heseltine): "The hand that wields the knife shall never wear the crown."

Hunt is trying to reassure his colleagues that he's a safe pair of hands, and happy to remain Chancellor. It's the only way he emerges as either caretaker PM, or continuity Chancellor in the next cabinet.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1387 on: October 17, 2022, 03:33:42 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2022, 03:36:44 PM by Middle-aged Europe »

Nothing is more representative of Liz Truss' current situation than the lyrics of Olivia Rodrigo's Brutal.

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1388 on: October 17, 2022, 04:11:07 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2022, 04:22:12 PM by Torrain »

Truss interviewed as part of BBC News at 10. We have a public apology for the mistakes of the mini-budget, and a commitment to lead the Conservatives into the next election.

Most of her assertions don't feel credible - and there's a sense of desperation. Her choice of the Thatcher Room in No.10 feels rather awkward given the comparisons (and cosplay), and she still refuses to engage with almost any questions.

Audible dead air when Truss is asked whether she feels humiliated which felt particularly telling
(even if it didn't reflect badly on Truss, it'll fuel a certain brand of conspiracy theories).
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1389 on: October 17, 2022, 04:12:06 PM »

Tory MPs want someone to stab their weakened leaders in the back, but they don't want that person to stick around afterwards (and certainly not take the old leader's place), because of the bad blood they accumulate in the process. It's why Johnsonites are resisting appointing Rishi Sunak as a consensus PM, and why Michael Heseltine never became PM after bringing down Thatcher.

The quote that gets thrown around most is Gavin Esler's (often misattributed to Heseltine): "The hand that wields the knife shall never wear the crown."

Hunt is trying to reassure his colleagues that he's a safe pair of hands, and happy to remain Chancellor. It's the only way he emerges as either caretaker PM, or continuity Chancellor in the next cabinet.

I think given the power of the Treasury and the idiosyncratic nature of the PM role, we could be witnessing just a change in the way the roles themselves are perceived. Truss will just become the ribbon cutter figurehead who listens to FCO advice... essentially going back to being a glorified foreign sec.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1390 on: October 17, 2022, 04:20:26 PM »

I think given the power of the Treasury and the idiosyncratic nature of the PM role, we could be witnessing just a change in the way the roles themselves are perceived. Truss will just become the ribbon cutter figurehead who listens to FCO advice... essentially going back to being a glorified foreign sec.
I've heard people argue that she could just become a weak figurehead for a powerful cabinet, in various corners today. But I just don't think that's sustainable past a few weeks (months at most), given how much personal blame/ire Truss now shoulders.

A ribbon-cutting figurehead works if they have an 80% approval rating (QE2). If they have an 9% approval rating (Truss - see prior thread page), they're just a political risk, helping to turn the Labour polling lead from a fluke to a sustained political reality.

Cassius put it best - if the PM can't do the basics of the job (PMQs, press conferences etc), then they just can't survive.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1391 on: October 17, 2022, 04:22:43 PM »

Worth noting too with her ratings that both Johnson and Blair, even while hated, had a very vocal minority of support among their fans along with a chunk of people who didn’t like them personally but liked what their Governments had done- Truss has none of that.

The only people defending her last week where the 4 ‘socially liberal, fiscally conservative’ IEA types who’ve now changed their mind…
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1392 on: October 17, 2022, 04:30:20 PM »

Truss interviewed as part of BBC News at 10. We have a public apology for the mistakes of the mini-budget, and a commitment to lead the Conservatives into the next election.

A commitment worth about as much as Kwasi Kwarteng's commitment to absolutely not going anywhere, one imagines.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1393 on: October 17, 2022, 04:32:10 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2022, 04:44:13 PM by Torrain »

She's lost Murdoch - even the Sun is focusing it's fire on her:

Edit: the full spread of tomorrow's papers are bad for Truss, and broadly more positive on Hunt than I expected (Times and Metro as outliers). The Mail, Sun and Telegraph all painting Truss as weak and out of touch feels pretty noteworthy, and even the Express (Pravda for right-wing pensioners) is running with Truss apologising, rather than talking about her strong, defiant leadership.

Front-pages available here: https://www.tomorrowspapers.co.uk/
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1394 on: October 17, 2022, 04:32:38 PM »

Mad this thread has 56 pages already. British politics needs a break.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1395 on: October 17, 2022, 04:45:34 PM »

And it has been one hell of a ride, with lots of ups and downs. Well, downs mostly.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1396 on: October 17, 2022, 04:48:07 PM »

Let's see: she met with Brady, she deputized somebody reported to actively be on leadership maneuvers to answer her Urgent Question from the LotO that she was dodging in order to meet with Brady, she returned from her meeting with Brady unable to move or stop anxiously blinking during "her" Chancellor's fiscal statement announcing a U-turn on pretty much her entire program for government, she's now lost the support of Murdoch & the Mail…

Does she make it to PMQs?
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #1397 on: October 17, 2022, 04:57:59 PM »

Yeah I'd appreciate it if Liz hangs around as a zombie PM for a while, the idea of having another leadership election sounds exhausting. Or I guess the best option would be if the Tories somehow pull off a coronation of someone boring and uncontroversial.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1398 on: October 17, 2022, 04:58:29 PM »

Nothing is more representative of Liz Truss' current situation than the lyrics of Olivia Rodrigo's Brutal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGUy2UmRxJ0

I'd submit this tweet from the woman herself:
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1399 on: October 17, 2022, 05:02:19 PM »

Yeah I'd appreciate it if Liz hangs around as a zombie PM for a while, the idea of having another leadership election sounds exhausting. Or I guess the best option would be if the Tories somehow pull off a coronation of someone boring and uncontroversial.

"No sneaky parliamentary maneuvers here; just the democratic membership's buyer's remorse"? Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 234  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies