COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:26:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 116 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 268420 times)
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2750 on: May 25, 2020, 11:48:25 PM »

That's actually badass.

Biden should take the debate stage dressed as a plague doctor and see what happens in the polls. Thanks to negative polarization, it's not like it'll hurt.

If he does that he'll be unironically dragged by this man and his supporters.

(youtube, current affairs, daily beast)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2751 on: May 26, 2020, 01:51:14 AM »

Britt Hume wishes he'd look that good in a mask.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2752 on: May 26, 2020, 01:59:14 AM »

Trump even retweeted this. Anyways, at least he'd look black instead of orange Tongue
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2753 on: May 26, 2020, 02:36:02 AM »

Biden looks a litle bit like Bane with the mask.

This election is gonna be Bane vs Joker.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2754 on: May 26, 2020, 05:44:26 AM »

I mean, what the actual f**k

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #2755 on: May 26, 2020, 05:51:50 AM »

"Isolate those at high-risk, let everyone else get on with their lives! End the madness!"

Taking a lot of liberties here, but I immediately see at least a dozen people in that freeze frame who would likely classify as at-high-risk.  And I can't imagine they'll isolate even under orders.  
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2756 on: May 26, 2020, 06:17:53 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2020, 06:26:13 AM by Face Masks Prevent You From Speaking Moistly »

"Isolate those at high-risk, let everyone else get on with their lives! End the madness!"

Taking a lot of liberties here, but I immediately see at least a dozen people in that freeze frame who would likely classify as at-high-risk.  And I can't imagine they'll isolate even under orders.  
These people see this when they look in the mirror:
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/218/301/e61.png

The reality is more like:
https://youtu.be/7WMSFqrUcw0
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2757 on: May 26, 2020, 06:44:54 AM »

The Real America.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #2758 on: May 26, 2020, 09:34:06 AM »

Here's where Dane county is as of today in regards to reopening. It'll be interesting to see how this goes. This is basically Governor Evers's plan.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2759 on: May 26, 2020, 09:55:28 AM »

Well, is this permitted under North Carolina regulations?

After almost the whole country was placed under house arrest for 2 months, we can't very well claim that most of the regulations are too lax.

But, admittedly, it would be different if North Carolina said you can't have big sports events like this.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2760 on: May 26, 2020, 10:31:50 AM »

After almost the whole country was placed under house arrest for 2 months, we can't very well claim that most of the regulations are too lax.

But, admittedly, it would be different if North Carolina said you can't have big sports events like this.

It's certainly clear to me that many people have grown tired of the restrictions which have been put in place. And I now firmly believe, more than I did before, that political polarization in this country has been intensified because of this virus. Many people who were deeply distrustful of government before this happened-and who tend to be on the right or to vote Republican-will become further reinforced in those habits as a result of this. Distrust of the mainstream media, which in their view "overhyped" this crisis, will become yet more prevalent. And memories of this will persist long after this is over.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2761 on: May 26, 2020, 12:31:35 PM »

Seems misleading to label it house arrest when many states that did do some form of shelter-in-place were very lax about it and had broad exemptions. Despite FL closing many businesses for over a month, there were still a great number of people out and about on any given day, and many stores here were still open. Sometimes going out I couldn't really tell the difference between pre-COVID and the "lockdown." It's not like I went into town only to see empty streets. Not even remotely close to that.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2762 on: May 26, 2020, 12:33:37 PM »

Only in America could a pandemic be considered a political issue
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2763 on: May 26, 2020, 12:33:53 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2764 on: May 26, 2020, 01:03:46 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2020, 01:10:28 PM by Virginiá »

Republicans have been conditioned to treat every single criticism of Trump by Democrats as a political scheme to take him down. Even COVID-19, which is now treated as a serious issue by Trump himself and Republican leaders, and Trump himself who recommended shelter-in-place orders for over a month, is still decried as a political attack and as being blown out of proportion by Democrats.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2765 on: May 26, 2020, 01:04:41 PM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2766 on: May 26, 2020, 01:14:53 PM »

It's unfortunate, but true. The responses to this crisis have been driven, in large part, by the individual state governors, and one can correlate the extent or nature of each state response to the political affiliation of the respective governor. There have been some outliers to this. Governor Polis in Colorado, for example, has probably been the least restrictive out of all the Democratic Governors. He refrained from imposing a statewide mask mandate; he stated that the media's focus on testing was "misplaced" and didn't take into consideration other factors underlying the situation; and he allowed for many non-essential businesses to resume operations earlier than other states (i.e. barbershops, salons, and now dine-in restaurants).

On the other hand, you've had Governor DeWine of Ohio, who aside from mask mandates, has pursued many of the same actions as his Democratic counterparts, and Governors Hogan of Maryland and Baker of Massachusetts, whose responses have virtually been the same as theirs. But in general, political affiliation has governed our responses. Democratic states have been more restrictive, and slower to reopen, than Republican states. Democratic governors have had a more "authoritarian" tone and style than their Republican counterparts-just look at Whitmer in Michigan and Wolf in Pennsylvania to give a few examples.

And no, opposition to the lockdown orders is not merely confined to "Republicans" or to the "right". Even many left-leaning types and "Democrats" have become increasingly skeptical in recent weeks, and have disagreed with many of the actions which have been implemented. Personally, I continue to remain of the belief that many of the measures implemented were necessary ones. But I do not think that they should be continued indefinitely, as I've also made clear, and I see the reopening process taking place now as justified, as precautions continue to be taken. I am also of the belief that when we reevaluate what was done here, we will find that we may have transgressed in certain respects, beyond what may have been appropriate or plausible.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2767 on: May 26, 2020, 03:37:29 PM »

It's certainly clear to me that many people have grown tired of the restrictions which have been put in place. And I now firmly believe, more than I did before, that political polarization in this country has been intensified because of this virus. Many people who were deeply distrustful of government before this happened-and who tend to be on the right or to vote Republican-will become further reinforced in those habits as a result of this. Distrust of the mainstream media, which in their view "overhyped" this crisis, will become yet more prevalent. And memories of this will persist long after this is over.

This may be true in general, it comes with the important caveat that the situation might actually be opening the eyes of seniors to Trump's level of ridiculousness. As Republicans under 65 entrench, it pushes away seniors who just want to live.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2768 on: May 26, 2020, 03:37:48 PM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2769 on: May 26, 2020, 04:09:17 PM »

This may be true in general, it comes with the important caveat that the situation might actually be opening the eyes of seniors to Trump's level of ridiculousness. As Republicans under 65 entrench, it pushes away seniors who just want to live.

This is true, since seniors have been disproportionately affected by the pandemic (along with those who have underlying medical conditions). As I've said elsewhere, if Trump loses the senior vote, he will lose the election.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2770 on: May 26, 2020, 04:14:32 PM »

Looks like Florida is lying about their numbers
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2771 on: May 26, 2020, 05:39:40 PM »

And no, opposition to the lockdown orders is not merely confined to "Republicans" or to the "right". Even many left-leaning types and "Democrats" have become increasingly skeptical in recent weeks, and have disagreed with many of the actions which have been implemented.

I think it's no longer left versus right, but authoritarians (particularly the media) versus the rank-and-file.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2772 on: May 26, 2020, 05:50:55 PM »

That's actually badass.

Biden is apparently trying to make it a trademark of his. Not that dumb, actually. It sets him apart from Trump, but also subverts Trump's "masks make me weak and unmanly" attitude.

gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #2773 on: May 26, 2020, 06:23:23 PM »

Republicans have been conditioned to treat every single criticism of Trump by Democrats as a political scheme to take him down. Even COVID-19, which is now treated as a serious issue by Trump himself and Republican leaders, and Trump himself who recommended shelter-in-place orders for over a month, is still decried as a political attack and as being blown out of proportion by Democrats.

Criticism of stay at home orders extends to both parties but continue your with set narrative
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2774 on: May 26, 2020, 06:30:39 PM »

Biden is apparently trying to make it a trademark of his. Not that dumb, actually. It sets him apart from Trump, but also subverts Trump's "masks make me weak and unmanly" attitude.

lol
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 116 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies