COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:37:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 121 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 266265 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2875 on: May 29, 2020, 09:57:43 AM »

The AACE gives most states a bad grade because most states have absolutely abysmal roads, thanks to tax cuts etc.
That's exactly what the AACE wants you to think Wink

A reminder that it didn't need to be this way.

Well of course no country on earth is prepared for a pandemic if you ask government epidemiologists and big pharma lobbyists.  How else would they get their $$$? 

This is like when the American Academy of Civil Engineers every year gives the vast majority of states a bad grade on road infrastructure.  Serious risk-seeking and adverse incentives are at play.   
As someone who’s parents worked with the NIH, you are absolutely insane. Government epidemiologists and NIH workers are so limited they can’t even do things that seem perfectly ethical and normal, much less can they even think about being paid to shill. There are so many regulations preventing that, it just doesn’t happen. Of course, facts don’t matter when you are pushing an anti-scientist narrative.

As someone who has worked in both Federal and state executive service, what makes you think I don’t know what the functions of regulatory big-wigs are?  Self-preservation is the name of the game.  Government agencies and their associated professional/interest groups constantly lobby for increased resources.  Saying your regulatory area is chronically underserved is one of the best ways to do that.  The CDC or NIH are no different.

I swear, for a political forum it never ceases to amaze me the juvenile approach many take to politics here.  This isn’t a conspiracy, just a general note on agency dynamics and intergovernmental lobbying you would have learned in any 300 level poli sci class at a third-rate commuter college.  The NIH and CDC aren’t exempted from iron triangles because doctors are “good guys” or whatever. 

"People always overestimate the importance of what they do, so I will disregard experts when they talk about their fields?" That has got to be one of the laziest ways of dismissing experts I've ever seen. Pretty sure you only troth that one out when experts say something you disagree with though. When Elon Musk was criticizing safety regulations you applauded him instead of noting disregarding regulations would make him money. 

I also note that you didn't even attempt to engage on the substance. That would have been pretty hard given how the lack of preparedness for pandemics is being demonstrated every day this thing goes on. No, just tried to get in a swipe at experts. You can't deny the inconvenient truths, but you sure can shoot the messenger.

I don't have time for some international public health NGO that peddles alarmist reporting saying that 195 countries (depending on how you count, that's more than all of them) are unprepared for a global pandemic in an attempt to lobby the WHO for funding for their own pet projects.  Experts can be powerful advocates for their fields, but Joe Biden blindly parroting their motivated statistics to score points against Trump ain't gonna be fooling me.

Also, I never defend Elon Musk in the Telsa thread (on the contrary, I think I made it quite obvious that I don't personally care for him at all).  What I noted is that we should expect him to maximize profits, and that probably at some point would involve relocation of his investment into a non-shutdown state.  This sort of profit-maximizing is the same behavior public health interests are engaging in when they push panic narratives, too.  It's the same thing.

The "inconvenient truth" of the matter is that COVID-19 is a novel disease that was going to wreck havoc no matter what.  Unlike Ebola (referenced about in the thread), we couldn't anticipate where it would emerge or start with much preexisting knowledge about its pathology.  It's proven to be much more serious than H1N1.  The 2010s epidemics are imperfect comparisons for these reasons.  A stance of constant goal pandemic preparedness is an unjustifiable money pit.  Spending to mitigate risks has to be discounted by their likelihood, which is why we don't spend billions of dollars a year on preparing for asteroid impacts or first contact, either. 
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #2876 on: May 29, 2020, 10:42:42 AM »

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2877 on: May 29, 2020, 11:03:24 AM »

Coronavirus is now old news for a while, the CNN sidebar showing COVID case and death # isn't there anymore
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2878 on: May 29, 2020, 11:07:34 AM »

Coronavirus is now old news for a while, the CNN sidebar showing COVID case and death # isn't there anymore

It hasn't gone away entirely yet, but I thought that the CNN counter (MSNBC had one too) was a glaring and detestable example of sensationalism. While (as I've said before), this pandemic has had a devastating effect on the lives of many, I don't think the media reported it in the best way that it could have. Given that its focus is on profit and ratings, what would one expect?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2879 on: May 29, 2020, 11:13:11 AM »

They're probs just gonna replace it with a sidebar showing # minorities killed by cops.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #2880 on: May 29, 2020, 11:21:38 AM »

China is going to face a backlash about the COVID-19, in Europe.

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2881 on: May 29, 2020, 01:43:59 PM »

The AACE gives most states a bad grade because most states have absolutely abysmal roads, thanks to tax cuts etc.
That's exactly what the AACE wants you to think Wink

A reminder that it didn't need to be this way.

Well of course no country on earth is prepared for a pandemic if you ask government epidemiologists and big pharma lobbyists.  How else would they get their $$$? 

This is like when the American Academy of Civil Engineers every year gives the vast majority of states a bad grade on road infrastructure.  Serious risk-seeking and adverse incentives are at play.   
As someone who’s parents worked with the NIH, you are absolutely insane. Government epidemiologists and NIH workers are so limited they can’t even do things that seem perfectly ethical and normal, much less can they even think about being paid to shill. There are so many regulations preventing that, it just doesn’t happen. Of course, facts don’t matter when you are pushing an anti-scientist narrative.

As someone who has worked in both Federal and state executive service, what makes you think I don’t know what the functions of regulatory big-wigs are?  Self-preservation is the name of the game.  Government agencies and their associated professional/interest groups constantly lobby for increased resources.  Saying your regulatory area is chronically underserved is one of the best ways to do that.  The CDC or NIH are no different.

I swear, for a political forum it never ceases to amaze me the juvenile approach many take to politics here.  This isn’t a conspiracy, just a general note on agency dynamics and intergovernmental lobbying you would have learned in any 300 level poli sci class at a third-rate commuter college.  The NIH and CDC aren’t exempted from iron triangles because doctors are “good guys” or whatever. 

"People always overestimate the importance of what they do, so I will disregard experts when they talk about their fields?" That has got to be one of the laziest ways of dismissing experts I've ever seen. Pretty sure you only troth that one out when experts say something you disagree with though. When Elon Musk was criticizing safety regulations you applauded him instead of noting disregarding regulations would make him money. 

I also note that you didn't even attempt to engage on the substance. That would have been pretty hard given how the lack of preparedness for pandemics is being demonstrated every day this thing goes on. No, just tried to get in a swipe at experts. You can't deny the inconvenient truths, but you sure can shoot the messenger.

I don't have time for some international public health NGO that peddles alarmist reporting saying that 195 countries (depending on how you count, that's more than all of them) are unprepared for a global pandemic in an attempt to lobby the WHO for funding for their own pet projects.  Experts can be powerful advocates for their fields, but Joe Biden blindly parroting their motivated statistics to score points against Trump ain't gonna be fooling me.

Also, I never defend Elon Musk in the Telsa thread (on the contrary, I think I made it quite obvious that I don't personally care for him at all).  What I noted is that we should expect him to maximize profits, and that probably at some point would involve relocation of his investment into a non-shutdown state.  This sort of profit-maximizing is the same behavior public health interests are engaging in when they push panic narratives, too.  It's the same thing.

The "inconvenient truth" of the matter is that COVID-19 is a novel disease that was going to wreck havoc no matter what.  Unlike Ebola (referenced about in the thread), we couldn't anticipate where it would emerge or start with much preexisting knowledge about its pathology.  It's proven to be much more serious than H1N1.  The 2010s epidemics are imperfect comparisons for these reasons.  A stance of constant goal pandemic preparedness is an unjustifiable money pit.  Spending to mitigate risks has to be discounted by their likelihood, which is why we don't spend billions of dollars a year on preparing for asteroid impacts or first contact, either. 
To compare the chances of a pandemic vs the chances of an asteroid hitting is absolutely ridiculous. Given how interconnected our society is, our modern agricultural practices, and the way we interact with nature, pandemics are inevitable and need to be prepared for. Honestly, we got lucky with Covid-19, as awful as it is, it could have been much worse. If we learn anything from this, it’s that we always monitor for strange patterns in public health and foster international cooperation in fighting pandemics.

Covid-19 was no fluke, it’s a growing threat and you can expect more disease outbreaks (although most not as severe hopefully) in the future.
Humanity’s second greatest chance of extinction is probably some sort of virus, whether it be natural or a bioweapon.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2882 on: May 29, 2020, 01:45:34 PM »

The stories have been mostly separate, but I'm worried all these protests/riots could fuel some big spikes in cases or even outbreaks.
Oh they absolutely will. Unfortunately, the Twitterverse and media probably won’t report on it.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2883 on: May 29, 2020, 01:50:00 PM »

A stance of constant goal pandemic preparedness is an unjustifiable money pit.  Spending to mitigate risks has to be discounted by their likelihood, which is why we don't spend billions of dollars a year on preparing for asteroid impacts

Well we do spend hundreds of millions a year looking for threatening asteroids.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2884 on: May 29, 2020, 02:24:05 PM »

U.S. will terminate its relationship with World Health Organization, Trump says

woodley park

« Reply #2885 on: May 29, 2020, 02:38:48 PM »

In the great game, China wants to win without fighting. Part of that involves changing existing global institutions to suit their needs, from the inside out, without provoking a response from everybody else. When we pull out of organizations like this, we open the door for them to do exactly that.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2886 on: May 29, 2020, 03:18:45 PM »

He must really want to lose this election.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2887 on: May 29, 2020, 03:56:58 PM »

He’s going this mad and it’s only May? We’re so screwed.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2888 on: May 29, 2020, 05:33:58 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2020, 12:52:52 AM by GP270watch »

In the great game, China wants to win without fighting. Part of that involves changing existing global institutions to suit their needs, from the inside out, without provoking a response from everybody else. When we pull out of organizations like this, we open the door for them to do exactly that.

Imagine a guy with an attention span that is described as being minutes long, who doesn't read, and who consistently changes any subject no matter what is being discussed back on himself...

Imagine that guy trying to play Chess with a Chinese regime that thinks in terms of decades.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2889 on: May 29, 2020, 06:13:59 PM »

Just imagine if he wins re-election and has even less to lose!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2890 on: May 29, 2020, 06:50:50 PM »

(Please note, the following is Reuters, not the Onion.)

Monkeys steal coronavirus blood samples in India
LUCKNOW, India (Reuters) - A troop of monkeys in India attacked a medical official and snatched away blood samples of patients who had tested positive for the novel coronavirus, authorities said on Friday.

The attack occurred this week when a laboratory technician was walking in the campus of a state-run medical college in Meerut, 460 km (285 miles) north of Lucknow, capital of Uttar Pradesh state.

“Monkeys grabbed and fled with the blood samples of four COVID-19 patients who are undergoing treatment ... we had to take their blood samples again,” said Dr S. K. Garg, a top official at the college.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2891 on: May 29, 2020, 06:57:30 PM »

Omega21

« Reply #2892 on: May 29, 2020, 07:04:12 PM »

Hope the people were responsible and disinfected themselves with 40% Vodka at 15 min intervals.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2893 on: May 29, 2020, 07:21:25 PM »

Hope the people were responsible and disinfected themselves with 40% Vodka at 15 min intervals.

Either that or they ate their Presidential approved chlorox.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2894 on: May 29, 2020, 07:40:48 PM »

Next thing you know, he's going to order a nuclear strike on Beijing.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2895 on: May 30, 2020, 01:47:57 AM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 5/29 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

Δ Change: Day-by-day Growth or Decline or COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE: What's the overall change in the total?

<Last Numbers for 3/26-3/28 in this Post>
<Last Numbers for 3/29-4/4 in this Post>
<Last Numbers for 4/5-4/11 in this Post>
<Last Numbers for 4/12-4/18 in this Post>
<Last Numbers for 4/19-4/25 in this post>
<Last Numbers for 4/26-5/2 in this post>
<Last Numbers for 5/3-5/9 in this post>
<Last Numbers for 5/10-5/16 in this post>

5/17: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 1,526,842 (+21,809 | Δ Change: ↑2.40% | Σ Increase: ↑1.44%)
  • Deaths: 90,973 (+1,462 | Δ Change: ↑41.67% | Σ Increase: ↑1.45%)

5/18:
  • Cases: 1,550,294 (+23,452 | Δ Change: ↑7.53% | Σ Increase: ↑1.54%)
  • Deaths: 91,981 (+1,008 | Δ Change: ↓31.05% | Σ Increase: ↑1.11%)

5/19:
  • Cases: 1,570,583 (+20,289 | Δ Change: ↓13.49% | Σ Increase: ↑1.31%)
  • Deaths: 93,533 (+1,552 | Δ Change: ↑53.97% | Σ Increase: ↑1.69%)

5/20:
  • Cases: 1,591,991 (+21,408 | Δ Change: ↑5.52% | Σ Increase: ↑1.36%)
  • Deaths: 94,994 (+1,461 | Δ Change: ↓5.86% | Σ Increase: ↑1.56%)

5/21:
  • Cases: 1,620,902 (+28,911 | Δ Change: ↑35.05% | Σ Increase: ↑1.82%)
  • Deaths: 96,354 (+1,360 | Δ Change: ↓6.91% | Σ Increase: ↑1.43%)

5/22:
  • Cases: 1,645,094 (+24,192 | Δ Change: ↓16.32% | Σ Increase: ↑1.49%)
  • Deaths: 97,647 (+1,293 | Δ Change: ↓4.93% | Σ Increase: ↑1.34%)

5/23:
  • Cases: 1,666,828 (+21,734 | Δ Change: ↓10.16% | Σ Increase: ↑1.32%)
  • Deaths: 98,683 (+1,036 | Δ Change: ↓19.88% | Σ Increase: ↑1.06%)

5/24: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 1,686,436 (+19,608 | Δ Change: ↓9.78% | Σ Increase: ↑1.18%)
  • Deaths: 99,300 (+617 | Δ Change: ↓40.44% | Σ Increase: ↑0.63%)

5/25:
  • Cases: 1,706,224 (+19,788 | Δ Change: ↑0.92% | Σ Increase: ↑1.17%)
  • Deaths: 99,805 (+505 | Δ Change: ↓18.15% | Σ Increase: ↑0.51%)

5/26:
  • Cases: 1,725,141 (+18,917 | Δ Change: ↓4.40% | Σ Increase: ↑1.11%)
  • Deaths: 100,579 (+774 | Δ Change: ↑53.27% | Σ Increase: ↑0.78%)

5/27:
  • Cases: 1,745,803 (+20,662 | Δ Change: ↑9.22% | Σ Increase: ↑1.20%)
  • Deaths: 102,107 (+1,528 | Δ Change: ↑97.42% | Σ Increase: ↑1.52%)

5/28 (Yesterday):
  • Cases: 1,768,461 (+22,658 | Δ Change: ↑9.66% | Σ Increase: ↑1.30%)
  • Deaths: 103,330 (+1,223 | Δ Change: ↓19.96% | Σ Increase: ↑1.20%)

5/29 (Today):
  • Cases: 1,793,530 (+25,069 | Δ Change: ↑10.64% | Σ Increase: ↑1.42%)
  • Deaths: 104,542 (+1,212 | Δ Change: ↓0.90% | Σ Increase: ↑1.17%)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2896 on: May 30, 2020, 02:35:41 AM »

Doesn't look like much of a change from a week ago. Hopefully the last few days were anomalous.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2897 on: May 30, 2020, 07:20:00 AM »

Doesn't look like much of a change from a week ago. Hopefully the last few days were anomalous.

Yesterday did have by far the highest number of tests ever.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2898 on: May 30, 2020, 07:31:12 AM »

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #2899 on: May 30, 2020, 09:59:33 AM »

This is huge and does make things make more sense if it is the case.

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 121 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies