COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:30:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 266040 times)
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« on: April 19, 2020, 09:22:43 PM »

anyone else wanting to go out and join one of these protests against the quarantine? heard there was one in Nashville today, should have gone but I was tied up in Knox :<

obvious troll is trolling. reported.
He isn’t a troll, he just is greatly uninformed as to the severity of the crisis.

I mean, I'm greatly informed as to the severity that this crises poses to young people who are just starting out their careers. My wife and I are lucky that we are "essential employees" but I worry about all the other people our age just starting out and what this hysteria has done to the economy.

I'm honestly not worried about the elderly and immunocompromised. They can quarantine of their own accord, if they wish, but at least where I live, it seems like the older people are the least likely to do so, so I mean that's on them.

Like I said, if I die I die lol it's fine not like I care.
Get them stacks up!
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 02:26:55 PM »

Where do they come up with this nonsense? It's obviously not going to reach 3,000 a day.

That's not obvious to me at all. I would have thought it was unlikely, sure. But I have no idea.

The fact that the media even reported this is alarmist garbage, which is irresponsible, and is no help at all. I literally almost had another cardiac episode when I saw it.

They are literally trying to have an excuse to keep us locked down even longer.

I literally cannot take this.
We easily can and possibly will hit 3k deaths per day over a three day average. Will you own up to being wrong yet again when/if we reach that grim milestone? Or will you just blame the media as usual?

do u admit to being an extremist who has called for people to lose their voting rights and to be refused medical treatment because of political differences
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 03:06:20 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/499388-crowds-flock-to-missouris-lake-of-the-ozarks-over-memorial-day-weekend#

Maybe the chlorinated water protects against the virus?
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 06:23:23 PM »

Only in America could a pandemic be considered a political issue

Republicans have been conditioned to treat every single criticism of Trump by Democrats as a political scheme to take him down. Even COVID-19, which is now treated as a serious issue by Trump himself and Republican leaders, and Trump himself who recommended shelter-in-place orders for over a month, is still decried as a political attack and as being blown out of proportion by Democrats.

Criticism of stay at home orders extends to both parties but continue your with set narrative
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 10:16:48 PM »

One thing to note is that deaths have been on a steady downward trend, while cases are largely plateauing. Is the virus is slowly mutating to become less deadly?

I believe greatly increased testing accounts for the constant number of cases
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 12:27:26 PM »

Think that's the first day since early in part 1 where we haven't pushed a new page in this thread.

The nation has moved on past the virus
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 12:33:59 PM »

Think that's the first day since early in part 1 where we haven't pushed a new page in this thread.

The nation has moved on past the virus

"Moved on" implies that the virus is behind us, which is not the case.  I think it would be more accurate to say that (a) the situation has stabilized, and (b) people are used to it by now. 

Yea I agree 100%, the second wave this fall will be humbling, it’s just that the protests have captured the national attention now
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 09:50:24 PM »

We’ve been at the 20k new case and 1k death plateau for a good while now
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 07:57:31 PM »

The nation has largely shrugged off social distancing and quarantine - I’m not sure even if the second wave hits, that ppl will follow the restrictions again in the fall
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 05:10:01 PM »

Another look at the jobs currently lost

This is already shaping up to be worse than the Great Depression. If action isn’t taken soon, the strings connecting this country could snap.

Hispanic women have been hit hardest by job losses. Maybe Joe Biden should pick a Hispanic woman as VP. The Democrats have never had a Hispanic candidate on the ticket. It would be groundbreaking.
No, Democrats are going to pick a black woman and ignore Hispanic voters yet again. Sadly, a Hispanic Woman is probably the best shot for Biden.

SMC is the only vaguely viable option in that regard, and having served in the US Senate for less than two years that's sketchy.

Who tha heck?

Can’t be Shelley Moore capito so probably CCM
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 11:50:44 AM »

I’ve been seeing packed grocery stores and food pick up spots, only token stickers on the floor saying be 6 ft apart. Society has accepted the toll of the Rona, very unlikely IMO that reinstating restrictions will work again
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 11:16:22 PM »

America has checked out on the virus,  maybe if we hit 150-175 K by the end of the summer people will pay attention again
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 08:35:41 PM »

They have a chip on their shoulder because they're "a grown-ass man/woman" and "someone is trying to tell me what to do."  

"It's a free country!  I have rights!!!"

I've made clear my opposition to mask mandates imposed by government, but have also emphasized my support for mask mandates imposed by businesses. As I've explained before, most of the employees at my job were not wearing masks before they were mandated to do so by the Governor's order back in April. One of my co-workers has constantly complained about it, says that he is "fine", and that he doesn't need to wear a mask. He goes maskless whenever he is not on the clock, and has it down much of the time even when he is on the clock. I saw another employee who had a scarf around his neck, but was maskless and interacting with customers. Many of these people are mental Neanderthals.

The whole macho complex surrounding these people is baffling. Attention seeking at its absolute worst.
I don't see it that way at all. I think it's that these people are literally stupid enough to think that they know better than the government and medical professionals, and they're also too simple-minded to question and challenge their own ideas and consider modifying them.

And it's not just people who are considered "uneducated".  I've seen blue-collar-looking guys in dusty construction-company t-shirts and blue jeans who are properly wearing masks and appearing to take this seriously.  

These are all things I've recently heard uttered by friends, most of whom are pursuing professional degrees:

* "Oh it's okay.  My boyfriend hasn't been anywhere in the past couple of weeks."

* "If I get it, I get it.  I'll be fine.

* "I'm actually hoping to get it just to have that immunity.

* "We've been hugging and standing closer than six feet for a while now.  I think we're okay.

And checking my Instagram this morning, there were at least ten stories (time-limited pics/videos for the uninitiated) posted by med students, dentistry students, pharmacy students, nursing students -- "educated" individuals who should know better -- eating at outdoor establishments and taking group pics where they're piled on top of each other, leaning against each other, hugging, etc. with captions like "MISSED THESE PEOPLE" and "FINALLY!!!"

I'm really not trying to be high-and-mighty or preachy.  After all, it was my own stupidity and lack of safety that led to me contracting COVID-19.  There's practically no issue with eating outdoors and enjoying the summer weather so long as businesses observe proper social distancing standards.  

But people need to do their parts, too.

Its certainly understandable. Just remember, there are a lot of "health experts" that abandoned any claim to legitimacy by flipflopping on the appropriateness of protests during the pandemic. One week they were yelling about terrorists killing granny in Michigan for protesting the lockdown the next week a large gaggle of idiot "health experts" said "racism is JUST as deadly as Coronavirus" and you were literally "violent" if you didn't pour into the streets for mass gatherings. I never had much faith in what "health experts" said before this all started but the incredulity of some others in this thread that more and more normies are ignoring the "experts" after months of garbage wolf-crying seems dense. Trust must be earned and the "health experts" have really schat the bed the past few months. I was legally prohibited from attending 3 different funerals and months of church. My grandfather is dying of cancer and the hospital still wont let us visit. My dad has chronic medical problems and the doctors are still hesitant to schedule his appointments. I have tons of friends unemployed. And this past month the experts all but demanded everyone break the rules that caused all of this and go out and destroy public art. If they now try to reimpose lockdowns after their month of politically-motivated advice, you really think most of us are going to give a damn what some moron in a white coat says?

I think that less docs and researchers supported the protests than it seems; these people are very much at risk of being #cancelled which is disastrous given their student loan debt, many who opposed what happened likely kept their mouths shut
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 09:06:31 PM »

They have a chip on their shoulder because they're "a grown-ass man/woman" and "someone is trying to tell me what to do."  

"It's a free country!  I have rights!!!"

I've made clear my opposition to mask mandates imposed by government, but have also emphasized my support for mask mandates imposed by businesses. As I've explained before, most of the employees at my job were not wearing masks before they were mandated to do so by the Governor's order back in April. One of my co-workers has constantly complained about it, says that he is "fine", and that he doesn't need to wear a mask. He goes maskless whenever he is not on the clock, and has it down much of the time even when he is on the clock. I saw another employee who had a scarf around his neck, but was maskless and interacting with customers. Many of these people are mental Neanderthals.

The whole macho complex surrounding these people is baffling. Attention seeking at its absolute worst.
I don't see it that way at all. I think it's that these people are literally stupid enough to think that they know better than the government and medical professionals, and they're also too simple-minded to question and challenge their own ideas and consider modifying them.

And it's not just people who are considered "uneducated".  I've seen blue-collar-looking guys in dusty construction-company t-shirts and blue jeans who are properly wearing masks and appearing to take this seriously.  

These are all things I've recently heard uttered by friends, most of whom are pursuing professional degrees:

* "Oh it's okay.  My boyfriend hasn't been anywhere in the past couple of weeks."

* "If I get it, I get it.  I'll be fine.

* "I'm actually hoping to get it just to have that immunity.

* "We've been hugging and standing closer than six feet for a while now.  I think we're okay.

And checking my Instagram this morning, there were at least ten stories (time-limited pics/videos for the uninitiated) posted by med students, dentistry students, pharmacy students, nursing students -- "educated" individuals who should know better -- eating at outdoor establishments and taking group pics where they're piled on top of each other, leaning against each other, hugging, etc. with captions like "MISSED THESE PEOPLE" and "FINALLY!!!"

I'm really not trying to be high-and-mighty or preachy.  After all, it was my own stupidity and lack of safety that led to me contracting COVID-19.  There's practically no issue with eating outdoors and enjoying the summer weather so long as businesses observe proper social distancing standards.  

But people need to do their parts, too.

Its certainly understandable. Just remember, there are a lot of "health experts" that abandoned any claim to legitimacy by flipflopping on the appropriateness of protests during the pandemic. One week they were yelling about terrorists killing granny in Michigan for protesting the lockdown the next week a large gaggle of idiot "health experts" said "racism is JUST as deadly as Coronavirus" and you were literally "violent" if you didn't pour into the streets for mass gatherings. I never had much faith in what "health experts" said before this all started but the incredulity of some others in this thread that more and more normies are ignoring the "experts" after months of garbage wolf-crying seems dense. Trust must be earned and the "health experts" have really schat the bed the past few months. I was legally prohibited from attending 3 different funerals and months of church. My grandfather is dying of cancer and the hospital still wont let us visit. My dad has chronic medical problems and the doctors are still hesitant to schedule his appointments. I have tons of friends unemployed. And this past month the experts all but demanded everyone break the rules that caused all of this and go out and destroy public art. If they now try to reimpose lockdowns after their month of politically-motivated advice, you really think most of us are going to give a damn what some moron in a white coat says?

I think that less docs and researchers supported the protests than it seems; these people are very much at risk of being #cancelled which is disastrous given their student loan debt, many who opposed what happened likely kept their mouths shut

All I know is the fact that these doctors are at least by their own standards "endangering the public" by tacitly consenting to conduct they truly believe is unsafe and counter-productive out of "fear" of a political backlash from a bunch of idiots does not make me trust them more. Abdicating your beliefs and moral duties as a doctor out of fear of Jacobins with barely a double-digit IQ does not in anyway suggest science is the principle guiding the decisions. When the anti-lockdown protests were happening we were told the protesters weren't about to "scare" the so-called experts into prematurely backing down.

Yea they lost credibility by picking and choosing exceptions to the quarantine rules. However, I do believe you’re not giving enough credit to the Jacobins, they transformed the entire nations narrative from “going outside = grandma dead” to just ignoring COVID
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 07:27:27 PM »

So are we making progress or no? Deaths fall but fauci out here saying million new cases a day
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2020, 07:23:30 PM »

My state and county are a good example of how things can get really bad again after everything was seemingly under control. We were the “model of the country” for months after initially being hard hit, and as soon as everyone decided to let their guard down, cases are spiking again, worse than they’ve been since March. Reopening really only works when a large majority take it seriously, and don’t let down their guard too quickly. Sadly, a lot of young people are just assuming that the virus is yesterday’s news (“COVID is sooooo last March!”) and that everything’s totally fine now. If we jump the gun on more, like opening schools too quickly, things are going to get much worse and fast.

Yeah, a real problem has been getting people to understand that this is going to be a phased process. It can't just be "stay at home order" and "back to normal" with nothing in between.

Ppl understand the process imo, i just don't think that they care unless they are directly affected
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 01:29:15 PM »

https://apnews.com/b9d636f28a9d08ebcceee2e1adcacb69

Arkansas police chief standing up to the commie nanny state by not enforcing mask order
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2020, 01:33:27 PM »

https://apnews.com/b9d636f28a9d08ebcceee2e1adcacb69

Arkansas police chief standing up to the commie nanny state by not enforcing mask order

People's Republic of Arkansas huh?

It's truly eye opening how the coronavirus has become simply another chapter in our ongoing culture wars.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2020, 09:59:03 PM »

Arch pls
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies