COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:04:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 266407 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« on: April 19, 2020, 05:22:42 PM »

The media is falling face flat on their coverage of these protests. Absolutely shameful.

The lack of visible political activism on the left over the course of Trump’s entire terms has been embarrassing.  It really has become the new “silent majority”.  Why is no one organizing protests in favor of more testing?  More generally, where were all the protests a few months ago supporting Trump’s impeachment?  Or two years ago protesting his immigration policy?

Um, b/c right now smart and logical people know to stay in the damn house and not be out protesting *anything* right now.

I can only hope that the general public keeps up what they're doing and doesn't get riled up by these protesters, who are being given ridiculous amounts of coverage when they represent not even 0.0000001% of the population
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 07:19:02 PM »

anyone else wanting to go out and join one of these protests against the quarantine? heard there was one in Nashville today, should have gone but I was tied up in Knox :<

obvious troll is trolling. reported.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 06:11:11 AM »

anyone else wanting to go out and join one of these protests against the quarantine? heard there was one in Nashville today, should have gone but I was tied up in Knox :<

obvious troll is trolling. reported.
He isn’t a troll, he just is greatly uninformed as to the severity of the crisis.

I mean, I'm greatly informed as to the severity that this crises poses to young people who are just starting out their careers. My wife and I are lucky that we are "essential employees" but I worry about all the other people our age just starting out and what this hysteria has done to the economy.

I'm honestly not worried about the elderly and immunocompromised. They can quarantine of their own accord, if they wish, but at least where I live, it seems like the older people are the least likely to do so, so I mean that's on them.

Like I said, if I die I die lol it's fine not like I care.

what kind of psychotic mess of a post is this
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 12:39:32 PM »

Wolf is killing it. He extended it to May 8th but these are the key points:

Governor Tom Wolf said on Monday that a statewide stay at home order will remain in effect until at least May 8, but some restrictions are starting to be eased.
Wolf also said more businesses and regions could be allowed to reopen then, but he said standards for reopening the state will be guided by a data-driven and regional approach.
The curbside pickup for liquor stores will allow officials to observe how limiting person-to-person contact can lead to curbside pickup for other industries, the governor said.
He pointed out that there is no vaccine, no cure, and no antibody test so most restrictions and the stay at home order cannot be relaxed.

So basically, May 8 is a good date, and then we re-evaluate where we are, and they're going to see how things go with the curbside pickup to adapt to other industries. But again, he also aded that there is no vaccine, no cure, no antibody test available in PA right now, so we can't go crazy reopening. Guided by the data. What a concept.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 07:33:11 PM »

So Georgia has one of the biggest hotspots in the nation right now and Kemp decides right now is a good idea to literally reopen the entire state. Good lord I'm not sure there is a dumber thing to do right now. He's not even doing the phase reopening. He's just straight up reopening theaters, movie theaters, barber shops, restaurants, bowling alleys, GYMS?! Does he want the state to have the most cases in the nation?!
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 07:34:54 PM »

With the rate that states are going, this is going to be a continued outright pandemic for months ahead with more cases and more deaths. It's shameful.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 07:47:49 PM »

With the rate that states are going, this is going to be a continued outright pandemic for months ahead with more cases and more deaths. It's shameful.

What is your timeline for reopening the economy? A shutdown lasting for several months is unsustainable.

The economy shouldn't reopen until June IMO. The nation still doesn't have a clear handle on this, and people need to stop prioritizing the economy over lives. If the economy reopens too soon, which it feels like it is, then we are going to have more and more loss of life. Not to mention when you have states like Georgia which aren't even following the "powerpoint" that Trump's admin set up, and are just straight up reopening everything like nothing happened.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 05:23:32 AM »

Trump says the country should reopen, yet he wants to ban immigration completely? Once again, zero sense. Not surprised
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 05:26:12 AM »

I think that the following states should begin opening up now(Phase two)
-Alaska (except for Anchorage)
-Hawaii
-Parts of East Washington
-Idaho (Except for Boise)
-Montana
-Vermont
-Maine (except for Portland)

By May 1st, many more States and the excluded cities should be able to safely begin opening up.
 That being said, some States are doing things way too prematurely. Some need a sharper decline in cases (Like Georgia) or significantly more testing (Like Colorado) before it is safe.

What's stopping someone from going from say, California/Washington/Oregon, and going to Montana and causing another outbreak though?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 05:45:02 AM »

How would you rate ___’s overall response to the coronavirus outbreak?

Your state governor: 72% excellent/good, 26% not so good/poor
President Trump: 44% excellent/good, 54% not so good/poor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/most-rate-trumps-coronavirus-response-negatively-and-expect-crowds-will-be-unsafe-until-summer-post-u-md-poll-finds/2020/04/20/0b436dda-833b-11ea-a3eb-e9fc93160703_story.html
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 07:58:09 AM »

The virus can spread *VERY* easily. Which makes it even more idiotic that Georgia is just straight up reopening everything this early.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 09:12:22 AM »

Patrick went on: "There are more important things than living, and that's saving this country for my children and my grandchildren and saving this country for all of us.

"I don't want to die, nobody wants to die but man we have got to take some risk and get back in the game and get this country back up and running," he told the Tucker Carlson Tonight host.

Isn't he also the one who said we may have to sacrifice a bunch of old people so young people can live
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 11:53:35 AM »

Italy now at it's lowest numbers since early March.

Spain now at it's lowest numbers since early March.

Germany now at it's lowest numbers since early March.

Japan's case rates are currently freefalling.

On the flip side, some countries that were late to the game, such as Russia and Turkey, are now seeing case surges.

Pennslyvania just recorded its highest # of deaths in a single day (360)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 11:54:33 AM »

New Jersey-ians approve of Murphy and all of the measures that he's put in place. Shocked... looks like the majority of people actually WANT to keep distancing until its safe!

Gov. Murphy approval: 72/21 (+51)
Trump job approval: 41/56 (-15)

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_nj_042120/
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 12:04:15 PM »

Italy now at it's lowest numbers since early March.

Spain now at it's lowest numbers since early March.

Germany now at it's lowest numbers since early March.

Japan's case rates are currently freefalling.

On the flip side, some countries that were late to the game, such as Russia and Turkey, are now seeing case surges.

Pennslyvania just recorded its highest # of deaths in a single day (360)

My data shows me that the most deaths in a day in PA from covid was on the 14th.

Today, PA reached it's lowest new case numbers since March.

Untrue. Today's # of new cases (1,296) even topped yesterdays (948) which was the lowest it's been in a few weeks

You're right about deaths, there was 584 announced on 4/14, but that was due to a backlog. No data yet on if today's was due to a backlog as well. Either way, up a lot from yesterdays (92 new deaths)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 03:06:25 PM »

https://twitter.com/jonmladd/status/1252620525647663104

It looks like there will be no vote-by-mail in the coming elections, meaning that the results will be illegitimate.

It's April. There's still a ton of time and a ton of bills left.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 07:14:04 PM »

The US is going to set a new daily record for deaths today (at least according to the worldometers count).  The models that projected the peak to come around April 10 were clearly way off.

The peak in deaths isn't the same as a peak in new cases, and you must realize this is backlog right? It doesn't give an accurate picture into how many people are actually dying from this per day.

The cases are going to have a longer tail that many models predicted. Particularly with dumbass governors like in Georgia.

Well they haven't shown that they will. Every moment throughout the crisis, the result has been better than the projections. Almost every state, minus a handful, are seeing new case rates falling. Backlogs don't count.

I doubt that the reopening of a select amount of businesses in GA will have any real effect.

gurl where are you getting "select" from? the entire state is basically reopening
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 06:51:10 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 04:00:57 PM »

It’s funny how everyone is attacking only GOP governors.
Jared Polis is reopening tattoo parlors and nail salons and has yet to be the target of media outrage. It’s ludicrous.

This isn't true - Polis is reopening, but taking a phased approach. Colorado isn't going full Georgia
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 04:12:06 PM »

It’s funny how everyone is attacking only GOP governors.
Jared Polis is reopening tattoo parlors and nail salons and has yet to be the target of media outrage. It’s ludicrous.

This isn't true - Polis is reopening, but taking a phased approach. Colorado isn't going full Georgia
Except that “phase approach” opens up several completely nonessential businesses with high risk of close contact, all while testing is ridiculously low and cases per day are still at a peak.
Sure, it’s not Georgia, but that’s not a good metric.
Other GOP governors are being attacked and would rightfully be attacked taking the same steps Polis did.

Polis does deserve some scrutiny for some of it I agree -

“Retail curbside delivery, any retail that wants to do that, that starts immediately April 27,” Polis said. Other retail would be allowed to open May 1 with some restrictions.

He said that elective surgeries would be allowed starting Monday.

Large workplaces, starting May 4, will be allowed to open at 50 percent capacity, and are advised to have symptom and temperature checks for workers as they arrive.

Polis said his own goal for bars, restaurants and clubs to reopen would be mid-May, but that he’d have to wait for data on the effects of other changes to make those decisions.

Retail curbside delivery is fine. And "other restrictions" for other retail is dubious and vague. However, large workplaces allowing 50% capacity on May 4th sounds like a recipe for disaster, since temperature checks really don't do much. The most idiotic thing Polis is doing is saying bars, restaurants, and clubs can reopen mid-May. Clubs and bars literally have people packed on top of each other. No state should have them open *anytime soon*. THAT is idiotic.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2020, 11:11:15 AM »

Illinois had its highest day yet.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2020, 01:33:44 PM »

This model doesn't take into account anything about how we have observed COVID-19 actually spreading thus far or environmental factors (like warmer weather, less reliance on public transit, etc.) that favor the South.  Urban areas have higher infection rates despite doing relatively more social distancing, and I don't expect that to change once things start gradually opening back up.

What are your thoughts on Georgia reopening tomorrow? Even Trump has said that he disagrees with that decision, and in my view, it is reckless. Sure, the South may have factors that work to its favor, but nothing can be taken for granted, and there should be at least some precautions in place when reopening the economy.

I think something's got to give in regards to the stay-at-home restrictions.  Georgia appears to be blazing a trail, but the relaxations are more measured then what is being reported in the media.  I don't see it as any less controlled than Colorado's phased-in reopening on April 26.  The most important aspect of Kemp's plan, IMO, is allowing hospitals to resume elective procedures (i.e., like hip replacement surgeries) with is going to help immensely with severe financial bleeding hospitals are seeing due to the cessation of most outpatient procedures. 

As far as I can tell, Colorado isn't reopening gyms and movie theaters.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2020, 05:33:36 AM »

It's hard to top everything he's said before, but Trump pretty much topped all the other stupid sh** he's said before yesterday by telling people to essentially inject clorox to cure the virus. My god we are doomed.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2020, 08:04:51 PM »

There are over 52,000 deaths in the USA, and he is being "sarcastic" during a Covid-19 pandemic briefing. Just think about that for a second or two.

Yeah, not sure why he went with this. That makes him look even WORSE tbh
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2020, 08:25:49 AM »

.... we are in the thick of this and people are trying to act like going up a mere 100k tests in a week is a good thing? We're basically at May and nationwide we can only do 1 million tests a week. That is an incredibly horrific number and a great failure by this admin.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies