OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:47:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 75
Author Topic: OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance  (Read 95947 times)
Rjjr77
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: April 14, 2022, 09:43:45 PM »

I don't think a letter from the Ohio establishment will change his mind. The only thing that could possibly affect his thinking is that laughably fake poll Mandel pushed out today that Trump could take seriously.

The Ohio Establishment was torn down and entirely remade after trump took over the ORP, wouldnt be surprised if this actually changed his mind. The kasich party in Ohio is dead.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1001 on: April 14, 2022, 09:51:35 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2022, 10:07:08 PM by The Pieman »

I don't think a letter from the Ohio establishment will change his mind. The only thing that could possibly affect his thinking is that laughably fake poll Mandel pushed out today that Trump could take seriously.

The Ohio Establishment was torn down and entirely remade after trump took over the ORP, wouldnt be surprised if this actually changed his mind. The kasich party in Ohio is dead.
I doubt it'll change his mind. I don't think Trump values the Ohio establishment's opinion on the race more than MTG, Hawley and Tucker's.
And the reasons they gave won't change his mind either because Trump already knows what Vance said in '16 and has forgiven him for it (and all of us obviously know the real reason they don't want Vance is that he's not hard-right economically).

Like I said the only thing which might dissuade Trump is if he thinks Vance can't win. Trafalgar is releasing a poll on this race soon so that might decide it.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1002 on: April 15, 2022, 02:06:34 AM »

He needs to endorse soon though; early voting has already begun for nearly a week now.

I imagine those who are waiting for Trump's endorsement would just vote in-person, no?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1003 on: April 15, 2022, 06:42:00 AM »

I doubt it'll change his mind. I don't think Trump values the Ohio establishment's opinion on the race more than MTG, Hawley and Tucker's.
And the reasons they gave won't change his mind either because Trump already knows what Vance said in '16 and has forgiven him for it (and all of us obviously know the real reason they don't want Vance is that he's not hard-right economically).

Like I said the only thing which might dissuade Trump is if he thinks Vance can't win. Trafalgar is releasing a poll on this race soon so that might decide it.

Vance is pretty hard right on economic issues (it’s part of why Thiel has gone all in on him), he just uses *somewhat* different rhetoric than Gibbons.  There are a few reasons the Ohio GOP establishment is likely hostile to Vance:

1) Timkin is regarded as “one of their own” by many of the Trumpists who now form the new OH GOP establishment, especially given that she helped lead the Trumpist takeover of the state party and purge/dismantlement of much of the Kasich/Matt Borges wing of the OH GOP.  By contrast, some see Vance as a Johnny-Come-Lately, Silicon Valley interloper trying to steal the seat from under them.  

2) While he isn’t utterly despised for it by everyone the way former OSU College Democrats President Josh Mandel is, there is a general sentiment that Vance is a phony who was a #NeverTrumper until it became politically convenient to be pro-Trump and now expects to just cut in front of everyone else.  

3) Supporters of any other candidate obviously would rather Trump stay neutral than endorse Vance (or anyone else who isn’t their preferred candidate Tongue )
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1004 on: April 15, 2022, 07:07:55 AM »

Vance is pretty hard right on economic issues (it’s part of why Thiel has gone all in on him), he just uses *somewhat* different rhetoric than Gibbons.  There are a few reasons the Ohio GOP establishment is likely hostile to Vance:

1) Timkin is regarded as “one of their own” by many of the Trumpists who now form the new OH GOP establishment, especially given that she helped lead the Trumpist takeover of the state party and purge/dismantlement of much of the Kasich/Matt Borges wing of the OH GOP.  By contrast, some see Vance as a Johnny-Come-Lately, Silicon Valley interloper trying to steal the seat from under them.  

2) While he isn’t utterly despised for it by everyone the way former OSU College Democrats President Josh Mandel is, there is a general sentiment that Vance is a phony who was a #NeverTrumper until it became politically convenient to be pro-Trump and now expects to just cut in front of everyone else.  

3) Supporters of any other candidate obviously would rather Trump stay neutral than endorse Vance (or anyone else who isn’t their preferred candidate Tongue )
Actually I agree with you, you made some good points.
Anyway I do expect Vance to get the endorsement, likely after Trafalgar's poll comes out and shows Vance doing pretty well (he's always done better in their polls than other pollsters). Trump will either endorse Vance or no one, and endorsing no one is giving up his leverage in future races, as what was the point of all the candidates groveling for his endorsement if he didn't end up endorsing anyway? He also wouldn't look like he's giving in to the establishment.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1005 on: April 15, 2022, 08:18:43 AM »

Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1006 on: April 15, 2022, 10:29:19 AM »

And Mandel tried to release a fake poll here

Anyways, hello Sen Vance
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1007 on: April 15, 2022, 04:04:01 PM »

Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1008 on: April 15, 2022, 04:10:53 PM »

Looks like Loser Mandel's fake poll was considered what it really is - Trash

Here's to a Senator Vance in 2023 and hopefully a Senator Davidson or Rennacci in 2025
Sub Jero
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1009 on: April 15, 2022, 04:23:33 PM »

Won’t be enough.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #1010 on: April 15, 2022, 04:29:08 PM »

And Mandel tried to release a fake poll here

Anyways, hello Sen Vance
Fantastic endorsement !
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #1011 on: April 15, 2022, 04:46:57 PM »

I don’t know whether Trump is just stupid, has useless advisers, or just naturally gravitates to other frauds. Vance is the most likely to lose a GE & the most likely to be disloyal should they both be in office together. Mandel, Timken actually believe in Trumpist lunacy, and Gibbons is a Rand Paul type who will go along with the isolationist stuff. Vance quite plainly believes in nothing, he’s like Lindsey Graham. There is literally no upside to this for Trump.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #1012 on: April 15, 2022, 04:52:32 PM »

I don’t know whether Trump is just stupid, has useless advisers, or just naturally gravitates to other frauds. Vance is the most likely to lose a GE & the most likely to be disloyal should they both be in office together. Mandel, Timken actually believe in Trumpist lunacy, and Gibbons is a Rand Paul type who will go along with the isolationist stuff. Vance quite plainly believes in nothing, he’s like Lindsey Graham. There is literally no upside to this for Trump.
Most likely to lose a GE..? It's Safe R either way.

The possibility of a republican losing Ohio in this environment shouldn't even be discussed seriously.
Sub Jero
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1013 on: April 15, 2022, 04:57:06 PM »

Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1014 on: April 15, 2022, 04:58:37 PM »

The possibility of a republican losing Ohio in this environment shouldn't even be discussed seriously.

The most recent GCB was D+3, now I expect the Republicans to win both this senate race and the eventual total vote, but acting like this is some R+20 year is ridiculous. It’s more than possible that a guy as unlikeable, inexperienced and impossible to relate to like Vance could lose - even if I don’t personally expect him to. Whilst there’s no chance even a creep like Mandel would lose it.

If anyone in this race has Akin/Moore style skeletons in his closet, it’ll be Vance.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #1015 on: April 15, 2022, 05:02:27 PM »

The most recent GCB was D+3, now I expect the Republicans to win both this senate race and the eventual total vote, but acting like this is some R+20 year is ridiculous. It’s more than possible that a guy as unlikeable, inexperienced and impossible to relate to like Vance could lose - even if I don’t personally expect him to. Whilst there’s no chance even a creep like Mandel would lose it.

If anyone in this race has Akin/Moore style skeletons in his closet, it’ll be Vance.
A +3 R Generic Ballot is virtually unheard of in April of a midterm year.. the GOP vote tends to consolidate in the fall, and there is still a ton of undecideds which are likely to lean R.

Even if it eventually ends up +3, that's 6 points to the right of 2020...Ohio is Safe R.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1016 on: April 15, 2022, 05:04:06 PM »

Moreover, Vance, out of all the candidates, is the one who is closest to Trump's views, and Mandel, you could argue, is just as much an opportunist as he is. This is to say nothing of his close friendship with Trump Jr., which was a major reason why he got Trump's endorsement.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1017 on: April 15, 2022, 05:14:31 PM »

Yes, I don't see Vance relating well with the young white college-educated urban internet forum poster crowd.

Jeez people, y'all act like because YOU can't relate to him, nobody else can. When Vance wins the GE easily, it's going to be another smack to the face to how detached this crowd is from everyone else.

And I don't even want to defend Vance here. But this is absurd.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1018 on: April 15, 2022, 05:19:45 PM »

Yes, I don't see Vance relating well with the young white college-educated urban internet forum poster crowd.

Jeez people, y'all act like because YOU can't relate to him, nobody else can. When Vance wins the GE easily, it's going to be another smack to the face to how detached this crowd is from everyone else.

I've grown increasingly wary of how Atlas evaluates political candidates. I've also said before that I feel many posters on here wish that this would be a one-party country, with Democrats, and only Democrats, holding political power. There doesn't seem to be a tolerance for a diversity of political thought by many here, and it is certainly distressing.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1019 on: April 15, 2022, 05:26:32 PM »

Congratulations to Senator-elect Vance.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1020 on: April 15, 2022, 05:41:37 PM »

Just…what on Earth are you talking about? Literally his only supporters were aggressively online before a couple of weeks ago, there’s a reason he was on 4% before Trump came in to the picture.

If he wins the primary it’ll be because of Trump, if he wins the GE it’ll be because of the R next to his name - in spite of everything else about him.

If I’m guilty of overestimating people then so be it, but I think there is something deeply wrong with you if you believe a multi millionaire hedge fund guy who worked for *Peter Thiel* and changes ideologies the way normal people change clothes is ‘relatable’.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #1021 on: April 15, 2022, 05:41:46 PM »

I really believe Mandel actually had the greatest chance of losing an all but impossible to lose race.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1022 on: April 15, 2022, 05:46:44 PM »

I really believe Mandel actually had the greatest chance of losing an all but impossible to lose race.

In Mandel’s defence, he has actually won a statewide election.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1023 on: April 15, 2022, 05:47:03 PM »

Congratulations to Senator-elect Vance.

There are many Ds out there registered to vote the Approval rating is not 33% they're Lying
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1024 on: April 15, 2022, 07:14:30 PM »

I've also said before that I feel many posters on here wish that this would be a one-party country, with Democrats, and only Democrats, holding political power.

As long as the elections were free and fair, what’s wrong with this?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies