NC GOV 2024 - Stein (D) vs Robinson (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 04:42:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NC GOV 2024 - Stein (D) vs Robinson (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: NC GOV 2024 - Stein (D) vs Robinson (R)  (Read 22033 times)
JMT

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: October 18, 2023, 05:42:44 AM »

I don't see it. Robinson has enough institutional support already I think he wins no matter what.

Agreed
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #201 on: October 18, 2023, 06:46:18 AM »

This is like national Republicans trying to beat Trump. It's just not happening.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #202 on: October 18, 2023, 07:11:18 AM »

I don't see it. Robinson has enough institutional support already I think he wins no matter what.

The general election too. North Carolina is still a red state.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #203 on: October 18, 2023, 07:43:03 AM »

No. It’s a battleground state.
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #204 on: October 18, 2023, 08:27:32 PM »

We literally won NC-GOV both of the most recent times. NC may be red at the federal level, but not at the state level.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #205 on: October 18, 2023, 08:36:13 PM »

We literally won NC-GOV both of the most recent times. NC may be red at the federal level, but not at the state level.

It’s not a red state any more than PA a blue one.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #206 on: October 18, 2023, 09:14:23 PM »

Stein barely survived in 2020 even with incumbency advantage. Robinson won by a healthier 3.6% even after the controversial stuff came out. From what I've seen nothing new has come out since, do the Democrats just plan on using it again and hope it works this time? I mean I guess it could, since its more famous race. However, people writing Robinson off already are jumping the gun.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #207 on: October 19, 2023, 12:04:34 AM »

Stein barely survived in 2020 even with incumbency advantage. Robinson won by a healthier 3.6% even after the controversial stuff came out. From what I've seen nothing new has come out since, do the Democrats just plan on using it again and hope it works this time? I mean I guess it could, since its more famous race. However, people writing Robinson off already are jumping the gun.

The theory, which I believe has some weight, is that Robinson won cause the dem nominee campaigned poorly and also the fact no one really cares about a Lt. Gov election so no one paid attention, especially when you had a number of higher profile races going on (like the AG)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #208 on: October 25, 2023, 03:58:08 PM »

If Robinson actually wins next year, the federal government should find a way to mandate every North Carolinian to report to weekly IOP care.
JMT

« Reply #209 on: October 25, 2023, 04:47:24 PM »

Bush did 311
Vatnos
Rookie
United States

« Reply #210 on: October 26, 2023, 01:12:23 PM »

The problem with NC is that the cities aren't big enough.

Wake (Raleigh) and Mecklenburg (Charlotte), the largest 2 counties by far, are 1 million apiece, and the state has 10 million people, so that is only 20% of the population. NC has other cities of course, and when you add up the next 5 largest: Guilford (Greensboro), Forsyth (Winston-Salem), Durham (Durham), Cumberland (Fayetteville), and Buncombe (Asheville), that gets you to 4 million or 40%.

All of those cities are blue and yet they are outweighed by NC's huge rural population which is getting redder.

Pretty much the only chance NC dems have is to embiggen the major cities as much as possible until the percentage of the population in the top 7 counties is more than 50% of the state.

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #211 on: October 26, 2023, 07:16:58 PM »

Wake (Raleigh) and Mecklenburg (Charlotte), the largest 2 counties by far, are 1 million apiece, and the state has 10 million people, so that is only 20% of the population. NC has other cities of course, and when you add up the next 5 largest: Guilford (Greensboro), Forsyth (Winston-Salem), Durham (Durham), Cumberland (Fayetteville), and Buncombe (Asheville), that gets you to 4 million or 40%.

All of those cities are blue and yet they are outweighed by NC's huge rural population which is getting redder.

Pretty much the only chance NC dems have is to embiggen the major cities as much as possible until the percentage of the population in the top 7 counties is more than 50% of the state.

The cities are only getting bluer too.
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #212 on: October 27, 2023, 03:21:01 PM »

A governor race and a lt. governor race are totally different ballgames. Robinson is pretty much the Mastriano of NC when it comes to nuttiness and that's bound to hurt him.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #213 on: October 27, 2023, 03:49:35 PM »

The other 60% still has decently populated places like New Hanover County, Pitt County, Watauga County, and Orange County. All were won by Biden. And Cabarrus County is swinging decidedly left with Union following by a slower extent.

It’s not that dramatic of a hill to climb for Dems, but they keep seeming to come up just short in every federal race.
Bush did 311
Vatnos
Rookie
United States

« Reply #214 on: November 03, 2023, 12:18:09 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2023, 12:22:17 AM by Bush did 311 »

Flipping Union and Cabarras would be the same effect as making Mecklenburg bigger essentially. Those are the 8th and 9th largest counties and the only red ones in the top 10. New Hanover at 10th is a swing county. Wilmington is a college town and a nice coastal city but there are a lot of retirement communities on the coast as well. It's too early to say if it'll stay in the blue column.

It's not necessarily that Democrats are doing things super wrong it's that Republicans were extremely effective at seizing power when they were at their strongest, locking down a permanent majority that will last regardless of demographic trends through gerrymandering, and passing a barrage of bills that governed the state like it was a dark red state when they managed to get a governor in, and then shifting nearly all executive powers to the legislature when their governor lost reelection.

There is a certain type of lefty that is totally fine with living in a red state and being the political minority. But, the people that move to Austin or Nashville know what they're getting into and chose to do so. The people that moved here in the 90s, or who were born here, didn't necessarily sign up to be treated like unwelcome guests in their own home by a "tyranny of the minority". So, I think there have been issues with brain drain and people fleeing that have slowed the trend in the cities compared to the early 00s.

Ultimately for dems to do better they need to offer their voters here a coherent path to fix the gerrymandering and ways they would try to improve the material conditions of their voters once they got power.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #215 on: November 03, 2023, 12:28:16 AM »

Flipping Union and Cabarras would be the same effect as making Mecklenburg bigger essentially. Those are the 8th and 9th largest counties and the only red ones in the top 10. New Hanover at 10th is a swing county. Wilmington is a college town and a nice coastal city but there are a lot of retirement communities on the coast as well. It's too early to say if it'll stay in the blue column.

It's not necessarily that Democrats are doing things super wrong it's that Republicans were extremely effective at seizing power when they were at their strongest, locking down a permanent majority that will last regardless of demographic trends through gerrymandering, and passing a barrage of bills that governed the state like it was a dark red state when they managed to get a governor in, and then shifting nearly all executive powers to the legislature when their governor lost reelection.

There is a certain type of lefty that is totally fine with living in a red state and being the political minority. But, the people that move to Austin or Nashville know what they're getting into and chose to do so. The people that moved here in the 90s, or who were born here, didn't necessarily sign up to be treated like unwelcome guests in their own home by a "tyranny of the minority". So, I think there have been issues with brain drain and people fleeing that have slowed the trend in the cities compared to the early 00s.

Ultimately for dems to do better they need to offer their voters here a coherent path to fix the gerrymandering and ways they would try to improve the material conditions of their voters once they got power.

Coastal retirements communities are the bane of Carolina Democrats
JMT

« Reply #216 on: December 08, 2023, 01:31:09 PM »

SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #217 on: December 11, 2023, 07:40:57 PM »

I don't think this will move the needle much in the primary. Tillis is basically persona non grata with the GOP base in North Carolina now, and I expect him to retire after two terms like Pat Toomey did. Unlike Toomey, he'll almost certainly be replaced by another Republican in 2026.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #218 on: December 11, 2023, 08:12:25 PM »

I don't think this will move the needle much in the primary. Tillis is basically persona non grata with the GOP base in North Carolina now, and I expect him to retire after two terms like Pat Toomey did. Unlike Toomey, he'll almost certainly be replaced by another Republican in 2026.

Depends on who's president. If it's Trump I expect the seat to flip.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #219 on: December 11, 2023, 09:04:14 PM »

It won't be a Trump Prez

Depends on who's president. If it's Trump I expect the seat to flip.
Bush did 311
Vatnos
Rookie
United States

« Reply #220 on: December 12, 2023, 11:09:48 AM »

Cooper actually could win that. Depends who's president. NC still follows the oldschool pattern of voting 2-4 points redder in midterms compared to presidential years. Many states are the opposite of that now.

NC has resisted changing intraparty trends. I don't think the democrat or republican at the top of the ticket makes that much difference. It will be a straight partisan vote every time and better turnout wins. Changing platforms of the parties have little effect on the outcome for now. There is also little to no 3rd party influence here. Party loyalty is stronger. A very inelastic state.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #221 on: February 28, 2024, 02:47:06 PM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #222 on: February 28, 2024, 04:47:14 PM »

Seems like Democrats have a major cash advantage most of the time in all critical races.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #223 on: February 29, 2024, 12:02:26 AM »

I think NC will split it's ticket again this year.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #224 on: March 05, 2024, 07:35:55 PM »

Holocaust denier Mark Robinson has won the Republican nomination for Governor.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies