UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:28:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 211 212 213 [214] 215 216 217 218 219 ... 236
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 259637 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5325 on: February 13, 2024, 10:10:24 AM »

Pile on all you want. I don't really care.

I voted for Humza because I could not vote for Kate Forbes because of her views on voting against gay marriage in 2023.

Ash Regan, defected to Alba. My judgement there was correct.

I am a social liberal. I was a social liberal when I was a member of the Conservative Party. I make no apologies for that. It's entirely independent of being an SNP supporter.

What I'm trying to wrap my head around is why if 'x issues matter' (and they do) are people telling me; well human rights abuses and homophobia is tangibly different if the country is a democracy or merely claims to be. And it's okay to visit family in countries like that. And politicians being paid or lobbied by outright dictatorships like Qatar is what it is.

But Humza Yousaf taking a holiday...

I have specifically said it's not 'fine'. I'm pushing back against the narrative that it's somewhat worse.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #5326 on: February 13, 2024, 10:36:52 AM »

I don't think anybody is denying you're a social liberal or saying that you should have voted for a different candidate for SNP leader. They're just attacking you for being a hack.

Regarding the point about family, it's different because seeing your family is a necessary part of most people's emotional wellbeing, and you cannot choose where your family live. Whereas you can choose where you holiday.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5327 on: February 13, 2024, 10:54:45 AM »

Ah, tbh I had assumed this was family related so was prepared to cut Humza some slack over it.

If not, well.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5328 on: February 13, 2024, 11:01:55 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2024, 11:05:51 AM by afleitch »

I don't think anybody is denying you're a social liberal or saying that you should have voted for a different candidate for SNP leader. They're just attacking you for being a hack.

Regarding the point about family, it's different because seeing your family is a necessary part of most people's emotional wellbeing, and you cannot choose where your family live. Whereas you can choose where you holiday.

You can chose where you holiday as I've said. I wouldn't holiday in Qatar or even spend an overnight transfer in Dubai. But for that same reason I'm more inclined to take issue with friends who chose to live and work and do business there, than those who holiday there.

And in the wider political sphere that should also carry much greater weight.

I was disappointed in Humza meeting with Erdogan. But likewise critical of the disproportionate hand-wringing over the meeting because Turkey is a UK ally. There are regular government meetings with Erdogan and there are normal diplomatic relations. The issue was Humza doing it 'unchaperoned.' The UK and subsequently the devolved nations have diplomatic and business relationships with the worst of regimes.

And we still holiday in Turkey.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #5329 on: February 15, 2024, 05:22:39 AM »

Ladies and gentlemen, we are in Rishession
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5330 on: February 15, 2024, 06:17:47 AM »

Don't worry everyone, 'BBC Verify' is here to explain that this is the 'mildest start' to a recession for fifty years, which apparently means everything is Actually Fine.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5331 on: February 15, 2024, 08:02:14 AM »

I know its often said, but the initial BBC framing here really could have been dictated by Tory Central Office itself. It will be interesting if the resulting pushback causes that to change later today.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5332 on: February 15, 2024, 07:42:30 PM »

Sunak is way better at causing recessions than Biden is.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5333 on: February 16, 2024, 10:42:14 AM »

A "technical" recession has been followed by "technical" byelection reverses. Any coming GE defeat for the Tories will also be "technical" because of an insufficiency of enthusiasm for Starmer. Or something.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5334 on: February 16, 2024, 05:18:58 PM »

A "technical" recession has been followed by "technical" byelection reverses. Any coming GE defeat for the Tories will also be "technical" because of an insufficiency of enthusiasm for Starmer. Or something.

A lack of enthusiasm for Starmer - I'm definitely not hugely excited about his policies - won't cause Labour to lose this election. But it's a problem for government.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5335 on: February 16, 2024, 06:46:08 PM »

A lack of enthusiasm for Starmer - I'm definitely not hugely excited about his policies - won't cause Labour to lose this election. But it's a problem for government.

So, he'll be your Joe Biden?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5336 on: February 16, 2024, 07:33:02 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2024, 09:15:42 PM by Torrain »

So, he'll be your Joe Biden?

If Starmer leads a beleaguered government defined by weak policy delivery and a charisma vacuum, it’s not Biden they’ll compare him to…

TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #5337 on: February 16, 2024, 07:59:15 PM »

As it happens I think Starmer will be a one-term Prime Minister, but Labour won't necessarily be a one-term government.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5338 on: February 16, 2024, 08:20:36 PM »

Despite my deep scepticism of Starmer's leadership, odds are that Labour are re-elected imo. The brand damage to the Tories from the last term (especially the mini-budget), and the economy this term has also been unusually bad so Labour might have better timing in the economic cycle. The Tories are unlikely to help themselves in opposition either.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #5339 on: February 16, 2024, 10:03:40 PM »

Despite my deep scepticism of Starmer's leadership, odds are that Labour are re-elected imo. The brand damage to the Tories from the last term (especially the mini-budget), and the economy this term has also been unusually bad so Labour might have better timing in the economic cycle. The Tories are unlikely to help themselves in opposition either.

Does anybody seriously think Western economies will get better in the medium run, especially Britain's?! It'll take years to fix their housing market issue. I listened to that famous pod and Alistair Campbell saying the number of 25-39 year old home owners compared to the 90s is 22% lower, when even in all the other decaying economies its single digits...that's an entire lost generation...Starmer should conscript every retired pensioner to be retrained in brick laying and announce a national mobilisation to build a new city somewhere empty and make it the capital.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5340 on: February 17, 2024, 09:11:44 AM »

In other local news, Transport for London have announced the names for the London Overground lines.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/feb/15/london-overground-new-names-and-colours-for-six-lines-revealed

The Liberty line isn't actually that bad a name.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5341 on: February 17, 2024, 09:27:37 AM »

The Liberty line isn't actually that bad a name.

It's a rather nice historical reference.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5342 on: February 17, 2024, 10:24:51 AM »

As it happens I think Starmer will be a one-term Prime Minister, but Labour won't necessarily be a one-term government.

Let's not forget his age, after all.

(he would be the oldest PM to come to power after winning an election since when?)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5343 on: February 17, 2024, 11:37:49 AM »

Of course, he's Sir Keir. Not many PMs these days have their knighthood before entering Number 10. Last one would be Sir Anthony Eden - I'm not counting Douglas-Home, a hereditary peer.
MayorCarcetti
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5344 on: February 17, 2024, 07:25:45 PM »

(he would be the oldest PM to come to power after winning an election since when?)
For the first time, after winning an election? Atlee in 1945, who was 62 years and 6 months (if it's an October or November election, Starmer will still fall short of Atlee's age, turns 62 in September).

Honorable mentions: Churchill returned to power at 75 and 3 months in 1950 via an election. Jim Callaghan became PM in 1976 just a week or so after he turned 64.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5345 on: February 18, 2024, 05:40:28 AM »

Keir not looking 62 (he could have passed for late 40s when he was Brexit Sec!) means it’s often forgotten that nearly all the senior cabinet jobs are filled by people a lot younger than him- Phillipson, Mahmood, Streeting, Jonny Reynolds
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5346 on: February 18, 2024, 07:58:10 AM »

For the first time, after winning an election? Atlee in 1945, who was 62 years and 6 months (if it's an October or November election, Starmer will still fall short of Atlee's age, turns 62 in September).

Honorable mentions: Churchill returned to power at 75 and 3 months in 1950 via an election. Jim Callaghan became PM in 1976 just a week or so after he turned 64.

Churcill was a returnee, though he was in his mid-60s when first becoming PM.

Had forgotten that Attlee was that old, good call.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5347 on: February 18, 2024, 10:31:06 AM »
« Edited: February 18, 2024, 10:35:46 AM by 🦀🎂🦀🎂 »

Post Office Scandal is marching on: the former head of the Post Office is alleging he was deliberately instructed to delay payments to victims so Tories can "limp to election" with as much liquidity as possible. This would implicate Badenoch if it is true, and she has already delivered a denial on twitter.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5348 on: February 18, 2024, 01:30:31 PM »

I know Badenoch has a habit of making trouble for herself, but I would be... amused, if she actually finds a way to turn herself into the most high-profile casualty of the Post Office scandal, after everything that's happened so far.

Just seems dumb for someone with full access to parliamentary privilege in the Commons to choose to flirt with the sort of reputational damage you'd need to trigger a defamation case - out in the open on social media.
    Badger
    badger
    Atlas Legend
    United States

« Reply #5349 on: February 18, 2024, 03:31:31 PM »

Ladies and gentlemen, we are in Rishession

So from my general peanut gallery watching, the Tori seem to be dead man walking for the next election primarily based on a combination of gross incompetence to the point they couldn't organize a packet, plus just Tori fatigue after over a dozen years in power. Now there heading into a recession where voters will quite likely want to scalp them for the economy as well?

Obviously it's too early to tell given the mildest introduction to a recession ever blah blah blah blah thank you BBC, but am I overreacting and feeling that if a recession does actually kick in with a commiserate increase in unemployment that this could be at least as bad as 97?
    Pages: 1 ... 209 210 211 212 213 [214] 215 216 217 218 219 ... 236  
    « previous next »
    Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies