UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:42:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 216 217 218 [219] 220 221 222 223 224 ... 234
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 254605 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5450 on: March 11, 2024, 03:24:32 AM »

In all seriousness, she's seriously ill isn't she?

Nah, she’s already dead.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5451 on: March 11, 2024, 03:53:05 AM »

There's a very real difference in how the two Royal households are communicating health issues. I suspect that the Princess is not well and is recovering. I suspect the illness itself may be of a sensitive nature. But the radio silence has been disastrous because it resulted in this PR disaster which has had the 'Streisand Effect' of blowing up what was gossip and memes into actual news and discussion .
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5452 on: March 11, 2024, 04:30:47 AM »

It has been suggested that she has been/is having 'lots of physio' which for those that know is more revealing than the Kensington Palace sources that briefed it the other week seem to realize. I.e. it will mean having to learn to walk again. That's quite normal after major surgery, but does indicate that.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5453 on: March 11, 2024, 04:57:46 AM »

Rumours that a certain Nottinghamshire MP is joining Reform UK.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5454 on: March 11, 2024, 05:38:53 AM »

It has been suggested that she has been/is having 'lots of physio' which for those that know is more revealing than the Kensington Palace sources that briefed it the other week seem to realize. I.e. it will mean having to learn to walk again. That's quite normal after major surgery, but does indicate that.

What about for those that don’t know about that
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #5455 on: March 11, 2024, 05:48:48 AM »

Womb removal no?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5456 on: March 11, 2024, 05:51:06 AM »

The response.

Probably worse than saying nothing at all.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #5457 on: March 11, 2024, 05:53:15 AM »

Did they fire their communications person or something ?
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #5458 on: March 11, 2024, 06:12:51 AM »

I know only obsessives watch it but why do the BBC keep LK as their front person for the big Sunday show?

I heard she is going to host the election coverage and it’s just baffling- she just has a really weird ability to frame everything as terrible for labour, while giving the Conservatives a soft hand in a way that most other broadcasters don’t- I’d prefer Andrew Neil and we all know his politics!

But to be fair, she's also really bad at the basics of interviewing.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #5459 on: March 11, 2024, 06:27:06 AM »

I hadn't heard about LK doing the election coverage. It doesn't seem like a wise move. The Dimblebys had gravitas and were quite universally respected. Jo Coburn (who has done by-elections when the BBC has actually chosen to cover them) would be a better choice.   
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5460 on: March 11, 2024, 09:49:25 AM »
« Edited: March 11, 2024, 10:36:33 AM by CumbrianLefty »

And all told,  she isn't exactly great either.

Even if only for this one occasion, they could do worse than bring Paxman out of semi-retirement.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5461 on: March 11, 2024, 10:29:41 AM »

Nick Robinson before her was also rather right-wing too, wasn’t he? Though I don’t remember his bias shining through as much as LK’s does.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #5462 on: March 11, 2024, 12:15:02 PM »

Robinson was a student Conservative and his political opinions are clearly right of centre, but he's a better interviewer than Kuennsberg is and less likely to believe uncritically what his sources tell him, so he's capable of giving an ill-prepared Cabinet minister a handbagging in a way Kuennsberg simply isn't.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5463 on: March 11, 2024, 02:15:22 PM »

About? Oh. No, simply major surgery (or the sort of complications and follow-up ops that end up counting as the same thing). Just a slightly old-fashioned use of the language there; an habitual one.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5464 on: March 11, 2024, 02:39:47 PM »

Robinson was a student Conservative and his political opinions are clearly right of centre, but he's a better interviewer than Kuennsberg is and less likely to believe uncritically what his sources tell him, so he's capable of giving an ill-prepared Cabinet minister a handbagging in a way Kuennsberg simply isn't.

He was a 'wet' (back when the term still had a strong meaning) Tory. I believe his factional opponent in the Oxford Tories was none other than John Bercow. Mark Francois was also part of the 'wet' faction. He is another one who has changed his views!
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5465 on: March 12, 2024, 06:40:28 AM »

Funny if true.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5466 on: March 12, 2024, 06:41:51 AM »

Government people now openly gaslighting us by claiming that some of the most unequivocally racist and bigoted comments you will ever see were not racist and bigoted, ACTUALLY.

This is where we are, after 14 years of Tory rule. It has so clearly been a roaring success.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5467 on: March 12, 2024, 02:26:12 PM »

I just wonder if Kate indeed edited the picture, why did she assume nobody would notice? If it wasn't her, the guys running her social media aren't worth their money.
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #5468 on: March 12, 2024, 04:50:47 PM »

I'm still confident that there will be GE on 2nd May.

Fair number of Twitter sources stating that Sunak has been meeting Graham Brady (1922 Chairman) this evening. Supposedly about no-confidence letters.

Rwanda Bill is up next week, so I wonder if Sunak will do a "back me or sack me" if the bill is deemed unlawful. Then go on to blame everyone but themselves.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5469 on: March 13, 2024, 04:11:15 AM »

I'm still confident that there will be GE on 2nd May.

Fair number of Twitter sources stating that Sunak has been meeting Graham Brady (1922 Chairman) this evening. Supposedly about no-confidence letters.

Rwanda Bill is up next week, so I wonder if Sunak will do a "back me or sack me" if the bill is deemed unlawful. Then go on to blame everyone but themselves.

If he's not planning an election on the 2nd of May then he needs to rule it out ASAP (as in as soon as today, or the end of this week at the latest) to keep down the bottlejob accusations. Given his past form, though, he'll probably wait until the end of next week (the end of the plausible window in which it can be announced).
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5470 on: March 13, 2024, 04:22:21 AM »

On that subject, here's quite a piece from The Sun:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/26641310/rishi-sunak-warned-off-may-general-election/

The main points are:

- The 1922 Committee has urged Sunak not to go for May. Does this mean that Sunak is seriously considering it?

- At the same time, a minority is urging him to go for it.

- Sunak has been told that he could be in real danger of a coup after the local elections, something which has been talked about for quite a while.

- But here's the best bit by far:

A senior Tory source said: “Early is for the birds and seven months is a long time in politics. Just imagine what would happen if England won the Euros, Team GB had a hat full of gold at the Olympics — the landscape could be very different.”

Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #5471 on: March 13, 2024, 05:19:29 AM »

Sunak really has nothing to gain by ruling it out, even if he’s not going to have one in May.

We’ll say he bottled it if he rules it out, so it’s better to just say nothing and act like it’s a media concocted hysteria about an early election.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5472 on: March 13, 2024, 05:29:18 AM »

On that subject, here's quite a piece from The Sun:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/26641310/rishi-sunak-warned-off-may-general-election/

The main points are:

- The 1922 Committee has urged Sunak not to go for May. Does this mean that Sunak is seriously considering it?

- At the same time, a minority is urging him to go for it.

- Sunak has been told that he could be in real danger of a coup after the local elections, something which has been talked about for quite a while.

- But here's the best bit by far:

A senior Tory source said: “Early is for the birds and seven months is a long time in politics. Just imagine what would happen if England won the Euros, Team GB had a hat full of gold at the Olympics — the landscape could be very different.”

Weekend papers seemed to think the opposite. I think it quite plausible that a minority of Tory MPs are trying to bounce him into it, using the threat of a VoNC if it doesn't happen to get their way. But on past form, the PM might feel justified in calling their bluff.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #5473 on: March 13, 2024, 05:52:25 AM »

I think it's clear that opinion is divided in the parliamentary party and neither holding off nor calling an election is going to make everybody fall in line, but it's even more clear that the reason this is an issue is because Tory MPs are increasingly aware that Sunak is terrible at his job.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #5474 on: March 13, 2024, 06:07:48 AM »

As an Italian I feel obliged to remind the Tories of what happened in summer 2021.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 216 217 218 [219] 220 221 222 223 224 ... 234  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies