Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 02:11:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 625 626 627 628 629 [630] 631 632 633 634 635 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 930292 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15725 on: October 05, 2022, 06:50:03 AM »

Westerners who pathetically cry for peace always put the burden of seeking peace on Ukraine and the US but never Russia. I wonder why......

Well for one thing Zelensky signed a decree formally announcing the "impossible" prospect of peace negotiations between Ukraine and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

https://www.livemint.com/news/world/ukraine-zelensky-signs-decree-rule-out-negotiation-russia-vladimir-putin-impossible-11664876727245.html

It seems if there going to be a negotiated settlement then one side ruling out talks pretty much makes that difficult to take place.

Well, Putin just recently said that we would not negotiate over Kherson, Zaporizhzhia, Donetsk, and Luhansk. To be honest, Putin making that claim shows far more stubbornness than anything Zelenskyy has said. Ukraine, cannot, under any circumstances accept the loss of Kherson and Zaporizhzhia. One can make the (false) argument for the Donbas and Crimea, but it is insane to suggest that Ukraine ever renounce their claim to the two southern oblasts.

But is Russia making Ukraine accepting Kherson, Zaporizhzhia, Donetsk, and Luhansk as Russian territories a prerequisite for talks versus that is their current position?  It seems Ukraine is making Putin being gone a prerequisite for talks.  I am not saying that Ukraine is or is not justified in its position but I am merely making the narrow point that if anyone wants talks as early as possible to try to end this war they are better off pressuring Ukraine than Russia to drop their prerequisites.  If is up to Ukraine to heed that pressure or not of course.
Ukraine's setting the bar for talks high may be seen as something of a gamble, or maybe not. It's based on very strong confidence in their ability to continue pushing back the Russians. That seems reasonable in the wake of Russian defeats that I long expected. Of course, if things reverse, then Ukraine might find itself with difficult options.

Everything I've seen, when put together, suggests that Ukraine's hard line here makes sense in context. At the same time, what you say is true - if you want this war to end sooner and that's literally the only thing that goes into the equation, it actually makes sense to put more pressure on Ukraine. Problem with that approach might be, to use a Chinese civil war analogy - is that it would be akin to the US cutting off support for the Nationalists to pressure them to get to the table in the 1940s (a decision that probably harmed US interests in the long run).
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #15726 on: October 05, 2022, 06:50:55 AM »

https://www.thelocal.de/20221005/german-minister-accuses-gas-supplying-countries-of-ripoff-prices/

"German minister accuses gas-supplying countries of ripoff prices"

Habeck now accuses the USA of price gouging.  Sounds like Biden complaining about gas prices back in the Summer.  No.  It is not price gouging.  It s a function of supply and demand.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15727 on: October 05, 2022, 07:01:04 AM »

Ukraine's setting the bar for talks high may be seen as something of a gamble, or maybe not. It's based on very strong confidence in their ability to continue pushing back the Russians. That seems reasonable in the wake of Russian defeats that I long expected. Of course, if things reverse, then Ukraine might find itself with difficult options.

Everything I've seen, when put together, suggests that Ukraine's hard line here makes sense in context. At the same time, what you say is true - if you want this war to end sooner and that's literally the only thing that goes into the equation, it actually makes sense to put more pressure on Ukraine. Problem with that approach might be, to use a Chinese civil war analogy - is that it would be akin to the US cutting off support for the Nationalists to pressure them to get to the table in the 1940s (a decision that probably harmed US interests in the long run).

I think it is mostly about signaling to his population and allies that he is all in and there is no retreat.  Putin did the same by annexing the 4 oblasts.  In a long-term attritional war making the case to your own side about the war existential is critical to ensure cohesion and sacrifice. 
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15728 on: October 05, 2022, 07:28:02 AM »

I think it is mostly about signaling to his population and allies that he is all in and there is no retreat.  Putin did the same by annexing the 4 oblasts.  In a long-term attritional war making the case to your own side about the war existential is critical to ensure cohesion and sacrifice. 
That kind of thinking does make sense for winning one's objectives. And that's especially true in a conflict with this kind of quality.

In the end, neither side is prioritizing bringing the war to an end as soon as humanly possible; they are prioritizing shaping whatever the world will look like when the war actually ends in their favor.

Particularly in Ukraine, it would be a big hazard for Zelensky if he just laid down his arms and acted weak, especially with the war has developed. His public image would never recover and he doubtless does not want to see his country lose land like this, on a personal level. He wants those eastern portions back in the fold. Additionally, Russia going forward with annexations only amplifies the number of things that have been said and would have to be taken back and that does represent a unique step in this conflict. (Yes, these lands were annexed by Russia in the 1700s, but that was an entity that had Ukrainians in its umbrella.)

An argument could be made that the wars of Justinian in taking Italy killed the spirit of Rome; and one could likewise say that the wars of Putin killed the spirit of the Soviet Union.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15729 on: October 05, 2022, 08:26:41 AM »

Omega21

« Reply #15730 on: October 05, 2022, 08:40:49 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2022, 08:55:22 AM by Omega21 »

An Ukrainian airborne unit alleges that their commander gave them gruesome orders to "clean up" villages, and that civilians too are valid targets and are not to be spared.

Being the based boys they are, they of course refused.

I know most people here will automatically assume RU psyop, but I find that unlikely, as the video will be geolocated soon, and all of them clearly show their faces.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15731 on: October 05, 2022, 08:57:10 AM »

An Ukrainian airborne unit alleges that their commander gave them gruesome orders to "clean up" villages, and that civilians too are valid and are not to be spared.

I know most people here will automatically assume RU psyop, but I find that unlikely, as the video will be geolocated soon, and all of them clearly show their faces.

Thanks for the both-sideism.

I guess it's the job of Ukrainian military justice to process this.

Generally speaking, I have bigger faith in Ukrainian military justice than I do in Russian military justice - given that the entire unit apparently felt safe enough to come forward about this on Twitter, I feel that this faith is justified. I don't believe that such public whistle-blowing is possible on the Russian side.

I wouldn't rule out that the entire video is Russian propaganda either, but I was willing to give it the benefit of a doubt.
Omega21

« Reply #15732 on: October 05, 2022, 09:11:54 AM »

An Ukrainian airborne unit alleges that their commander gave them gruesome orders to "clean up" villages, and that civilians too are valid and are not to be spared.

Thanks for the both-sideism.

I guess it's the job of Ukrainian military justice to process this.

Generally speaking, I have bigger faith in Ukrainian military justice than I do in Russian military justice - given that the entire unit apparently felt safe enough to come forward about this on Twitter, I feel that this faith is justified. I don't believe that such public whistle-blowing is possible on the Russian side.

I wouldn't rule out that the entire video is Russian propaganda either, but I was willing to give it the benefit of a doubt.

Yuri ist certainly welcome to complain about his commander.

He just needs to make sure his windows are not prone to spontaneously opening and throwing him out from a very unhealthy height.

Anyway, I don't doubt the commander will be prosecuted. Maybe it will take some time due to the active war, but I don't think he'll manage to avoid it long term.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15733 on: October 05, 2022, 09:22:06 AM »

That kind of thinking does make sense for winning one's objectives. And that's especially true in a conflict with this kind of quality.

In the end, neither side is prioritizing bringing the war to an end as soon as humanly possible; they are prioritizing shaping whatever the world will look like when the war actually ends in their favor.

Particularly in Ukraine, it would be a big hazard for Zelensky if he just laid down his arms and acted weak, especially with the war has developed. His public image would never recover and he doubtless does not want to see his country lose land like this, on a personal level. He wants those eastern portions back in the fold. Additionally, Russia going forward with annexations only amplifies the number of things that have been said and would have to be taken back and that does represent a unique step in this conflict. (Yes, these lands were annexed by Russia in the 1700s, but that was an entity that had Ukrainians in its umbrella.)

An argument could be made that the wars of Justinian in taking Italy killed the spirit of Rome; and one could likewise say that the wars of Putin killed the spirit of the Soviet Union.

One can only hope.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15734 on: October 05, 2022, 10:27:25 AM »

One can only hope.

He’s like Justinian and Belisaurius, but even less competent.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15735 on: October 05, 2022, 10:45:08 AM »

Perhaps just like in 1812 and 1941 General Winter comes to help Russia? Of course, this would be totally different way than in those two years.

General Winter doesn't look too kindly on armies that lack food, medicine, or even winter clothing. You'd expect the Russians (!!!) to know this better than anyone else, but much of the Russian military budget for winter clothing went into fur coats for someone's mistress, bought at Hermes in Paris.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/10/05/crowdfunding-spotlights-russian-militarys-supply-problems-in-ukraine-a78969
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15736 on: October 05, 2022, 11:38:24 AM »

Russia's 2022 Q2 GDP YoY came in at -4.1%.  For 2022 Q1 which was mostly before the war it came in at 3.5%.  Given that the recent PMI numbers are coming in higher than expected it seems 2022 total GDP will be much more likely to be -4%.  The current investment banking estimate is around -5.7% as opposed to -10% back in the Spring which I expect to converge to my estimate of around -4% over time.  If so due to base effects and impact of mobilization I do expect Russia's 2024 GDP to be worse than the current expected -2.5% (more like -3% or -3.5%)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #15737 on: October 05, 2022, 12:18:27 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2022, 12:31:38 PM by Storr »

Edit: added tweet of fairly large group of Russian/"separatist" POWs captured in Kherson Oblast:

google translation of the telegram post description: "12 servicemen of the 103rd regiment of the RF Armed Forces surrendered to the soldiers of the 59th brigade in the Kherson region"

Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #15738 on: October 05, 2022, 12:31:28 PM »

Interesting that this BMP-2 contained only the driver, the gunner, and the commander. There weren't any infantry in the back who were taken into custody along with them. Plus the fact that they had white fabric material on the main gun and the commander was holding a white sheet is rather interesting. What are the odds these RuZZians haven't properly eaten or slept in days, have sh#%tty commanders, or simply decided, "Enough is enough"?

Perun's analysis spoke heavily about how RuZZia has serious manpower problems with its mechanized infantry divisions, and more generally along its front. Is this further evidence of that phenomenon even after the mobilization order?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #15739 on: October 05, 2022, 12:38:16 PM »

Interesting that this BMP-2 contained only the driver, the gunner, and the commander. There weren't any infantry in the back who were taken into custody along with them. Plus the fact that they had white fabric material on the main gun and the commander was holding a white sheet is rather interesting. What are the odds these RuZZians haven't properly eaten or slept in days, have sh#%tty commanders, or simply decided, "Enough is enough"?

Perun's analysis spoke heavily about how RuZZia has serious manpower problems with its mechanized infantry divisions, and more generally along its front. Is this further evidence of that phenomenon even after the mobilization order?
This tweet mentions the surrender was prearranged:
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15740 on: October 05, 2022, 12:40:41 PM »

So these are guys that are deserting so that they can surrender?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #15741 on: October 05, 2022, 12:47:30 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2022, 02:07:42 PM by Storr »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15742 on: October 05, 2022, 02:05:46 PM »

This woman is a strong FF. She should be granted asylum in the West.

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #15743 on: October 05, 2022, 02:14:13 PM »

Russian WarGonzo video from Svatove, it claims most of the civilian population has left and the road to Kreminna (the P66) is not recommended for travel:

Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #15744 on: October 05, 2022, 02:54:33 PM »

Russia's 2022 Q2 GDP YoY came in at -4.1%.  For 2022 Q1 which was mostly before the war it came in at 3.5%.  Given that the recent PMI numbers are coming in higher than expected it seems 2022 total GDP will be much more likely to be -4%.  The current investment banking estimate is around -5.7% as opposed to -10% back in the Spring which I expect to converge to my estimate of around -4% over time.  If so due to base effects and impact of mobilization I do expect Russia's 2024 GDP to be worse than the current expected -2.5% (more like -3% or -3.5%)

Everybody: Sharing war news, talking about potential military actions

Jaichind: Complaining about how negative GDP rates impact his long term investments
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15745 on: October 05, 2022, 03:08:23 PM »

"never again" they said in 1945.

Thankfully, this was just a slightly icky act of theft:

Not that hard to believe, in hindsight - somebody once nicked my mouthguard from a school locker, and I was more disgusted than upset.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #15746 on: October 05, 2022, 03:34:10 PM »

"No one left behind" is western chauvinism and decadence, I guess:

google translation: "The bodies of Russians are still lying in Liman. They are being taken little by little, but not so quickly. Locals say that these dead (13 people) were unloaded right on the street near the house, the wounded were taken away and left when they fled. The picture is terrible: stray dogs and cats start eating them"

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #15747 on: October 05, 2022, 03:53:38 PM »

Omega21

« Reply #15748 on: October 05, 2022, 03:54:50 PM »

U.S. Believes Ukrainians Were Behind an Assassination in Russia

American officials said they were not aware of the plan ahead of time for the attack that killed Daria Dugina and that they had admonished Ukraine over it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/05/us/politics/ukraine-russia-dugina-assassination.html
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #15749 on: October 05, 2022, 04:05:50 PM »

I see the mobilization is going well:

Different video from the same group of grumpy vatniks:

Pages: 1 ... 625 626 627 628 629 [630] 631 632 633 634 635 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies