DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:49:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 [178] 179 180 181 182 183 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 274686 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4425 on: January 16, 2021, 12:12:45 PM »

Off-duty police were part of the Capitol mob. Now police are turning in their own.

During the chaos at the Capitol, overwhelmed police officers confronted and combated a frenzied sea of rioters who transformed the seat of democracy into a battlefield. Now police chiefs across the country are confronting the uncomfortable reality that members in their own ranks were among the mob that faced off against other law enforcement officers.

At least 13 off-duty law enforcement officials are suspected of taking part in the riot, a tally that could grow as investigators continue to pore over footage and records to identify participants. Police leaders are turning in their own to the FBI and taking the striking step of reminding officers in their departments that criminal misconduct could push them off the force and behind bars.

The reckoning within police departments comes as plans for new demonstrations this weekend and on Inauguration Day are solidifying, with authorities warning of the potential for violence in state capitals. Participants are expected to protest election results that made Joe Biden president-elect.

“We are making clear that they have First Amendment rights like all Americans,” said Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo, who on Thursday accepted the resignation of an 18-year veteran in his department due to his involvement in the riot, which followed a rally at which President Trump urged his supporters to not accept his defeat. “However, engaging in activity that crosses the line into criminal conduct will not be tolerated.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/police-trump-capitol-mob/2021/01/16/160ace1e-567d-11eb-a08b-f1381ef3d207_story.html

Great. Hope they start doing this for shooting unarmed black men too.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #4426 on: January 16, 2021, 12:38:39 PM »

Any word from the state capitols/DC today? I was hearing rumblings that protests were going to kick off on the 16th up through the 20th, though I'd assume that the crackdown on social media has greatly diminished these efforts. 
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #4427 on: January 16, 2021, 12:41:36 PM »

Have many Trump supporters been around since Trump attempted a coup?

I’ve only seen Del Tachi post a few times, and have yet to hear from Fuzzy Bear or SirWoodbury.

I hopeful that they now see they were wrong to support him but I also kinda doubt it.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4428 on: January 16, 2021, 12:42:19 PM »

I’ve only seen Del Tachi post a few times, and have yet to hear from Fuzzy Bear or SirWoodbury.

I hopeful that they now see they were wrong to support him but I also kinda doubt it.

Fuzzy made a post suggesting Trump should resign. He's been very quiet though.

Woodbury is probably in federal custody.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4429 on: January 16, 2021, 12:44:44 PM »

SN posts occasionally and seems to be in complete denial.

Pretty sure Buzz completely disavowed Trump as well.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4430 on: January 16, 2021, 12:47:23 PM »

Any word from the state capitols/DC today? I was hearing rumblings that protests were going to kick off on the 16th up through the 20th, though I'd assume that the crackdown on social media has greatly diminished these efforts. 

I haven't seen reports of any problems in Atlanta.  They've been beefing up security in the Capitol area the past few days.
Dr. Frankenstein
DoctorFrankenstein
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #4431 on: January 16, 2021, 12:47:51 PM »

Didn’t Woodbury say that he’s gonna leave the forum for 1 year if one of the Ds wins the runoff in GA?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4432 on: January 16, 2021, 12:48:34 PM »

Didn’t Woodbury say that he’s gonna leave the forum for 1 year if one of the Ds wins the runoff in GA?

I thought that was MM but there were several wagers around the runoffs.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4433 on: January 16, 2021, 12:51:03 PM »

At 4.55pm yesterday, we (Nevada Capitol) were informed that the building will remain closed through Wednesday.  We were already off on Monday due to the holiday, but we now have a five-day weekend.  Thanks, traitors! Cheesy
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4434 on: January 16, 2021, 12:55:47 PM »

Del Tachi called for Trump to resign, but he's made posts that seem to be supportive of what House Republicans have been engaging in over the past week-that is, in defying security procedures and carrying their firearms onto the floor. He's justified this as an exercise of legislative privilege.
Dr. Frankenstein
DoctorFrankenstein
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #4435 on: January 16, 2021, 12:57:47 PM »

Everyone at the Capitol that day was a deplorable, but I will say that there's a difference between the jackbooted wannabe stormtroopers at the front of the crowd who brutalized police officers and the obese morons at the rear who simply wandered in once the doors had been forced open. They should all go to prison; the difference is simply in the number of years they'll serve.

I agree, that is an important distinction to be made. However, as I was reading your comment, a gruesome thought came to mind: what if those harmless “obese morons” had been infiltrated by a bunch of opportunistic radicals with bombs in their backpacks? Given the level of the security breach, the whole thing could’ve ended far, far worse than it did.
Splash
United States

« Reply #4436 on: January 16, 2021, 02:05:21 PM »

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4437 on: January 16, 2021, 02:20:06 PM »

Why isn't this reported as police stop domestic terrorist plot?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4438 on: January 16, 2021, 02:28:00 PM »

I thought that was MM but there were several wagers around the runoffs.

I think MM was making financial wagers, I don't recall him agreeing to leave, though he's probably one of several to take a break from the forum after the election.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4439 on: January 16, 2021, 02:54:35 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4440 on: January 16, 2021, 03:42:12 PM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4441 on: January 16, 2021, 03:46:40 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2021, 03:52:27 PM by Calthrina950 »

I actually didn't know that Cawthorn spoke at the January 6 rally prior to the attack on the White House. But I'm not surprised. He was also a speaker at the RNC last summer. As I've noted before, he's in a tie with Boebert and Taylor-Greene, and numerous others, for being the worst freshman in the new Congress. Though I do note that the protesters belong to the Sunrise Movement, which is described as an "environmental" organization, and is clearly a left-wing advocacy group. Anyone would be delusional to think that he will even bat an eye at their criticisms.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4442 on: January 16, 2021, 03:47:35 PM »

Why was my "Woodbury?" post deleted?
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4443 on: January 16, 2021, 04:14:26 PM »

You’re being censored. Welcome to 2021, martyr.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4444 on: January 16, 2021, 04:15:04 PM »

Who would've thought she would be so unpleasant to work for?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4445 on: January 16, 2021, 04:22:13 PM »

Who would've thought she would be so unpleasant to work for?

Everybody?
Splash
United States

« Reply #4446 on: January 16, 2021, 04:49:35 PM »

Pardon me?

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4447 on: January 16, 2021, 05:31:11 PM »

A Virginia man was arrested at a Washington checkpoint near the Capitol with an "unauthorized" inauguration pass, a gun and more than 500 rounds of ammunition, according to Capitol Police.

The suspect, identified as Wesley Allen Beeler, 31, was stopped at the checkpoint near Lower Senate Park about 6:30 p.m. Friday, an arrest report said. An unregistered gun and hundreds of rounds of ammunition were found inside the truck that was adorned with gun decals days ahead of President-elect Joe Biden's inauguration, according to Capitol Police.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/armed-man-arrested-near-capitol-unauthorized-inauguration-pass-500-rounds-n1254521
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4448 on: January 16, 2021, 05:33:29 PM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4449 on: January 16, 2021, 05:44:11 PM »

But why was he there with 500 rounds of ammo? There is nothing normal about having this amount of ammunition. Something is rotten in Denmark.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 [178] 179 180 181 182 183 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies