DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:17:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 178 179 180 [181] 182 183 184 185 186 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 269077 times)
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4500 on: January 18, 2021, 03:44:59 PM »

Does anyone know if she ends up being expelled from congress would that mean she'd be barred running again?
They could just refuse to seat her I think.  If I am remembering correctly that's what they said about Jim Traficant in 2010.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4501 on: January 18, 2021, 03:46:27 PM »

Does anyone know if she ends up being expelled from congress would that mean she'd be barred running again?
They could just refuse to seat her I think.  If I am remembering correctly that's what they said about Jim Traficant in 2010.

I think Powell v. McCormack would preclude that.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4502 on: January 18, 2021, 03:49:18 PM »

It would not.  Expulsion from Congress is specifically distinct from impeachment, and there is no constitutional provision for disqualification of an expelled member.

Unless they try to invoke Section 3 of the 14th Amendment as part of her hypothetical expulsion, of course, which would undoubtedly make for an interesting test case.
LtNOWIS

« Reply #4503 on: January 18, 2021, 04:04:04 PM »

This is what white privilege looks like. I'm surprised they weren't offered tea and sandwiches.
What do you want the cop to do here? Start a physical fight that he'd lose? Start shooting people?
If they were left-wing protesters, they would be shot dead.

If they were black or Muslim, they wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the Senate chamber to begin with.
Right... you might have had the optimal response to this overall scenario, which would be a prepared security force with ample amounts of manpower, barriers, and less-lethal munitions to hold the perimeter.

But in the imaginary scenario where there are several left wing guys and 1 police officer there in the Senate chamber, with serious violence and going on elsewhere,  there is no good solution. He can shoot them in cold blood, try to hold 5 guys at gunpoint and risk getting flanked, start arresting 1 guy, while the other dudes get riled up and attack him, etc. Or he can just hand out there and make sure they don't cause further trouble until they leave and are arrested later, which is what I think he did (without looking up the full video).
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4504 on: January 18, 2021, 04:17:33 PM »

Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #4505 on: January 18, 2021, 04:29:10 PM »

I will never not read Lauren Boebert as Lorena Bobbitt.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4506 on: January 18, 2021, 04:31:22 PM »

(Loeffler donating money to police)

Credit where credit is due.  She certainly doesn't need the money, but this was a good thing to do.

No, she doesn't deserve any credit. This is literally the least thing she can do to make amends.

She was a terrible person in her campaign and she did go along with the electoral college challenge, but it was clearly because Trump blackmailed her and she was in a very weak position with the election happening. I can’t feel as bad about her as about the elected senators who went along with this and this was something not everyone would have thought to do, even if it’s just a gesture.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #4507 on: January 18, 2021, 06:38:12 PM »

A rioter from Texas threatened to shoot his children if they told the FBI that he participated in the riots at the Capitol.

A Texas man with ties to a right-wing extremist group threatened to shoot his children if they told the FBI he traveled to Washington to storm the Capitol with other President Trump supporters, according to court documents.

Guy Reffitt threatened his daughter and son while arguing with them about his role in the Capitol siege, his wife told an FBI agent, according to the court papers filed in Washington, DC.

“If you turn me in, you’re a traitor and you know what happens to traitors … traitors get shot,” Reffitt allegedly said to his kids.

I give you the pro-life, pro-family party, ladies and gents.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4508 on: January 18, 2021, 06:59:07 PM »

IIRC, Adam Clayton Powell successfully ran again while his expulsion was on appeal to the SCOTUS.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4509 on: January 18, 2021, 08:00:54 PM »

A rioter from Texas threatened to shoot his children if they told the FBI that he participated in the riots at the Capitol.

A Texas man with ties to a right-wing extremist group threatened to shoot his children if they told the FBI he traveled to Washington to storm the Capitol with other President Trump supporters, according to court documents.

Guy Reffitt threatened his daughter and son while arguing with them about his role in the Capitol siege, his wife told an FBI agent, according to the court papers filed in Washington, DC.

“If you turn me in, you’re a traitor and you know what happens to traitors … traitors get shot,” Reffitt allegedly said to his kids.

"Killing my kids to own the libs! Who needs kids when I can have four more years of President Trump!?"

Nothing unhinged or irrational about that.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4510 on: January 18, 2021, 11:13:20 PM »

"Killing my kids to own the libs! Who needs kids when I can have four more years of President Trump!?"

The motivation there has nothing to do with Trump or "owning the libs."   It's unbridled rage at the prospect of betrayal from a family member.  It is sadly entirely predictable that some people would react in such a way.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4511 on: January 19, 2021, 12:15:00 AM »

The motivation there has nothing to do with Trump or "owning the libs."   It's unbridled rage at the prospect of betrayal from a family member.  It is sadly entirely predictable that some people would react in such a way.

Jesus, you will defend Trump and these terrorists at every turn
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4512 on: January 19, 2021, 01:00:59 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4513 on: January 19, 2021, 03:09:48 AM »

A pardon does Trump no good, he only can be protected from a Fed Prosecution not state Prosecution and he has tax evasion, a state crime. The pardon would only protect him from Incitement and Election fraud
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4514 on: January 19, 2021, 10:16:10 AM »

Was driving in the suburbs yesterday and passed an electronic billboard with an fbi ad asking for people to provide any info on the Capitol riot.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4515 on: January 19, 2021, 10:24:52 AM »

That would also be obstruction of justice.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4516 on: January 19, 2021, 10:56:03 AM »

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #4517 on: January 19, 2021, 01:37:29 PM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4518 on: January 19, 2021, 02:24:51 PM »

I think it's actually worth understanding social dynamics beyond merely whether something is good or bad.  That really annoys people for some reason but it's important if you ever want to solve things or even just keep things from getting worse.

People right now are being encouraged to turn in their family members.  If you support that, you need to at least recognize that some people won't have the character to respond in a healthy way when it happens to them.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4519 on: January 19, 2021, 02:37:56 PM »

I think it's actually worth understanding social dynamics beyond merely whether something is good or bad.  That really annoys people for some reason but it's important if you ever want to solve things or even just keep things from getting worse.

People right now are being encouraged to turn in their family members.  If you support that, you need to at least recognize that some people won't have the character to respond in a healthy way when it happens to them.

Okay then they can go to jail for murdering their cousin.

What is your endgame here?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4520 on: January 19, 2021, 02:38:46 PM »

The motivation there has nothing to do with Trump or "owning the libs."   It's unbridled rage at the prospect of betrayal from a family member.  It is sadly entirely predictable that some people would react in such a way.

I think it's actually worth understanding social dynamics beyond merely whether something is good or bad.  That really annoys people for some reason but it's important if you ever want to solve things or even just keep things from getting worse.

People right now are being encouraged to turn in their family members.  If you support that, you need to at least recognize that some people won't have the character to respond in a healthy way when it happens to them.

Whatever it takes to protect people but under no circumstances will it be an entire excuse from engaging in misprisonment.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4521 on: January 19, 2021, 02:40:24 PM »

"Won't have the character to respond in a healthy way" ?
We are talking about someone who directly told their own children that he will KILL them.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4522 on: January 19, 2021, 02:47:00 PM »

My "endgame" is people not murdering or threatening their family members for one thing.  I don't understand the thought process where it is an "okay" thing to happen as long as someone ends up in prison over it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4523 on: January 19, 2021, 02:57:52 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2021, 03:52:36 PM by Congrats, Griffin! »

The motivation there has nothing to do with Trump or "owning the libs."   It's unbridled rage at the prospect of betrayal from a family member.  It is sadly entirely predictable that some people would react in such a way.

I think it's actually worth understanding social dynamics beyond merely whether something is good or bad.  That really annoys people for some reason but it's important if you ever want to solve things or even just keep things from getting worse.

People right now are being encouraged to turn in their family members.  If you support that, you need to at least recognize that some people won't have the character to respond in a healthy way when it happens to them.

There's a difference between not having any penalties & valorizing and deepening dysfunctional family relations in order to make it happen.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4524 on: January 19, 2021, 03:31:00 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2021, 03:52:06 PM by Congrats, Griffin! »

There's a difference between not having any penalties & valorizing and deepening dysfunctional family relations in order to make it happen.

This isn’t a negotiation.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 178 179 180 [181] 182 183 184 185 186 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies