DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 03:51:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 174 175 176 [177] 178 179 180 181 182 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 274409 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4400 on: January 15, 2021, 05:42:52 PM »

What would happen if “several” lawmakers were indicted or convicted? They stay congresspeople, sure... I guess they vote by proxy if need be? They wouldn’t be able to campaign.

It's very likely that the House would vote to expel any members that were convicted of crimes related to the attack.  It requires a 2/3 vote of the members.

I doubt it, you'd see all but like 15 Republicans call it a witchunt.

Unless something else happens, you might be right. It would otherwise need to be part of a campaign to pain the Republican Party as Post-American.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4401 on: January 15, 2021, 05:48:13 PM »

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4402 on: January 15, 2021, 05:52:34 PM »

This reminds me how police identified yet NEVER arrested Umbrella Man from Minneapolis.  Do they think Americans are too stupid to recognize the clear double standard in how they treat left wing protestors versus right wing protestors?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4403 on: January 15, 2021, 06:37:23 PM »

US takes back its assertion that Capitol rioters wanted to 'capture and assassinate' officials

Justice Department prosecutors have formally walked back their assertion in a court filing that said Capitol rioters sought to "capture and assassinate elected officials."

A federal prosecutor in Arizona asked a magistrate judge in a hearing on Friday to strike the line in a recent court filing about defendant Jacob Anthony Chansley, a man who is alleged to have led some in the crowd in the first wave into the Capitol with a bullhorn while carrying a spear and wearing a fur headdress.

The entire line the prosecutors want to omit from their court filing is: "Strong evidence, including Chansley's own words and actions at the Capitol, supports that the intent of the Capitol rioters was to capture and assassinate elected officials in the United States Government."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/15/politics/capitol-capture-assassinate-elected-officials/index.html
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4404 on: January 15, 2021, 06:50:29 PM »

US takes back its assertion that Capitol rioters wanted to 'capture and assassinate' officials

Justice Department prosecutors have formally walked back their assertion in a court filing that said Capitol rioters sought to "capture and assassinate elected officials."

A federal prosecutor in Arizona asked a magistrate judge in a hearing on Friday to strike the line in a recent court filing about defendant Jacob Anthony Chansley, a man who is alleged to have led some in the crowd in the first wave into the Capitol with a bullhorn while carrying a spear and wearing a fur headdress.

The entire line the prosecutors want to omit from their court filing is: "Strong evidence, including Chansley's own words and actions at the Capitol, supports that the intent of the Capitol rioters was to capture and assassinate elected officials in the United States Government."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/15/politics/capitol-capture-assassinate-elected-officials/index.html

What?? Rioters storming the capitol floor arm with zip ties and chanting hang Mike Pence isn't enough of a clue?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4405 on: January 15, 2021, 07:00:56 PM »

What?? Rioters storming the capitol floor arm with zip ties and chanting hang Mike Pence isn't enough of a clue?

My understanding is that the feds are extremely methodical and cautious on these matters? The sentence retracted is rather specific.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4406 on: January 15, 2021, 07:02:14 PM »

My understanding is that the feds are extremely methodical and cautious on these matters? The sentence retracted is rather specific.

True. You are absolutely correct on that point.

But still, even by that standard that's a rather spit-take inducing announcement.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4407 on: January 15, 2021, 07:11:32 PM »

It is clear that some of the rioters at least had the intent to capture/assassinate. But maybe there’s no evidence stupid horns man was one of those, so they don’t want to give his legal team something to seize on to deflect from his very clear crimes?

I don’t know, just spitballing here but it would make sense.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #4408 on: January 15, 2021, 07:19:31 PM »

What would happen if “several” lawmakers were indicted or convicted? They stay congresspeople, sure... I guess they vote by proxy if need be? They wouldn’t be able to campaign.

It's very likely that the House would vote to expel any members that were convicted of crimes related to the attack.  It requires a 2/3 vote of the members.

The fact I’m not sure that there would be the votes to expel is terrible
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #4409 on: January 15, 2021, 07:22:22 PM »

Everyone at the Capitol that day was a deplorable, but I will say that there's a difference between the jackbooted wannabe stormtroopers at the front of the crowd who brutalized police officers and the obese morons at the rear who simply wandered in once the doors had been forced open. They should all go to prison; the difference is simply in the number of years they'll serve.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4410 on: January 15, 2021, 07:23:46 PM »

According to court filings, prosecutors allege that Brock posted on Facebook about buying body armor and a helmet for a "civil war" and believed the US election was being certified by a "hostile governing force."
In an interview with the New Yorker, Brock denied that he holds racist views. He repeated President Donald Trump's baseless assertions of election fraud.
Brock told the magazine that vandalism to the Capitol building "was not my intent." He said he had picked the restraints off the ground and intended to give them back to a police officer.

I love how he illegally storms the Capitol literally dressed for combat and then claims he just found the zip ties on the ground and was trying to return them to a cop. With lame excuses like that, no wonder his ex-wife reported him to the FBI.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4411 on: January 15, 2021, 07:59:45 PM »

It is clear that some of the rioters at least had the intent to capture/assassinate. But maybe there’s no evidence stupid horns man was one of those, so they don’t want to give his legal team something to seize on to deflect from his very clear crimes?

I think that is the actual story here.
The dropping of "the assertion to capture and assassinate" only pertains to the case/charges regarding this QAnon-wearing-horns moron, and not necessarily for all cases.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4412 on: January 15, 2021, 08:02:17 PM »

Could some of these Congress-people (and/or their assistants) be that stupid as to give tours to these terrorists, knowing that every corner in The Capitol has cameras-upon-cameras (taped footage)?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4413 on: January 15, 2021, 08:04:08 PM »

The dropping of "the assertion to capture and assassinate" only pertains to the case/charges regarding this QAnon-wearing-horns moron, and not necessarily for all cases.

But if that were the case, wouldn't they seek to strike only the words " including Chansley's own words and actions at the Capitol"? Striking the entire sentence seems to State the entire mob's violent intent can't be established at this point, which I find difficult to swallow.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4414 on: January 15, 2021, 08:09:45 PM »

Could some of these Congress-people (and/or their assistants) be that stupid as to give tours to these terrorists, knowing that every corner in The Capitol has cameras-upon-cameras (taped footage)?

Well, they might just be stupid enough to have thought the attack would be successful, in which case it wouldn't have mattered.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4415 on: January 15, 2021, 08:09:49 PM »

But if that were the case, wouldn't they seek to strike only the words " including Chansley's own words and actions at the Capitol"? Striking the entire sentence seems to State the entire mob's violent intent can't be established at this point, which I find difficult to swallow.

OK. I see what you are saying now.
But I agree that it shouldn't be that difficult to prove for some of these scumbags. I mean, we/they literally have taped recordings of them making threats to murder and kill.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4416 on: January 15, 2021, 08:10:03 PM »

This reminds me how police identified yet NEVER arrested Umbrella Man from Minneapolis.  Do they think Americans are too stupid to recognize the clear double standard in how they treat left wing protestors versus right wing protestors?

Yes they are. That's evident by how right wing domestic terrorism is never taken as being as much of a threat as Islamic terrorism. The fact that a hoard of white men (mostly) were able to overtake the Capitol and law enforcement's failure to prepare for them potentially escalating things is disturbing evidence of that. We should be more afraid of right wing terrorism, in fact, because they could literally be anybody anywhere. These people aren't entirely your stereotypical bearded white militiaman living off the grid. They could be your community's police officer, firefighter, schoolteacher, doctor, civil engineer, etc. We've already seen how that's been the case within this mob too.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4417 on: January 15, 2021, 08:14:10 PM »

The My Pillow Guy wants another coup:

Wasn't this guy a serious drug user in his past?
Maybe the drugs fried his brain.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4418 on: January 15, 2021, 08:55:23 PM »

No, they think (and know) Dems are too stupid to grab control of the narrative from Republicans.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #4419 on: January 15, 2021, 09:33:16 PM »

Lawmaker is an occupation, however long it is held, the same way dishwasher is an occupation. I don't care if that occupation is classified as employee, independent contractor, or whatever. It comes with an array of special privileges and perks, to be sure, but none of these include lawmakers existing in some legal gray area where they are exempt from security rules that every other member of society must follow.

lolwut?

The bolded is just patently untrue.  Members of Congress enjoy multiple, Constitutional privileges related to their free movement and immunity from civil/criminal action resulting from their role as legislators. 

Maybe you should try, I dunno, reading something sometime?  or taking a high school government class?

I can't believe I was just told to read something, or take a high school government class by a  trump supporter. For the record, AP Government here, and I got a 4 on the test and college credit, sweetheart. Just like I did for AP Psychology and AP Euro History.

May I suggest you take a reading comprehension class? You either completely missed the argument I was making, or you chose to ignore it to attack a straw man.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4420 on: January 15, 2021, 10:40:21 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4421 on: January 16, 2021, 12:09:04 AM »

No more security breach, DC is not within arm's length of insurrectionists.

Biden will have no more interruptions and we are now in the Biden era now, Trump is finally over.

Whom Trump has said nothing about Covid
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #4422 on: January 16, 2021, 06:31:44 AM »

What's with the ring? looks like a catholic fraternal brotherhood
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #4423 on: January 16, 2021, 06:58:19 AM »

Ladies and gentlemen, the 2022 MN GOP gubernatorial nominee!
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4424 on: January 16, 2021, 10:58:04 AM »

Off-duty police were part of the Capitol mob. Now police are turning in their own.

During the chaos at the Capitol, overwhelmed police officers confronted and combated a frenzied sea of rioters who transformed the seat of democracy into a battlefield. Now police chiefs across the country are confronting the uncomfortable reality that members in their own ranks were among the mob that faced off against other law enforcement officers.

At least 13 off-duty law enforcement officials are suspected of taking part in the riot, a tally that could grow as investigators continue to pore over footage and records to identify participants. Police leaders are turning in their own to the FBI and taking the striking step of reminding officers in their departments that criminal misconduct could push them off the force and behind bars.

The reckoning within police departments comes as plans for new demonstrations this weekend and on Inauguration Day are solidifying, with authorities warning of the potential for violence in state capitals. Participants are expected to protest election results that made Joe Biden president-elect.

“We are making clear that they have First Amendment rights like all Americans,” said Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo, who on Thursday accepted the resignation of an 18-year veteran in his department due to his involvement in the riot, which followed a rally at which President Trump urged his supporters to not accept his defeat. “However, engaging in activity that crosses the line into criminal conduct will not be tolerated.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/police-trump-capitol-mob/2021/01/16/160ace1e-567d-11eb-a08b-f1381ef3d207_story.html
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 174 175 176 [177] 178 179 180 181 182 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies