PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:05:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 ... 244
Author Topic: PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz  (Read 287297 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2775 on: June 22, 2022, 09:03:53 AM »

Is Dr. Oz changing his campaign attitude?

SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2776 on: June 22, 2022, 09:14:51 AM »

No surprise there. Oz is using the Youngkin playbook. He'll win.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #2777 on: June 22, 2022, 09:16:58 AM »

Is Dr. Oz changing his campaign attitude?

Pivoting to the center (however unconvincingly) is a pretty common tactic, to be fair.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2778 on: June 22, 2022, 09:36:26 AM »

LMAO at Oz even changing the background from red to blue.

He's trying to pivot, but I wouldn't necessarily say he's pivoting to the "center" right now since the only thing that has changed is Trump, not his platform or his views that he espoused during the primary (yet)
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2779 on: June 22, 2022, 09:45:38 AM »

Wonder what Kathy Barnette thinks about this, considering she was smeared for not being Trumpy enough.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2780 on: June 22, 2022, 10:50:30 AM »

I think Oz wins by 4-5 points based on the national environment based on Republican voters holding their noses for him. No poll can convince me otherwise; I'll believe Fetterman winning when I see it. Oz's issues won't matter; all swing voters care about is MUH GAS PRICES!

Oz comes across to me as an inoffensive  well meaning nice guy, even if somewhat naive. I suspect he will perform at about the partisan baseline.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2781 on: June 22, 2022, 01:01:40 PM »

This may become a case where Fetterman's odds go up as the environment worsens for Democrats, since the possibility of this seat deciding control of the Senate is really the main thing buoying Oz. I don't see Pennsylvania voters preferring him over Fetterman on a personal level.

You really think voters read the Cook Report to see what the latest handicapping is right before they vote, and a significant number would vote for Fetterman if he is the 49th Dem elected, but not the 50th?
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #2782 on: June 22, 2022, 03:02:02 PM »

This may become a case where Fetterman's odds go up as the environment worsens for Democrats, since the possibility of this seat deciding control of the Senate is really the main thing buoying Oz. I don't see Pennsylvania voters preferring him over Fetterman on a personal level.

You really think voters read the Cook Report to see what the latest handicapping is right before they vote, and a significant number would vote for Fetterman if he is the 49th Dem elected, but not the 50th?

No, but people generally have an idea of the election's vibes, in my experience. I personally know a lot of moderates who voted R downballot in 2016 because they thought Hillary was a lock but D in 2020 because they thought Trump was the favorite (despite polling to the contrary). Of course, this is Atlanta, so they probably moved left significantly in the interim, but nevertheless.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2783 on: June 22, 2022, 03:04:58 PM »

No, but people generally have an idea of the election's vibes, in my experience. I personally know a lot of moderates who voted R downballot in 2016 because they thought Hillary was a lock but D in 2020 because they thought Trump was the favorite (despite polling to the contrary). Of course, this is Atlanta, so they probably moved left significantly in the interim, but nevertheless.

You run with a really, really strange group of people then.  Glasses
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2784 on: June 22, 2022, 03:30:18 PM »

Owned!

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2785 on: June 22, 2022, 03:32:05 PM »

Lmao, Fetterman's campaign is really good in trolling Oz. We'll see whether it works in the fall.

These twitter roasts are more about getting media and possibly trying to engage younger folks than any real effort to convince folks of who they should vote for or even dissing Oz.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2786 on: June 22, 2022, 04:01:32 PM »

lmao Oz just gets destroyed daily

I can't wait for the debates
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #2787 on: June 22, 2022, 07:27:31 PM »

At this point, Oz is probably the worst candidate for either party in any competitive race. Probably ahead of Perkins if we include the marginal races.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #2788 on: June 22, 2022, 08:10:16 PM »

It's closer to Manhattan than PA.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2789 on: June 23, 2022, 07:50:20 AM »

Wonder what Kathy Barnette thinks about this, considering she was smeared for not being Trumpy enough.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2790 on: June 23, 2022, 07:55:06 AM »

Well and even Oz's explanation for his PA residence is dubious at best. He registered in PA in 2020 as he said him and his wife were "living with his in-laws"? So Dr. Oz has a mansion in NJ and literal millions, but where he's registered to vote/live "now", he's living in the same house with his in-laws? Huh?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2791 on: June 23, 2022, 02:09:22 PM »

Lmao

GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #2792 on: June 24, 2022, 02:32:16 PM »

I have noticed a real refusal to engage with reality on the part of conservatives regarding this race. So much mockery of optimistic liberals who think CCM still has a chance despite middling poll numbers, but when it comes to PA, "oh this poll's sample is too D," "oh Oz just hasn't consolidated," "oh indys are good in this poll," etc. etc. There have been several polls now and the picture is clear as day: Oz is seriously unpopular with both indys and Republicans, if the election were held today he's probably be an underdog, and if the election were under a neutral environment he'd lose. He might be saved by the environment, and his poll numbers could improve, but these are just the facts.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2793 on: June 25, 2022, 10:50:29 AM »

I have noticed a real refusal to engage with reality on the part of conservatives regarding this race. So much mockery of optimistic liberals who think CCM still has a chance despite middling poll numbers, but when it comes to PA, "oh this poll's sample is too D," "oh Oz just hasn't consolidated," "oh indys are good in this poll," etc. etc. There have been several polls now and the picture is clear as day: Oz is seriously unpopular with both indys and Republicans, if the election were held today he's probably be an underdog, and if the election were under a neutral environment he'd lose. He might be saved by the environment, and his poll numbers could improve, but these are just the facts.

1) I haven’t seen any Republican here mocking optimistic liberals for saying that CCM "has a chance." What some of us disagree with is the arbitrary reasoning used to justify why NV will suddenly vote well to the left of the HPV when it’s been the state closest to the national popular vote for three consecutive cycles or why it is guaranteed to be close even in a Republican wave year.

2) I think by now most Republicans on this board have acknowledged that Oz is a very poor candidate (and I’ve been on record claiming that he would be since months before the primary). In my view, the only reason why Fetterman has a real chance in this race is because the PA GOP (clearly) did a miserable job in terms of recruiting and nominating candidates, both here and in the gubernatorial race. It’s true that there were posters who overestimated Oz's appeal as a candidate (in part because of rather lazy comparisons to the 2016 presidential race) and the extent to which he would run ahead of Mastriano (worth noting that this forum is notoriously unfriendly to candidates it perceives as 'extreme' in part because even most blue avatars on here are well to the left of the average GOP primary voter), but I think there’s a case to be made that it’s all downhill for Fetterman from here and that the past few weeks will turn out to have been Oz's weakest position in the race, with his prospects improving as the race becomes more nationalized/a referendum on Fetterman and Biden and voters forget about the GOP primary. I don’t think Oz will win this race on his own merits as a candidate, but Fetterman has a lot of positions that are completely out of step with the state while having no moderate image/established brand or experience navigating competitive races to fend off anything the GOP will use against him to put him through a meat grinder (case in point: the "Fetterman put murderers back on streets" line of attack) or to defy the environment. Unlike in Mastriano's case, national Republicans will also go to bat for Oz to win this race, so I’m not sold on Fetterman outperforming Shapiro like many now seem to think.

This will basically come down to whether Republicans can morph Oz into a generic Republican or at least a blank but safe option against the far left. This will take time because Oz's favorabilities are truly abysmal (and he’d lose if the election were held today), but I think it can be done (although it will still be closer than it should be) and it’s still a fairly volatile race.

To the broader point about Republican recruitment/candidate failures in the Senate and a potentially large Republican underperformance of the HPV in the individual Senate contests (people forget that this also happened in 2014), I absolutely acknowledge those. If Masters wins the nomination in AZ, I think there’s a real path for Democrats to hold the Senate even in this environment (-NV, +PA), in which case PA would become a must-win race for the GOP and in which case you’ll see the GOP throw even the kitchen sink at Fetterman.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2794 on: June 25, 2022, 10:58:54 AM »

Dobbs has changed everything. There's no conventional wisdom anymore.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #2795 on: June 25, 2022, 02:41:17 PM »

Going to be fun looking back at this thread after Oz wins and all the Democrats mocking him in this thread have to eat their words.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2796 on: June 25, 2022, 03:20:27 PM »

Going to be fun looking back at this thread after Oz wins and all the Democrats mocking him in this thread have to eat their words.

He very well may win, infact I think he’s favoured; but I guarantee him and Mastriano will have relatively embarrassing performances given what’s happening nationally. On the House level, most Biden + 0-3 seat seems like a sure fire GOP flip/hold
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #2797 on: June 25, 2022, 03:42:54 PM »

He very well may win, infact I think he’s favoured; but I guarantee him and Mastriano will have relatively embarrassing performances given what’s happening nationally. On the House level, most Biden + 0-3 seat seems like a sure fire GOP flip/hold
Oh I agree he's not a good candidate, but this thread has devolved into flat-out one-sided partisan mockery that's just incredibly stupid.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2798 on: June 25, 2022, 06:58:42 PM »

You're really bad at nuance. No one is saying any of that. Pretty sure everyone in this thread is in agreement - Oz certainly CAN win. No one is saying he can't. But the odds are clearly stacked against him in a reversal of fortune here, because given the environment, Oz is a terrible candidate with terrible favorables against a well-liked challenger. All of that could be taken under by the red environment, sure, but now with Roe, Oz has a LOT going against him in this race.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #2799 on: June 26, 2022, 08:09:26 AM »

Has Dr. Oz made a statement celebrating the victory of life in the Dobbs decision? I am sure he will rise to the challenge and release a compelling statement that unites his base and swing voters behind his principled leadership.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 ... 244  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies