Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:13:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 264 265 266 [267] 268 269 270 271 272 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 352759 times)
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6650 on: September 29, 2023, 03:01:25 PM »

I think shutdown news is pertinent here:

The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #6651 on: September 29, 2023, 04:00:15 PM »

Both chambers are Safe D with a shutdown. Russet Perry in particular is probably cheering for the shutdown.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6652 on: September 29, 2023, 04:10:13 PM »

Both chambers are Safe D with a shutdown. Russet Perry in particular is probably cheering for the shutdown.

I don't think it makes the HoD Safe D, but it takes the Senate completely off the table between the outer western D.C. suburbs swing seat and the outer southern D.C. suburbs swing seat.  HoD will be decided in downstate college towns and majority-minoriy seats that probably aren't that excited about a shutdown either way.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #6653 on: September 29, 2023, 04:34:17 PM »

I don't think it makes the HoD Safe D, but it takes the Senate completely off the table between the outer western D.C. suburbs swing seat and the outer southern D.C. suburbs swing seat.  HoD will be decided in downstate college towns and majority-minoriy seats that probably aren't that excited about a shutdown either way.

If Democrats win the two competitive Prince William Seats (21 and 22), wouldn't that make the Democrats favored to win the House of Delegates? My math could be wrong but my impression was those two were close to be tipping point seats.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6654 on: September 29, 2023, 04:35:54 PM »

If Democrats win the two competitive Prince William Seats (21 and 22), wouldn't that make the Democrats favored to win the House of Delegates? My math could be wrong but my impression was those two were close to be tipping point seats.

Assuming they lose nothing else, that makes a 50/50 tie.  Which, fascinatingly, cannot be broken! 
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6655 on: September 29, 2023, 08:12:41 PM »

If the shutdown extends into mid-October, Democrats are winning both chambers.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6656 on: September 29, 2023, 08:48:07 PM »

If House Republicans are actually stupid enough to let the shutdown go on for two weeks, then the VA House and Senate are both Safe D.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6657 on: September 29, 2023, 09:13:34 PM »

There are enough winnable seats in NOVA for Dems to control both chambers if there are no flukes in the seats expected to be >99% safe. They are just more apparent in the state senate cause normal partisan leanings suggest there are better targets for house Dems further south.  But the competitive seats are there, and NOVA is where the shutdown hammer would fall especially hardest. Depending on what happens,  we could have to segregate seats based on their geography and how their proximity to DC could change behaviors and outcomes.

Additionally,  when everyone thinks about shutdown effects on voter behavior,  we think of convincing voters who are on the fence. That's what seemingly happened in 2013, or at least become part of it's myth. But we also should remember that Virginia now has many early voting options that are being utilized right now to such an extent that some expect higher turnout than 2021. A voter who goes to the polls early during a shutdown to cast a ballot of anger is likely to lock that in even if circumstances change.  Similarly,  someone with suddenly a bunch of free time my see the value in going to the polls, when under normal circumstances work may take precedence.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #6658 on: September 30, 2023, 02:02:14 PM »

McCarthy is doing the best he can given his circumstances.

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6659 on: September 30, 2023, 02:06:12 PM »

Update: shutdown may be immediatly alleviated until after the election. The details are still in question,  with the bill just passed by the house probably getting Ukrainian money via the senate and another 300+ floor vote, but the crisis at least appears the have been averted.

However,  things are not rosey for VA Republicans. The passage of the extension agreed to by the senate and Biden without concessions to the congressional troll caucus seems to have been mutually incompatible with McCarthys job. All signals suggest a motion to vacate the chair is coming down the pipe. Dems have said they would vote for this, like any opposition party faced with a VONC,  so unless something changes McCarthy may be DOA. At which point we return to the chaos of January. Republican turmoil makes the GOP look weak and crazy to NOVA viewers, and it will be the only news story.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #6660 on: September 30, 2023, 02:11:08 PM »

Update: shutdown may be immediatly alleviated until after the election. The details are still in question,  with the bill just passed by the house probably getting Ukrainian money via the senate and another 300+ floor vote, but the crisis at least appears the have been averted.

However,  things are not rosey for VA Republicans. The passage of the extension agreed to by the senate and Biden without concessions to the congressional troll caucus seems to have been mutually incompatible with McCarthys job. All signals suggest a motion to vacate the chair is coming down the pipe. Dems have said they would vote for this, like any opposition party faced with a VONC,  so unless something changes McCarthy may be DOA. At which point we return to the chaos of January. Republican turmoil makes the GOP look weak and crazy to NOVA viewers, and it will be the only news story.
Are they really going to vacate the speaker just for a 45 day bill? It seems like just wishful thinking for now. They can shut down the government after 45 days if they want to.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6661 on: September 30, 2023, 02:21:19 PM »

Are they really going to vacate the speaker just for a 45 day bill? It seems like just wishful thinking for now. They can shut down the government after 45 days if they want to.

Gaetz seemed to want to do it literally now, but Bice with the gavel ignored him and adjourned the chamber.  It's not about the practicalities,  it's about appearances. McCarthy appeared to ignore them and sidelined all their policies, never mind they were poison pills for the senate.  So now, because they can't be defeated by the establishment,  it's time to claim a scalp. Like I said, trolls, that need to always be victims seeking retribution.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #6662 on: September 30, 2023, 02:23:16 PM »

Gaetz seemed to want to do it literally now, but Bice with the gavel ignored him and adjourned the chamber.  It's not about the practicalities,  it's about appearances. McCarthy appeared to ignore them and sidelined all their policies, never mind they were poison pills for the senate.  So now, because they can't be defeated by the establishment,  it's time to claim a scalp. Like I said, trolls.
The freedom caucus was reasonable to demand negotiations during the debt ceiling, but this potential shutdown that we just avoided would've been over nothing other than to tank Virgnia R's chances. This ordeal increases the strength of my endorsement for Gaetz for 2026 FL-governor, as not only will this cause the governorship to flip (thus finishing what's left of DeSantis politically), but it also gets an idiot out of the house.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #6663 on: September 30, 2023, 06:25:53 PM »

There is another alternative, which is to abstain/vote present. Ukraine funding is one of the most pressing issues right now. I think one of the question is whether or not that can be done through discharge petitions through the remainder of this Congress.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6664 on: October 01, 2023, 08:52:40 PM »

Btw, when the last time a single state legislative race received as much national attention as the Gibson one?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6665 on: October 02, 2023, 07:12:22 AM »

Btw, when the last time a single state legislative race received as much national attention as the Gibson one?

Early last year there was that Michigan legislature special election where the Republican said he would let his daughter get raped, or whatever bananapants crazy thing it was.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6666 on: October 02, 2023, 11:14:05 AM »

Submitting this one.

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6667 on: October 02, 2023, 06:04:17 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6668 on: October 03, 2023, 09:10:41 AM »

I honestly think that this race has been nationalized because of abortion and Youngkin’s credibility as being a conservative governor in a blue state. If Republicans sweep, I think the morning line for 2024 is a toss-up though the campaign itself might make it move substantially. I think if things kind of cancel eachother out, I think we can move VA back to Lean D. The Dems barely sweeping keeps it Likely D, but a clear overperformance probably starts it at Safe D.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6669 on: October 03, 2023, 03:39:05 PM »

riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #6670 on: October 03, 2023, 03:59:56 PM »

I wonder if the entire speaker ordeal hurts VA Republicans right now.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6671 on: October 03, 2023, 04:43:00 PM »

I hope that this election sends the right message on this.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6672 on: October 03, 2023, 04:44:45 PM »

Probably not much. This doesn’t have an immediate impact on the lives of federal workers in the way that a shutdown would have.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6673 on: October 03, 2023, 05:13:41 PM »

Probably not much. This doesn’t have an immediate impact on the lives of federal workers in the way that a shutdown would have.

It makes the prospect of the shutdown happen that much more possible.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6674 on: October 04, 2023, 10:58:51 AM »

Still pretty consistent with now over 100K+

Pages: 1 ... 262 263 264 265 266 [267] 268 269 270 271 272 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies