Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:48:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 339778 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 08, 2021, 09:26:23 PM »

The VAGOP just can't catch a break, lol.   What a mess.

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 07:42:28 PM »

Right now it seems like a guaranteed D hold, but that could still change.

When one of the biggest questions going in is whether or not Chesterfield County votes GOP, this is well on its way to becoming a rather boring race.

Margins may be closer than 2017, but no way do I see the outcome changing (And yes I'm aware Carter/Fairfax have a non-insignificant chance of being nominated).

Chesterfield County is almost certainly going to vote for the Republican candidate. The question is by how much.
Chesterfield voted for Biden/Warner by 7, it will not vote Republican.

7 points isn't that much of a margin to make up. It's certainly possible, although I doubt it'll happen. If there is suburban reversion, I would think it's more likely to happen near Richmond than in NoVA.

Well Henrico County is more Democratic slightly than Loudoun or Prince William in most elections and I dont believe there is a county wide Republican in Henrico.

I may have been to dramatic in saying that Chesterfield will vote for the GOP candidate. But the GOP is favored slightly there in November.

I have seen Chesterfield County compared to St. Charles County Mo. I strongly disagree with that comparison. Chesterfield is nearly 30% black and is more educated.

Even Northam won Chesterfield in 2017 by half a point,  and the trends have certainly not gotten any better for Republicans there over the past 4 years.   It's gone for the GOP.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 05:49:07 PM »

D+1 for VA HoD is a bit worrying actually.  Interesting Mcauliffe does the worst of the three.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 08:40:33 AM »

Youngkin says he can't share his views on abortion since they wouldn't win the independent voters support that he needs.   

In other words he's hiding his views since he knows they're unpopular in the state.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 10:19:40 PM »

Confusing ad actually,  McAuliffe already won the primary.  Why would tying him to Trump help Youngkin?  Youngkin is putting out ads every minute about how much Trump loves him.   What's the aim here?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 02:18:31 PM »

Is Youngkin actually going to win this?  wtf
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 02:56:09 PM »

If Youngkin wins, it'll be almost entirely thanks to low turnout in the Tidewater area.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 06:42:09 PM »

I'm reading the Loudoun votes are E-day and not early/mail.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 06:59:17 PM »

Establishment Democrats suck.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 07:24:37 PM »

Pretty sure we can confidently say Democrats will lose Congress in 2022 barring some major catastrophe.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 07:43:19 PM »

How does the VA state house election look?  I assume GOP should recapture the majority.

Near certain R majority.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 08:01:22 PM »

It’s just not CRT but a backlash to the national dem agenda in general . VA while a blue state isn’t that blue like say OR

It's not like Republicans have anything to run on themselves other than "stop the libs!"
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 08:05:48 PM »

This really proves Republicans have literally nothing to fear from expanding voter access.   Virginia enacted AVR, expanded early in person voting and made absentee voting no excuse, along with a host of other initiatives (drop off locations, sunday voting, etc) and the Republicans still won without trouble.

The GOP's obsession with voter suppression is really pointless IMO.   It worked back in the Pre-Trump days, now it's useless for them.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 08:08:18 PM »

Something democrats don’t get is : Responding to the CRT debate by saying but it isn’t taught in public schools is ok if it isn’t then why are you guys getting so worked up by opposing candidates saying they will ban it . If it isn’t being taught than that ban shouldn’t change a thing right .

What is there to ban?   You want to erase certain history lessons or something?  It's not like CRT is a uniform textualized program outside of maybe law school. 
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 08:15:39 PM »

Democrats should just pass a "No Critical Race Theory in Public Schools Act" and spend a few million highlighting it in white suburban battleground districts honestly. It wouldn't actually do anything policy-wise, takes the issue off the table politically, and is not something the Democratic base cares about en masse.

"CRT" is more Republican propaganda at this point than anything Democrats are pushing for.   

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 08:51:27 PM »

The maps weren't redrawn due to the census delay.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2023, 06:47:57 PM »

Louise Lucas leading in SD-18, yuck.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2023, 07:55:13 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2023, 08:03:03 PM by Nyvin »

The Dominion-backed candidates aren't doing well.   They lost SD-13, most likely lost SD-33, and could lose SD-11.

Edit - Nvm, looks like Deeds won SD-11.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2023, 08:31:46 PM »

Joe Morrissey, John Edwards, and Chap Petersen all being gone next year will definitely move the chamber to the left if Dems win a majority in November.

They were probably the three most moderate/right wing senators in the D caucus.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2023, 08:37:27 PM »

Looking at the map, I don't think Petersen is 100% done. I think it'll come down to Falls Church. If he wins, it will be close though. I estimate Salim has a 2/3 chance.

If it's down to Falls Church, he's probably done for.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2023, 08:42:08 PM »

I just added some info.  I think these results call into question whether the State Senate will actually be easier for Dems than the HoD.  Not so much because of the Petersen and Barker seats.  Those are >60% McAuliffe and would probably auto-elect any Dem not named Joe Morrisey in the general.  It's not like they nominated a lifelong professional activist in SD-31 (the most likely decisive seat in western Loudoun).  However, if Guzman actually wins SD-29 over incumbent McPike (there is a lot of vote left to count), that would be more concerning.  Guzman introduced a bill last year to revoke parental rights for parents who refuse to affirm their child's gender identity.  That's not a 100% safe seat and it's also the kind of place that is likely way more Dem than socially liberal.  

All of the Tilt R narrow Biden->Youngkin districts got the strongest Republican nominee tonight, so I don't see any freebies on the map for Dems elsewhere.    

What about Joel Griffin vs Tara Durant in SD-27?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2023, 09:37:15 PM »

Chap Petersen probably was just too moderate for a district like SD-37 and was coasting on hometown appeal.   Redistricting was probably going to screw him over no matter what.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2023, 07:18:44 PM »

Russet Perry seems like a great candidate for SD-31 though, so the chances of a D majority are pretty good saying they win that and SD-16.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2023, 08:48:07 PM »

If House Republicans are actually stupid enough to let the shutdown go on for two weeks, then the VA House and Senate are both Safe D.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2023, 08:50:49 PM »

This looks really great for HD-82 .  It probably helps that so much of the Dem vote here is concentrated in Petersburg, it probably makes canvassing/campaigning a lot easier.  That and the Republican vote being overwhelmingly low turnout rural whites both work out to advantage the D's.   Kimberly Adams seems like a fierce campaigner too.

Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies