COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:28:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 338 339 340 [341] 342 343 344 345 346 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 545852 times)
compucomp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8500 on: December 27, 2021, 05:08:34 PM »
« edited: December 27, 2021, 05:20:50 PM by compucomp »

CDC has updated their guidance - no quarantine needed if boosted and exposed; 5 days of isolation instead of 10 if you get a test.

It's more complicated than this.

ISOLATION

The isolation rules are for people who are infected. They are the same for people who are unvaccinated, partly vaccinated, fully vaccinated or boosted.

They say:

—The clock starts the day you test positive.

—An infected person should go into isolations for five days, instead of the previously recommended 10.

—At the end of five days, if you have no symptoms, you can return to normal activities but must wear a mask everywhere — even at home around others — for at least five more days.

—If you still have symptoms after isolating for five days, stay home until you feel better and then start your five days of wearing a mask at all times.

QUARANTINE

The quarantine rules are for people who were in close contact with an infected person but not infected themselves.

For quarantine, the clock starts the day someone is alerted to they may have been exposed to the virus.

Previously, the CDC said people who were not fully vaccinated and who came in close contact with an infected person should stay home for at least 10 days.

Now the agency is saying only people who got booster shots can skip quarantine if they wear masks in all settings for at least 10 days.

That’s a change. Previously, people who were fully vaccinated — which the CDC has defined as having two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine — could be exempt from quarantine.

Now, people who got their initial shots but not boosters are in the same situation as those who are partly vaccinated or are not vaccinated at all: They can stop quarantine after five days if they wear masks in all settings for five days afterward.

Good luck enforcing all this, particularly the parts with the mask-wearing. If we're going to use this then we need indoor mask mandates for sure.

Edit: I think this is a mistake in terms of public health. Yes I understand that the economy and society may grind to a halt with disastrous consequences if everyone has to quarantine at the same time. But just like the May mask guidance that led to mask mandates being rescinded, they made a public health decision for non-health reasons and then covered their asses with impractical and unenforceable fine print. They should have advocated that indoor mask mandates be brought back everywhere as a bare minimum measure of enforcement.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8501 on: December 27, 2021, 05:11:14 PM »

Fauci says U.S. should consider adding a vaccine requirement for domestic flights
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #8502 on: December 27, 2021, 05:12:14 PM »

So the "papers please" regime is now complete.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8503 on: December 27, 2021, 05:20:06 PM »

Would be nice if we could keep the unvaccinated mole people out of our nation’s beautiful skies. I suspect it would have the beneficial side effect of removing some of the most aggressive and violent passengers as well.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8504 on: December 27, 2021, 05:21:43 PM »

I wear a mask outdoors because it’s cold as hell right now.

Oh my. The only thing gayer than that would be to wear make-up to keep out the cold. Here is a back shot of me yesterday in a hood near you holding a poop bag,  on a 7 mile trek sans mask (take my word for it, and who wants to power walk with a mask on?), where for the first time ever, the dog seemed to make it clear it was dog basket time.

Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8505 on: December 27, 2021, 05:25:11 PM »

Buy a scarf.  Wink
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #8506 on: December 27, 2021, 05:29:39 PM »

It's time to completely end quarantines and testing, but cutting it from 10 to 5 days for those who have it is a step in the right direction.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #8507 on: December 27, 2021, 06:14:33 PM »

When do you think vaccinated individuals in blue states won't have to wear masks anymore (even if it is temporary)?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8508 on: December 27, 2021, 06:35:02 PM »

I'm  guessing you haven't flown in the last 20 years
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8509 on: December 27, 2021, 06:46:42 PM »

It's time to completely end quarantines and testing, but cutting it from 10 to 5 days for those who have it is a step in the right direction.

Burying your head in the sand and pretending covid isn't still out there won't make it so. What you're proposing is nothing short of authoritarian-style censoring.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8510 on: December 27, 2021, 07:11:36 PM »

The CDC has done the right thing by shortening the isolation period in light of omicron.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8511 on: December 27, 2021, 07:59:34 PM »

I am able to return to work tonight after my covid isolation and I am fully recovered despite being historically very sensitive to respiratory illnesses.

Thank you vaccines!
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8512 on: December 27, 2021, 08:04:23 PM »

Your pooch is obliged to get a rabies shot. Few complain.
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #8513 on: December 27, 2021, 09:38:54 PM »

How have the grey cardboard vaccine cards still not been modernized? Driver's licenses switched to plastic 50 years ago for a reason.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8514 on: December 27, 2021, 10:03:29 PM »

Buy a scarf.  Wink
And wrap it over your face? Doesnt that just make it a glorified cloth mask?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8515 on: December 28, 2021, 03:20:10 AM »

How have the grey cardboard vaccine cards still not been modernized? Driver's licenses switched to plastic 50 years ago for a reason.

Wouldn't you just use a QR code?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8516 on: December 28, 2021, 04:40:29 AM »

Yes, let's punish people who are unable to afford a portable computer.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8517 on: December 28, 2021, 10:01:35 AM »

Americans do not use QR codes, as a general rule.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #8518 on: December 28, 2021, 11:52:59 AM »

Will we get to 1 million cases per day before January 1, or just shortly after?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8519 on: December 28, 2021, 12:00:18 PM »

Does it even matter at this point?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #8520 on: December 28, 2021, 12:32:35 PM »

Does it even matter at this point?

Since we don’t yet know for absolute certain that Omicron causes less severe illness of great significance, I’d say it matters.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8521 on: December 28, 2021, 01:00:15 PM »

This does not seem to have been very well handled at all. Part of the problem is that if this is going to be enforced, the eating establishments need to enforce it. Having the cops go in and ask for vax papers, and then if the patrons don't have them, they need to drop their half eaten burger on the plate and go into the paddy wagon (without paying the bill?), is well, nutter. Myself I assume that eating inside a restaurant is a risky scheme, period. This display is not going to change that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV3YUHGrxJ4
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8522 on: December 28, 2021, 01:11:10 PM »

Good to see we're being more rational about this than in some places. Based on the available evidence omicron actually does clear your system faster in around five days. Amazing how some of the loudest voices saying "follow the science" are turning on the CDC now that they've told them something they don't want to hear. Ultimately the CDC knows way more about this than you (and yes, that includes Fauci) and you trust them or you don't.

My comment saying more or less this got removed within a minute on reddit's COVID sub for being a "political post" but the hundreds of "OMG capitalism" comments are apparently not political and not being removed.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8523 on: December 28, 2021, 01:15:58 PM »

This does not seem to have been very well handled at all. Part of the problem is that if this is going to be enforced, the eating establishments need to enforce it. Having the cops go in and ask for vax papers, and then if the patrons don't have them, they need to drop their half eaten burger on the plate and go into the paddy wagon (without paying the bill?), is well, nutter. Myself I assume that eating inside a restaurant is a risky scheme, period. This display is not going to change that.

The sheer amount of chaos De Blasio is causing in his last few days is staggering.
compucomp

« Reply #8524 on: December 28, 2021, 01:36:28 PM »

Good to see we're being more rational about this than in some places. Based on the available evidence omicron actually does clear your system faster in around five days. Amazing how some of the loudest voices saying "follow the science" are turning on the CDC now that they've told them something they don't want to hear. Ultimately the CDC knows way more about this than you (and yes, that includes Fauci) and you trust them or you don't.

My comment saying more or less this got removed within a minute on reddit's COVID sub for being a "political post" but the hundreds of "OMG capitalism" comments are apparently not political and not being removed.

And you trusted the public health agencies last year in February when their failed testing indicated there was zero COVID in the USA? You trusted them last March when they told you not to buy masks and that COVID is not airborne?

Seriously, there is just too much smoke here. The CEO of Delta goes on TV and says the quarantine should be reduced to 5 days, voila, the CDC reduces it to five days, and pulls out without citation "scientific results" out of their back pocket, possibly out of their ass, that perfectly justifies it. It's not possible to draw any proper scientific conclusions about Omicron since we have known about it for just a month and Omicron cases are not even properly separated from Delta cases to do proper analysis. If they had an ironclad evidence beforehand, why didn't they reduce the quarantine before during a quiet period like May when they disastrously rescinded their mask guidance?

Just because Trump is not the president anymore, doesn't mean that the government is now incapable of manipulating data to justify a predetermined conclusion. I'm not even sure this conclusion is that bad; with how fast Omicron is spreading we could have been headed for huge supply chain and other societal disruptions. But the CDC should be honest like Fauci and say this change was made to keep the economy running, full stop, and stop pretending the new guidance will keep us safe.

I'm sure this is missing context about why these people were arrested, as physical confrontation was probably involved, but in any case, I'm pleasantly surprised and glad that public health mandates are actually being enforced with force.
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 338 339 340 [341] 342 343 344 345 346 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies