COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:08:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 325 326 327 [328] 329 330 331 332 333 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 552625 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8175 on: December 18, 2021, 12:40:52 PM »

Here's an interesting thought: what if omicron had been the initial variant to infect humans?  It spreads like wildfire but so far appears to be less severe.  Probably most people would have contracted it, but would there have been enough severe cases to strain the medical systems?
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #8176 on: December 18, 2021, 01:13:03 PM »

Here's an interesting thought: what if omicron had been the initial variant to infect humans?  It spreads like wildfire but so far appears to be less severe.  Probably most people would have contracted it, but would there have been enough severe cases to strain the medical systems?

Probably still yes, given our lack of vaccines and prior infections providing at least some protection.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #8177 on: December 18, 2021, 01:32:10 PM »

Enough of this bullsh*t. Vax requirements at all bars, restaurants, events, workplaces, NOW! Everything but the grocery store and public transit.

Let the unvaccinated lock down at home if they feel so strongly about it.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8178 on: December 18, 2021, 02:28:03 PM »

Question:

Do 2 doses of a mRNA vaccine protect you from a severe omicron case, or do I need a booster?

One google search suggested 2 moderna shots provides substantial protection against severity

One suggested 2 shots totally useless
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #8179 on: December 18, 2021, 02:34:58 PM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8180 on: December 18, 2021, 02:44:08 PM »

Question:

Do 2 doses of a mRNA vaccine protect you from a severe omicron case, or do I need a booster?

One google search suggested 2 moderna shots provides substantial protection against severity

Booster shot increases protection greatly, to over 80% from what our Health Minister said. Four or five months after the second dose protection is down to about 35%.

mRNA vaccines are certainly better than Vector vaccines.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8181 on: December 18, 2021, 03:05:12 PM »

2 mRNA + booster and Omicron is very likely to be asymptomatic or mild for you.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8182 on: December 18, 2021, 04:20:12 PM »

https://ew.com/movies/spider-man-no-way-home-second-best-opening-day-in-box-office-history/

But the doomers were saying no one would ever want to leave their houses ever again.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #8183 on: December 18, 2021, 04:22:20 PM »

Just based on chats I've had with folks at UPENN's resident center for COVID research (and other infectious diseases, blah blah), the response to Omicron should lie somewhere in the middle -- there's no need to hit the panic button, but it should still serve as a reminder that COVID isn't "over".  Don't fear-monger, but be responsible. 

Thanks for the insight, it's appreciate in a thread like this. Anything else that the people at the COVID research center said about the variant that's useful to know?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8184 on: December 18, 2021, 04:25:45 PM »

That movie was awesome, but it's starting to feel like the beginning of the pandemic. No live audience for SNL, professional sports games being delayed, long lines of people to get tested. At least there's plenty of toilet paper though. 🧻
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8185 on: December 18, 2021, 04:31:50 PM »

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #8186 on: December 18, 2021, 04:32:03 PM »

That movie was awesome, but it's starting to feel like the beginning of the pandemic. No live audience for SNL, professional sports games being delayed, long lines of people to get tested. At least there's plenty of toilet paper though. 🧻

The fear among the general public doesn't seem nearly as bad. I don't even see many masks anymore.

Also, there's a new item that says the Biden regime is going to stop focusing on case counts and instead on hospitalizations. This would actually be more accurate.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8187 on: December 18, 2021, 04:32:22 PM »

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8188 on: December 18, 2021, 04:33:13 PM »

I see Slow Biden is finally delivering the COVID message he should've delivered at the start of the Delta wave.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #8189 on: December 18, 2021, 04:33:54 PM »

Imagine spending all that money to attend Harvard and not even having real classes.
compucomp

« Reply #8190 on: December 18, 2021, 04:47:53 PM »

I see Slow Biden is finally delivering the COVID message he should've delivered at the start of the Delta wave.

He'd better be right on his gamble that the effect of Omicron will be more mild per case than before given a population mostly vaccinated or recovered. I think it has good odds of success, the data from Europe and SA support this conclusion. But if he's wrong, then very soon we'll soon see a repeat of India where hospitals are in meltdown, we're all begging for oxygen containers on Twitter and Facebook, and corpses start accumulating in the streets.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8191 on: December 18, 2021, 04:54:47 PM »

New study from Denmark.

Hospitalization (1.5% for Delta vs 1.2% for Omicron) and intensive care (0.11% vs 0.13%) rates are similar, but very small sample and different age and vaccination status population (only unadjusted data?). For instance in case of Delta 44% was unvaxxed, while with Omicron only 14% are unvaxxed. Can explain possible mildness. But even with more "severe" Delta, the death rate is 0.07% in Denmark. If you're vaccinated, you're safe as f**k.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8192 on: December 18, 2021, 05:02:30 PM »

Question:

Booster shot increases protection greatly, to over 80% from what our Health Minister said. Four or five months after the second dose protection is down to about 35%.

mRNA vaccines are certainly better than Vector vaccines.

He asked about protection against severe omicron decease. ~35% number is the protection against being infected, not against severe infection.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #8193 on: December 18, 2021, 05:27:41 PM »

New study from Denmark.

Hospitalization (1.5% for Delta vs 1.2% for Omicron) and intensive care (0.11% vs 0.13%) rates are similar, but very small sample and different age and vaccination status population (only unadjusted data?). For instance in case of Delta 44% was unvaxxed, while with Omicron only 14% are unvaxxed. Can explain possible mildness. But even with more "severe" Delta, the death rate is 0.07% in Denmark. If you're vaccinated, you're safe as f**k.

Interesting that the age distribution of Omicron is much closer to the original strain than Delta is.  I guess this might also reflect evasion of vaccines by Omicron.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8194 on: December 18, 2021, 05:39:45 PM »

Remember, how I was mocked for warning you, lockdowns are coming? It was 2 days ago. Sure, technically there is no lockdowns. Only school being closed, shows and sport being cancelled, mask mandates being reintroduced and some restaurants being closed as well. And the peak of Omicron lies weeks ahead.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8195 on: December 18, 2021, 05:52:02 PM »

I think they're coming, I'm just not sure we need to do them. Hopefully they're just precautionary & temporary.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #8196 on: December 18, 2021, 05:56:25 PM »

Also note that only 7% of Omicron cases had received the booster vaccine, though I’m not sure how this compares to Denmark’s population.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #8197 on: December 18, 2021, 06:19:20 PM »

I think they're coming, I'm just not sure we need to do them. Hopefully they're just precautionary & temporary.

Ha!
Hollywood
« Reply #8198 on: December 18, 2021, 06:24:40 PM »

I warned you guys on Thanksgiving that travel bans needed to be put in place, and borders shut down in the areas affected by climatologically favorable areas for Covid-19 infection spread and severity.   I said the worst cases would occur in the Great Lakes, Ohio Valley and Northeast given the dry cool pattern.  I always pinpointed the areas in Europe that would receive the worst outbreaks, and included Mediterranean states like Italy and Spain given the worse conditions shifting over to Western and Southern Europe.  The Worst outbreak is in Uk, and look where the cool, dry air was located, and those conditions weaken the mucous membranes ability to capture viral particles as they head in doors to work or reside with other potential carriers and spreaders in closed quarters with the windows shut.
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=eu&pkg=midRH&runtime=2021121818&fh=84

People do not lack access to healthcare.  They lack access to medical information that can save their lives by fighting the virus at the beginning of the infection rather than when it has progressed to severe symptoms that interferes or impair breathing, blood-oxygen circulation and proper detoxification via the bodies water filtration system (kidneys, intestines, etc.).  Without those crucial functions, the symptoms will kill the host before it can mount an attack against the virus.  That's why monoclonal antibodies were so effective in treating even the vaccinated in Florida.  It gives a person five days worth of antibodies, and that's all it takes for the body to develop its own immune response. 

I am not anti-vax.  I had to vaccinate for serious diseases in order to become an EMT.  It's worth it not to get a blood borne pathogen like hepatitis.  But for influenza or Covid-19?  No.  Those can be beaten with relative ease when a person has access to heat, hot water, vitamins, healthy foods, and medically educated community or family members.  The spread can be limited by people who have access to their own exclusive air system (windows and radiator to keep the cold at bay).  Cities are the worst place to be during a pandemic, particularly the impoverished inner cities.  The rich people from the cities are now my neighbors.  If you have access to hot, sunny and humid environment outside your front door, you've already got better access to healthcare than someone living in a cold, dry, and darker environment.  So yes.  Many people in this country are blocked from accessing adequate healthcare, because they are crammed in overcrowded areas, and treatment at a great hospital is likely to occur at a late stage of a viral infection. 

The fact is that Dr. Fauci is F-ing socially awkward imbecile that can't effectively communicate, which could be overcome if he could be trusted as a health official.  This is a guy that proclaimed Covid-19 was not infectious even though there was indisputable evidence from videos and medical testimony coming out of China. 
Hollywood
« Reply #8199 on: December 18, 2021, 06:27:41 PM »

Remember, how I was mocked for warning you, lockdowns are coming? It was 2 days ago. Sure, technically there is no lockdowns. Only school being closed, shows and sport being cancelled, mask mandates being reintroduced and some restaurants being closed as well. And the peak of Omicron lies weeks ahead.

I saw you.  You were right there with me when we learned of Omicron.  I think we were in total agreement that the worst was about to begin for Europe and the Northern US. 
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 325 326 327 [328] 329 330 331 332 333 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies