COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:21:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 312 313 314 [315] 316 317 318 319 320 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 552857 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7850 on: December 02, 2021, 10:14:44 AM »

Doesn't it seem strange that these new variants always seem to come just when we are managing the one before it? They don't come all at once, and why is that? Are these things being engineered? And now we are being told by pharmaceutical companies to get boosters. What? We are allowing pharmaceutical companies to run the dialogue?

I believe there is something fishy going on. I'm tired of being a human pin cushion. I think we are being hoodwinked.

We're not being hoodwinked. It's omicron because we're on O.

Well they skipped nu and xi. Nu because it sounds like new, and xi because that's the name of the leader of China.

So this is totally tangential...but can anyone explain why the Chinese President's name is transliterated as "Xi" and not "Shi"?  I.e. why is an "sh" sound in Chinese written as "x" in English, when "x" is almost never pronounced as "sh" in English words?

The Latin alphabet used officially in China (at least for Mandarin) is Pinyin. It does not have anything like a one-to-one correspondence with English sounds of consonants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7851 on: December 02, 2021, 10:25:11 AM »

Not verified through enough data yet, but there's a possibility for immune escape among recovered patients without booster shots.

BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #7852 on: December 02, 2021, 11:25:47 AM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7853 on: December 02, 2021, 11:38:31 AM »

Anime was a mistake.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7854 on: December 02, 2021, 11:55:15 AM »

What’s the point of a travel ban now?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7855 on: December 02, 2021, 11:57:42 AM »

The same reason for the mask mandates.  We have to do "something" and this is "something".
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #7856 on: December 02, 2021, 12:29:53 PM »

Uh posivity rate...

jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7857 on: December 02, 2021, 12:44:18 PM »

Its time to do what we should have done in March 2020.. let the virus run its course!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7858 on: December 02, 2021, 12:46:16 PM »

Its time to do what we should have done in March 2020.. let the virus run its course!

I guess you were in favor of the health care system collapsing.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7859 on: December 02, 2021, 12:47:07 PM »

it is not like the United States.. will actually do anything!

And this time letting this variant run the course is more credible as we do have vaccines.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7860 on: December 02, 2021, 12:52:27 PM »

And this time letting this variant run the course is more credible as we do have vaccines.

This time, yes.  Given the prevalence of vaccines, it makes some sense unless/until the health care system gets dangerously strained.  Those who decide not to get vaccinated will die in much greater numbers than those who do, and frankly I do not care about them.  I do not wish for death or suffering to happen to them, but if it happens then it's entirely their own fault and I am out of empathy for them.

However, you said that we should have let it run its course in March 2020.  That would have been sheer madness.  Millions more would have died; the health care system would have collapsed; and the economy would have been in shambles -- much worse than that caused by lockdowns.  I hope that you were just exaggerating, because if you truly believe we should have let the virus run its course in early 2020 then I can only conclude that you must be a nihilist.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7861 on: December 02, 2021, 01:04:30 PM »

This time, yes.  Given the prevalence of vaccines, it makes some sense unless/until the health care system gets dangerously strained.  Those who decide not to get vaccinated will die in much greater numbers than those who do, and frankly I do not care about them.  I do not wish for death or suffering to happen to them, but if it happens then it's entirely their own fault and I am out of empathy for them.

However, you said that we should have let it run its course in March 2020.  That would have been sheer madness.  Millions more would have died; the health care system would have collapsed; and the economy would have been in shambles -- much worse than that caused by lockdowns.  I hope that you were just exaggerating, because if you truly believe we should have let the virus run its course in early 2020 then I can only conclude that you must be a nihilist.

I was exaggerating to an extent but with the initial form of the virus, I wonder how much actual damage would have been caused if we let the economy keep going with masks and social distancing.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7862 on: December 02, 2021, 01:09:45 PM »

A serious thought I do have is how the pandemic would have went if there were no stay at home orders but instead mask mandates and social distancing measures only.

If Delta was the original strain of the virus, I wouldn't have been as strong against stay at home orders.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7863 on: December 02, 2021, 02:14:35 PM »

It delays when Omicron becomes dominant here which gives us more time to get people vaccinated/boosted.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7864 on: December 02, 2021, 02:24:50 PM »

Uh posivity rate...

It definitely looks less virulent
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #7865 on: December 02, 2021, 03:31:04 PM »

Uh posivity rate...

These numbers are really not that helpful for determining how infectious or severe delta is since SA is so much less vaccinated, and I'm sure nobody has gotten a booster there. Europe's numbers over the next few weeks will really give us an idea of where this is going.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7866 on: December 02, 2021, 03:52:58 PM »

Uh posivity rate...

These numbers are really not that helpful for determining how infectious or severe delta is since SA is so much less vaccinated, and I'm sure nobody has gotten a booster there. Europe's numbers over the next few weeks will really give us an idea of where this is going.

If it can breakthrough vaccines completely, sure. That would be bad. If vaccines were at least somewhat effective against it, that would be great.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #7867 on: December 02, 2021, 06:19:39 PM »

It's happening!
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7868 on: December 02, 2021, 06:20:31 PM »

It's happening!

And you’re loving it as usual.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7869 on: December 02, 2021, 07:08:23 PM »

Looks like there won't be a seven day quarantine requirement for inbound US Flights. Good!
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #7870 on: December 02, 2021, 07:09:20 PM »

Uh posivity rate...

I'm keeping an eye on Israel. Only two reported cases there, it seems. Israel is about 80% fully-vaccinated and while 60% of COVID patients are as well, that demographic leans older.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7871 on: December 02, 2021, 07:22:31 PM »

Unsurprisingly, the Omicron variant has reached Colorado. By the end of the month, it will probably be identified in every state of the Union.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #7872 on: December 02, 2021, 08:44:02 PM »

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #7873 on: December 02, 2021, 08:54:20 PM »

Hmm.. if this variant is highly transmissionable and less lethal..

Should we have covid parties to try to get to herd immunity?

Are you listening to yourself? This is dumb. Stop posting. I have so little patience left for stuff like this.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7874 on: December 02, 2021, 09:02:34 PM »

Omicron Time
So now we have the Omicron variant to think about. I'm just as glad that I wasn't around to blog on Monday and Tuesday of this week while the news started hitting, because the main useful thing to say was that there wasn't much useful to say yet. That's still largely the case, but we can at least try to get our bearings and get ready to interpret the data that will be coming our way over the next couple of weeks. So here's my "Intro to Omicron", for what it's worth.
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 312 313 314 [315] 316 317 318 319 320 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies