COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 01:26:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 302 303 304 [305] 306 307 308 309 310 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 545939 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7600 on: November 25, 2021, 10:14:29 PM »

I’m still perplexed as to why there hasn’t been more public activism on pro-vax side.  Like, why are there so many idiotic anti-vax “protest”, but I have yet to hear of anyone organizing a protest demanding faster approval of vaccines for kids, or boosters, or stricter vaccine mandates, or (earlier on) challenge trials?  These are all things that could have saved hundreds of thousands of lives!
I could get behind that. Meet at Lafayette Square next week on Wednesday? Don’t forget to bring all the anti-populist Biden-Youngkin Comstock simps.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #7601 on: November 25, 2021, 10:37:48 PM »

I’m still perplexed as to why there hasn’t been more public activism on pro-vax side.  Like, why are there so many idiotic anti-vax “protest”, but I have yet to hear of anyone organizing a protest demanding faster approval of vaccines for kids, or boosters, or stricter vaccine mandates, or (earlier on) challenge trials?  These are all things that could have saved hundreds of thousands of lives!
anti-populist Biden-Youngkin Comstock simps.
😂😂😂😂😂😂
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7602 on: November 26, 2021, 01:35:08 AM »

After how bad my side effects were to the Moderna booster, I am glad there are alternatives with milder side effects. I'd rather tough it out and get the better protection, but there should be a choice available there.

A protest wouldn't and shouldn't do anything. These aren't politicians and their evaluations of whether a drug is safe for approval shouldn't be influenced by a bunch of non-experts who want it approved faster.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7603 on: November 26, 2021, 04:17:29 AM »

Are the borders already closed to South Africa and the other risky African countries? The good thing about strong border requirements is that you can delay the arrival of the new variant and so plan for it. NZ for example knew how to respond to Delta because we were one of the last countries in the world to get it, and despite other errors in the response were able to prevent a large outbreak and keep most of the country Covid-free until we are now reaching our world-leading vaccination rates.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #7604 on: November 26, 2021, 09:45:43 AM »

Another new variant. This one more dangerous and concerning than Delta.

Will this ever end?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7605 on: November 26, 2021, 09:48:05 AM »
« Edited: November 26, 2021, 11:39:19 AM by Mr.Phips »

Will this ever end?

It won’t ever end.  It will be with us the rest of our lives.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7606 on: November 26, 2021, 09:51:45 AM »

It's possible, if not likely, the vaccines are somewhat less effective against the new variant, though there's not enough data. That said, it was always clear the vaccines need to be adjusted at some point; Pfitzer said they can do so in a matter of 6 weeks if necessary.

For sure it's concerning, though not the time for panic. WHO held an emergency meeting today to assess the situation.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7607 on: November 26, 2021, 09:58:05 AM »

For sure it's concerning, though not the time for panic. WHO held an emergency meeting today to assess the situation.

I know the CDC's response is just going to be "more masks", because that's their response to everything.

Masks, masks, masks. That's their only answer.
compucomp

« Reply #7608 on: November 26, 2021, 10:52:47 AM »

I know the CDC's response is just going to be "more masks", because that's their response to everything.

Masks, masks, masks. That's their only answer.

And what's the problem with that? Masks are a zero cost mitigation measure. A surgical mask costs 5-10c and they don't prevent anyone from doing anything once the usual exceptions are carved out. If the new variant is even more contagious than Delta and more vaccine resistant, why not impose mask mandates again? That's almost like the bare minimum that public health agencies can do. It's an utter disgrace and a huge indictment on American culture that the mask has become a political symbol when it is so valuable in terms of the mitigation benefit it can provide compared to its cost, which is zero.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #7609 on: November 26, 2021, 11:06:33 AM »

Look at the positive side - masks can become a fashion statement. Buy some masks that match your aesthetics. If we’re going to be stuck with them for months/years, might as well look good.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #7610 on: November 26, 2021, 11:08:55 AM »

Prohibiting any NPIs going forward and closing down the WHO seem like the thing to do.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7611 on: November 26, 2021, 11:17:48 AM »

This variant proves my point! We should never close businesses or schools as covid will be around forever!

We can't be locked up in our homes forever
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7612 on: November 26, 2021, 11:19:17 AM »

There is no answer, guys. This will go on for the rest of our lives, but ineffective NPIs don't have to.*

* NPIs were the right answer provided they were a part of a global effort at eradication, but since that is not in the cards, living with the virus is the next best option. The sooner the Biden administration sees this, the better.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7613 on: November 26, 2021, 11:22:29 AM »

Look at the positive side - masks can become a fashion statement. Buy some masks that match your aesthetics. If we’re going to be stuck with them for months/years, might as well look good.

I can't look at the positive side. I have never gotten used to the sight of masks, and I never will.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #7614 on: November 26, 2021, 11:26:35 AM »

Prohibiting any NPIs going forward and closing down the WHO seem like the thing to do.

Prohibiting is a stupid move like banning mandatory vaccinations across the board. Even if you do not think they are justified for covid, there probably are viruses or situations where they would be, and its literally any society cutting off its own arm out of spite.

If the people running your government are morons fire them. But the thing is if you elect new people there is no need to prohibit anything because if people elected on an explicitly anti-NPI platform are persuaded to go with them odds are they have a good reason and you want them to be able to do so,.

The idiocy of the lockdown forever crowd is only exceeded by the idiocacy of those who have turned it into an emotional temper tantrum of a 7 year old.  At least the lockdown forever folks are acting like karens. Not self-harming suicidal goths desperate for attention
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7615 on: November 26, 2021, 11:27:51 AM »

Will BRTD buy a heavy metal foot fetish themed mask?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #7616 on: November 26, 2021, 11:33:35 AM »

Or don't wear an actual mask, wear scarves that can double as a mask and only pull up the scarf if you don't have a choice. Otherwise, have some fun being a fashion diva. Smile
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7617 on: November 26, 2021, 11:36:29 AM »

At this point restrictions should be based ONLY on hospital capacity. Same for mask mandates, but I encourage the bullying of those who don’t wear masks when cases are high, for they deserve not respect nor the dignity of being acknowledged by society as a productive member, because they are not and will never belong in a civilized society.
Same for vaccines.
And to those of you who b**th about masks, unless you are performing extremely strenuous labor or activity while wearing it, I have no sympathy and zero respect for your nonexistent character.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7618 on: November 26, 2021, 11:40:47 AM »

Will this ever end?

No, it won't, COVID is something unprecedented and new and scary.  So much worse than we had probably initially thought, with the comparisons to the 1919 plague.  This is like playing Whack a Mole and the moles that pop up get weirder and weirder.  Mutations and constellations, this COVID might be something that scientists don't understand (they are not wise old men that know everything, never have been).  Time may heal but the Plague is perhaps one of those once in five hundred year things.  

My guess is that it would have been DEVASTATING had it existed in 1519 or 1719 than 2019.  It might have wiped out the entire human population.  Even in the medically and scientifically advanced Western World of 2021, it's killed an unbelievable number of our fellow humans, and it has devastated the globe - the Plague is perhaps not even close to its peak of destruction, so we must really do battle with it!
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #7619 on: November 26, 2021, 11:44:14 AM »

This variant proves my point! We should never close businesses or schools as covid will be around forever!

We can't be locked up in our homes forever

What schools/businesses are still closed? Who is locked in their home?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7620 on: November 26, 2021, 11:46:33 AM »

Will this ever end?

No, it won't, COVID is something unprecedented and new and scary.  So much worse than we had probably initially thought, with the comparisons to the 1919 plague.  This is like playing Whack a Mole and the moles that pop up get weirder and weirder.  Mutations and constellations, this COVID might be something that scientists don't understand (they are not wise old men that know everything, never have been).  Time may heal but the Plague is perhaps one of those once in five hundred year things.  

My guess is that it would have been DEVASTATING had it existed in 1519 or 1719 than 2019.  It might have wiped out the entire human population.  Even in the medically and scientifically advanced Western World of 2021, it's killed an unbelievable number of our fellow humans, and it has devastated the globe - the Plague is perhaps not even close to its peak of destruction, so we must really do battle with it!
No, it would have been like a worse version of measles. Constant but mainly hurting one specific demographic (adults this time instead of kids)
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #7621 on: November 26, 2021, 12:04:35 PM »

This is not intended to be dooming, but what if rather than this being the 'beginning of the end', we're at the 'end of the beginning'? Vaccines and boosters are effective, I don't disagree, but what if it starts to mutate more rapidly and more unpredictably?
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #7622 on: November 26, 2021, 12:16:34 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7623 on: November 26, 2021, 12:26:49 PM »

My guess is that it would have been DEVASTATING had it existed in 1519 or 1719 than 2019.  It might have wiped out the entire human population.  

Latter seems unlikely since so many people as asymptomatic.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7624 on: November 26, 2021, 12:38:47 PM »

My guess is that it would have been DEVASTATING had it existed in 1519 or 1719 than 2019.  It might have wiped out the entire human population.  

Latter seems unlikely since so many people as asymptomatic.

Yeah, this is a virus with a fatality rate of under 5% - well under, it seems like - and the variants seem to be gaining steam in spread but not really in fatality. The biggest threat hundreds of years ago would have been a breakdown of societal order as a result of the plague, but
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 302 303 304 [305] 306 307 308 309 310 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies