COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:58:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 260 261 262 [263] 264 265 266 267 268 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 553425 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6550 on: August 29, 2021, 12:59:39 PM »

I now have 4 people in my circle with covid and all of them were fully vaccinated. It’s extremely discouraging and worrying.

Sad
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #6551 on: August 29, 2021, 01:32:52 PM »

I now have 4 people in my circle with covid and all of them were fully vaccinated. It’s extremely discouraging and worrying.

Sad

Yeah, okay. The chances of catching it and becoming a carrier are pretty much guaranteed over time when you're vaccinated. But are they symptomatic, and more importantly, even moderately (bedridden) or severely (hospitalized) so?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6552 on: August 29, 2021, 01:34:13 PM »

Sad

Everyone is going to get COVID, if they're not symptomatic and more importantly not hospitalized, the vaccine is working.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6553 on: August 29, 2021, 01:57:34 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2021, 02:04:01 PM by The Trump Virus »

Sad

Everyone is going to get COVID, if they're not symptomatic and more importantly not hospitalized, the vaccine is working.

They’re all symptomatic. None have been hospitalized.

Symptoms ranging from fever, aches, headache, sore throat. Nothing major. But it’s still worrisome. Granted, I have a LOT of anxiety issues surrounding covid so pretty much anything is concerning to me lately.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6554 on: August 29, 2021, 04:21:34 PM »

Sad

They’re all symptomatic. None have been hospitalized.

Symptoms ranging from fever, aches, headache, sore throat. Nothing major. But it’s still worrisome. Granted, I have a LOT of anxiety issues surrounding covid so pretty much anything is concerning to me lately.

This is similar to the breakthrough cases among people I know.  Some of them have gotten sick equivalent to a bad cold or the flu, but nothing serious.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6555 on: August 29, 2021, 05:30:05 PM »

WSJ: EU Set to Recommend Halting Nonessential Travel From the U.S.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6556 on: August 29, 2021, 06:31:46 PM »

This is just embarrassing. They obviously have to do what's necessary to keep their people safe, so I don't fault them, but it's still humiliating for all the anti-vaxxers to be dragging us down. COVID is going to be the straw that broke the camel's back for US-EU relations.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6557 on: August 29, 2021, 07:36:51 PM »

This is just embarrassing. They obviously have to do what's necessary to keep their people safe, so I don't fault them, but it's still humiliating for all the anti-vaxxers to be dragging us down. COVID is going to be the straw that broke the camel's back for US-EU relations.

The US needs to mandate the vaccine and give stiff punishments for anyone refusing it.  It's the only way out of this.  It may cost Biden the election, but I see no other way to get us passed this.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6558 on: August 29, 2021, 10:37:03 PM »

And now children are being hit.
This is what the RINO Toms and Del Tacos of the World give you.
They are pro death, no way around it.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6559 on: August 29, 2021, 10:38:20 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2021, 10:43:27 PM by Del Tachi »

The U.S. is more vaccinated than many EU countries. 
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6560 on: August 30, 2021, 12:06:13 AM »

And now children are being hit.
This is what the RINO Toms and Del Tacos of the World give you.
They are pro death, no way around it.

I've called the GOP a death cult, but I'm not sure that's the best way to describe them. It's not that they actively want to ill people for the sake of killing people.  It's that they demonstrate complete and total disregard for the life, safety and welfare of anyone else; depraved neglect. The GOP will quite literally kill thousands rather than don mildly uncomfortable clothing in public indoor spaces or recognize their own cognitive dissonance.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6561 on: August 30, 2021, 02:44:22 AM »
« Edited: August 30, 2021, 03:56:27 AM by Vaccinated Russian Bear »

Previous Covid Prevents Delta Infection Better Than Pfizer Shot
eople who recovered from a bout of Covid-19 during one of the earlier waves of the pandemic appear to have a lower risk of contracting the delta variant than those who got two doses of the vaccine from Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE.

The largest real-world analysis comparing natural immunity -- gained from an earlier infection -- to the protection provided by one of the most potent vaccines currently in use showed that reinfections were much less common. The paper from researchers in Israel contrasts with earlier studies, which showed that immunizations offered better protection than an earlier infection, though those studies were not of the delta variant.

The results are good news for patients who already successfully battled Covid-19, but show the challenge of relying exclusively on immunizations to move past the pandemic. People given both doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine were almost six-fold more likely to contract a delta infection and seven-fold more likely to have symptomatic disease than those who recovered.

“This analysis demonstrated that natural immunity affords longer lasting and stronger protection against infection, symptomatic disease and hospitalization due to the delta variant,” the researchers said.

People given both doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine were almost six-fold more likely to contract a delta infection and seven-fold more likely to have symptomatic disease than those who recovered.

Anti-vaxxers, drinking de-wormers, are gonna be like: ooh ah, ooh ah, yeah, ooh ooh!

Disclaimer: it's a pre-print that hasn't been peer-reviewed yet.
The data was posted as a preprint article on medRxiv, and hasn’t yet been reviewed by other researchers.

Link to the study https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.24.21262415v1.full.pdf
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6562 on: August 30, 2021, 02:47:15 AM »

Yes I saw an anti vaxxer post that like it was some kind of knock against the vaccines.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #6563 on: August 30, 2021, 06:07:44 AM »
« Edited: August 30, 2021, 06:11:28 AM by tack50 »

The U.S. is more vaccinated than many EU countries. 

Let's fact check this. As of now, the EU has 64% of its full population vaccinated with one dose; and 56% fully vaccinated. The US has a very comparable 62% and 53% respectively; so just slightly behind.

So this is correct; although I will note that "many EU countries" refers here exclusively to Eastern European countries; since other than Austria (which is narrowly behind the US at 61%/52%) and Greece if you want to count them, every single Western European country has a better vaccination rate than the US (although in many cases the difference is barely significant)

For what is worth variation between EU countries is much higher than between US states although that is to be expected. Sadly not everyone can be Portugal (which has an insane 69% of the population fully vaccinated, 82% with one dose. That is equivalent to 94% and 82% of adults over 18)
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6564 on: August 30, 2021, 07:29:18 AM »

As WSJ article rightfully states the EU "ban" is based on soaring #s of cases, not on vaccination rate (even if it likely matters as well). USA (and UK) has 4 times more cases per capita than EU. Cases in US/UK keeps soaring, while they are stable/slowly declining in EU.

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Another reason is quite ironic:
Pressure to remove the U.S. from the travel list has also increased because Washington has maintained a ban on European nonessential travel to the U.S.
The EU decision, taken in June, to allow U.S. travelers to visit was one of a number of actions in Washington and Europe to reset relations after tensions under the Trump administration. It came shortly after President Biden visited Brussels to speak with EU leaders.
Murica is back!

As so often with Biden's corona politic, it's a theater. Ironically, he was against the bans, when it really mattered.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #6565 on: August 30, 2021, 11:25:52 AM »

Cross-posting from IGD:
A grim point to consider: there is very likely huge underreporting of COVID worldwide, especially in the more repressive regimes.

Start here.

I believe the Economist estimates are that between 7 and 13 million have actually died from COVID.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6566 on: August 30, 2021, 02:45:03 PM »

Mr Steele (no known relation to Christopher Steele of Steele Report fame), was also know for his accusations that NASA operates a Martian child slavery ring.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6567 on: August 30, 2021, 03:03:12 PM »

Mr Steele (no known relation to Christopher Steele of Steele Report fame), was also know for his accusations that NASA operates a Martian child slavery ring.

This is how a lot of children were killed by the Nazis in the Aktion-4 program. They let children rebel against wearing jackets or living properly and a lot of them died of pneumonia. The nazis literally let children die of their disabilities. Just like these folks.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #6568 on: August 30, 2021, 03:42:46 PM »

Nate Silver has been pretty chill lately about most COVID topics.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6569 on: August 31, 2021, 08:45:57 AM »

Thank you, Gov. Ronald DeathSantis.

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6570 on: August 31, 2021, 08:57:42 AM »

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6571 on: August 31, 2021, 10:00:14 AM »

Thank you, Gov. Ronald DeathSantis.

Down here in Florida, they're going to treat the drinking water with more bleach instead of the liquid oxygen process because of this shortage.

Tampa Bay Water changes water treatment process due to liquid oxygen shortage
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6572 on: August 31, 2021, 11:59:11 AM »

Just curious…

Any vaccinated people starting wearing masks again when going out?  Any choosing not to mask up?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6573 on: August 31, 2021, 12:31:38 PM »

Just curious…

Any vaccinated people starting wearing masks again when going out?  Any choosing not to mask up?

I've been vaccinated for months and never stopped wearing masks in public when indoors. Most people I would see stopped a few months ago but now when I go to the supermarkets I would say most people are wearing masks again.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #6574 on: August 31, 2021, 12:31:55 PM »

Just curious…

Haven't worn one since getting vaccinated in April (except maybe in a medical setting).
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 260 261 262 [263] 264 265 266 267 268 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies