COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:43:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 534470 times)
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 04, 2020, 09:47:45 AM »

Anthony Fauci says that we're screwed if, by September, we don't have cases down to 10,000 a day or less.

So that means we're screwed, because there's no reason to think cases won't continue to skyrocket.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 07:42:14 AM »

Daily COVID cases are down by almost half in the US from the peak of July despite some schools reopening

I don't believe the numbers ever since the White House took control of the data.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 04:11:58 PM »

There shouldn't be 55,000 actual daily infections in the community, Trump is such an idiot.

He's not an idiot, he knows exactly what he's doing. He's a genocidal maniac.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 07:42:11 PM »

President Trump told us to not let COVID dominate your life. Clearly this woman just didn't take his advice. /s

That's terrifying. I'm 20, and I could die just like that.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 06:51:00 PM »

how would the partisanship of the vaccines be if Trump had won a second term?

Probably even worse. He'd quit having to pretend to do anything about COVID. The fact that he came so close to re-election scares the hell out of me.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 02:44:41 PM »

My prediction is that there'll be another wave thanks to the deplorables refusing to get vaccinated. This one will be the worst one.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 05:57:09 PM »

My prediction is that there'll be another wave thanks to the deplorables refusing to get vaccinated. This one will be the worst one.

Not. My. Problem. Anymore.

I got both doses of Pfizer months ago, and if they issue new lockdowns and mask mandates, they're just going to have to cram it. What was the point of getting vaccinated if we can't go right back to normal life right away?

I'm also fully vaccinated with Pfizer, but if enough people continue to get the virus, we'll have a mutation that evades vaccines completely. Trumpers are going to let this happen just to own the libs.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 07:58:18 PM »

Trump needs to be imprisoned for genocide.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 06:31:46 PM »

This is just embarrassing. They obviously have to do what's necessary to keep their people safe, so I don't fault them, but it's still humiliating for all the anti-vaxxers to be dragging us down. COVID is going to be the straw that broke the camel's back for US-EU relations.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 05:04:39 AM »

It's official: 1 in 500 Americans has died of COVID.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 06:03:26 AM »

https://www.propublica.org/article/a-boy-went-to-a-covid-swamped-er-he-waited-for-hours-then-his-appendix-burst

An absolutely heartbreaking story. Fortunately the boy survived, but it's a reminder that anti-vaxxers are causing plenty of indirect deaths.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 06:37:14 AM »

It's getting very late in the game-vaccinated people who have done everything right need to be able to live normal lives. If one more month would save lives then sure, but this can't go on forever. Very soon, there is no alternative but to let it rip among the unvaccinated-if they die sorry but they should have taken more personal responsibility for their health.

Except then the virus will mutate into a form that is immune to all our vaccines. Plus the unvaccinated are filling up hospitals to the point that vaccinated people are indirectly dying from other things.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 07:03:52 AM »

If it mutates it mutates, that will happen regardless of how high cases are in the US and can't be used to guide policy for any one country.

Underrated point. The world needs a global policy towards COVID. This is, at present, totally lacking.

Viruses do not respect national borders, and even with extremely strong border restrictions it is difficult to impossible to totally restrict.

Just as it is absurd and ineffectual to have COVID policy set on a state/local level within the USA, it is absurd and ineffectual to have COVID policy set on the national level without international coordination and planning.

I'm not sure if the US has so many spare vaccines they can do boosters and get billions of people in developing countries vaccinated but boosters seem wasteful since the double jabbed are so well protected. It's different for the double jabbed who are still old or vulnerable and for children who are of course not jabbed and so coukd use protection against Covid.

We wouldn't need third doses, except that so many people refuse to get first doses and will endanger us all.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2021, 09:16:23 PM »

Honestly the fact that Fauci of all people inspires such reactions from the right shows how much of a Neanderthal party they have become

This. If not for the fact that he's become a key figure in the culture war, he seems about as inoffensive as you can get.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2022, 08:29:06 AM »

In my home state of Massachusetts, cases are skyrocketing. I fully expect a BA2 surge. This is going to devastate the country, and, worst of all, it'll help the Republicans in the midterms.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2022, 11:23:08 AM »

I think every county in Massachusetts is green on the CDC map.

Cases are creeping up again. There's going to be a surge.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2022, 03:14:41 PM »

I'm really hoping they open up fourth shots for all adults soon. That being said, it's rather ominous that so many vaccinated people are refusing to get a booster. We've only gotten 29% boosted, which is pathetic.

Also, do you guys think we should be using vaccination rates to predict the 2022 results? If so, Michigan's going to swing way to the right, its vaccination rate is well below the national average.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2022, 03:05:26 PM »

CDC mask mandate for travelers struck down by federal judge

A federal judge in Florida struck down on Monday the Biden administration's mask mandate for airplanes and other public transport methods.

US District Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle said the mandate was unlawful because it exceeded the statutory authority of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and because its implementation violated administrative law.

It is unclear clear how quickly the ruling will be implemented at airports or train stations across the country or if the Justice Department will attempt to block the ruling and file an appeal.

Just last week, the CDC extended this mask mandate through May 3. The masking requirement applied to airplanes, trains, and other forms of public transportation.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/18/politics/cdc-mask-mandate-ruling/index.html

This decision will kill people, it's as simple as that. No other country would stand for this. The USA is the worst country in the world.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2022, 06:33:12 AM »

The transportation mask mandate being lifted just pisses me off so much. I can't think straight.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2022, 05:40:01 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/06/politics/white-house-covid-fall-wave/index.html

The worst wave yet is coming, precisely because people have stopped caring.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2022, 05:44:43 PM »

Wow, a bunch of people will get colds. Big whoop.

COVID is not just a cold. The variant China's determined to snuff out is a new one, and it can evade the vaccine. Moreover, only 30% of Americans are boosted, and the virus will FEAST on them. We are doomed.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2022, 05:50:33 PM »

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/06/politics/white-house-covid-fall-wave/index.html

Does this never end?
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2022, 05:59:38 PM »

Seasonal viruses tend to do this. If you're scared get another booster and wear your mask.

COVID is not seasonal. Also, I can't get another booster, because fourth shots haven't been authorized for people my age (21.)
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2022, 06:02:08 PM »

Seasonal viruses tend to do this. If you're scared get another booster and wear your mask.

COVID is not seasonal. Also, I can't get another booster, because fourth shots haven't been authorized for people my age (21.)

You're 21 and worried about COVID? lol

Lots of people my age have died from it.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2022, 07:35:44 PM »

Moreover, only 30% of Americans are boosted, and the virus will FEAST on them.

On the ones who aren't boosted you mean?

Yes, that's what I mean.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies