Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 11:52:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63
Author Topic: Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness  (Read 131750 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: April 06, 2020, 11:11:02 AM »

B&W and Labour announce the union of factions in the house and possibly parties towards the next election. which basically means the death of Labour, though B&W acts classically like the old Labour so in a sense it lives on

Yeah, they're "starting talks" on this. If it really ends up as a complete merger of both parties, Labour is officially death.

Good riddance.

Genuinely once a great party, nonetheless. So in that sense it is still a bit sad.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1401 on: April 06, 2020, 12:33:07 PM »

B&W and Labour announce the union of factions in the house and possibly parties towards the next election. which basically means the death of Labour, though B&W acts classically like the old Labour so in a sense it lives on

Yeah, they're "starting talks" on this. If it really ends up as a complete merger of both parties, Labour is officially death.

Good riddance.

I can't think of any other so-called democratic country in which, straight after a general election, there are so many political parties that split up & elected politicians who change alliances & so many electoral promises broken, & all before a new government has even been formed! Politics in Israel stinks; it is so open to bribery & corruption, & every single one of the elected MK's seemingly has an agenda of their own & puts their own self-interests above those of the Israeli people. An utter embarrassment of the word 'democracy.'
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #1402 on: April 06, 2020, 12:40:17 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2020, 12:49:06 PM by jaymichaud »

Apparently coalition talks have gone tits up, again (Maybe for good this time?) Yamina are threatening to jump ship too.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1403 on: April 06, 2020, 12:56:47 PM »

Apparently coalition talks have gone tits up, again (Maybe for good this time?) Yamina are threatening to jump ship too.

The ride really does never end Smiley Smiley.Smiley
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1404 on: April 06, 2020, 02:35:23 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2020, 05:42:49 PM by jaymichaud »

So it was an "emergency government" yet negotiations broke down over.... the Jordan Valley and judges. Lmfao. Okay.

Hendel, Hauser and Levy’s careers are pretty much over too.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1405 on: April 06, 2020, 06:42:44 PM »

Hendel, Hauser and Levy’s careers are pretty much over too.

The only silver lining to a pitch-black cloud.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1406 on: April 06, 2020, 08:32:55 PM »

Omg.

Details?HuhHuhHuhHuh

Help me out here.

Also, this has to be the end of the road for Gantz if we end up at a 4th election fresh off of backstabbing all his allies.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1407 on: April 07, 2020, 12:59:49 AM »

I'd stay calm for now. It might just be negotiation shenaningas. But we're already in passover, so we need to wait a few more days now, which makes it all even dumber. By the time the government is founded (if it will at all- which at this point I hope it will, coronavirus is giving Netanyahu a crushing majority) the coronavirus crisis will be winding down.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1408 on: April 07, 2020, 02:14:27 AM »

Bibi has to look like he cares about the judicial appointees and Gantz about the annexation. I expect an announcement before the Seder
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1409 on: April 07, 2020, 04:46:19 AM »

Bibi has to look like he cares about the judicial appointees and Gantz about the annexation. I expect an announcement before the Seder

But Gantz is not even trying to justify his annexation come-down. He is simply saying that the social and judicial revolution is worth it. Only Bibi is having apparent second thoughts.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1410 on: April 07, 2020, 06:03:02 AM »

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/unity-talks-remain-frozen-today-blame-game-ensues/

Thank God the parties in my country aren’t behaving like this. Genuine crisis calls for working together, not politicians childishly making it about themselves and putting their personal agendas first.

How do Likud voters justify this?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1411 on: April 07, 2020, 06:10:42 AM »

Throughout his career, from throwing out Bennet, to flip flopping on the Elor Azaria murder incident, to refusing to let in shaked, to supporting annexations, to freezing the negotiations because of Yamina throwing a fit. Throughout his career, Netanyahu constantly showed how quick he sh**ts himself whenever the national religious parties try to outflank him from the right. Amazing how easy it is to pressure this man.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1412 on: April 07, 2020, 06:36:43 AM »

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/unity-talks-remain-frozen-today-blame-game-ensues/

Thank God the parties in my country aren’t behaving like this. Genuine crisis calls for working together, not politicians childishly making it about themselves and putting their personal agendas first.

They can "justify" literally anything.

(see also: supporters of several other right wing parties across the world)
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1413 on: April 07, 2020, 07:11:16 AM »

Well Likud voters are quite right, as no one really believes it’s a crisis government for Corona. The government yesterday amended the basic law for the budge with the support the opposition, so it’s not like the lack of government is causing any problem with managing the crisis.

Judicial appointments are important for those dim wits though
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1414 on: April 07, 2020, 10:00:33 AM »

"It's the other side's fault. They're not budging; it's not our fault that we can't find a solution." So, in the eyes of their voters, they're not doing anything wrong.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1415 on: April 07, 2020, 10:08:59 AM »

"It's the other side's fault. They're not budging; it's not our fault that we can't find a solution." So, in the eyes of their voters, they're not doing anything wrong.

Nah, it'll just be something about the judicial deep state running the country and it's more important than anything to combat them etc
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1416 on: April 08, 2020, 03:22:45 AM »

Poll from this morning had Likud on 42, the right bloc on 64 and Meretz on 7 with Labour below the threshold. Seems like a junk pollster to me
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1417 on: April 08, 2020, 04:01:38 AM »

Poll from this morning had Likud on 42, the right bloc on 64 and Meretz on 7 with Labour below the threshold. Seems like a junk pollster to me

Highly doubt this is true, but whatever.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1418 on: April 08, 2020, 05:29:34 AM »

Highly doubt this is true, but whatever.

People are rallying to the flag all over the world right now, so this is plausible. But in four or five months the economic impact of no tourism will really start to grind at Israeli families, Bibi will be well into his trial, and the impact of the US election will grow in focus. So I doubt the right wing will do this well.

On the other hand, there is now no unified opposition. No real credible PM candidate. How can Gantz become PM with 15 seats (20 less than Likud)? So while I doubt the religious right has enough voters in the country to get a majority, it is hard to see the left doing as well as the 62 seats they got in March. So who knows. I could see the Joint List actually being the largest opposition party, which would be hilarious but maybe not so great for forming a government.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1419 on: April 08, 2020, 06:01:36 AM »

Well that bit seems quite believable tbh.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1420 on: April 08, 2020, 06:58:34 AM »

Well that bit seems quite believable tbh.
Yes, but not in tandem with Meretz scoring 7 on their own
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #1421 on: April 08, 2020, 07:54:24 AM »

Will Meretz join the Joint List like they were supposed to in 2015?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1422 on: April 08, 2020, 01:58:44 PM »

It appears that Netanyahu and Gantz had a phone conversation today and wished each other a Happy Passover. Negotiations will resume later this week.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1423 on: April 08, 2020, 02:53:56 PM »

This seems incredibly unlikely, especially in the event where Labor dies off so Meretz can be the "Zionist left" all by itself.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1424 on: April 10, 2020, 04:05:16 AM »

I could see it. But if they are polling well above the threshold what's the point?
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies