Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:52:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63
Author Topic: Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness  (Read 130229 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1450 on: April 13, 2020, 11:08:02 AM »

Negotiations now appear to be dead and Gantz is speaking to the country in a few minutes as his mandate expires. Elections are likely in late July.
What if Coronavirus is still in effect for the election?
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #1451 on: April 13, 2020, 02:54:34 PM »

Negotiations now appear to be dead and Gantz is speaking to the country in a few minutes as his mandate expires. Elections are likely in late July.

!אאאאאאאאאאאאאא

This is unbelievable. It's peak entitlement from politicians to treat the whole country like a huge kindergarten playground. The worst thing is that at this point I'm not even sure they're doing this because of principles and ideological red lines they're unwilling to cross - they're just settling scores. I'm betting that not just Ben Gurion, but also Begin and Jabotinsky have begun turning in their graves.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1452 on: April 13, 2020, 03:20:03 PM »

I hope Gantz has the decency to retire and let Lapid lead the center-left in rhe next election. He has forfeited any credibility he had.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1453 on: April 13, 2020, 03:33:57 PM »

Gantz and Bibi meeting right now. Likely we’ll wake up to an announcement of government, or a joint request to extend the mandate. Neither wants the mandate back to the Knesset
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1454 on: April 13, 2020, 04:30:25 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2020, 04:34:52 PM by Hnv1 »

Joint request to extend the mandate. Yamina said they are out of the right wing bloc

Edit: mandate extended by 2 days. I think we might wake up to a government now that the bloc is dead
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1455 on: April 13, 2020, 05:02:54 PM »

Joint request to extend the mandate. Yamina said they are out of the right wing bloc

Edit: mandate extended by 2 days. I think we might wake up to a government now that the bloc is dead

If we do, it seems to me like Netanyahu tried to play chicken with Gantz and... Gantz won?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1456 on: April 13, 2020, 05:11:45 PM »

Yamina dropping out only increases the importance of Labor/Gantz in the new government. This is really remarkable.

OTOH, if Netanyahu is holding true to the 50/50 Cabinet position split between the left and right in the new government, Yamina being on the outs just increases the share of posts for Likud (and the Haredim, I guess)
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #1457 on: April 13, 2020, 05:16:39 PM »

Yamina are out? Messy!
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1458 on: April 13, 2020, 05:27:02 PM »

If we do, it seems to me like Netanyahu tried to play chicken with Gantz and... Gantz won?
No. Bennet understood he was screwed over, released the message while they were in the meeting and Bibi realized his bloc strategy is dead so he can’t go to a fourth election and conceded.
Gantz can’t tell the difference between a chicken and a lamb.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1459 on: April 13, 2020, 05:59:00 PM »

No. Bennet understood he was screwed over, released the message while they were in the meeting and Bibi realized his bloc strategy is dead so he can’t go to a fourth election and conceded.

Why would Bennet do this if we were going to an election though?
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #1460 on: April 13, 2020, 07:33:57 PM »

A poll for Channel 12, from Haaretz. Compared to the election results.

Likud 40 (+4)
Kahol Lavan* 19  (+4**)
Joint List 15 (±0)
Yesh Atid+Telem 10 (-8**)
Shas 9 (±0)
Yamina 8 (+2)
United Torah Judaism 7 (±0)
Yisrael Beiteinu 7 (±0)
Meretz 5 (+2)***
Labor, Gesher, Otzma not getting in.

Honest Right 64
Dishonest Right (YB, KL) 26
Centre, Left and Arabs 30

* This is just Gantz now, so does the KL brand technically still exist? I imagine Gantz wouldn't want to associate himself with the name, so he might contest the next election under the banner of his old party, Hosen L'Yisrael.

** In the election, KL won 33 seats - 15 for Gantz, 13 for Lapid and 5 for Ya'alon

*** The L-G-M alliance won 7 seats, 3 of which went to Meretz
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1461 on: April 14, 2020, 03:14:21 AM »

Why would Bennet do this if we were going to an election though?
Because we’re not going to a fourth round. Once he realized Bibi was serious he left the bloc
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1462 on: April 14, 2020, 03:18:04 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2020, 03:30:06 AM by jaymichaud »

Lol are Yamina now gonna wage a “War on corruption” like they said? Meme party if so
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1463 on: April 14, 2020, 06:26:36 AM »

I still expect the Supreme Court to disqualify Netanyahu as PM, and the main parties seem to tqke that very seriously as well, so we may be going to a fourth election no matter what happens with the blocs.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1464 on: April 14, 2020, 06:29:48 AM »

I still expect the Supreme Court to disqualify Netanyahu as PM, and the main parties seem to tqke that very seriously as well, so we may be going to a fourth election no matter what happens with the blocs.

I don’t see a reason for any party that’s not Likud, Shas and UTJ to be against this. If any politician isn’t then they deserve to go too tbh.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1465 on: April 14, 2020, 06:42:54 AM »

I don’t see a reason for any party that’s not Likud, Shas and UTJ to be against this. If any politician isn’t then they deserve to go too tbh.

Apparently the whole unity bid has been on ice over Netanyahu's concern that the Court will indeed disqualify him. They wanted Gantz to change the basic law to prevent that, Gantz said no, but they did get him to promise an automatic new election if Bagatz does go the way I think they will.

I am not actually entirely opposed to a unity deal if KL can squeeze Likud for key ministries (like Education) and especially if Yamina is kept out of the government. I suppose it comes down to whether you beleve that Netanyahu or the Israeli right is a graver threat to our political future. Bibi is bad, but the apocalyptic ideology of the religious right, driven by an insane ethno-supremacist religious movement, has always made my skin crawl more than anything. Bennet and Shaked are just upper class Ashkenazi Likudniks, so they aren't really all that bad. Like the Rubios of the American right. But the Smotrichs and religious settler leaders are absolutely terrifying. So stealing the government out of their hands and jolting it back to the left is really tempting, especially if Netanyahu will be ensured to face a judge for his alleged crimes.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1466 on: April 14, 2020, 08:32:14 AM »

No agreement reached. They have 5 hours tomorrow evening to close it
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1467 on: April 14, 2020, 09:21:19 AM »

Apparently the whole unity bid has been on ice over Netanyahu's concern that the Court will indeed disqualify him. They wanted Gantz to change the basic law to prevent that, Gantz said no, but they did get him to promise an automatic new election if Bagatz does go the way I think they will.

I am not actually entirely opposed to a unity deal if KL can squeeze Likud for key ministries (like Education) and especially if Yamina is kept out of the government. I suppose it comes down to whether you beleve that Netanyahu or the Israeli right is a graver threat to our political future. Bibi is bad, but the apocalyptic ideology of the religious right, driven by an insane ethno-supremacist religious movement, has always made my skin crawl more than anything. Bennet and Shaked are just upper class Ashkenazi Likudniks, so they aren't really all that bad. Like the Rubios of the American right. But the Smotrichs and religious settler leaders are absolutely terrifying. So stealing the government out of their hands and jolting it back to the left is really tempting, especially if Netanyahu will be ensured to face a judge for his alleged crimes.

Likud as a center-right/right wing conservative party? No. Likud as a corrupt, divisive, mafia-esque Fidesz lite? 100%.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1468 on: April 14, 2020, 09:31:39 AM »

Likud as a center-right/right wing conservative party? No. Likud as a corrupt, divisive, mafia-esque Fidesz lite? 100%.

Fair point.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1469 on: April 14, 2020, 09:33:36 AM »

Fair point.
And it's not as though Isreali politics in general is that dissimilar from Eastern Europe's either.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1470 on: April 14, 2020, 09:37:44 AM »

Fair point.
And it's not as though Isreali politics in general is that dissimilar from Eastern Europe's either.

I wouldn’t say that. Fidesz is pretty much a lost cause whereas Likud CAN be saved, I think. There’d just need to be a lot of purging and bit of punishment for their abuse of power 🤷🏽‍♂️
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #1471 on: April 14, 2020, 11:29:39 AM »

Is Shas running, hopefully they will return to their leftist roots but that's a pipedream.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1472 on: April 14, 2020, 12:02:29 PM »

Is Shas running, hopefully they will return to their leftist roots but that's a pipedream.

They’re still pretty populist on economics, it’s just that it’s only the right that’s selling anything they want to buy and on the other hand the left bloc are actively trying to scale back influence of the community they represent
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1473 on: April 14, 2020, 01:44:50 PM »

Shas has no leftist roots. Deri’i being moderate and then sitting with Labour to jog on government cash doesn’t put them to the left. Their voters are actually very to the right and wouldn’t take aligning with the left well.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1474 on: April 14, 2020, 02:39:51 PM »

This is a circus of cataclysmic proportions. It be more funny if the country involved did not have nuclear weapons.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies