Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:48:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness  (Read 130223 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: December 18, 2019, 01:59:22 PM »

Due to the infighting in the Democratic Camp and Meretz old guard threatening to pushShaffir and Golan back on the list - Shaffir rebranded her Green movements as the Green Party with the threat of running solo pushing both under the threshold

ffs
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 12:32:28 AM »

....what would either of them have to gain from this??
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 09:34:50 AM »

FPP is a terrible system, so the question isn't why some countries don't have it, but why some countries still do have it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 09:40:59 AM »

You mean Yair Netanya who?

*bad-dum-tss*
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 02:45:40 AM »

Hey folks, if Mortimer is still spamming this thread with his tripe, can you please report them? I can't because I have him on ignore (the new "hard" ignore where the posts are completely invisible) so I unfortunately can't help here, but this thread deserves better than his racist bullsh*t.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 11:53:46 PM »

Of course, in September Hendel and Hauser could have been told to go screw themselves and there would still have been enough votes for Gantz as long as Balad abstained. But alas.
But YB had cold feet

Keeping these two cretins on the KL list is entirely Gantz and Lapid's fault, though. They knew they were going to be a major obstacle to any future play by the anti-Bibi bloc, and they had a golden opportunity to remove them. Whether it was out of complacency, naivety, or just plain oversight, it's a glaring act of political malpractice and means that KL has only itself to blame if it fails now.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 08:28:46 PM »

As we wait for this debacle to unfold in its full glory, here are the charts I posted last time, updated with the new results.

Parties, % of valid votes:

Parties, % of eligible voters:

Blocs, % of eligible voters:
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 05:16:42 PM »

Unity government is happening. Expect news tomorrow night.

Temporary for Corona or long term? If long term, it begs the question of the immunity law, the hypothetical law barring indited people from govt, and what happens when Bibi ties to fight back in the future.
Temporary to become permanent. Yesh Attid and Telem might not join in.

So it's not an actual unity government but just the Bibi Bloc with Gantz thrown in? He'd be an utter cretin to accept, and any leftist who voted KL a fool.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 07:04:08 PM »

Unity government is happening. Expect news tomorrow night.

Temporary for Corona or long term? If long term, it begs the question of the immunity law, the hypothetical law barring indited people from govt, and what happens when Bibi ties to fight back in the future.
Temporary to become permanent. Yesh Attid and Telem might not join in.

So it's not an actual unity government but just the Bibi Bloc with Gantz thrown in? He'd be an utter cretin to accept, and any leftist who voted KL a fool.
Any leftist who voted KL is a fool regardless lmao

(Note that voting for KL itself is very different from simply wanting Gantz to be PM instead of Bibi)

A lot of people who normally support Labor or Meretz voted tactically KL in the last two elections to ensure it finished ahead of Likud. I wouldn't have done that myself but I understand the rationale.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 01:45:56 PM »

When is the vote scheduled?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 04:37:09 PM »

Should be Wednesday but it seems Bibi gave a green light to Edlstein to defy the court ruling. This is turning really ugly really fast

Can't the opposition MKs just ignore Edlstein and convene anyway?
Legally no...though you can appeal to the new house committee and they can schedule it to next Monday, but with Passover it will leave Gantz very short time frame to move with the bills he wants to push

"Legally"? If the Supreme Court has ordered the Knesset to convene, it makes no sense that the Knesset convening would be illegal. Whatever legal authority Edelstein used to have, he's clearly abdicated it by refusing to comply.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 03:10:36 PM »

Disgusting.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 08:11:29 PM »

Well, the one good thing that came out of this horrifying pantomime of depravity, corruption and fecklessness is that it finally made me come to my senses and put David on ignore. Can't believe how much time I wasted arguing with this creep.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 09:07:30 PM »

yes, I know, so much for the tolerant left blah blah blah. what a novel and insightful observation
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 03:31:20 AM »

Sa’ar has came out against appointing so many ministers- says the government shouldn’t be spending so much money during a crisis.

God willing, the members of Likud will eventually have the sense to elect Sa'ar to be their leader.

Having faith in the Israeli left to do the right thing is naivete. Having faith in the Israeli right to do the right thing is clinical insanity.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 06:42:44 PM »

Hendel, Hauser and Levy’s careers are pretty much over too.

The only silver lining to a pitch-black cloud.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 03:20:03 PM »

I hope Gantz has the decency to retire and let Lapid lead the center-left in rhe next election. He has forfeited any credibility he had.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 10:11:16 PM »

Maybe it's time for Israel to take a page from its neighbors and have a good old fashioned military coup. Or perhaps reestablish the Davidic monarchy.

I wasn't ready to say that even a month ago, but now I honestly wish the IDF would remove Netanyahu and act as a caretaker government until new elections can be organized.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2020, 11:48:09 PM »

Maybe it's time for Israel to take a page from its neighbors and have a good old fashioned military coup. Or perhaps reestablish the Davidic monarchy.

I wasn't ready to say that even a month ago, but now I honestly wish the IDF would remove Netanyahu and act as a caretaker government until new elections can be organized.

Having a secular coup in Turkey worked out so well.

I'll say it: the only problem with the coup against Erdogan is that it failed. Sue me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2020, 03:07:17 AM »

Having a secular coup in Turkey worked out so well.

I'll say it: the only problem with the coup against Erdogan is that it failed. Sue me.

The coup would not have resulted in a genuine democracy and would have to be semi-autroritarian. That maybe a positive over Erdogan but it could have also led to an Egypt style dictatorship.

And then I would have opposed such dictatorship. But it doesn't change the fact that Erdogan had to be removed. If that wasn't clear then, I sure would hope it's clear now.

(Also, the IDF's culture is nothing like that of the Turkish military, so if it did take power in a moment of extreme political crisis - which it won't, let's be real - I'm pretty confident they'd restore democracy as soon as possible.)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2020, 03:05:46 PM »

AM I reading correctly? Liberals actually saying and liking the idea of a military coup as an alternative to Netenyahu? As long as the democratic exercise of going to vote is free and fair there is absolutely no justification for the military to step in. Its an admission of institutional failure.

Netanyahu is still wielding considerable unaccountable power after losing three elections in a row and has shown eagerness to use unconstitutional means to stay in power. He is a clear and present danger to the survival of Israeli democracy in a way an army of conscripts, as Hnv pointed out, structurally couldn't be.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2020, 02:30:11 PM »

well this sucks
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length