Trump approval ratings thread 1.6
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:29:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump approval ratings thread 1.6
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 115
Author Topic: Trump approval ratings thread 1.6  (Read 169565 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1625 on: May 07, 2020, 07:45:43 AM »

Maybe some Republicans are encouraged by reopening?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1626 on: May 07, 2020, 07:50:17 AM »

More likely, weekly trackers like YouGov and Ipsos are noisy.

Gold star.  Usually when you see big fluctuations from week to week in these trackers, it's worth looking at the underlying samples.  In the YouGov polls, this week's party ID breakdown was D 35%, R 28%, I 37%, while last week's was 36/25/39.  This week's sample is less D and more R than last week, so it's not really surprising that this week is better for Trump.

Having said that, I wouldn't assume that all the movement is due to sample difference.  There does appear to be some improvement in Trump's approval across multiple polls.  So the combination of that increase plus the sample composition yields a big change in the YouGov poll.
How much could the samples reflect people moving to the right?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1627 on: May 07, 2020, 07:55:34 AM »

Gold star.  Usually when you see big fluctuations from week to week in these trackers, it's worth looking at the underlying samples.  In the YouGov polls, this week's party ID breakdown was D 35%, R 28%, I 37%, while last week's was 36/25/39.  This week's sample is less D and more R than last week, so it's not really surprising that this week is better for Trump.

Having said that, I wouldn't assume that all the movement is due to sample difference.  There does appear to be some improvement in Trump's approval across multiple polls.  So the combination of that increase plus the sample composition yields a big change in the YouGov poll.

Could be random selection and/or differential non-response (often seen after news affecting one side, usually temporary).  Could be some other factor, or any combination of these.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1628 on: May 07, 2020, 08:32:06 AM »

Could be random selection and/or differential non-response (often seen after news affecting one side, usually temporary).  Could be some other factor, or any combination of these.

My guess is that its the Reade fiasco. Luckily, the polls appear to confirm that the only people who believe her are people who want to and it still does look like Biden has a bigger threat to his left than to his right. Democrats downballot are still gaining. Like I said, maybe if Biden does turn out to be a dud and there is still a demand for change, Democrats can go the same route Republicans did in 1996 and tell voters that they are a check on Trump.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1629 on: May 07, 2020, 08:34:49 AM »

Could be random selection and/or differential non-response (often seen after news affecting one side, usually temporary).  Could be some other factor, or any combination of these.

My guess is that its the Reade fiasco. Luckily, the polls appear to confirm that the only people who believe her are people who want to and it still does look like Biden has a bigger threat to his left than to his right.

Not a bad guess. Last week was probably the worst week of coverage Biden got as the presumptive nominee. It also was one of the few stories that got similar coverage to Coronavirus.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1630 on: May 07, 2020, 09:44:15 AM »

No.

Navigator Survey tracking his approval back to 42/56, after being back up to 46/52 briefly two days ago.

https://navigatorresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Navigator-Daily-Tracker-Topline-F05.06.20.pdf
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1631 on: May 07, 2020, 10:33:38 AM »

The MSN tracker also has Trump down to 36/61:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/polls
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1632 on: May 07, 2020, 12:48:21 PM »

This is about in the Goldwater-versus LBJ range, which would be unprecedented in an election involving an incumbent President. I can see Trump as that blatant a failure as President, but I am too much of a partisan hack to fully trust my opinion on that. Note also that a poll that relies heavily upon on-line input by volunteers may under-count some potential voters, typically poor, white, and elderly, who do not have Internet access.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1633 on: May 07, 2020, 01:16:16 PM »

Massachusetts: UMass-Lowell, April 27-May 1, 1000 RV

Approve 32
Disapprove 68

Strongly approve 18
Strongly disapprove 56

In contrast, Gov. Baker's approval is 81/18 (strongly 45/7).

Biden 58, Trump 30
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1634 on: May 07, 2020, 01:26:28 PM »

His polling with women is starting to look abysmal and if that holds he's going to lose by a lot.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1635 on: May 07, 2020, 02:48:48 PM »

And now Trump is trying to appeal to Latino men to save his re-election chances.  Is he for real?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1636 on: May 07, 2020, 02:56:17 PM »

And now Trump is trying to appeal to Latino men to save his re-election chances.  Is he for real?
His appeal to minorities has always been "the economy is good and [insert racial group] unemployment is low so you should like me". I doubt that pitch works now with the economy in the toilet while the world is dealing with the pandemic. Further, I doubt anything he can say will be more meaningful to Latino voters than saying publicly "We love the DREAMers", the Congressional Democrats agreeing to a deal Trump said he wanted which involved protecting DREAMers, and then suddenly changing his mind and vetoing it once it got to his desk.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1637 on: May 07, 2020, 03:03:49 PM »

Nevada, Anzalone-Liszt (D)

I know some people will discount the numbers because of the survey’s provenance, but this is a very credible poll by someone who knows Nevada well. Nobody had better numbers in Nevada in 2018 than Anzalone when he polled for then-candidate Sisolak – he nailed the primary and general elections. I trust his numbers.

The demographics look solid: The party ID numbers are close to the actual registration figures, and the Hispanic number (14 percent) actually could be low in a presidential year here.

So let’s look at the results:

Sixty-four percent of voters have a positive reaction when asked how the governor “is doing responding to the coronavirus outbreak.” That includes 83 percent of Democrats, 57 percent of indies and – wait for it – 48 percent of Republicans. If you want evidence that the Sturm und Drang protesters are not the majority of the GOP, here it is.

Sisolak’s overall job performance rating on the pandemic: 64-34.

Compare those numbers responding to the coronavirus crisis to the president’s (46-53) and the mayor’s (28-61) – the latter’s are some of the worst I have seen for an elected official not embroiled in some kind of scandal. Perhaps her, ahem, erratic television performances have taken a toll and dented the family legacy.

The general job approval ratings for the three elected officials are not that different than their coronavirus response numbers:

–Sisolak: 64-32 Governor (D)

–Trump: 46-53 President (R)

–Goodman: 32-58 (mayor of Las Vegas)

For some perspective, right after the governor took office, the same pollster found Sisolak at 47-30; post-2019 session, Sisolak was at 58-28; and just before the pandemic hit, he was at 54-34.

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/poll-sisolak-looks-strong-despite-shutdown-biden-has-small-lead-over-trump
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1638 on: May 07, 2020, 03:08:50 PM »

Massachusetts: UMass-Lowell, April 27-May 1, 1000 RV

Approve 32
Disapprove 68

Strongly approve 18
Strongly disapprove 56

In contrast, Gov. Baker's approval is 81/18 (strongly 45/7).

Biden 58, Trump 30

Nevada, Anzalone-Liszt (D)

I know some people will discount the numbers because of the survey’s provenance, but this is a very credible poll by someone who knows Nevada well. Nobody had better numbers in Nevada in 2018 than Anzalone when he polled for then-candidate Sisolak – he nailed the primary and general elections. I trust his numbers.

The demographics look solid: The party ID numbers are close to the actual registration figures, and the Hispanic number (14 percent) actually could be low in a presidential year here.

So let’s look at the results:

Sixty-four percent of voters have a positive reaction when asked how the governor “is doing responding to the coronavirus outbreak.” That includes 83 percent of Democrats, 57 percent of indies and – wait for it – 48 percent of Republicans. If you want evidence that the Sturm und Drang protesters are not the majority of the GOP, here it is.

Sisolak’s overall job performance rating on the pandemic: 64-34.

Compare those numbers responding to the coronavirus crisis to the president’s (46-53) and the mayor’s (28-61) – the latter’s are some of the worst I have seen for an elected official not embroiled in some kind of scandal. Perhaps her, ahem, erratic television performances have taken a toll and dented the family legacy.

The general job approval ratings for the three elected officials are not that different than their coronavirus response numbers:

–Sisolak: 64-32 Governor (D)

–Trump: 46-53 President (R)

–Goodman: 32-58 (mayor of Las Vegas)

For some perspective, right after the governor took office, the same pollster found Sisolak at 47-30; post-2019 session, Sisolak was at 58-28; and just before the pandemic hit, he was at 54-34.

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/poll-sisolak-looks-strong-despite-shutdown-biden-has-small-lead-over-trump

Eighteen more electoral votes chime in, and not well for Trump. Even though the Nevada poll is by a pollster largely in the service of Democratic-leaning groups, it may understate how badly Trump is doing there. 53% disapproval in a State at this point? YOU LOSE!

Trump approval 50-54%
Trump approval positive but under 50%
ties are in white
Trump approval negative but disapproval under 50%
Trump disapproval 50-54%
Trump disapproval 55% or higher

[/quote]
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1639 on: May 07, 2020, 07:11:18 PM »

Even as a serial panicker, this does look like noise to me. Let's see how it changes if the Reade story loses its presence again amidst Trump continually, ubiquitously bungling his response to the pandemic. He just can't stop.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1640 on: May 07, 2020, 09:20:28 PM »

Democratic sweep as Ginsburg is getting closer to retirement in 2021. She will retire once Biden is sworn in
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1641 on: May 08, 2020, 05:17:44 AM »

ABC News/Ipsos - Trump's approval of the handling of the virus is still horrific at 42/57

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/reopening-country-greater-risk-americans-poll/story?id=70555060&cid=clicksource_4380645_2_heads_hero_live_headlines_hed
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1642 on: May 08, 2020, 06:47:53 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1643 on: May 08, 2020, 09:02:38 AM »

Trump isnt winning reelection unless he allows testing and open up businesses in the right way. It is ridiculous that Libraries and movies and salons are still closed.

Stadiums and sports and schools and bars should remain closed
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1644 on: May 08, 2020, 11:02:01 AM »

Trump isnt winning reelection unless he allows testing and open up businesses in the right way. It is ridiculous that Libraries and movies and salons are still closed.

Why would schools stay closed while movie theaters open? It makes no sense.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1645 on: May 08, 2020, 11:49:09 AM »

Due to fact some movie theaters are still open
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1646 on: May 08, 2020, 11:59:49 AM »

Little in this country ever does.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1647 on: May 08, 2020, 12:19:51 PM »

Becauset entitled people want their luxuries at the expense of everyone else's safety and health--that's all reopening the economy has ever been about.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1648 on: May 08, 2020, 02:47:15 PM »

There is no excuse why saloons are closed this long, there is no way you will catch a flu bug by doing someone's hair.  If that was the case, barbers would have died already. Nails and  Tattoos yes. Also, Libraries should be open, everyone dont have access to computers

Humans have already been given shots flu, menegites,pneumonia shots.  But if they are concerned about homelessness
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1649 on: May 08, 2020, 02:47:45 PM »

There is no excuse why saloons are closed this long, there is no way you will catch a flu bug by doing someone's hair.  If that was the case, barbers would have died already. Nails and  Tattoos yes. Also, Libraries should be open, everyone dont have access to computers

lmao
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 115  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies