Out to Pasture (2020 Election Game) Gameplay Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:01:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Out to Pasture (2020 Election Game) Gameplay Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31
Author Topic: Out to Pasture (2020 Election Game) Gameplay Thread  (Read 31724 times)
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -3.44

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2020, 05:30:49 PM »

FOUNDATION
Abrams 2020 Ad aired in Iowa and South Carolina

The camera opens on a sandy beach with birds flying overhead, then the camera flashes to train tracks, and then a picture of a small town appears. Pictures and videos flash of Stacey’s family...

Stacey Abrams (narrating): I come from a solid foundation, built by a librarian mother and a shipyard worker father who became a United Methodist minister. They never let a lack of material possessions or the wrong zip code keep their children from dreaming. They taught us that our community struggles are shared struggles. They taught us to love learning, to seek a broader world, to never forget where we came from. I’m Stacey Abrams, I’m the product of Robert and Carolyn Abrams. They raised my sisters and brothers and me with the values of faith, family, service, and responsibility. I was born in Mississippi, grew up in Georgia. Where the red clay beneath our feet has been the foundation for what is possible for a generation of Georgians and Americans. Along the way, I’ve lived a real life. I’ve had real struggles. I’ve dealt with student loans and sick parents and tough choices. Those experiences made me a better lawmaker in the State House.

Shots of Stacey on the State House floor making speeches, monitoring votes, etc.

Stacey (still narrating): Made me more determined when my colleagues elected me to be their leader and they are why I am the best candidate for President of the United States of America. What I believe is simple: we’re all better off when Americans are able to keep more of their hard-earned money in their pocket. When all have access to affordable healthcare, excellent public schools, and the opportunity to prosper. No matter their debt, their income bracket, or zip code. Those farmers in Texas, teachers in South Carolina, engineers in Iowa are seen and heard and have a voice.

Shots of Stacey campaigning, going door to door, meeting with volunteers appear on the screen

Stacey: Our people-powered campaign is going to every corner of this great country with bold, ambitious plans to deliver results for ALL Americans. I’m ready to build a stronger United States. Where no one is unseen, no one is unheard, and everyone has the freedom and opportunity to thrive. Now let’s get it done…

I’m Stacey Abrams and I approve this message.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2020, 05:48:03 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2020, 07:13:25 PM by SouthCarolinaAaron »

NEW ABRAMS ENDORSEMENT

Stacey Abrams revealed a new endorsement today...

Today I'm incredibly happy to have received the endorsement of the recently elected Chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus, Congresswoman Karen Bass of California's 37th District. She was awarded the John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award in 2010 after her leadership in California after the Great Recession, as the Speaker of the California State Assembly. I'm proud to haver her on Team Abrams. Only together, we will win.

Rep. Bass issued the following statement after she announced her endorsement of Abrams...

Stacey and I have been friends for many, many years. Both of us served in our respective state legislatures for many years. I know that Stacey is fully equipped to serve ALL Americans in the White House. Earlier this year, I was given the honor by my colleagues to serve as the Chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus. I hope I speak for all of the CBC members when I say that Stacey Abrams is the best candidate for President of the United States

Image from the Wikimedia Commons
loganzombieoftime
Rookie
United States

« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2020, 06:23:30 PM »

Alex Jones Town Hall Answers
marketwatch.com

1) Many of you have very strong views on the President's tax cuts, which recently passed the Senate 53-47, with six of you even voting on it (all against). Would each of you care to once again clarify your position on the issue, and would the Senators explain the reasoning behind their votes?

Taxes, especially federal income taxes, are very bad and are enforced through dishonest methods. I support cutting taxes, but we should go further. The IRS should be abolished and we should replace the federal income tax with a consumption tax. There is already a bill for this in Congress with 33 co-sponsors. I want to make it law. If I was in Congress, I would vote for the President's tax cuts but only because it is better than no changes.

2) Healthcare is the #1 issue Americans are concerned about this election cycle. How would each of you format healthcare under your administration?

Health insurance companies are run by bad people who will scam you and hurt you just to make money. At the same time, government involvement in healthcare has proved to be disastrous. The flouride in your own drinking water has made you dumber and these mandatory vaccines have caused a whole bunch of problems. We should not be forced to choose between these options. We need fundamental and systematic reform of the healthcare industry. First of all we need the government to stop creating diseases and hurting the American people. Then we are going to change the way private healthcare works, putting lives over money and health over power. That will reduce costs and create a healthy America all while keeping the markets free.

3) Climatologists now say we have little more than a decade to roll back our global greenhouse gas input before disastrous irreversibility strikes. Do you agree with this assessment? If so, how would you move to lessen this nation's carbon footprint? If not, why do you believe it not to be the case?

They did all this "research" 20 years ago and said we would be dead by now. That was all lies and it is still all lies. The reality is that the earth is going through warming and cooling periods just like normal. Many areas of the country are actually having a cooler than average year. Most scientists are liberal globalist Democrats, so it's no wonder that they want to shut down American industry because of so called climate change. We need more industry, more jobs, not less. We need to finish the job Trump started and abolish the EPA and get the government out of this fake science.

Mr. Jones:

You have attacked what you have called the "globalist social media companies" for attempting to "censor" you because of your views. What with the recent talk on the left of such a proposal, do you believe we should break up big tech companies like Google, Facebook, and Twitter?

Well it's true they are trying to censor me. I have been banned from many social media sites for daring to call out the corrupt nature of these companies. My supports have also been banned for calling them out on it. Breaking up big tech companies is the first step, but there is much more to be done. After all, 100 small corrupt tech companies is no better than a few large ones. We need to reform these companies by enforcing free speech and increasing transparency so we can really see what is going on when they decide to ban conservative voices like myself.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 0.52

« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2020, 08:36:30 PM »

(All images below are from Wikimedia Commons)

Election Update 2020
with your hosts, Wolf Blitzer and John King

Blitzer: Good evening. I'm Wolf Blitzer.

King: And I'm John King. And this is your election update.

Blitzer: And this week marked by a bitter Twitter feud between the President and Senators Paul and Portman over the Senators' "no" votes on the President's tax cuts, which would go on to barely fail in the House. The President immediately blamed billionaire megadonor Tom Steyer, who's running this cycle, for threatening to fund primary challengers to Democrats who broke ranks. Steyer categorically denied these allegations as "rumors." Also, many candidates participating in CNN's own Commander-in-Chief Town Hall.

King: Many other news stories, as well, which you can check up on at cnn.com.

Blitzer: Numerous endorsements also flying, with almost all candidates receiving at least one.

Blitzer: That said, tonight we have a very special guest, Senator Kirsten Gillibrand. Senator, glad to have you on here.

Gillibrand: I'm good, Wolf. How are you?

Blitzer: I'm well, thank you, Senator. Now, you’ve already received the endorsement of progressive firebrand Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. While many agree this will help you with the progressive base in the primary, do you believe it could cause trouble in the general election?

Gillibrand: Well, first, thank you for having me on. I'm so happy to be running for President to represent those who have been left behind by President Pence and the GOP. Now, onto the question. No, I do not believe that the endorsement of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez will harm me in the General Election. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez represents Lower Class, and Middle Class citizens from the Bronx, and the Bronx shares many different problems that the rest of America faces. Poverty, Crime, Loss of Opportunity, The rising cost of Healthcare, things like that. I have always fought for these type of people in the House, as well as the Senate. Me and Alexandria have no doubt in our minds that the American People believe in our message, that Brave Will Win.

Blitzer: A bold strategy from a candidate striving to be the first female President of the United States. Now, many of your fellows on the left wing of the Democratic Party have been quick to point out your old views on issues such as gun control, and have labelled you as an opportunist because of them. How do you respond to the criticisms?

Gillibrand: Well, I'm not an opportunist. When I was living in Upstate New York, I really didn't see much violence in my community. It wasn't really a question on if students could go to school, without the threat of a school shooting, or walking down the street without being harassed. When I moved down to New York City, while serving in the Senate, I saw first hand what Gun Violence can cause. Thousands of African American, and Latino Americans have experienced first hand. Our communities are being destroyed because the Republican Party have failed to take action on Gun Violence, and our people are suffering. They're suffering. That is why I changed my position on Gun Violence, because we have a lot of problems, we do. Gun Violence will be dealt with appropriately under my Administration. No person will have to worry whether or not this is the day that they get that call from their kid's school, that the unthinkable has happened.

Blitzer: As former Speaker Boehner put it on marijuana, your thinking has evolved. Now, as you're seen as one of the major contenders for the nomination, what would your first 100 days be like?

Gillibrand: In my first 100 days, you'll see a lot, trust me. We'll take steps towards dealing with a Fair Tax Plan for all Americans, an Infrastructure Plan that rebuilds our Highways, Airports, Trains, etc. You'll also see me present my plan to Congress on how to take on Gun Violence first hand, and a comprehensive Healthcare Plan. Nobody, under my administration will have to worry about what the President is doing, instead, you can focus on your children and your careers. This is what it should be like. We shouldn't have to worry every day when we wake up what the President did overnight. Did he cut taxes again for the wealthy? Did he attempt to take away Healthcare from millions of Americans? I will not let it happen, trust me.

Blitzer: An America without a President dominating the news every day, what ever shall we do? Now, before you go, Senator, if you could say one thing to the American people tonight, what would it be?

Gillibrand: One thing I could say? Well, let me say this. I know you may not know my name off the top of your head, but I hope you know my work. I've fought for Human Rights, Healthcare Reform, Tax Reform, and the issues that so many of you hold dear. I've been a Representative, and a Senator, and now, I want to become your President. I want to serve you in the Executive Branch, and I hope that you give me that honor. Nothing has ever been more important to me, than the well being of the American People. I will never stop the fight to tell the GOP that no, they cannot take away Healthcare from millions of Americans. No, they cannot take away Gun Control Protections that keep millions of our families and children safe. No, they cannot take away the Right to Choose of a Woman. They simply cannot. We have to have a President that will acknowledge there is things wrong in this country. Not everything will always be perfect, but we can strive for better. I will never let you down. I will never stop fighting for you. I will be a President for all Americans, every step of the way. I ask you all to go to kirstengillibrand.com and look at what I stand for, and how we can transform this country. Let's be Brave, together. Thank you.

Blitzer: Senator Gillibrand, always a pleasure to have you on.

Gillibrand: And to be here, as well, Wolf.

Blitzer: And that will be all for tonight. Tune in on Thursday for our interview with billionaire activist Tom Steyer.

Blitzer: Until then, I'm Wolf Blitzer.

King: And I'm John King.

Both: And this has been your Election Update.
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2020, 08:54:01 PM »

Tammy Baldwin Town Hall Answers

1) Many of you have very strong views on the President's tax cuts, which recently passed the Senate 53-47, with six of you even voting on it (all against). Would each of you care to once again clarify your position on the issue, and would the Senators explain the reasoning behind their votes?

These cuts are meant to be a signal to wealthy donors and corporations that the GOP is on your side. The middle class is largely overlooked yet again by a Republican tax cut, and they have proven that the majority of Republicans do not care about balancing a budget as long as they hold the Presidency. The way to give everyday Americans a real improvement in quality life is expanding access to healthcare through Medicare for All, by busting up monopolies that keep costs high and wages low, and guaranteeing workers spots on their company’s corporate boards, not by cutting taxes to the wealthy.

2) Healthcare is the #1 issue Americans are concerned about this election cycle. How would each of you format healthcare under your administration?

I’ve been in favor of Medicare for All since I was in the Wisconsin state legislature, and as President, I would lead transition to single payer health insurance. We can not continue to allow people to die because they can’t afford healthcare or to go broke in order to pay for life saving medication. Under my plan, we would have a transition with a public option, as the ACA originally was intended to have, with single payer by the end of my first term.

3) Climatologists now say we have little more than a decade to roll back our global greenhouse gas input before disastrous irreversibility strikes. Do you agree with this assessment? If so, how would you move to lessen this nation's carbon footprint? If not, why do you believe it not to be the case?

You don’t have to be a scientist to see that our climate has changed and is changing. We need an aggressive strategy to combat the impact of climate change and prevent irreversible damage to our planet. That’s why I have signed on to the green new deal, and have committed to expanding our energy portfolio so we can get to a carbon neutral reality.

Senator Baldwin:

You are the only member of the LGBTQ+ community on this stage tonight. President Pence has been accused repeatedly of intense homophobia and encouragement of discrimination against LGBT individuals. Did his ascendance to the Presidency have any bearing on your decision to run?

I would be lying if I said the extremism of this administration wasn’t part of the inspiration for my getting into this race. But, the truth is, this is bigger than just the President. This is the fact that LGBTQ people live in a patchwork America, where our rights vary greatly depending on what state we live in. I hear from members of my community daily about their fears of losing their job, their residence, or their safety due to the codified bigotry we are subjected to. We must commit to the Equality Act, and push for federal protections, as well as international ones.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.48

P P P
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2020, 10:58:12 PM »

Gillibrand Releases Plan for Infrastructure
Photo made by myself

Smarter:
Kirsten will set National Goals for a Transportation Network that will connect people to jobs, increase equity, and more. She'll create the first-ever national map that traces all road, rail, transit, air, and freight routes, to identity where obstacles exist, and where we need to fix them. She'll work with both the Public and Private Sector to rebuild our transportation systems, and invest back into the system, while creating more jobs.
Faster:
Kirsten will repair over 240,000 miles of roads, and over 15,000 bridges by 2025. She'll also open up an Infrastructure Lockbox, and introduce a Carbon Tax to help fund Major Repair and Creation Projects. She'll work to create millions of jobs repairing our far too long neglected infrastructure. She'll also invest $1 billion a year for Emergency Repairs as well as Potholes and other Surface Problems. Kirsten will also triple the Government's annual investment into the Public Transportation System, and create thousands of new jobs along the way.
Safer:
Kirsten will save over 20,000 lives by 2025 by creating the first ever National Safety Plan for all Americans. She'll also address the Top 100 Cities with the worst Water Infrastructure, and declare a National Emergency on our Water Infrastructure System. She'll also increase the EPA's Clean Water State Revolving Fund and the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund to $6.5 billion annually to ensure proper protection of our Water.
Greener:
Kirsten will create a Climate Resilience Finance Corporation will $90 billion annually in treasury credit authority to provide loans, and grants to cities and state, as well as the Private Sector, to build and upgrade the Transportation, and Grid Infrastructure across the country. Kirsten will also modernize our nation's power grid to fit the 21st century and build a greener future. She'll also provide funding to transition to pollution-free electric vehicles and implement standards to build a pollution-free transportation system running on clean energy. She'll also launch a  Zero-Emissions Trucks and Buses Hubs Program in 10 to 15 big metro areas to bring ports, shippers, and other private and public operators of trucks and buses together with manufacturers to jump-start electrification of ports and freight hubs.
adamevans
United States

« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2020, 11:32:08 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2020, 02:32:36 AM by Barron »

https://flic.kr/p/D8ni9z

Barack Obama confirms rumors, endorses Cory Booker for President

"I've known Cory for a good while. I remember him when he was a superstar mayor that defeated the city's political establishment. I remember him when he championed affordable housing and increased the city's population for the first time in 60 years. He understands these systemic injustices in our economy because he's lived them, and he's ready to take on the Pence swamp like he took on the swamp in Newark. So yes, I'm endorsing my man Cory. He fundamentally understands these problems, and he's building a movement of people to build our country around the vision and principles that Martin Luther King Jr. half a century ago: economic justice, social justice, racial justice and environmental justice. He's the leader the Democratic Party needs, not just to defeat Donald Trump but, to bring about transformative change that truly gives everyone fair access to justice and opportunity. That's Cory Booker, and he's got the credentials, the experience, the leadership, the charisma to make it happen."
RGM2609
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2020, 02:52:50 AM »

Pence Administration proposed massive infrastructure package

In a press briefing from the White House, President Mike Pence presented an infrastructure package costing about 550 billion dollars. "This package is crucial to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure and develop new, very-needed projects" President Mike Pence said. The money will be split like this:

- 225 billion dollars in additional federal incentive grants for state and local projects
- 113 billion dollars specially dedicated to rural infrastructure projects that are commercially viable but posses unique technical or risk characteristics that could deter private investment
- 45 billion dollars specially dedicated to fund and provide technical assistance for bold, innovative and  transformative projects that are capable of generating revenue, provide net public benefits and have a significant positive impact on the life of a community
- 45 billion dollars to expand existing credit programs who address a broader range of infrastructure needs as they give state and local governments increased opportunity to finance large-scale infrastructure projects under terms that are more advantageous than in the financial market
- 23 billion dollars to finance real-estate acquisition for the federal government

Mike Pence: "I hope Congress passes this badly needed package and help so many communities across the country. That is of course if no billionaires try to buy US Representatives again"
RGM2609
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2020, 03:36:40 AM »
« Edited: January 29, 2020, 03:40:43 AM by RGM2609 »

President Pence: "It is time to start draining the swamp"

In the same press briefing, President Pence launched in a fiery assault on "the swamp" and mostly specifically the events that led to the failure of the tax reform bill. "On another point, infrastructure aside, I have decided to launch a sweeping, sweeping government ethics reform package that I hope will help us fight the DC swamp that has taken over our institutions. The latest example of that: the tax reform bill, great for many, many Americans, would have allowed people to make their dreams and ambitions come true and give a big boost to the economy. It was killed because this Koch of the Democratic Party threatened Representatives into voting against. It is a sad reality that this fraud has more influence over our elected Representatives than their constituents, who mostly wanted the bill to pass. It is so sad and so telling about the swamp and its strength over the people. Well I say: no more."

The actual policies that President Pence enacted or announced during this conference are:
- A 5 year-ban on Pence White House officials from lobbying the government, not just the agency they worked for like under Trump, with no waivers allowed (EO)
- A lifetime ban on Pence White House officials from lobbying on behalf of foreign governments, with strong penalties and no waivers allowed (EO)
- A 5 year-ban on former members of Congress and their staff from lobbying the government, with no waivers allowed (law proposal)
- Change the definition of lobbyist to "Persons who focus on helping clients navigate Washington politics and on shaping federal policies" so it includes the false "consultants" and "advisors" who would otherwise be excluded from all the regulations (law proposal)
- Prevent all foreign money from influencing elections by placing a lifetime ban on foreign lobby raising money for US elections and close up all the loopholes allowing people to donate through shell companies and political non-profits (law proposal)
- Order the Justice Department to "Very strictly enforce all laws regarding lobbying" (EO)
- Amend the Constitution in order to impose term limits on members of Congress: 6 terms for US Representatives and 2 terms for US Senators (Constitutional amendment proposal)
- Order the Justice Department and the Administration to fight for overturning Citizens United v FEC as for any campaign finance reform to be able to be enacted (EO)

Mike Pence: "It is time to Drain the Swamp and make DC work for the people not for lobbyists or corrupt billionaires"
RGM2609
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2020, 04:07:44 AM »

Mike Pence @presidentpence

And here I was thinking the Democrats are the party of the people while the Republicans of the 1%! LIES! The Republicans proposed relief for the low and middle class and close loopholes for special interests and the Dems opposed it, killing it! Did it have anything to do with closing down the carried interest loophole and other scams from which the Democratic Koch surely benefited and benefits? The Republicans are the party of the working people, it's official now!
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2020, 10:47:33 AM »
« Edited: January 29, 2020, 11:07:02 AM by SouthCarolinaAaron »

Stacey Abrams @StaceyAbrams

I'm happy to see the President and others in his party start to come around on Citizens United. But I've got to ask him, where was he in 2010? I'll tell you where he was in 2010. When President Pence was Congressman Pence, he issued a statement right after the Citizens United SCOTUS decision, praising the court. In that statement, he said "Freedom won today in the Supreme Court. Today's ruling in the Citizens United case takes us one step closer to the Founding Fathers' vision of free speech, a vision that is cherished by all Americans and one Congress has a responsibility to protect."

We need a consistent President...

#Abrams2020
RGM2609
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2020, 11:21:10 AM »

Mike Pence @presidentpence

In 2010 I had a different view on the matter. I used to think that the principle of the decision (Which is constitutionally correct) is ultimately more important than the downsides of making it easier to influence the political system. However the last few years of dealing with the swamp it created (DEM KOCH among many others) convinced that we need to change it or Washington will never serve the people, but special interests.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2020, 12:09:45 PM »

ABRAMS SCHEDULE PART 3

April: South Carolina
April 1st: Begin 46 county tour in Hilton Head Island (Beaufort County)
April 2nd: Rally in Ridgeland (Jasper County) and Walterboro (Colleton)
April 3rd: Rallies in Charleston (Charleston County) and Ridgeville (Dorchester)
April 4th: Rallies in Moncks Corner (Berkeley County) and Orangeburg (Orangeburg County)
April 5th: Rallies in Saint Matthews (Calhoun) and Summerton (Clarendon)
April 6th: Rallies in Kingstree (Williamsburg) and Murrells Inlet (Georgetown)
April 7th: Rallies in Myrtle Beach (Horry) and Marion (Marion County)
April 8th: Rallies in Dillon (Dillon County) and Florence (Florence County)
April 9-11: Break from campaigning in Darlington, SC
April 12th: Rallies in Darlington (Darlington County) and Bennettsville (Marlboro County)
April 13th: Rallies in Cheraw (Chesterfield) and Bishopville (Lee)
April 14th: Rallies in Sumter (Sumter County) and Columbia (Richland)
April 15th: Barnstom all over Columbia with President Carter
April 16th: Rallies in Camden (Kershaw) and Lancaster (Lancaster County)
April 17th: Rallies in Rock Hill (York) and Chester (Chester County)
April 18th: Rallies in Winnsboro (Fairfield) and Lexington (Lexington County)
April 19th: Rallies in Aiken (Aiken County) and Bamberg (Bamberg County)
April 20th: Rallies in Hampton (Hampton County), Fairfax (Allendale), and Barnwell (Barnwell County)
April 21st: Rallies in Gafney (Cherokee), Union (Union County), and Newberry (Newberry County)
April 22nd: Rallies in Saluda (Saluda County) and Edgefield (Edgefield County)
April 23rd: Rallies in Spartanburg (Spartanburg County) and Clinton (Laurens)
April 24th: Rallies in Greenwood (Greenwood County) and Clarks Hill (McCormick
April 25th: Rally in Greenville (Greenville County)
April 26th: Rally in Pickens (Pickens County)
April 27th: Rally in Seneca (Oconee)
April 28th: Rally in Anderson (Anderson County)
April 29th: Rally in Abbeville (Abbeville County)
April 30th: Closing Rally in Columbia with President Carter

May: Iowa
May 1st: Meet with a group of Iowa women running for the state legislature
May 9th: Accept endorsement of Congresswoman Karen Bass
May 13th: Tour of Western Iowa, speaking with political leaders about how to deliver Iowa’s 6 electoral votes to the Dems in 2020
May 20th: Open office in Dubuque
May 25th: Give commencement speech at Iowa State University
May 27th: Visit with military families on Memorial Day
May 28th: Barnstorm local restaurants and stores in Council Bluffs with Rep. Bass and President Carter.

June: Nevada
June 4th: Meet with Las Vegas Democratic Party leaders
June 5th-8th: Barnstorm Southern Nevada with Surrogates
June 16th: Joint Rally with Rep. Bass in Reno

June-July: South Carolina
June 21st: Briefly return to South Carolina for the annual Clyburn Fish Fry
June 22nd: Speak at the South Carolina Democratic Convention
June 26th: Speech in Columbia
July 4th: Barnstorm Charleston area with President Carter
July 10th: Barnstorm Columbia with President Carter
July 16th: Rally in Columbia
July 23rd: Rally in Mount Pleasant
July 27th-29th: Take a break with family in Charleston

August: Iowa
August 2nd: Rally in Des Moines
August 5th: Barnstorm Des Moines with President Carter
August 9th: Women’s Rights roundtable in Dubuque
August 14th-21st: Tour of Eastern Iowa

September: South Carolina
September 9th: Give a speech to students at Springfield Elementary School in Charleston about the importance of education, followed by a reading of a children’s book in the Kindergarten classrooms
September 15th: Meet with Charleston teachers
September 19th: Barnstorm Rock Hill with President Carter
September 21st: Meet with Union Leaders in Columbia
September 28th: Rally in Columbia

October: Iowa
October 3rd-9th: Tour Western Iowa, visit several counties there
October 12th-15th: Tour areas that voted Obama in 2012 and switched to Trump in 2016
October 21st-27th: Speeches in Eastern Iowa, barnstorming the area with President Carter
October 29th: Return home to Georgia for halloween
RGM2609
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2020, 12:26:18 PM »

June 2019 - Mike Pence keeps focus on Iowa but also visits some big eastern states

Mike Pence bets everything on Iowa in this election, with him dropping out if he loses the state being an open secret. Governor Kim Reynolds was a massive help for him, as well as strong support from the religious Iowans according to the polls, but he doesn't take anything for granted. He spent 2 weeks in June canvassing through the state, promoting his proposals in office which he claims are common sense but suggesting a more conservative route in the second term, especially with regards to immigration, health care and education. Pence's Iowa strategy is winning big numbers in the religious parts of Iowa, which is why he is visiting even the smallest communities there, while pulling a decent performance in the rest of the state. His strategists think this would cause a landslide for Mike Pence, due to the divided field. Whether they are right remains to be seen.

However, in the following two weeks, the President focused his attention on 3 big states: Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York. He visited PA and NY and tried to appeal to the blue collar workers by repeating Trump's 2016 rhetoric, in a way drawing himself close to Portman, while also touting his own credentials that made him qualified for the job. He paid special attention to areas with infrastructure problems and promised that his package will solve them. A surprising choice of focus was Ohio, Rob Portman's home state. Pence's strategists think that it is possible for him to drop out by Ohio or be so weakened that he's no longer considered a viable choice, as such a huge state would open up, and they want to be ready. They poured money into organisation in all 3 states, and think they will be crucial for President Mike Pence's victory.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2020, 01:47:30 PM »

Rob Portman town hall excerpt

Manchester NH - April 19th 2019

Special attendance by Ohio Gov. John Kasich

(Time)

Portman: You, right there.

Middle aged man in a flannel: Me?

Portman: Yeah, stand up!

Man: Senator Portman, during the 2016 campaign, we were promised a wall and a comprehensive solution to the massive solution to the crisis at the border. Three years later there is still no wall, and the crisis at the border is still ongoing. What will you do that Trump couldn't?

Portman: That's a really good question. The Trump administration promised a whole lot on the border and nothing has ever happened. The reality is that what he promised was mostly ear candy and it isn't a sustainable solution. We need a border at the barrier but the wall was, unfortunately, overboard and it had to be funded by a lot of funds that we simply don't have. It would have put us into more debt and I refuse to be fiscally responsible. We should instead put a high tech security barrier and build a fence, which already exists in a few areas, and expand it across the whole length of the border. This does exactly what the wall would do but it's more fiscally responsible. Thus, we will have greater cooperation from congress and actually get done what Trump couldn't.

Man: That addresses my question, thank you.

Portman: You.

Teenage girl: Hi, your positions on police violence and black lives matter aren't very well known. This is an important issue to me and my friends, so could you please state your position?

Portman: Absolutely. Our police officers, who are trying their best to uphold the law in our country, are being labelled for the mistakes of a select few officers. I don't believe that there is a reason for race relations to be as heated as they are right now, and I certainly don't think that any group, our policemen or Black Lives Matter, should have their vocal rights be infringed upon. Both sides have their points.
RGM2609
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2020, 02:13:33 PM »

Mike Pence's strategy to pass the infrastructure package

The Pence Administration is desperate to avoid another defeat like the one suffered at the tax vote. As such, they've decided to take straight up to Blue Dogs and another interesting category of Representatives, the Democrats representing rural areas, which have the most to win from Mike Pence's proposal. The campaign is running ads and campaigning in the districts of Tom O'Halleran, Jared Goelden, Collin Peterson, Anthony Brindisi and Ron Kind, as well as in the districts of those who voted "present" on the tax bill: Stephanie Murphy, Vincente Gonzalez, David Scott and Mike Thompson. The President and the White House idenitified infrastructure problems in every Blue Dog or rural Democratic district and sent them to the voters in leaflets, along with the promise that the package will fix them. Now, the White House is just hoping it will be enough.
RGM2609
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2020, 02:46:54 PM »

Mike Pence decided to submit the lobbying bill first to the Senate, and then submit the infrastructure one.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2020, 03:39:45 PM »

RULES FOR DEBATE PARTICIPATION

The following rules will govern each debate:

The debates will be posted on Wednesday (starting today). Debate answers will be expected by the beginning of the next debate, the following Wednesday, posted to this thread.

There will be two total debates during this stage of the game. Each debate will have one winner (who will receive a boost in the polls and 3 free endorsement credits*) and one runner-up (who will receive 2 free endorsement credits). Participation in each individual debate is optional, but the following rewards/penalties will be applied based on number of debates participated in:

Both debates: 2 free endorsement credits, plus any winnings.
1 debate: Any winnings.
0 debates: This will result in a drop to polling when it comes out on Saturday.

If you find you cannot participate in a debate, please PM me with an excuse (if it's personal, it does not need to be specific); the debate will be counted in your total as if you had participated, up to 1 debate (while I do not believe any of you would make up excuses to get free credits without participating, I would rather be safe than sorry).

Each candidate will be asked to make an opening statement, answer one posted question relating to them specifically, and make a closing statement. Due to the possibility of people posting initial responses late in the cycle, I will not require or request a rebuttal/response to another candidate's statements or question response.

Answers and statements will be judged on:
  • Coherence (note: grammar =/= coherence; as you're playing as candidates who are giving these statements verbally, the omission of punctuation or incorrect capitalization will not result in docked points; in the same way, a grammatically perfect response that makes no actual sense will not be given additional points)
  • Length (preferably 100-500 words for statements, and 100-250 words for question responses; the limits are set up in order to better simulate a debate environment, where candidates who talk for too short a period are often viewed as vague, while more verbose candidates often get cut off)
  • General appeal (partly my judgment, partly RNG to prevent inherent bias from factoring too heavily into the calculation)

All candidates in the race at the beginning of a debate cycle will be allowed to participate, regardless of polling numbers. If you have any further questions regarding the debates, please post them here, rather than PM-ing me, so that everyone can benefit from the answer.

*First round of credits will be released on Saturday.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2020, 04:15:41 PM »

FIRST DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
(all images below are from Wikimedia Commons)

Cooper: Good evening. I'm Anderson Cooper, and I'll be moderating this first Democratic presidential debate in Miami, FL. I'm here with...

...former Georgia State House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams...

...US Senator from Wisconsin Tammy Baldwin...

...US Senator from New Jersey Cory Booker...

...Montana Governor Steve Bullock...

...North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper...

...US Senator from New York Kirsten Gillibrand...

...US Senator from California Kamala Harris...

...US Senator from Minnesota Amy Klobuchar...

...US Senator from Oregon Jeff Merkley...

...US Representative from Massachusetts Seth Moulton...

...billionaire activist Tom Steyer...

...and tech entrepreneur Andrew Yang.

Cooper: Candidates will give an opening statement, answer one specific question, and give a closing statement. Responses and statements will be judged on clarity, length, and, of course, votes from the audience and you, the viewers across the nation. So, without further ado, let's start.

Specific Questions

To Ms. Abrams: Some on your left, most prominently former HUD Secretary Julian Castro, have attacked you for saying you would continue the criminalization of undocumented border crossings. How do you respond to these people?

To Senator Baldwin: While you have made clear that your main plan of attack in a general election would be to take back the Midwest, many in your party have suggested that you instead pursue a strategy based in more diverse states, such as Florida, North Carolina, and Arizona. What makes you think your strategy is superior?

To Senator Booker: President Pence has introduced legislation into the Senate that will significantly weaken lobbying in Washington. In your announcement speech, you declared that you would take on government corruption. Does this mean you would support the President's new bill?

To Governor Bullock: Shortly before the failure of the President's tax cuts, you suggested the OMB look into them. Would you submit your financial legislation to the OMB before pushing it as President?

To Governor Cooper: As Governor of a key swing state, you have a unique insight into the eyes of critical general election voters. What do you believe North Carolinians think of the President's proposed legislation?

To Senator Gillibrand: You have stated that you are a proponent of Medicare for All. How would you pay for this program, which is often valued in the trillions?

To Senator Harris: You have been described as "the next Obama," despite the fact that the original Obama is now supporting Senator Booker. Why do you believe the media often casts you in that light, anyway?

To Senator Klobuchar: Many Americans continue to believe that climate change is a hoax, as propagated by former President Trump and Alex Jones. How would you attempt to convince these people of the science behind climate change?

To Senator Merkley: You've often supported infrastructure investment in the past. Does this mean you support President Pence's new infrastructure legislation, and, if not, why not?

To Representative Moulton: According to several sources on Capitol Hill, you were instrumental in taking down President Pence's tax legislation. Do you intend to fight his new initiatives, as well?

To Mr. Steyer: You've attacked lobbying in Washington on numerous occasions; do you support the new legislation that would significantly roll back this lobbying, and, if not, why not?

To Mr. Yang: Your hallmark proposal has been a $1000 a month universal basic income. At $12000 a year per adult American citizen, this would cost more than $2.5 trillion. How do you intend to pay for such a program?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2020, 04:17:57 PM »

Jay Inslee by Gage Skidmore

Jay Inslee Endorses Tom Steyer

Washington Governor and outspoken climate activist Jay Inslee has endorsed Tom Steyer's visionary, progressive campaign for President. The two men, both allies in the fight against the climate change are both 100% committed to defeat climate change and reducing obscene wealth inequality. Jay Inslee gave a speech in Seattle endorsing Tom Steyer and pledging his support to the bold progressive seeking to break the corporate stronghold on Washington to get things done for working people. Jay Inslee will join Tom in barnstorming New Hampshire and will help build a ground game in Washington and across the west coast, helping to build a strong coalition across the entire country. The message is clear, Tom is the outsider who's best prepared to end the corporate control of government and fight climate change and corruption.

Transcript: Tom Steyer is a real fighter in the battle against climate change and Washington corruption. I'm proud to support him for President.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2020, 04:41:59 PM »

FIRST REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
(all images below are from Wikimedia Commons)

Ingraham: Good evening. I'm Laura Ingraham, and I'll be moderating this first Republican presidential debate in Albuquerque, NM. I'm here with...

...conspiracy theorist Alex Jones...

...US Senator from Kentucky Rand Paul...

...US Senator from Ohio Rob Portman...

...conservative commentator Ben Shapiro...

...US Ambassador to the United Nations Ivanka Trump...

...and President Mike Pence.

Ingraham: Candidates will give an opening statement, answer one specific question, and give a closing statement. Responses and statements will be judged on clarity, length, and, of course, votes from the audience and you, the viewers across the nation. So, without further ado, let's start.

Specific Questions

To Mr. Jones: A recent theory originating from 4chan claims the President of the United States may have suffered his stroke unnaturally, putting the blame on "Chinese operatives" within the White House. Do you believe these claims hold any water?

To Senator Paul: You voted against the President's tax cuts out of a sense of their fiscal irresponsibility. Now the President intends to instead increase spending on infrastructure. Will you oppose this measure, as well, and why or why not?

To Senator Portman: Similarly to Senator Paul, will you oppose the President's new infrastructure legislation, and why or why not?

To Mr. Shapiro: As an orthodox Jew, do you feel concerned by the rise of anti-Semitism among conservatives in the past few years?

To Ambassador Trump: You chose not to take a position on the President's tax plan. Will you remain similarly neutral on his new legislation, and, if not, are you for or against it?

To President Pence: You have recently put forward legislation that would significantly weaken lobbying efforts in the United States. Do you have concerns about whether or not this could alienate major conservative donors?
RGM2609
« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2020, 05:57:28 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2020, 05:34:14 AM by RGM2609 »

Mike Pence's debate answers

Opening statement: Good evening, my fellow Americans. I am President Mike Pence, and I stand here in front of you not as President, nor as a Presidential candidate, but as a patriot who is deeply disturbed by the changes in our federal politics and policies of the last few years. Just like you, I am angry about the failed reform of healthcare called Obamacare which caused very high costs in exchange for useless, unusable insurances. Just like you, I am angry about the tax rates for middle class and working class people, who are getting taxed to death, and about our tax code full of loopholes and useless complications. Just like you, I am angry about our crumbling infrastructure and how the federal government is doing nothing to address the issue. Just like you, I am angry about the illegal immigration that is happening in massive numbers. And just like you, I am angry about our politicians not fighting for America. In 2016, I was selected by President Donald Trump to help him deal with this problems and bring prosperity to the American people. And the Trump-Pence Administration fought for you and for our country tirelessly. Unfortunately, we didn't manage to achieve everything we wanted to because the DC swamp opposed us at every move. Well, I say no more! They won't dictate anything anymore! We will Make America Great Again despite their desperate attempts to stop us, like we saw at the tax reform vote, but only if we have your support. So are you with us?

Answer to the specific question:
No, not at all, and I want to make something very clear. We as a country need to stop being afraid and perhaps even more importantly, we as a government need to stop being afraid! No politician in America should ever think: "Oh, what will the lobbyists say? What will the special interests say? What will the donors say? What will the billionaires say? Will they get revenge on me?" before deciding on policies. Never again should the lobbyists and billionaires be more important than their constituents to politicians. We have seen a very clear example of the opposite when the House voted on my tax reform plan. It was a plan that would have closed loopholes for special interests, cut taxes dramatically for the middle and lower class and ensured affordable child care. It was voted down by some people on this stage for reasons that I think are quite clear, and by many Democrats and moderate Democrats who were afraid of the Democratic Koch throwing them out of office. That was shameful, and I won't fall in this trap. And you said "conservative" donors. Well, if they really are conservative, they would understand that this legislation was necessary to restore the integrity of our government and a voice to the people, which is what conservatism is all about. If they don't get that, they're not conservatives, they're swampists, no better than Steyer, and I don't need their support. I've got the people on my side and that's good enough for me.

Closing statement:
My fellow Americans, I am sure many of you think elections and politics are complicated, and you're not wrong, most of them are. However, this one, this one is very simple. Running against me you have two Senators who constantly tout their fiscal conservatism yet when they were faced with a simple option: "Yes" or "No" on the tax bill that I proposed, a great bill which would have boosted our middle and lower classes as well as the economy, they said "No" for reasons that were repeatedly debunked. One of them asked me to cut 3 random programs he found for a small saving, when we were not in the procedure of drafting a budget! That speaks for itself. Another candidate running against me, Ivanka Trump, said in her announcement speech, and I quote: " the months after have been a return to Washington as usual, a return to the lobbyists, donors and the swamp’ dictating what’s best for the rest of us" That really aged well, didn't it? So my opponents will disagree with everything I say or do, but what matters is your opinion. In the past few months I have tirelessly fought for your prosperity. I proposed tax cuts, affordable child care, a massive infrastructure package, term limits for members of Congress, and I have begun the fight against the swamp by starting to enforce the lobbying laws we have, drafting a new law that will stop the lobbyists from ruling over our elected representatives and by starting the process of overturning Citizens United. And there is more to come. If I am re-elected, I will reform health care so it is affordable not just in name, I will reform education to give parents more choice, I will stop illegal immigration by building a wall and boosting ICE, I will dramatically scale back the federal government so it stops over-regulating our existences and yes, I will absolutely push for tax reform, because we are in desperate need for it. With this vision, I believe we can Make America Great Again for years to come. Thank you

VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2020, 07:37:59 PM »

ABRAMS DEBATE ANSWERS

Opening Statement:
Good evening, I’d like to begin by thanking Anderson, CNN, and our venue for hosting us tonight. You may not know my name, but you probably recognize my story. My mother, Carolyn, was a librarian who taught us to love learning and my father, Robert, was a minister, who taught us to love each other and our fellow Americans. They worked hard to build a pathway to success for me. But the system was still rigged. Most candidates would hide this, but I wear this as a badge of honor: I am still paying off my student loan debt. I know the struggles of the average American because I’ve lived it.

We know the solutions to our problems but unfortunately the leaders in Washington are complicit in not doing anything to get it done! We need an outsider who doesn’t know the ways of Washington. I served in the Georgia House of Representatives, representing the 84th district for 6 years, I served as the Minority Leader of the Georgia House for 6 years. I’ve spent my time outside of that office running for governor, a race we would’ve won had the Republican machine not suppressed the vote. I’ve also spent my time since leaving the State House fighting for the sanctity of our democracy, protecting the right to vote.

I hope that I earn your vote tonight, and that cast your vote for someone with government experience OUTSIDE of Washington.

Specialized question:
Julián and I are good friends, he was one of the first people to endorse our campaign for Governor. A lot of people have referred to me as the compromise candidate. I take that with stride, I will work with people no matter if they have a D next to their name or if they have an R next to their name. What I will do as President is kind of meet Julián halfway, I’d be willing to take border crossing from a criminal offense to a civil offense. What’s upsetting is that there are several people that have the best of intentions, wanting to come here to America and have a try at the American dream, but what holds them back is a border crossing. But by completely decriminalizing border crossings, you’re also running the risk of encouraging people who aren’t here with good intentions coming into the country. So my proposal is to prop up immigrants that have good intentions and to discourage immigrants with bad intentions. Julián, if you’re watching, I’d love to have a phone or email conversation with you about this and discuss immigration. Thank you for the question.

Closing Statement:
This is the most consequential election in our history. What we need our leaders to do is very simple: tell the truth. Right now, we don’t have that in Washington. I want our leaders, no matter what party they are associated with, to succeed. I want our country to succeed. Our leaders in Washington have big duties they need to fulfill that they aren’t. They are, as I said, to tell the truth, respect their office, respect and identify the beautiful diversity that is America, and to do right by our people. That is not what we have in President Pence, that is not what we had in President Trump. My Democratic colleagues and I don’t agree on everything, but what we do agree on is the urgency to elect a Democrat in 2020 and unleash a new America, for all.

McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2020, 08:33:51 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2020, 08:37:53 PM by jakobisgood »

Gillibrand Debate Answers
Credit to Flickr for the Photo

Opening Statement
Hello, Bonjour, Hola, Ni hao, Ola. We all come from different backgrounds, but we all have something in common. We're proud Americans. We're proud of what our country has become, a place where all citizens have the opportunity to live the American Dream. I grew up in a small city, with a small family. I didn't know much else about what was out there. I ran for Congress, beat a corrupt Republican, and took the fight that so many of us stood for to Washington. I fought for American Farmers, for Equal Rights for all Americans, and voted multiple times to ensure that our citizens had everything they needed. Then, I moved down to New York City. This is what I didn't know about. It was different, so much different, than where I had grown up. I wasn't a city girl, I was a country girl. There was people getting hurt, families getting destroyed, business owners losing their businesses, I knew I had to do something. So, I went to the United States Senate. I work bi-partisanly to get things done for all Americans. I know what it's like to be in a tough situation, because I lived it for 30 years. I'm ready to be your champion in the Oval Office, and bring the issues that we care so deeply about to the frontlines.
Debate Question
Thank you for the question, Anderson. To clarify, I support Medicare for All who want it. I believe that we must still have the option for Private Health Insurance. It's obvious that something has got to change in this country. When we have people rationing their insulin to be able to feed their kids, something is wrong. When we see School Teachers choose to buy school supplies instead of buying their cholesterol prescription, something is wrong. We have a lot of problems, and Mike Pence doesn't care. He doesn't care about you. He doesn't care about your family. And he sure as hell doesn't care about your problems. I've always been a fighter for the American People. I am proud to be endorsed by a champion of Affordable Healthcare, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. I know that we can change our Healthcare System, because I was there when President Obama signed the Affordable Care Act into law. There is opportunity for some big change, we just need the right leader to do so.
Closing Statement
I'd like to thank Anderson, my fellow candidates, and the audience for joining us here tonight. We discussed a bunch of issues tonight. The cost of Healthcare, Immigration, Taxes, Climate Change, and more. What we haven't discussed is how the people in Rural Iowa are feeling. How they don't believe that this President is representing their issues, and that some people on this stage don't represent their issues. I grew up a Small Town Girl. I represented a Congressional District where Farm Animals outnumbered Democrats. Yet, I won my election, twice. Expanding on my lead, and winning counties that went safely to Donald Trump. I know how to win, I know what voters care about. I have fought my whole career for the average American. As President, I'll lower taxes for the middle class, ensure Healthcare becomes affordable, protect our workers, create millions of new jobs, fix our broken infrastructure, put an end to climate change, and build a stronger America. I'm not afraid of Mike Pence or the Republican Party. Nothing has ever been easy for me. This election, I hope that I can earn your vote, so that we can tell the Republican Party and Mike Pence, Brave will Win.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2020, 08:54:01 PM »

Gillibrand Announces New Endorsement
Credit to Flickr for the photo

Quote from Rep. Finkenauer
I believe that we have to answer those questions that so many Americans are asking. How will we defeat Climate Change? How can we ensure our children can go to school without having to think about if this is the day that a School Shooting occurs? How can I pay the bills with three kids? We have to answer those questions. I'm new to Washington, but I understand that a lot of things don't get done there. I know someone though, that has set partisan politics aside and actually worked for the American People. Kirsten Gillibrand, that is why I am proud to stand with her today, and officially endorse her campaign for President of the United States.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies