Out to Pasture (2020 Election Game) Gameplay Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:39:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Out to Pasture (2020 Election Game) Gameplay Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Author Topic: Out to Pasture (2020 Election Game) Gameplay Thread  (Read 31362 times)
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 0.52

« on: January 26, 2020, 07:56:43 PM »

So, since we're in gameplay mode anyway, at this point...

The 2020 campaign cycle begins in earnest with eleven Democrats and six Republicans vying for the top job. On the Democratic side, the field has been shaken badly by the recent animus against 65+ politicians, as it leaves four top contenders, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren and Michael Bloomberg, out in the cold. This has left an extremely volatile Democratic field, from which no one has yet emerged as a frontrunner. On the Republican front, President Mike Pence seemingly leads the pack, but it would be foolhardy to call him untouchable, especially with everyone from conspiracy theorist Alex Jones to the former President's own daughter running against him. With that, the phrase of the day seems to be this: Game on!
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 08:26:06 PM »

Since "alternate them" has basically won the poll at this point, and CNN came in as runner up, we'll be alternating but starting with CNN.

(All images below are from Wikimedia Commons)

Election Update 2020
with your hosts, Wolf Blitzer and John King

Blitzer: Good evening. I'm Wolf Blitzer.

King: And I'm John King. And we're here to bring you the first Election Update of this 2020 cycle.

Blitzer: And it's been a busy opening few weeks for the campaign as seventeen candidates, eleven Democrats and six Republicans including President Pence, have signalled a campaign. They are: President Pence, newly minted UN Ambassador Ivanka Trump, Senators Rand Paul from Kentucky, Rob Portman from Ohio, Tammy Baldwin from Wisconsin, Cory Booker from New Jersey, Kirsten Gillibrand from New York, Amy Klobuchar from Minnesota, and Jeff Merkley from Oregon, Governors Steve Bullock of Montana and Roy Cooper of North Carolina, Representative Seth Moulton from Massachusetts, former Georgia House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams, entrepreneurs Tom Steyer and Andrew Yang, and conservative commentators Ben Shapiro and Alex Jones.

King: Out of breath yet, Wolf?

Blitzer: *laughs* I think I'll be fine. Numerous early endorsements coming in, as well. Abrams is being supported by former President Carter, Baldwin by Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers, Booker by former President Obama, Bullock by former Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack, Gillibrand by Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Jones by fellow conservative commentator Gavin McInnes, Klobuchar by former Vice President Biden, Merkley by Senator Bernie Sanders, Moulton by Senator Elizabeth Warren, Paul by Senator Tim Scott, Pence by Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds, Portman reportedly about to announce an endorsement from either former Ohio Governor John Kasich or Senator Josh Hawley, both of whom have shown support for his bid in recent days, Steyer endorsed by former New Hampshire Governor John Lynch, and Trump by former UN Ambassador Nikki Haley.

King: *blinks a couple of times* Seriously, Wolf, should I be concerned?

Blitzer: *takes drink of water* No, I'll be fine. Now, then, tonight we have a very special guest, Congressman Seth Moulton. Congressman, glad to have you on here.

Moulton: Glad to be here, Wolf. Always nice to come on here and talk about what matters to the American people.

Blitzer: And do that we shall. Congressman, you’re a Harvard grad, a Marine veteran, and proceeded to come home and get a double master’s degree, also from Harvard. For many other jobs, this would be viewed as an unbeatable resume. However, in political terms, you’re only a U.S. Representative, and no sitting Representative has won the White House since James A. Garfield in 1880. How do you intend to overcome this obstacle?

Moulton: Well, thanks you're making me blush, but you're right many of the political know it alls think I won't bring home the bacon in November. I'm happy to tell them they're wrong, you know who else had a resume like mine? Abraham Lincoln, we need to look at the person not the resume in deciding if they would be a great President. I'm telling you today that when the Democrats in Iowa go to their caucus in 2020, I will be among the forefront of not just Democrats, but Americans calling for change, this isn't an obstacle this is an advantage.

Blitzer: An advantage much needed in a field this size. If elected, you would be the youngest President in American history. Do you believe this would be an asset or a liability to you?

Moulton: This would be an obvious asset to my administration, for too long have the current day politicians been talking about passing the torch to the next generation. Here I am, it is time to pass the torch, and it is time for a new generation of Americans to lead in Washington.

Blitzer: Very much the feelings of the American public following President Trump's unfortunate stroke. If you do become the President, what will your first 100 days be like?

Moulton: As I outlined in my announcement in February, my first 100 days in office would be cornerstoned around enacting common-sense and meaningful gun control and expanding the Affordable Care Act to cover millions of more Americans and bringing in a public option. Since the new congress was elected hundreds of bills have been stopped by the Republican-controlled Senate, and with a new Democratic majority in the Senate, I believe we will make leaps and strides towards making America, a safer and healthier nation.

Blitzer: A strong message to run on in such a year as this. If you could say one thing to the American people tonight, what would it be?

Moulton: Say thank you tonight, to someone. If it is a family member, or a veteran just let them know you care. I remember when I returned from my first tour of duty in Iraq, and I felt alone and afraid, I had just witnessed some of the scariest things imaginable and I returned to a nation deeply divided and a war I opposed myself. I didn't fight because I felt like the war was a righteous or moral prerogative for our nation, but instead because of those men in my platoon when they raided an Al Qaeda safe house, I wanted them to know they could trust the man to their right if that man was me.

Blitzer: Congressman Moulton, always an honor to have you on here.

Moulton: Likewise, Wolf.

Blitzer: And that will be all for tonight. Join us on Tuesday (IRL) for our next Update, in which we interview Senator Kirsten Gillibrand.

Blitzer: Until then, I'm Wolf Blitzer.

King: And I'm John King.

Both: And this has been your Election Update.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 05:48:27 PM »

BREAKING NEWS

Source: Wikimedia Commons

Blitzer: Good evening. I'm Wolf Blitzer and we have breaking news. In response to President Pence's debate offer, former Georgia State House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams has called for a "Commander-in-Chief Forum" to which all seventeen major presidential candidates will be invited, in order to "make everyone's voice heard on the issues facing America."

CNN has agreed to host the event at whatever place and time the candidates agree upon for the forum. Likely issues include the President's tax cuts, climate change, corruption in the government, and partisan gridlock. We'll bring you more details as they unfold, but, until then, I'm Wolf Blitzer, and thanks for tuning in.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 07:06:44 PM »

OFFICIAL SENATE VOTE ON PRESIDENT PENCE'S TAX LEGISLATION

Ayes (53)
Richard Shelby (R-AL)
Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
Dan Sullivan (R-AK)
Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)
Martha McSally (R-AZ)
John Boozman (R-AR)
Tom Cotton (R-AR)
Cory Gardner (R-CO)
Marco Rubio (R-FL)
Rick Scott (R-FL)
Johnny Isakson (R-GA)
David Perdue (R-GA)
Mike Crapo (R-ID)
Jim Risch (R-ID)
Todd Young (R-IN)
Mike Braun (R-IN)
Chuck Grassley (R-IA)
Joni Ernst (R-IA)
Pat Roberts (R-KS)
Jerry Moran (R-KS)
Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
Bill Cassidy (R-LA)
John Kennedy (R-LA)
Susan Collins (R-ME)
Roger Wicker (R-MS)
Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
Roy Blunt (R-MO)
Josh Hawley (R-MO)
Steve Daines (R-MT)
Deb Fischer (R-NE)
Ben Sasse (R-NE)
Richard Burr (R-NC)
Thom Tillis (R-NC)
John Hoeven (R-ND)
Kevin Cramer (R-ND)
Jim Inhofe (R-OK)
James Lankford (R-OK)
Pat Toomey (R-PA)
Lindsey Graham (R-SC)
Tim Scott (R-SC)
John Thune (R-SD)
Mike Rounds (R-SD)
Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
Marsha Blackburn (R-TN)
John Cornyn (R-TX)
Ted Cruz (R-TX)
Mike Lee (R-UT)
Mitt Romney (R-UT)
Joe Manchin (D-WV)
Shelly Moore Capito (R-WV)
Ron Johnson (R-WI)
Mike Enzi (R-WY)
John Barrasso (R-WY)

Nays (47)
Doug Jones (D-AL)
Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)
Kamala Harris (D-CA)
Michael Bennet (D-CO)
Richard Blumenthal (D-CT)
Chris Murphy (D-CT)
Tom Carper (D-DE)
Chris Coons (D-DE)
Brian Schatz (D-HI)
Mazie Hirono (D-HI)
Dick Durbin (D-IL)
Tammy Duckworth (D-IL)
Rand Paul (R-KY)
Angus King (I-ME)
Ben Cardin (D-MD)
Chris Van Hollen (D-MD)
Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)
Ed Markey (D-MA)
Debbie Stabenow (D-MI)
Gary Peters (D-MI)
Amy Klobuchar (D-MN)
Tina Smith (D-MN)
Jon Tester (D-MT)
Catherine Cortez Masto (D-NV)
Jacky Rosen (D-NV)
Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH)
Maggie Hassan (D-NH)
Bob Menendez (D-NJ)
Cory Booker (D-NJ)
Tom Udall (D-NM)
Martin Heinrich (D-NM)
Chuck Schumer (D-NY)
Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY)
Sherrod Brown (D-OH)
Rob Portman (R-OH)
Ron Wyden (D-OR)
Jeff Merkley (D-OR)
Bob Casey, Jr. (D-PA)
Jack Reed (D-RI)
Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI)
Patrick Leahy (D-VT)
Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
Mark Warner (D-VA)
Tim Kaine (D-VA)
Patty Murray (D-WA)
Maria Cantwell (D-WA)
Tammy Baldwin (D-WI)

Paul and Portman, the only Republican dissenters, both of whom are challenging the President in the GOP primary, cited the perceived fiscal irresponsibility of the tax cuts, with Paul stating that he would vote for a revised version of the bill that cut the programs he has mentioned in his campaign speeches.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 08:38:11 PM »

CNN COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF FORUM

Blitzer: Good evening. I'm Wolf Blitzer, and tonight is CNN's Commander-in-Chief Forum. We invited all seventeen major candidates to this event, and we're going to here from all who chose to come. There will be three general questions, as well as a specific question for each candidate. So, without further ado, here they are:

General Questions

1) Many of you have very strong views on the President's tax cuts, which recently passed the Senate 53-47, with six of you even voting on it (all against). Would each of you care to once again clarify your position on the issue, and would the Senators explain the reasoning behind their votes?

2) Healthcare is the #1 issue Americans are concerned about this election cycle. How would each of you format healthcare under your administration?

3) Climatologists now say we have little more than a decade to roll back our global greenhouse gas input before disastrous irreversibility strikes. Do you agree with this assessment? If so, how would you move to lessen this nation's carbon footprint? If not, why do you believe it not to be the case?

Personal Questions:

Former State Rep. Abrams:

You have proposed closing down all nuclear power plants within the United States. However, many scientists now believe that the use of thorium as an alternative fuel to uranium would remove or significantly reduce nearly all the risks associated with nuclear power. Would you support this solution instead of shutting down all our nuclear plants?

Senator Baldwin:

You are the only member of the LGBTQ+ community on this stage tonight. President Pence has been accused repeatedly of intense homophobia and encouragement of discrimination against LGBT individuals. Did his ascendance to the Presidency have any bearing on your decision to run?

Senator Booker:

Former President Obama has been an early supporter of your campaign, despite the fact that most recent Presidents choose to stay above the fray in their own party's primaries. As a result, many have accused him of putting his thumb on the scale in your favor. How do your respond to these criticisms?

Governor Bullock:

Your main personal critique of President Pence's tax bill has been the more paltry cut offered to the working class. Would you support it if the President increased the cut for the poor?

Governor Cooper:

As Governor of a key swing state, you have a unique insight into the eyes of critical general election voters. What do you believe North Carolinians think of the President's proposed tax cuts?

Senator Gillibrand:

You said in your announcement speech that the President and other Republicans have made this country "a laughing stock." In what ways do you believe they've done this?

Senator Harris:

You have been described as "the next Obama," despite the fact that the original Obama appears to be supporting Senator Booker. Why do you believe the media often casts you in that light, anyway?

Senator Klobuchar:

You were one of the first candidates to sign on to the "No PAC Pledge." Do you believe this could put you at a sharp disadvantage against independently wealthy candidates like Mr. Steyer?

Senator Merkley:

You were the only Senator to support Bernie Sanders in 2016, and now, so far, he has been one of your campaign's strongest allies. What other factors do you believe contributed to your early securing of his endorsement?

Congressman Moulton:

You've been one of the staunchest critics of President Pence's tax cuts in the House. Do you believe your voice may resonate more with House Democrats than those of the other candidates in this race?

Mr. Steyer:

Some members of the "Blue Dog Coalition" have claimed you've threatened them with supporting primary challengers if they vote to support the President's tax cuts. Is there any truth to these statements, and, if so, what about this bill concerns you so that you would attack members of your own party for voting for it?

Mr. Yang:

Your hallmark proposal has been a $1000 a month universal basic income. At $12000 a year per adult American citizen, this would cost more than $2.5 trillion. How do you intend to pay for such a program?

Mr. Jones:

You have attacked what you have called the "globalist social media companies" for attempting to "censor" you because of your views. What with the recent talk on the left of such a proposal, do you believe we should break up big tech companies like Google, Facebook, and Twitter?

Senator Paul:

You cited a lack of spending cuts in your explanation of your "no" vote on the President's tax cuts. As a libertarian, how would you run tax policy in your administration?

President Pence:

No President in recent history has faced a significant primary challenge and gone on to win the general election. How do you intend to buck this trend if you are the nominee?

Senator Portman:

You stated that you would support fiscal responsibility no matter what in one of your campaign speeches, and cited this as to why you rejected the President's tax cuts. Would you, then, raise taxes in order to cut the national deficit?

Mr. Shapiro:

As a 35-year-old (37 on Inauguration Day) political commentator, many believe you are too inexperienced to be President of the United States. How do you respond to these criticisms?

Ambassador Trump:

Many of the President's supporters have complained that your presidential run "reeks of nepotism." How do you respond to these accusations?

All answers are due by the end of the day Jan. 31st, CST (1:00 AM Feb. 1 EST, 6:00 AM Feb. 1 UTC).
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 02:45:12 PM »

OFFICIAL HOUSE VOTE ON PRESIDENT PENCE'S REVISED TAX LEGISLATION

Ayes: 215
Nays: 215 + Speaker Pelosi (tiebreaker; bill fails)
Present: 4

Party Defectors:

Republicans
None

Democrats
Present:
Vicente Gonzalez (TX-15)
Stephanie Murphy (FL-07)
David Scott (GA-13)
Mike Thompson (CA-05)

Aye:
Anthony Brindisi (NY-22)
Jim Cooper (TN-05)
Charlie Crist (FL-13)
Henry Cuellar (TX-28)
Joe Cunningham (SC-01)
Josh Gottheimer (NJ-05)
Kendra Horn (OK-05)
Ben McAdams (UT-04)
Tom O'Halleran (AZ-01)
Collin Peterson (MN-07)
Max Rose (NY-11)
Kurt Schrader (OR-05)
Mikie Sherill (NJ-11)
Abigail Spanberger (VA-07)
Xochitl Torres Small (NM-02)
Jeff Van Drew (NJ-02)
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 08:36:30 PM »

Election Update 2020

King: And I'm John King. And this is your election update.

Blitzer: And this week marked by a bitter Twitter feud between the President and Senators Paul and Portman over the Senators' "no" votes on the President's tax cuts, which would go on to barely fail in the House. The President immediately blamed billionaire megadonor Tom Steyer, who's running this cycle, for threatening to fund primary challengers to Democrats who broke ranks. Steyer categorically denied these allegations as "rumors." Also, many candidates participating in CNN's own Commander-in-Chief Town Hall.

King: Many other news stories, as well, which you can check up on at cnn.com.

Blitzer: Numerous endorsements also flying, with almost all candidates receiving at least one.

Blitzer: That said, tonight we have a very special guest, Senator Kirsten Gillibrand. Senator, glad to have you on here.

Gillibrand: I'm good, Wolf. How are you?

Blitzer: I'm well, thank you, Senator. Now, you’ve already received the endorsement of progressive firebrand Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. While many agree this will help you with the progressive base in the primary, do you believe it could cause trouble in the general election?

Gillibrand: Well, first, thank you for having me on. I'm so happy to be running for President to represent those who have been left behind by President Pence and the GOP. Now, onto the question. No, I do not believe that the endorsement of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez will harm me in the General Election. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez represents Lower Class, and Middle Class citizens from the Bronx, and the Bronx shares many different problems that the rest of America faces. Poverty, Crime, Loss of Opportunity, The rising cost of Healthcare, things like that. I have always fought for these type of people in the House, as well as the Senate. Me and Alexandria have no doubt in our minds that the American People believe in our message, that Brave Will Win.

Blitzer: A bold strategy from a candidate striving to be the first female President of the United States. Now, many of your fellows on the left wing of the Democratic Party have been quick to point out your old views on issues such as gun control, and have labelled you as an opportunist because of them. How do you respond to the criticisms?

Gillibrand: Well, I'm not an opportunist. When I was living in Upstate New York, I really didn't see much violence in my community. It wasn't really a question on if students could go to school, without the threat of a school shooting, or walking down the street without being harassed. When I moved down to New York City, while serving in the Senate, I saw first hand what Gun Violence can cause. Thousands of African American, and Latino Americans have experienced first hand. Our communities are being destroyed because the Republican Party have failed to take action on Gun Violence, and our people are suffering. They're suffering. That is why I changed my position on Gun Violence, because we have a lot of problems, we do. Gun Violence will be dealt with appropriately under my Administration. No person will have to worry whether or not this is the day that they get that call from their kid's school, that the unthinkable has happened.

Blitzer: As former Speaker Boehner put it on marijuana, your thinking has evolved. Now, as you're seen as one of the major contenders for the nomination, what would your first 100 days be like?

Gillibrand: In my first 100 days, you'll see a lot, trust me. We'll take steps towards dealing with a Fair Tax Plan for all Americans, an Infrastructure Plan that rebuilds our Highways, Airports, Trains, etc. You'll also see me present my plan to Congress on how to take on Gun Violence first hand, and a comprehensive Healthcare Plan. Nobody, under my administration will have to worry about what the President is doing, instead, you can focus on your children and your careers. This is what it should be like. We shouldn't have to worry every day when we wake up what the President did overnight. Did he cut taxes again for the wealthy? Did he attempt to take away Healthcare from millions of Americans? I will not let it happen, trust me.

Blitzer: An America without a President dominating the news every day, what ever shall we do? Now, before you go, Senator, if you could say one thing to the American people tonight, what would it be?

Gillibrand: One thing I could say? Well, let me say this. I know you may not know my name off the top of your head, but I hope you know my work. I've fought for Human Rights, Healthcare Reform, Tax Reform, and the issues that so many of you hold dear. I've been a Representative, and a Senator, and now, I want to become your President. I want to serve you in the Executive Branch, and I hope that you give me that honor. Nothing has ever been more important to me, than the well being of the American People. I will never stop the fight to tell the GOP that no, they cannot take away Healthcare from millions of Americans. No, they cannot take away Gun Control Protections that keep millions of our families and children safe. No, they cannot take away the Right to Choose of a Woman. They simply cannot. We have to have a President that will acknowledge there is things wrong in this country. Not everything will always be perfect, but we can strive for better. I will never let you down. I will never stop fighting for you. I will be a President for all Americans, every step of the way. I ask you all to go to kirstengillibrand.com and look at what I stand for, and how we can transform this country. Let's be Brave, together. Thank you.

Blitzer: Senator Gillibrand, always a pleasure to have you on.

Gillibrand: And to be here, as well, Wolf.

Blitzer: And that will be all for tonight. Tune in on Thursday for our interview with billionaire activist Tom Steyer.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 03:39:45 PM »

RULES FOR DEBATE PARTICIPATION

The following rules will govern each debate:

The debates will be posted on Wednesday (starting today). Debate answers will be expected by the beginning of the next debate, the following Wednesday, posted to this thread.

There will be two total debates during this stage of the game. Each debate will have one winner (who will receive a boost in the polls and 3 free endorsement credits*) and one runner-up (who will receive 2 free endorsement credits). Participation in each individual debate is optional, but the following rewards/penalties will be applied based on number of debates participated in:

Both debates: 2 free endorsement credits, plus any winnings.
1 debate: Any winnings.
0 debates: This will result in a drop to polling when it comes out on Saturday.

If you find you cannot participate in a debate, please PM me with an excuse (if it's personal, it does not need to be specific); the debate will be counted in your total as if you had participated, up to 1 debate (while I do not believe any of you would make up excuses to get free credits without participating, I would rather be safe than sorry).

Each candidate will be asked to make an opening statement, answer one posted question relating to them specifically, and make a closing statement. Due to the possibility of people posting initial responses late in the cycle, I will not require or request a rebuttal/response to another candidate's statements or question response.

Answers and statements will be judged on:
  • Coherence (note: grammar =/= coherence; as you're playing as candidates who are giving these statements verbally, the omission of punctuation or incorrect capitalization will not result in docked points; in the same way, a grammatically perfect response that makes no actual sense will not be given additional points)
  • Length (preferably 100-500 words for statements, and 100-250 words for question responses; the limits are set up in order to better simulate a debate environment, where candidates who talk for too short a period are often viewed as vague, while more verbose candidates often get cut off)
  • General appeal (partly my judgment, partly RNG to prevent inherent bias from factoring too heavily into the calculation)

All candidates in the race at the beginning of a debate cycle will be allowed to participate, regardless of polling numbers. If you have any further questions regarding the debates, please post them here, rather than PM-ing me, so that everyone can benefit from the answer.

*First round of credits will be released on Saturday.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 04:15:41 PM »

FIRST DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
(all images below are from Wikimedia Commons)

Cooper: Good evening. I'm Anderson Cooper, and I'll be moderating this first Democratic presidential debate in Miami, FL. I'm here with...

...former Georgia State House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams...

...US Senator from Wisconsin Tammy Baldwin...

...US Senator from New Jersey Cory Booker...

...Montana Governor Steve Bullock...

...North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper...

...US Senator from New York Kirsten Gillibrand...

...US Senator from California Kamala Harris...

...US Senator from Minnesota Amy Klobuchar...

...US Senator from Oregon Jeff Merkley...

...US Representative from Massachusetts Seth Moulton...

...billionaire activist Tom Steyer...

...and tech entrepreneur Andrew Yang.

Cooper: Candidates will give an opening statement, answer one specific question, and give a closing statement. Responses and statements will be judged on clarity, length, and, of course, votes from the audience and you, the viewers across the nation. So, without further ado, let's start.

Specific Questions

To Ms. Abrams: Some on your left, most prominently former HUD Secretary Julian Castro, have attacked you for saying you would continue the criminalization of undocumented border crossings. How do you respond to these people?

To Senator Baldwin: While you have made clear that your main plan of attack in a general election would be to take back the Midwest, many in your party have suggested that you instead pursue a strategy based in more diverse states, such as Florida, North Carolina, and Arizona. What makes you think your strategy is superior?

To Senator Booker: President Pence has introduced legislation into the Senate that will significantly weaken lobbying in Washington. In your announcement speech, you declared that you would take on government corruption. Does this mean you would support the President's new bill?

To Governor Bullock: Shortly before the failure of the President's tax cuts, you suggested the OMB look into them. Would you submit your financial legislation to the OMB before pushing it as President?

To Governor Cooper: As Governor of a key swing state, you have a unique insight into the eyes of critical general election voters. What do you believe North Carolinians think of the President's proposed legislation?

To Senator Gillibrand: You have stated that you are a proponent of Medicare for All. How would you pay for this program, which is often valued in the trillions?

To Senator Harris: You have been described as "the next Obama," despite the fact that the original Obama is now supporting Senator Booker. Why do you believe the media often casts you in that light, anyway?

To Senator Klobuchar: Many Americans continue to believe that climate change is a hoax, as propagated by former President Trump and Alex Jones. How would you attempt to convince these people of the science behind climate change?

To Senator Merkley: You've often supported infrastructure investment in the past. Does this mean you support President Pence's new infrastructure legislation, and, if not, why not?

To Representative Moulton: According to several sources on Capitol Hill, you were instrumental in taking down President Pence's tax legislation. Do you intend to fight his new initiatives, as well?

To Mr. Steyer: You've attacked lobbying in Washington on numerous occasions; do you support the new legislation that would significantly roll back this lobbying, and, if not, why not?

To Mr. Yang: Your hallmark proposal has been a $1000 a month universal basic income. At $12000 a year per adult American citizen, this would cost more than $2.5 trillion. How do you intend to pay for such a program?
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 04:41:59 PM »

FIRST REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE

Ingraham: Good evening. I'm Laura Ingraham, and I'll be moderating this first Republican presidential debate in Albuquerque, NM. I'm here with...

...conspiracy theorist Alex Jones...

...US Senator from Kentucky Rand Paul...

...US Senator from Ohio Rob Portman...

...conservative commentator Ben Shapiro...

...US Ambassador to the United Nations Ivanka Trump...

...and President Mike Pence.

Ingraham: Candidates will give an opening statement, answer one specific question, and give a closing statement. Responses and statements will be judged on clarity, length, and, of course, votes from the audience and you, the viewers across the nation. So, without further ado, let's start.

Specific Questions

To Mr. Jones: A recent theory originating from 4chan claims the President of the United States may have suffered his stroke unnaturally, putting the blame on "Chinese operatives" within the White House. Do you believe these claims hold any water?

To Senator Paul: You voted against the President's tax cuts out of a sense of their fiscal irresponsibility. Now the President intends to instead increase spending on infrastructure. Will you oppose this measure, as well, and why or why not?

To Senator Portman: Similarly to Senator Paul, will you oppose the President's new infrastructure legislation, and why or why not?

To Mr. Shapiro: As an orthodox Jew, do you feel concerned by the rise of anti-Semitism among conservatives in the past few years?

To Ambassador Trump: You chose not to take a position on the President's tax plan. Will you remain similarly neutral on his new legislation, and, if not, are you for or against it?

To President Pence: You have recently put forward legislation that would significantly weaken lobbying efforts in the United States. Do you have concerns about whether or not this could alienate major conservative donors?
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 05:13:38 PM »

OFFICIAL SENATE AND HOUSE VOTE ON PRESIDENT PENCE'S LOBBYING LEGISLATION

Senate:
Ayes: 98
Nays: 2 (Gary Peters, Cory Gardner*)

*: the two Senators with the highest confirmed receipts from lobbyists, per Open Secrets

House:
Ayes: 433
Nays: 2 (Richard Neal, Frank Pallone*)

*: while the House GOP leadership received significantly more from lobbyists than these two, they saw themselves as having more to lose from a "nay" vote than from an "aye"

Any changes to votes as requested by presidential candidates running as members of Congress will be taken into account as necessary.

Bill passes.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 08:28:28 PM »

Election Update 2020

Blitzer: And this week marked by the landslide passage of the President's lobbying reform bill, coming on the heels of his narrow defeat on tax cuts earlier this year. Even Pence detractors and primary challengers Rand Paul and Rob Portman voted in favor of the bill in the Senate. Also in the news, the President continues his ongoing feud with billionaire megadonor Tom Steyer, with the two trading jabs over Twitter once again.

Blitzer: Numerous endorsements also flying, with almost all candidates receiving at least one.

Blitzer: That said, tonight we have a very special guest, Tom Steyer himself. Mr. Steyer, glad to have you on here.

Steyer: Glad to be here, Wolf. I'm grateful for the opportunity.

Blitzer: Glad to hear it. Now, you’ve called to impeach President Pence much in the same way as you did with former President Trump; many, particularly on the right, argue that there’s “even less of a case against Pence than there was against Trump.” How do you defend you calls to impeach the President?

Steyer: The Trump/Pence disaster has been the most corrupt administration in history. It's gotten so putrid and vile, and the White House's strategy has been to try and normalize it. But I won't stand for it, I'm not tied up in the special interest cash, so I'll say what needs to be said. Children are dying at the border, the White House is filled with people connected to foreign governments, illegal wars are being started in Syria and supported in Yemen, and the White House lies to the American people every day. This didn't suddenly become okay, these are high crimes and misdemeanors, and the House ought to follow their constitutional duty.

Blitzer: Abuse of power clearly at the core of such an argument. Now, numerous members of your own party have accused you of trying to buy the Democratic primaries with your vast personal resources. How do you respond to these statements?

Steyer: This election will be decided by the American people. I'm trying to spread my message, and I hope people agree. We have to do whatever we can to end the corporate stronghold on our government, to end the Trump/Pence catastrophe before the damage becomes totally irreparable. I'm going to do whatever I can to achieve that, whoever wins the nomination, I'm going to support them, and use my efforts to help them defeat whoever the Republicans nominate. Once a Democrat, hopefully myself (laughs), wins the White House, we're going to achieve public financing of elections, we're going to enact massive anti-corruption reforms, and we will take back our democracy for the people away from the corporations.

Blitzer: No longer the best government money can buy then, I see. Now, assuming you do win, what would your first 100 days be like?

Steyer: My first 100 days will roll back the Trump disaster. We're going to stop leasing out public lands to developers and fossil fuel companies. We're going to end the family separation. We're going to end every criminal, every unjust, every unfair executive action this Presidency has carried out. The actions that target working people, the actions that damage our environment, and the actions assault women and minorities. Then we're going to move into the future. My administration will roll out our Climate Plan to reshape our economy to benefit people and communities, rather than fossil fuel executives. We also look forward to transformative plans regarding ending the corruption in Washington and growing our economy and rebuilding the middle class.

Blitzer: Sweeping reform ahead, I see. Now, before you go, Mr. Steyer, if you could tell the American people one thing tonight, what would it be.

Steyer: I'd like to ask the American people to check out my campaign at tomsteyer.com and to explore our policies to heal the gaping wound opened up in this country by the Trump/Pence administration, and that we can stand up for truth in this country. We don't have to tolerate the lies that come out of the White House, we do have a voice, and with that voice we will take back our democracy.

Blitzer: Tom Steyer, always a pleasure to have you on.

Steyer: Always, Wolf.

Blitzer: And that will be all for tonight. Tune in on Saturday for our interview with former Georgia House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 09:19:03 PM »

(NON-GAMEPLAY POST, THIS IS THE ONLY TIME I'M DOING THIS)

Today I saw that Stacey is planning to be president by 2040. Last I checked, that's not how that works.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/31/stacey-abrams-president-2040-109869

This article says 2024, even if she isn't Biden's VP.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 09:11:56 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2020, 04:11:44 PM by Entropy In Action »

Current Endorsements:
Democrats

Stacey Abrams
Jimmy Carter, 39th President of the United States
Karen Bass, US Rep. from CA-37
John Lewis, US Rep. from GA-05 and civil rights activist
Al Sharpton, minister and civil rights activist

Tammy Baldwin
Tony Evers, Governor of Wisconsin
Cindy Axne, US Rep. from IA-03
Service Employees International Union

Cory Booker
Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States
Jim Clyburn, House Majority Whip, US Rep. from SC-06
NAACP, civil rights organization

Steve Bullock
Tom Vilsack, former Governor of Iowa
Tom Miller, Attorney General of Iowa

Kirsten Gillibrand
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, US Rep. from NY-14
Abby Finkenauer, US Rep. from IA-01
Jacky Rosen, US Senator from Nevada

Amy Klobuchar
Joe Biden, 47th Vice President of the United States
Catherine Cortez Masto, US Senator from Nevada
Dave Loebsack, US Rep. from IA-02
Tom Harkin, former US Senator from Iowa

Jeff Merkley
Bernie Sanders, US Senator from Vermont
Sherrod Brown, US Senator from Ohio

Seth Moulton
Elizabeth Warren, US Senator from Massachusetts
AFL-CIO, major labor union
Chris Pappas, US Rep. from NH-01
Ann Kuster, US Rep. from NH-02

Jon Stewart
Stephen Colbert, television show host and comedian
John Oliver, television show host and comedian

Tom Steyer
John Lynch, former Governor of New Hampshire
Jay Inslee, Governor of Washington
Ted Lieu, US Rep. from CA-33
Sierra Club, environmentalist organization

Republicans

Alex Jones
Gavin McInnes, conservative commentator
Steve King, US Rep. from IA-04

Rand Paul
Tim Scott, US Senator from South Carolina
Thomas Massie, US Rep. from KY-04
Bill Lee, Governor of Tennessee
Rob Portman, US Senator from Ohio
John Kasich, former Governor of Ohio
Josh Hawley, US Senator from Missouri

Mike Pence
Kim Reynolds, Governor of Iowa
Ron Johnson, US Senator from Wisconsin
Ted Cruz, US Senator from Texas
Kay Ivey, Governor of Alabama
Jim Justice, Governor of West Virginia
Phil Bryant, Governor of Mississippi

Ivanka Trump
Nikki Haley, former US Ambassador to the United Nations
Marco Rubio, US Senator from Florida

Polling (22-25 June 2019)

Democrats
Tom Steyer - 15%
Stacey Abrams - 13%
Kirsten Gillibrand - 13%
Seth Moulton - 10%
Steve Bullock - 8%
Amy Klobuchar - 8%
Cory Booker - 7%
Tammy Baldwin - 5%
Jeff Merkley - 4%
Jon Stewart - 3%
Others - 0%
Undecided - 14%

Republicans
Mike Pence - 46%

Ivanka Trump - 19%
Rand Paul - 15%
Alex Jones - 4%
Jim Jordan - 4%
Undecided - 12%

Credits:
Tom Steyer: 0
Stacey Abrams: 0.6
Kirsten Gillibrand: 0
Seth Moulton: 0
Steve Bullock: 1.6
Amy Klobuchar: 0
Cory Booker: 0
Tammy Baldwin: 0
Jeff Merkley: 0.8
Jon Stewart: 0.6

Mike Pence: 0.4
Ivanka Trump: 3.8
Rand Paul: 0.8
Alex Jones: 0.8
Jim Jordan: 0.8 (+2 endorsements)

For those currently polling low, I would remind you that these numbers aren't necessarily how things will look in February (March IRL, ironically). John Kerry and Alex Sink started out polling at 5 and 6% respectively in my last successful game, and went on to get more than 1000 delegates apiece.

Also, for those feeling like they're missing credits, early purchases and reservations were accounted for prior to posting.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 03:41:49 PM »

BREKING NEWS
AP News Poll Shows Bullock, Merkley Favorites Out of CNN Town Hall Participants

In a surprising twist, the winners of the CNN Commander-in-Chief Town Hall were not the usual frontrunners, but rather Montana Governor Steve Bullock and Oregon Senator Jeff Merkley. Both campaigns touted this as victory when the poll was released. A number of people cited the fact that Bullock and Merkley both explained their rejection of the President's tax cuts (which went on to fail in the House) without denying the tax cuts to the poor and middle class, something Pence had been stressing on Twitter for weeks ahead of the forum.

Experts believe that this showing will help both candidates gain a much-needed boost, as Merkley, in particular, often polls toward the rear of the Democratic Party. Merkley spokeswoman Martina McLennan cited the poll as "proof people really do care about Jeff's position on the issues, and that he has a real shot of winning the nomination next year, regardless of what the pollsters and pundits say about it."

Also in the top five were Rand Paul, Stacey Abrams, and (in a tie) long-feuding frontrunners (per the latest Morning Consult poll) Tom Steyer and Mike Pence.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2020, 03:45:15 PM »

OFFICIAL SENATE AND HOUSE VOTE ON PRESIDENT PENCE'S INFRASTRUCTURE LEGISLATION

Senate:
Ayes: 57
Nays: 43

House:
Ayes: 222
Nays: 211

Bill passes.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2020, 08:43:24 PM »

Election Update 2020

Blitzer: And this week marked by the narrow passage of the President's infrastructure legislation, bolstered by progressives even as it was being shot at by fiscal hawks. Also, the first polling of the cycle led Senator Rob Portman to drop out and endorse his colleague Rand Paul. As for the polls themselves, the Republican race appears to be the President's to lose, as he garners nearly half the vote to Ivanka Trump's 19% and Senator Paul's 16%. Conspiracy theorists and InfoWars head Alex Jones, meanwhile, pulling in 4% support. On the Democratic side, a much less clear-cut race, with Tom Steyer, Stacey Abrams, Kirsten Gillibrand, and Seth Moulton raking in more than 10%, but several other candidates in striking distance, as well.

Blitzer: Numerous endorsements also flying, with almost all candidates receiving at least one. Stacey Abrams has been endorsed by civil rights leaders John Lewis and Al Sharpton, Tammy Baldwin by the SEIU, Cory Booker by the NAACP, Kirsten Gillibrand by Senator Jacky Rosen, Amy Klobuchar by Congressman Dave Loebsack and former Senator Tom Harkin, Seth Moulton by both Representatives from New Hampshire, Tom Steyer by Congressman Ted Lieu and the Sierra Club, an environmentalist organization, Rand Paul by Senator Portman and his endorsers, and President Pence by Governors Kay Ivey of Alabama, Jim Justice of West Virginia, and Phil Bryant of Mississippi.

King: You scare me sometimes, Wolf.

Blitzer: *laughs* I'm fine, really.

Blitzer: That said, tonight we have a very special guest, Stacey Abrams. Ms. Abrams, glad to have you on here.

Abrams: Glad to be here, Wolf. I'm grateful for the opportunity.

Blitzer: Glad to hear it. Now, you’ve coined the term “Medicare for All Who Want It” to describe your healthcare plan. What convinced you that “Medicare for All” wasn’t the best plan for the nation?

Abrams: One thing you know about me, and I hope all of America gets to know about me is that I'm not going to be in favor of something without knowing all of the facts. Every single medicare for all proposal that's been put forward doesn't adequately state how we will pay for this. Ideally, everyone will be on a government health care plan once I sign Medicare for All Who Want It into law. But there will always be people who'd rather keep their private insurance plans. I like the freedom of choice. In my view Medicare for All Who Want It has all of the good stuff of Obamacare and the good stuff of Medicare for All, but remedies the problems with both bills.

Blitzer: Not the usual Democratic use of "right to choose," but not an unappreciated one, by any means. Now, some of your critics have attacked you over your support for the USMCA, the signing of which, in their eyes, would result in a retroactive victory for former President Trump. Why do you support this trade agreement, and would you edit it in any way before signing it?

Abrams: I just want to preface with, I don't support the original version of USMCA. I support the rewritten version that was edited by House Democrats. They've gotten rid of the corporate control that was previously in the original draft, assures that we're adding jobs here at home, and that we're having more things made here in America. What I would say to my fellow Democrats is, who cares who wrote USMCA. Who cares if it's a victory for the President? I don't think it's a victory for Presidents Trump and Pence, I think it's a victory for the American people. So I'd like to call on my fellow candidates to join me and give credit where credit is due. I'd like to also say that this is not an endorsement of all of the Trump-Pence trade policies because there's a lot that I disagree with. However, I think USMCA is a win for the US.

Blitzer: A solid defense of a difficult position. Now, assuming you do win, what would your first 100 days be like?

Abrams: We've got several plans on what we want to do on our first 100 days. First of all, I'll instruct Congress to pass a bill requiring universal background checks for all weapons. I'm sick and tired of Republicans saying that they're in favor of universal background checks, right after a shooting, then they do nothing about it. It's all about scoring political points. I'll never forget right after the Sandy Hook shooting, a devastating shooting, to say the least. I remember President Obama called several people across the nation, I was lucky to be one of the people he asked "What would you do next?" I told the President "If I were you, I'd have a prime time address from the Oval Office explicitly explaining the contents of the background check bill. I'd explain how this bill isn't a Democratic bill or Republican bill, it's an American bill. This bill is for the good of this nation and has the support of Democrats AND Republicans." Unfortunately, he didn't take my advice. But we need to have the Gang of 8, key members of the Cabinet, the Vice President, and the President showing support for a BIPARTISAN bill requiring background checks. If Congress doesn't pass that bill within the first 100 days, I will sign an executive order doing just that.

I'll also be pardoning several people that are currently incarcerated for having just a little bit of cannabis. These nonviolent drug offenders don't need to be rotting in jail for having a little bit of cannabis, people like Alice Johnson that the President pardoned, a decision both sides praised. I'll also be pardoning Edward Snowden. What he did was not a crime, we need to protect our whistleblowers, because they're incredibly important in our society.

Lastly, I'll be signing a bill (if Congress doesn't pass it, then an Executive Order) requiring that former Members of Congress wait 3 years after retiring or losing re-election to become a lobbyist. This is just the beginning of our journey to reducing the stranglehold that big business and corporate interests have on our federal government.

Blitzer: Sweeping reform ahead, I see. Now, before you go, Ms. Abrams, if you could tell the American people one thing tonight, what would it be.

Abrams: If I could say one thing to the American people tonight, that would be that this election is the most consequential election in our history. We've got quite a few people running. Rather than give you some sort of cliche slogan or a cringeworthy ad, I'm gonna make a promise to you. I will not back down. Our nominee must be someone that's effective, pragmatic, and knows how to win. I am that person. I hear a lot of people as I travel through the country, some say they want someone that's been in government all of their life, some say they want an outsider. I'm kind of the happy-middle in there. I've never served in Washington, which I think is an accomplishment, if I'm honest. But I have some government experience. We tried an outsider, businessman as president, and we've seen how that's gone. I'm here tonight to ask you for your vote. I look forward to criss-crossing the country meeting many many voters to discuss the issues ahead of us.

I'd also just like to briefly respond to Congressman Moulton, he had a "rebuttal" to me a couple weeks ago that I never had the opportunity to fully address. Clearly, the Congressman wants to attack before discussing solutions. By his logic, the President has to be a genius on every single issue and every topic in the world. I was honest to the American people last night. I told them I had never heard of this other type of nuclear energy. I couldn't immediately decide on the spot if that was the best option. I have to do more research and I'll tell you, since I left the stage that night, I immediately researched thorium. I've discussed with a close friend of mine that I grew up with, who works at a nuclear power plant, and she told me that thorium seems to be the next step. So I'm not hiding behind a curtain after I change my position. He accused me of not answering the question fully. He said that the question was about renewable energy as a whole, it was not, it was about my position on nuclear power, which I just cleared up. But I'll also say that if he wants my position on renewable energy, I'll give it to him. We need to ban fracking and 100% invest in alternate energy sources like nuclear, solar, wind, and geothermal solutions.

Blitzer: Stacey Abrams, always a pleasure to have you on.

Abrams: Thank you for having me on tonight, I really appreciate it.

Blitzer: Glad to have you here with us. And that will be all for tonight. Tune in on Saturday for our interview with US Ambassador to the UN Ivanka Trump.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 11:06:12 AM »
« Edited: February 03, 2020, 02:40:35 PM by Entropy In Action »

LEGISLATION ROUNDUP (EDUCATION)

MICHELLE RHEE CONFIRMATION VOTE*

Aye: 54 (All GOP + Manchin)
Nay: 46
Secretary Rhee confirmed.

SCHOOL CHOICE BILL SENATE VOTE*
Aye: 55 (All "Aye" above + Gillibrand)
Nay: 45
Bill proceeds to House.

SCHOOL CHOICE BILL HOUSE VOTE*
Aye: 206
Nay: 227
Bill fails.

*As usual, if Senators or Representatives would like me to change their votes, please let me know.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 06:57:24 PM »

Election Update 2020

Blitzer: And this week marked by the confirmation of Secretary Michelle Rhee and the subsequent failure of the President's school choice legislation.

Blitzer: That said, tonight we have a very special guest, Governor Steve Bullock of Montana. Governor Bullock, glad to have you on here.

Bullock: Glad to be here, Wolf.

Blitzer: Glad to hear it. Now, you’ve taken a more moderate tack on a number of issues, even drawing praise from the President for pointing out the fiscal irresponsibility of his tax cuts rather than unilaterally declaring it a tax cut for the rich that doesn’t benefit the middle class. What makes you believe this approach will be more viable among both Democratic and general election voters?

Bullock: I believe that, in this divided era, moderate views and approaches are refreshing to most American voters. Sure, you have people on the far left and right who are completely unreceptive to these views, but most Americans, whether Democratic, Republican, or Independent, are tired of Washington's hyperpartisan environment, and would be willing to vote for someone who's going to challenge this environment and bring unity back to the politics of these United States. The goal of my approach is to be the standard-bearer for this movement, and I am confident I can use it to win both the primary and the general election.

Blitzer: The partisan gridlock ends with you, I see. Now, you were viewed as one of the top finishers in CNN’s own Commander-in-Chief Forum earlier this year, according to a recent poll by AP News. What about your message do you think connected with so many voters?

Bullock: I think that my emphasis on unity and getting things done in Washington really resonated with voters. For all of recent memory, our federal government has been a symbol of bureaucratic inefficiency and partisan deadlock, and these perceptions were justified, as the passage of major legislation was a rare phenomenon. This remains true today - the only two major legislative additions made by Trump and Pence were the 2017 tax cuts and the recent infrastructure bill, and the former bill was basically a partisan affair. I believe nearly all Americans have tired of this, so my aim to work with all sides to pass urgently needed and quality legislation is relateable to many. Also, as I mentioned earlier, Americans have tired of the message of divisiveness being spread by the extremes of the Republican and Democratic parties that has become increasingly prominent in recent years.

Blitzer: A good message, given some pundits have spoken openly of civil war. Now, assuming you do win, what would your first 100 days be like?

Bullock: To be completely honest, because of how Congress works, I don't expect to have much passed by the 100-day mark. However, that doesn't mean I won't try. Upon taking office, I will start numerous initiatives, both legislative and otherwise, to ensure that Americans will get the reforms and new laws that they deserve by the end of my term. Firstly, I'll create a Presidential Commission on the environment. Climate change is perhaps the biggest crisis of our time, and as the world's superpower it's our duty to lead the charge in mitigating its effects. The goal of this Presidential Commission will be to evaluate the severity of the problem, both in the United States and globally, as well as the timeline for potential crisis points, like sea level rise. They will also be tasked with advising my administration and Congress with potential solutions, involving both the legislative and executive branches, that could help stop or even reverse its effects on our nation and others. I intend to appoint qualified candidates to the commission, such as professors from America's great universities and experts from both public and private fields. I will also have America re-join the Paris Climate Agreement. Secondly, I'll introduce multiple plans to Congress for consideration. A healthcare plan that creates a quality, low-cost, and optional government healthcare plan based on Medicaid to ensure that all Americans are receiving quality healthcare coverage. New, reasonable, gun control codes to finally bring an end to the age of horrific, heart-wrenching school shootings. Flexible energy subsidy grants to states to advance renewable energy across the nation and end the age of oil for good. And, a tax code that eliminates loopholes and ensures that the rich and corporations pay their fair share. During my first 100 days, I'll work with both sides of Congress and the public to craft and refine these plans, and through this process I hope to have strong, bipartisan plans addressing all these issues by the end of the year.

Blitzer: Brutal honestly better than sweet lies. Now, before you go, Governor, if you could tell the American people one thing tonight, what would it be.

Bullock: I'd like to emphasize the importance of pragmatism. Candidates to both my left and right are proposing aggressive ideas, like Medicare-for-All and drastic tax cuts, that sound revolutionary and appealing on paper. But, more importantly, they don't specify how they're going to support these plans, and where the money may come from. One of my major criticisms of Pence's failed tax plan was that it would require drawing funds from Obamacare, and the larger tax cuts some Republicans have proposed would gut other programs as well. To me, it seems like these tax cuts allow the rich to cheat the government of money while depriving the poor of the healthcare coverage and government aid they need to survive and succeed. On the other side, some of my fellow Democrats have proposed things such as Medicare-for-All, free college, and other plans that are solidly on the left of the political spectrum. While these plans would certainly help many in a vacuum, my colleagues didn't say how they were going to pay for these plans. Raising taxes on the rich can only provide so much money - these expensive projects would require tax hikes on the middle and lower classes, also known as regular Americans. I'm sad to see my fellow candidates ignoring this reality. As I've said before, as President I'll balance the need to control our debt with the need to provide more services for our citizens and the Earth that we live on. Lastly, I'd like to thank Wolf, CNN, and you viewers out there for making this interview possible.

Blitzer: Governor Bullock, always a pleasure to have you on.

Bullock: Likewise, Wolf.

Blitzer: And that will be all for tonight. Tune in on Wednesday for our interview with President Mike Pence.*

*: Due to no response to interview questions (sorry if I forgot to send them; I did write them up), I'm temporarily assuming Ivanka is AFK; if I get some responses, her interview will go forward as planned.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2020, 04:45:53 PM »

BREAKING NEWS
Jones, Merkley named debate winners by plurality of voters.
Pence, Paul tie for second in GOP debate, Klobuchar runner-up in Dem debate

Surveys of 2148 voters (evenly conducted among Democrats and Republicans, with 630 independents) conducted by Gallup found that 44% of Republicans and conservative leaning independents believe InfoWars host Alex Jones won last week's Republican presidential debate, while 28% apiece said Senator Rand Paul and President Mike Pence performed the best. This comes as a surprise, given the fact that Jones, prior to the debate, had only 4% support in the Republican primaries.

Among Democrats and liberal-leaning independents, 35% said they most approved of Senator Jeff Merkley's performance (again a surprise, as Merkley had not previously been doing well in polling, either), followed by those of Senator Amy Klobuchar (28%), Representative Seth Moulton (21%), and Senator Tammy Baldwin (11%). No other candidate was most supported by more than 10% of voters, although no candidate received an approval rating of their debate performance lower than 70%.

OOC: Per this, come Saturday, Messrs Jones and Merkley will receive three additional endorsement credits, and Messrs Pence and Paul, as well as Mrs. Klobuchar, will receive two additional credits. Also, these debates were very close, so don't despair if you didn't do as well as you hoped.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2020, 08:45:19 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2020, 08:58:42 PM by Entropy In Action »

SECOND DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE

Cooper: Good evening. I'm Anderson Cooper, and I'll be moderating this second Democratic presidential debate in Detroit, MI. I'm here with...

...former Georgia State House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams...

...US Senator from Wisconsin Tammy Baldwin...

...US Senator from New Jersey Cory Booker...

...Montana Governor Steve Bullock...

...North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper...

...US Senator from New York Kirsten Gillibrand...

...US Senator from California Kamala Harris...

...US Senator from Minnesota Amy Klobuchar...

...US Senator from Oregon Jeff Merkley...

...US Representative from Massachusetts Seth Moulton...

...billionaire activist Tom Steyer...

...tech entrepreneur Andrew Yang...

...and former TV host Jon Stewart.

Cooper: Candidates will give an opening statement, answer one specific question, and give a closing statement. Responses and statements will be judged on clarity, length, and, of course, votes from the audience and you, the viewers across the nation. So, without further ado, let's start.

Specific Questions

To Ms. Abrams: You've been a proud antagonist of voter suppression since your narrow defeat in the Georgia gubernatorial race last year. As President, how would you take on voter disenfranchisement on a national scale?

To Senator Baldwin: Unlike many of the candidates on this stage, you have openly voiced support for Medicare for All as Senator Bernie Sanders originally envisioned it. Why do you think it is the best system for the American people?

To Senator Booker: Both you and Ms. Abrams have been endorsed by prominent members and organizations from the African-American community. What makes you think you would be the better President for black America?

To Governor Bullock: You said in a recent interview with CNN that you would attempt to pass common sense gun reform in your first year in office. However, despite widespread support for such a measure, the Republicans have blocked every attempt by past Presidents to do so. What makes you think it will be different for you?

To Governor Cooper: As Governor of a key swing state, you have a unique insight into the eyes of critical general election voters. What do you believe North Carolinians think of the President's proposed legislation?

To Senator Gillibrand: You've already released numerous plans detailing your presidential platform. Many previous presidential candidates have been less willing to do so, for fear of their plans coming under attack from members of their own or other parties. What makes you more confident in the platform you're laying out?

To Senator Harris: You have been described as "the next Obama," despite the fact that the original Obama is now supporting Senator Booker. Why do you believe the media often casts you in that light, anyway?

To Senator Klobuchar: You and Senator Baldwin are Senators from neighboring states, yet you've been running almost on opposite sides of the field to each other. Why do you think a more moderate approach is better for the nation?

To Senator Merkley: You've stated that you believe that a strategy that works more to motivate the party base will win back the White House from the Republicans. What do you say to those who want to tack more to the middle to win back swing voters?

To Representative Moulton: You're running well ahead of your competition among veterans. Do you attribute this to your own military service, or is there something else you think they see in you?

To Mr. Steyer: The President has commonly referred to you as the "Democratic Koch," and you have responded that he is "afraid of your progressive movement." Do you believe your vast personal wealth is part of the cause of that fear?

To Mr. Yang: Your hallmark proposal has been a $1000 a month universal basic income. At $12000 a year per adult American citizen, this would cost more than $2.5 trillion. How do you intend to pay for such a program?

To Mr. Stewart: Your campaign slogan is "Stoned Slackers Unite!" As a result, many believe you're not taking this campaign seriously. Are you trying to win, or simply trying to drum up support for a cause?
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2020, 08:55:18 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2020, 11:53:07 AM by Entropy In Action »

SECOND REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE

Ingraham: Good evening. I'm Laura Ingraham, and I'll be moderating this second Republican presidential debate in Duluth, MN. I'm here with...

...InfoWars host Alex Jones...

...US Senator from Kentucky Rand Paul...

...US Representative from Ohio Jim Jordan...

...conservative commentator Ben Shapiro...

...US Ambassador to the United Nations Ivanka Trump...

...and President Mike Pence.

Ingraham: Candidates will give an opening statement, answer one specific question, and give a closing statement. Responses and statements will be judged on clarity, length, and, of course, votes from the audience and you, the viewers across the nation. So, without further ado, let's start.

Specific Questions

To Mr. Jones: Breitbart managing editor Wynton Hall referred to you as "the logical successor to Donald Trump" following your standout debate performance last month in Albuquerque. Would you say you agree with this statement, and, if so, why you and not President Pence?

To Senator Paul: The President has attacked you regularly on the three government programs you used as examples of useless spending that should be cut. Are there any more significant agencies you would dispose of as President?

To Congressman Jordan: You were one of President Trump's most ardent supporters when he was in office; why, then, do you feel that President Pence is worth defeating in the primaries?

To Mr. Shapiro: As an orthodox Jew, do you feel concerned by the rise of anti-Semitism among conservatives in the past few years?

To Ambassador Trump: You chose not to take a position on the President's tax plan. Will you remain similarly neutral on his new legislation, and, if not, are you for or against it?

To President Pence: Your recent legislation on charter schools failed in the House despite being passed with the support of Senator Kirsten Gillibrand in the other chamber. Why do you believe that the bill failed despite this bipartisan support?
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2020, 09:33:41 PM »

Election Update 2020
with your hosts, Tucker Carlson and Mark Levin

Carlson: Good evening. I'm Tucker Carlson.

Levin: And I'm Mark Levin. And this is your first Fox News election update.

Carlson: And this week marked by active campaigning by numerous candidates across the early states, as well as Senator Gillibrand's release of a new slogan: "Kirsten has a plan for that."

Levin: Many other news stories, as well, which you can check up on at foxnews.com.

Carlson: Numerous endorsements also flying, with almost all candidates receiving at least one.

Carlson: That said, tonight we have a very special guest, the President of the United States, Mike Pence. President Pence, glad to have you on here.

Pence: Glad to be here, Tucker.

Carlson: Glad to hear it, Mr. President. Now, you’ve had quite the time with Congress these past few months, with both successes and failures. What do you believe is to blame for the defeat of some of your relatively popular legislation?

Pence: Well, it was indeed quite a time, and I just want to point out that basically every piece of legislation that I proposed was liked by the American people. They thought that I was proposing very needed changes that would solve the issues of our time, or at least make progress towards solving them. The defeats of the tax reform bill and school choice bill, since I think that you are talking about them, had multiple causes. I have seen one of the biggest efforts in my lifetime for the defeat of the tax reform bill. This efforts were made by the DC swamp that has been fighting bills in favor of the people for decades. They were so opposed to this bill for three main reasons: 1. It was eliminating the carried interest loophole and it started the process of closing up all other loopholes from which they, despite their socialist rhetoric, have saved a lot of money, 2. The tax cuts were basically a guarantee of cuts happening in the bloated government bureaucracy where they all have their interests, their allies. It's quite horrible what's happening there and 3. They didn't want me to succeed. They know that I have been fighting them for my entire political career and didn't want to give me a victory, but ultimately they denied the people a victory. The actions taken by the corrupt Democratic Koch for example were so blatantly illegal that he should be in jail for them. The Senate traitors didn't help either. However, my Administration isn't abandoning tax reform. We will propose a new version in January, hopefully the lobbying reforms made the swamp weaker and we will be able to pass this badly needed bill. Now, the school choice act failing had a more simple cause: DC politicians losing their touch with the country, not knowing the disaster happening in public schools and sticking to party lines as if the solutions of 20 years ago can work now. They can't, and school choice is a reform without which the education system will probably collapse by 2030. We can't allow that, and we will get school choice done.

Carlson: An important line with public schools producing lower and lower test scores in comparison to other Western nations'. Now, some agitators on the left have called for your impeachment. Do you believe the House will proceed with such efforts, despite your having committed no apparent crime?

Pence: Look, this request is such a joke that I can't help but laugh at it. They have no clue on what grounds to even impeach me for, as I have done nothing illegal, unlike the Democratic Koch. In fact, I have done more for working people in my first months than years of Democratic Administrations did. And I think that even Speaker Pelosi knows that an impeachment for no reason will do them no favor with the people and will avoid it. However, let's think about it for a second. I am a Republican president passing a common sense agenda helping everyone, whether Democrat or Republican or Independent. But the leftists can't accept that just because my party color is red and are trying to impeach me. It's telling a lot about how far partisanship went in this country.

Carlson: Truly a ridiculous idea, impeachment. Now, Senators Paul and Portman, two of your strongest primary challengers (one now having suspended his campaign, of course), are both up for re-election in 2022. If you are the nominee and they fall back in line behind you, would you endorse their bids?

Pence: It is probably too soon to say. If they are the Republican nominees I will endorse them, if reluctantly, to help stop some socialist from taking over their seats, however I will not under any circumstances endorse them in the primaries, because they have shown themselves as traitors to America and their constituents, and I will carefully consider their primary opponents. If among them is one that will help me fight the swamp and bring back prosperity, I will absolutely endorse him over this swampist Senators.

Carlson: Actions always have consequences. Now, before you go, Mr. President, if you could tell the American people one thing tonight, what would it be.

Pence: My fellow Americans, I am one of you. I know your problems and I know what you want from your government. And I will fight for you to have the government that you deserve. A government not controlled by the swamp, which is able to offer its citizens the best public services in an effective way, which doesn't stand in the way of prosperity with unnecessary regulations but fights to bring prosperity to our shores, which can make the tax code fairer, the healthcare system more affordable, more quality in education and a shift in foreign policy to put America first. If you want this changes to happen, I invite you to support me. If you want variations of the status quo or worse versions of it, that's what all the others are proposing. This are your options, what will you choose for America? God bless you, and good night.

Carlson: Mr. President, always a pleasure to have you with us.

Pence: Likewise, Tucker.

Carlson: And that will be all for tonight. Tune in on Friday for our interview with Senator Amy Klobuchar.

Carlson: Until then, I'm Tucker Carlson.

Levin: And I'm Mark Levin.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2020, 09:42:53 PM »

Election Update 2020
with your hosts, Tucker Carlson and Mark Levin

Carlson: Good evening. I'm Tucker Carlson.

Levin: And I'm Mark Levin. And this is your election update.

Carlson: This week marked by the second debate for both parties. The Democratic one took place in Detroit, MI, while the Republicans faced off in Duluth, MN; each state is viewed as a prime pickup opportunity in 2020.

Levin: Many other news stories, as well, which you can check up on at foxnews.com.

Carlson: That said, tonight we have a special guest, Senator Amy Klobuchar. Senator, how are you tonight?

Klobuchar: It's great to be here, Tucker.

Carlson: Glad to hear it, Senator. Now, several polls have given you an early lead in Iowa. Do you believe a win there would boost you from your current fifth place showing nationally?

Klobuchar: Look it’s great to have such momentum in the Hawkeye State, our campaign of, by, and for the people, has been in full throttle here in Iowa as you’ve seen and we’re immensely proud to be getting the amount of support and endorsements we’ve received so far. As one of the few candidates that embarked on a 99-county tour across the state accompanied by Congressman Loebsack, Senator Harkin, and Vice President Biden, I’ve seen our message of uniting the country and ensuring that we nominate someone that cannot only win but work, resound with many Iowans across the state as I’m sure you can see in the polls. I’m confident we can permeate this promise of hope and pragmatic progress across the country and a win here in the Heartland would not only show but awaken the rest of the country to the strength and ideals of our campaign. While the level of support is not seen throughout the country, the race is just beginning and once we are able to effectively expand our message throughout all fifty states, I’m confident that our campaign will grow stronger than ever.

Carlson: Not a campaign for the liberal elites, that's for sure. Now, you’ve stated in your green energy plan that you intend to bring high-speed Internet to the entire country. Would this include reinstating net neutrality laws on a national level?

Klobuchar: Of course it would, I’ve been a firm supporter of protecting and promoting net neutrality laws and one way we can do this is by using federal contracting requirements to encourage broadband providers to honor net neutrality principle and promote a free and open internet. It’s also why I am a firm supporter and co-sponsor of the Save the Internet Act, ending net neutrality hurts consumers, small businesses and rural communities. That’s why I’ve joined Senator Markey and other Senate Democrats to introduce this important piece of legislation and it will definitely be part of our fight to connect every household to the internet by 2022 and to enact an executive order that would launch government-wide cybersecurity initiatives, including election security.

Carlson: Cybersecurity becoming ever more important in a world full of disruptive foreign powers. So, then, if you do become President, what would your first 100 days be like?

Klobuchar: The problems Americans are facing every single day require urgent action. That’s why I have a comprehensive plan to get to work and deliver results on Day One through executive action. I will begin to immediately deliver an ambitious, optimistic agenda that will build a safer world, a stronger democracy, and a fairer economy while taking much-needed action on health care, climate change, and immigration. After four years of a Republican White House, a new President can’t wait for Congress. During the first 100 days of my presidency I will get the United States back in the International Climate Agreement, working so that the United States maintains global leadership to address the climate crisis, I will immediately suspend all efforts — both in federal court and at the Department of Health and Human Services — that would allow insurance companies to deny coverage to people with pre-existing conditions, I will immediately allow for the safe importation of prescription drugs from countries like Canada. Americans pay double what Canadians do for some prescription drugs, which is why I will use existing FDA  authority to grant a waiver that allows people to import safe prescription drugs for personal use from countries like Canada to decrease drug costs for seniors and all Americans. I will restore the federal government’s longstanding position of challenging intentionally racially discriminatory voting laws. I will jump-start negotiations for comprehensive immigration reform — which includes a pathway to citizenship, protecting and expanding the DREAM Act and border security. With these concrete steps, we will put our country back on a path of progress where people have an opportunity to get ahead.

Carlson: A stance Ms. Abrams would no doubt approve of. Now, before you go, Senator, if you could tell the American people one thing tonight, what would it be.

Klobuchar: If I could tell the American people one thing, it would be who I am and what my campaign is all about. I’m someone that has fought her entire life to work diligently and bi-partisanly to move our country forward and united, that’s something I can do if elected President of the United States. I’ve shown up for my home, the Heartland of America, that’s why I’ve won both rural and urban counties, that’s why I’ve won both red and blue areas, and that’s why I’m running for President, to bring this country forward and finally make the progress I have been making since day one of my time in the Senate. I didn’t come from a family of billionaires, my grandfather was a iron ore miner and just like the rest of America I had to work hard to get to where I am now. That is the story of the United States, this bold experiment, that if you want to come here and have a good life you have to work for it but nowadays it’s getting harder and harder to do that. With your support, we can make sure that everyone has equal opportunities and bright futures.

Carlson: Senator, always a pleasure to have you with us.

Klobuchar: Thank you for having me.

Carlson: And that will be all for tonight. Tune in on Sunday for our interview with Senator Rand Paul.

Carlson: Until then, I'm Tucker Carlson.

Levin: And I'm Mark Levin.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2020, 08:39:00 AM »

So I have to do a thing at school today, so the credits/endorsements/polling update will be up later (probably the afternoon).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies