Death of the Stag - ASOIAF Game - Sign Up and OOC Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Death of the Stag - ASOIAF Game - Sign Up and OOC Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Death of the Stag - ASOIAF Game - Sign Up and OOC Thread  (Read 6035 times)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2020, 02:55:54 PM »

I've rolled the dice and processed the turn. Everything is up now.

I won't hold up the turn, but we can't move forward until we get a Dornish player.

Shouldn't Berric be with the Brotherhood without Banners? Not at Blackhaven?

His timeline is not clear, at least to me. I believe that sometime between the Tourney for Ned becoming Hand and the Clash of Kings starting he joins the Brotherhood. I chose to, in my GM creative license, to have him still be Lord of Blackhaven at this point.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2020, 03:06:55 PM »

I won't hold up the turn, but we can't move forward until we get a Dornish player.

His timeline is not clear, at least to me. I believe that sometime between the Tourney for Ned becoming Hand and the Clash of Kings starting he joins the Brotherhood. I chose to, in my GM creative license, to have him still be Lord of Blackhaven at this point.

Beric is sent by Ned to arrest the Mountain after the Tourney of the Hand and many of the former members of  said expedition were killed at the Battle of the Mummers Ford (The battle where Beric originally dies) so wouldn't that mean that Beric should be in the Riverlands? It wouldn't really matter as the only difference is that he isn't surrendering the castle instead it's his Castellan.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2020, 03:11:45 PM »

Beric is sent by Ned to arrest the Mountain after the Tourney of the Hand and many of the former members of  said expedition were killed at the Battle of the Mummers Ford (The battle where Beric originally dies) so wouldn't that mean that Beric should be in the Riverlands? It wouldn't really matter as the only difference is that he isn't surrendering the castle instead it's his Castellan.

While I feel it is a very small matter, I did go and change it to be the Castellan bending the knee.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2020, 03:32:15 PM »

I will have to withdraw as well. I'm way too busy irl to be active enough. Good luck everyone!
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2020, 03:36:09 PM »

I will have to withdraw as well. I'm way too busy irl to be active enough. Good luck everyone!

Sorry to see you go.

There is no way we can move forward until we have both a Prince Doran and a Mace Tyrell.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2020, 11:03:03 AM »

I have not watched a single episode of Game of Thrones, the HBO show

Lucky man. The Gods know how many hours I ultimately wasted there.

Balon Greyjoy, please.

The show was great for so long though. Just sucks about the ending.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2020, 01:42:21 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2020, 01:46:08 PM by Kingpoleon »

I have gone through and processed all the PMs I've received.

Wow. Interesting turn. I think some players failed to communicate with each other, which has led to some potentially serious complications. I will roll the dice and write up as soon as I can.

Not for lack of effort lol

Um, yes for lack of effort. I have half a mind to quit!

Did you really think Edmure could give a nice speech and make a coup? And, you know, not tell me, your ally?! This is the greatest set of missteps and mistakes I have ever seen. In the future, I intend to command our army with your consultation as a whole - we cannot be two heads, assuming leadership whenever we see fit. It plainly will not work, and you may have cost us the war.

I said, “Don’t attack the Reach, they seem to be staying unofficially neutral.” You attacked them. I said,
“The Westerlands are a distraction, don’t attack them.” You attacked them. I said, “The Vale is with us.” You attacked them. I’m surprised at this point you didn’t just cut off Ned Stark’s head yourself.

If you don’t like that, I can quit and you can run this war on your own. I’m tempted to anyway - every thing you did, you did without telling me, often needlessly defying me, losing men left and right. Please don’t do this again. I’ll try and fix all these messes you just made, but don’t do it again.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2020, 12:26:02 AM »

This was probably better suited as a PM.

You never said the Vale was with us. You sent me what you said we're your orders, it was like 6 sentences. You sent your heir AND THEON to Bolton. Lollerskates

Your entire first move was to do nothing, the Lannisters invaded and you left all of your combat to NPCs.

I assumed Lysa wasn't going to join us because I was told she wasn't at all likely(and canon), and was given GM assurance of Bronze Yohns backing.

The speech was to make sure no one murdered Edmure after and during the coup. In hindsight I should have just done the coup and then asked for clemency from the lords afterwards but hindsight 20/20.

Your strategy for the Riverlands was "don't do anything and just wait to be molested by Lannisters and their allies"

Fat chance ser, fat chance.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2020, 12:32:36 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2020, 12:38:37 AM by leonardothered »

You sent me your orders after id already sent orders ffs

You made major mistakes the first turn due to inaction. I made major mistakes this turn due to overzealousness this turn, and due to shoddy communication. Let's just call it even and continue
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2020, 11:02:27 AM »

You sent me your orders after id already sent orders ffs

You made major mistakes the first turn due to inaction. I made major mistakes this turn due to overzealousness this turn, and due to shoddy communication. Let's just call it even and continue
If only we would have both sent each other our orders....
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #135 on: May 19, 2020, 12:47:51 PM »

Players are allowed, welcome, and encouraged to continue to plan and plot and post IC if they wish. We cannot, however, end the turn or process any moves until we find new players for Martell and Dorne, preferably in that order.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2020, 10:02:49 PM »

Martell IS Dorne Wink
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2020, 08:42:06 AM »

Of course I meant Tyrell and Dorne.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #138 on: May 20, 2020, 09:50:23 AM »

Yeah I was just bein catty Wink
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2020, 09:13:26 PM »

I'm gonna go ahead and say we need an alternative solution or get a bit more aggressive with recruitment at this crucial stage
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2020, 11:05:54 AM »

I'm gonna go ahead and say we need an alternative solution or get a bit more aggressive with recruitment at this crucial stage

I'm all ears to hear what an alternate solution may be. I have sent a few PMs out asking players from other ASOIAF games but have not found any one yet.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2020, 02:50:34 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2020, 02:53:48 PM by DKrol »

This isn't the perfect place to the post this but, with the game on pause as we search for new players, I've put my ASOIAF creative juices to work creating a bit of FanFic around Robert's Rebellion failing/being defeated and Rhaegar sitting on the Iron Throne. I thought you all might enjoy reading it while we wait.

The Reign of King Rhaegar I Targaryen - Part I
285 AC - 324 AC

It has been said that the reign of King Rhaegar I began at the Battle of the Trident despite the crown not being awarded then. The Battle of the Trident was the largest battle seen in the Seven Kingdoms since the Blackfyre Rebellions; the fate of the Targaryen Dynasty was on the line. Prince Rhaegar commanded a large host, having led a sizable force up from Dorne, picking up support from the loyal houses of the Crownlands, Riverlands, Reach, and Vale along the way. Lord Robert Baratheon of Storm’s End had mustered all his forces to the Trident, hoping to deliver the death-blow to his rival and complete his usurpation.

The Battle was hard fought by both sides, despite the Loyalist host being larger and better armed. The Rebels had spent months honing their battle skills and were fueled by the passions of madmen. The first victory went to the Rebels when Ser Lyn Corbray slew Prince Lewyn Martell of Dorne. Ser Barristan Selmy of the Kingsguard fought valiantly, slaying several men on his own and commanding a group of freeriders. As the sun began to set over the Trident, the Battle boiled down to the essence of the entire rebellion - Prince Rhaegar against Lord Robert in a single-combat. Witnesses recount that the Prince and the Rebel rode at each other several times, with Robert’s warhammer denting the Prince’s armour and the Prince’s sword leaving deep gashes across Robert’s. When Robert was blinded by the setting sun reflecting off the waters of the Trident, Prince Rhaegar made his move. One swing of his sword sent the rebel lord crashing to the ground. The Kingsguard assembled around the Crown Prince as he finished the deed.

The other robel lords threw down their swords, seeing the fate their leader suffered. Lord Jon Arryn of the Vale and Lord Hoster Tully bent the knee to Prince Rhaegar, with their bannermen going down behind them. Lord Eddard Stark, however, stood. The Kingsguard present, Ser Barristan and Ser Jonothor Darry, prepared to defend their Crown Prince from the Lord Paramount. Prince Rhaegar and Lord Eddard spoke for several minutes, with Lord Stark demanding his sister, Lyanna, be returned to the North. Prince Rhaegar professed his love for Lyanna and rejected the rebel claim that he had kidnapped the Northern woman. To settle the dispute once and for all, Prince Rhaegar told Lord Eddard where Lyanna was - the Tower of Joy, in Dorne - and said that if he could retrieve her, the Crown Prince would see it as a sign from The Seven and allow her to return to Winterfell, despite being heart broken.

Lord Stark tried to rally six others to join him in the ride to the Tower of Joy but found himself hard pressed. In the end, the Lord of Winterfell could only find four to ride with him - Ethan Glover, Martyn Cassel, Theo Wull, and Ser Mark Ryswell. After several days of hard riding, the Northmen found the Tower of Joy guarded by Lord Commander Gerold Hightower, Ser Arthur Dayne, and Ser Oswell Whent, three of the finest knights in the Seven Kingdoms. For over an hour, the clash of steel rang over the Red Mountains of Dorne. Men on both sides fell nobly, fighting for their cause, but it ended, like the Battle of the Trident, in a single-combat. Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, and Lord Eddard Stark. And it was the Sword of the Morning that slew the direwolf.

With Robert Baratheon, the instigator, and Eddard Stark, the supporter, both dead, the remaining rebel houses quickly threw down their swords and bent the knee. Lord Stannis Baratheon, brother of Robert, held out in the great fortress of Storm’s End, believing it's great walls could hold. An army from the Westerlands, commanded by Lord Tywin Lannister, arrived outside Storm’s End after news of Prince Rhaegar’s victory at the Trident was known and joined with the Reach forces under Lord Mace Tyrell. This host, despite outnumbering the forces inside Storm’s End four or five-to-one, made no moves to take the castle. Instead they camped near the walls and ensured no support would reach the castle while the Redwyne fleet made sure no supplies arrived from the sea. It took over a year but the forces inside Storm’s End turned on Lord Stannis, taking him captive in the early days of 284 AC; Ser Gawen Wylde presented the Baratheon to Lords Lannister and Tyrell and bent the knee.

Prince Rhaegar then turned his attention on securing the peace of the realm. The head of House Stark fell to Robb, only a year old when Storm’s End fell and living in Riverrun with his mother. As a show of fealty, the young Stark would be fostered in King’s Landing by Prince Rhaegar. Renly Baratheon, Lord of Storm’s End by rights, was taken on as a squire for the Crown Prince at the age of seven. Prince Rhaegar installed Benjen Stark as Regent of the North, until Robb came of age and could rule on his own. For the Stormlands, the Crown Prince brought Lord Jon Connington back from the Free Cities and named him Lord of Storm’s End, stripping House Baratheon of their seat as punishment for leading the rebellion. Lord Jon Arryn avoided punishment and was allowed to return to the Eyrie after bending the knee and pledging fealty to the Crown, sending his heir, the baby Harrold Hardyng, to King’s Landing to be raised.

Hoster Tully perhaps suffered the most, although not directly due to his rule in the rebellion. Prince Rhaegar saw the need to reward his most loyal bannermen for their support. To do so, he declared that House Darry would be the Lords Paramount of the Trident henceforth. To compensate Hoster for the loss of the prestige, Prince Rhaegar declared that Edmure Tully would wed Princess Rhaenys once the girl was of age. Although Lord Hoster’s daughter, Catelyn, urged him to reject the offer, the Lord of Riverrun was still healing serious wounds from the Battle of the Bells and accepted the arrangement in order to avoid further suffering.

After spending several months securing the peace of the realm, Prince Rhaegar finally returned to King’s Landing as 284 AC was turning into 285 AC. His father, King Aerys II, greeted his son upon the Iron Throne with contempt in his eyes. King Aerys had suspected that his son had been plotting against him for several years and ordered Ser Jaime Lannister of the Kingsguard to arrest the Crown Prince. When Ser Jaime took his first step toward Prince Rhaegar, Ser Barristan Selmy launched forward and disarmed the knight half his age with ease. It was then that King Aerys saw his fears proven true; Lord Tywin Lannister, Ser Jonothor Darry, Lord Mace Tyrell, Oberyn Martell, and Lord Jon Connington joined Prince Rhaegar in the throne room and demanded that King Aerys abdicate the Iron Throne and allow Prince Rhaegar to rule.

The Mad King flew into a fury of rage, calling for his pyromancer Rossart to set off the wildfire and burn the capital to the ground. Ser Barristan lept into action and took King Aerys into his custody. Lord Tywin called on Prince Rhaegar to behead his father immediately. But Prince Rhaegar believed it better to give the King a trial. The Mad King demanded a Trial of Seven. Prince Rhaegar summoned his champions: Lord Tywin, Ser Jonothor, Lord Mace, Lord Jon, Oberyn, and Ser Barristan. When Aerys called for his champions, no one answered. Seeing this as the will of the Gods, Prince Rhaegar administered the justice and sat on the Iron Throne for the first time, beginning his formal rule in 285 AC.

The first matter for King Rhaegar to decide was the issue of his split love. He was wed to Ellia of Dorne, the mother of his two children, but he was also deeply in love with Lyanna Stark, the Woman Who Started a Rebellion, as the singers took to calling her. Following the Dornish custom of his wife, King Rhaegar took Lyanna as his Paramour, giving her a household and a set of apartments in the Red Keep. Lyanna would give birth to three children by King Rhaegar: a son, named Osric, in 286 AC, a daughter, Alysanne, in 289 AC, and a second son, Rickard, in 293 AC. Queen Ellia birthed a third child as well, Prince Jaehaerys, in 287 AC. The children were raised together, along with Princess Daenerys, King Rhaegar’s sister who was born during their father’s final days on the Iron Throne. King Rhaegar, fearing a repeat of the Dance of the Dragons, decreed that Lyanna’s children would have no rights to claim the Iron Throne or any inheritance shortly after Osric was born.

While the Southron realms maintained the King’s Peace after the failed rebellion, the North and the Vale continued to stir dissent. Lord Benjen Stark called his banners in 286 AC, rallying his bannermen to march on King’s Landing to protect the honor of Lyanna’s children after the birth of Osric. King Rhaegar rode to meet Lord Stark in the field of battle, joined by his Hand, Oberyn Martell, and Lord Commander Barristan Selmy. Lord Benjen’s bannermen lost their nerve at the sight of the King and his host and turned on the Starks before the battle began. For his actions against the Iron Throne, Benjen Stark lost his head and the Starks in the North went extinct. The Starks would go extinct in the male line in 290 AC when Robb was fatally wounded in an unfortunate training accident in King’s Landing. This, however, allowed King Rhaegar to name his son, Osric, Lord of Winterfell, with Lord Jorah Mormont of Bear Island serving as Regent of the North during his youth.

Lord Jon Arryn was greatly concerned over the death of young Robb Stark, having adopted a fatherly role towards the boy after Eddard Stark’s death, sending the boy gifts and letters and sending large sums of coin for his care. The coincidence of Robb suffering a wound which was allowed to fester in King’s Landing, home of the Grand Maester and the High Septon, seemed to be too far of a stretch for Lord Arryn. The day after the news of Robb’s death reached the Eyrie, Lord Arryn left the Vale for the first time in six years. He was accompanied by Lord Yohn Royce and Lord Lyonel Corbay, as well as a handful of landed knights, as he rode to King’s Landing. King Rhaegar welcomed the Valemen into the capital and heard Lord Arryn’s concerns with Robb’s death. The Kind dismissed Arryn’s worries as no more than conspiracy and tried to send the Valemen on their way. Jon Arryn refused to leave without speaking to Harrold Hardyng, his heir who was being supposed to be raised in King’s Landing under the King’s supervision. The King informed Lord Arryn that the boy had been moved to Casterly Rock, to learn more about the different realms of the Seven Kingdoms, and would not return to King’s Landing for another year. Lord Jon Arryn, normally a calm and reserved man, was unable to maintain his composure at the thought of his heir being groomed by the Lannisters and lashed out at the King. Ser Arthur Dayne of the Kingsguard arrested Lord Arryn and the other Valemen, King Rhaegar sent them all to the dungeons of the Red Keep and raised young Hardyng to Lord of the Eyrie, with Lord Gerold Grafton as Regent. Despite a few uprisings in the Vale, Lord Grafton is able to keep the King’s Peace.

With the Seven Kingdoms finally in some state of order, King Rhaegar was able to think of other matters. In 295 AC, King Rhaegar rallied his banners and announced plans to conquer the Stepstones and add them to the Seven Kingdoms, citing the dangers posed by the pirates that called the islands home and the Tyroshi’s inability to rout out the pirates. King Rhaegar led his forces into Dorne, where they rallied in Lemonwood before setting sail under the command of Prince Viserys, Lord Paxter Redwyne, and Oberyn Martell. With his forces in the Stepstones, King Rhaegar effectively moved his court to Sunspear for the duration of the campaign, allowing him to receive updates from the front quickly and allowing Queen Ellia some respite with her family. The War for the Stepstones lasted two years, but, in 297 AC King Rhaegar was able to process through the streets of Tyrosh and name Alyn Stoughton, a Tyroshi merchant who helped win the city for the Targaryen King, the first Lord of Tyrosh, Protector of the Stepstones, and Guardian of the Narrow Sea. King Rhaegar returned to King’s Landing in 298 AC to a heroes welcome, with throngs of smallfolk coming out to greet him and receive the heroes of the war. Notable dead from the war include Prince Viserys and Ser Jaime Lannister.

By this point in his reign, King Rhaegar believed he could feel a chill descending on the Eight Kingdoms and began to prepare for winter. After a passionate plea from Lord Commander Jeor Mormont, King Rhaegar rallied the nobility and the smallfolk to bolster the number of the Black Brothers. Notable recruits from the efforts of King Rhaegar and Lord Commander Mormont include sons of House Allyrion, Drinkwater, Errol, Fossoway, Payne, Plumm, and Mallister, as well as many smallfolk. In total some 3,000 men headed North for the Night’s Watch in 298 AC, tripling their numbers in a single year, although many got cold feet and abandoned their pledge before taking their vows.

The marriage of Princess Rhaenys to Lord Edmure Tully in 300 AC proved a joyous moment for the Seven Kingdoms. The Princess was a woman of twenty years, educated in the court of King’s Landing and beautiful in both the Dornish and Valyrian ways. Lord Edmure had ascended to the Lordship of Riverrun two years prior, after he earned renown for his role in the War for the Stepstones. The wedding took place in the Great Sept of Baelor and rivaled the King’s own wedding in splendor. The King was blessed with his first grandchild, a boy, before the end of the year - Prentys Tully.

Crown Prince Aegon also married in 300 AC, although his wedding brought tragedy to the Kingdoms. The Crown Prince, a brash and bold young warrior, was wed to Margaery Rowan, daughter of Lord Mathis Rowan of Goldengrove, in a ceremony at the Sept of Highgarden. Lord Tyrion Lannister, the Imp of Casterly Rock, had been in the cups before the ceremony started, and well after, to the notice of all present. When Prince Aegon tried to speak to the Western Lord about his behavior, Tyrion grew enraged and threatened the Prince as well as mocking his new bride’s chastity. When the Kingsguard moved to handle the situation, Lord Tyrion demanded a trial by combat. Prince Aegon gladly ascended that request over his father’s protestations and readied his blade, only to find that Tyrion had named Ser Gregor Clegane as his champion. The Crown Prince tried to back out of the fight then, arguing that he had agreed to fight Lord Tyrion, not the Mountain That Rides, but the King held firm in the administration of justice with great sadness. Although over 40 years old, Clegane used his massive size to his great advantage and simply overpowered the Crown Prince, hacking his body to pieces after the battle had ended.

King Rhaegar spent the rest of 300 AC in mourning, dressing in black and leaving much of the governing of the realm to his new Hand, Lord Orton Merryweather. It was Lord Merryweather who rallied the banners when Lord Balon Greyjoy declared himself King of the Iron Islands and led reaving missions into the Riverlands. Lord Paxter Redwyne again proved critical, leading the fleet to the Iron Islands and blockading them in. Unfortunately, the Iron Fleet was already out at sea when the blockade was established and, when the Iron Fleet returned, smashed the Redwyne fleet. Lord Merryweather sent urgent ravens to Casterly Rock, begging Lord Tyrion to raise the fleet at Lannisport, but the calls fell on deaf ears. It took several days for the fleet from King’s Landing, commanded by Master of Ships Monford Velaryon, to arrive in the Iron Islands, beating down the Ironborn and securing their fealty again. When Lord Merryweather informed King Rhaegar how many additional men died because Lord Lannister refused to send the fleet from Lannisport, the King flew into a rage and immediately rode to Casterly Rock, only to find the Lion’s Mouth closed to the royal banners.

The King’s anger grew even more at the slight. Having travelled only with the Kingsguard, his sons, Osric and Jaehaerys, Lord Merryweather, Ser Renly Baratheon, and a handful of courtiers, the King was in no position to siege the keep. Instead, after speaking with Varys, the King ordered explosive charges to be placed in the many caverns and pockmarks in the cliff that Casterly Rock sits upon. With the charges being placed overnight, King Rhaegar rode to the Lion’s Mouth once more and, again, found the gates closed to the royal banners. As the royal party began the journey back to King’s Landing and Casterly Rock came to life for the day, the charges were detonated. Reports of the massive earthquake were recorded as far away as Highgarden. The King and his party watched as the fissures spread and sheets of earth cleaved away, sloughing into the Sunset Sea. The royal party rested for a fortnight in Crakehall, feasting and hunting in the great forest nearby. Before returning to King’s Landing, King Rhaegar named House Crakehall as the Lords Paramount of the Westerlands and Wardens of the West.

In 303 AC, King Rhaegar announced a bold proposal. Distraught over the fact that The Citadel in Old Town was the only center for learning and knowledge in the Eight Kingdoms, the King pledged to build a university in King’s Landing, to educate the highborn in arts, culture, warfare, history, and language. The King ordered the destruction of the former Dragonpit to free up the space for the site of the new structure. A cache of wildfire, placed by Wisdom Rossart and King Aerys II, was found underneath the Dragonpit. The cache was carefully relocated by the Alchemists’ Guild and the project went ahead, with King Rhaegar laying the cornerstone in 304 AC. It took several years to build, but the university, christened as The King’s College, was completed in 310 AC. A great tourney and festival were held to commemorate the moment, with Ser Loras Tyrell winning the joust, Duston Waters, a bastard from the Crownlands, winning the mele, and Princess Daenarys being named the Queen of Love and Beauty. The first class of students at The King’s College counted Lord Osric and Prince Jaehaerys Targaryen, Ser Renly Baratheon, Russell Merryweather, and Trystane Martell among its members.

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2020, 02:53:29 PM »

The Reign of King Rhaegar I Targaryen - Part II
285 AC - 324 AC

King Rhaegar showed signs of aging rapidly, with the many stresses of his life weighing heavily on him. By his 60th name day, in 319 AC, the King had trouble rising from the Iron Throne and his vision began to fade. While the Hand of the King, Ser Renly Baratheon, made preparations for a celebration, the King brought his family together to discuss the matters of preparing for his eventual death. His three children from Lyanna, Lord Osric, Alysanne, and Rickard, were already married to others and ready to move on from King’s Landing. Lord Osric moved to Winterfell with his wife, Jeyne Umber, while Rickard and his wife, Gwyneth Yronwood, moved their family to Dorne and Alysanne joined her husband, Lord Stoughton, in Tyrosh. Lyanna herself passed away in her sleep later that year.

The King’s children by Queen Ellia needed more preparations, as they would be charged with ruling the realm. Crown Prince Jaehaerys had wed Eleanor Mooton of Maidenpool and had two sons of his own, Princes Aegon and Daeron, living on Dragonstone since finishing his studies at The King’s College. Princess Rhaenys had been living in Riverrun with Lord Edmure for almost 20 years with five children of her own: Prentys, Rhaegar, Catelyn, Hoster, and Willem. King Rhaegar recalled Prince Jaehaerys to King’s Landing to join him on the Small Council and learn the burden of governing. King Rhaegar named Lord Edmure as his Hand, the fifth of his reign, to ensure that Princess Rhaenys would be close to her brother, to provide comfort and support, and to keep the dragons together. Queen Ellia retired to Sunspear in 321 AC to live out her life with her niece, Princess Arianne, away from the pressures of the court.

The King hoped the final years of his reign would be calm and peaceful, helping to promote a smooth and peaceful transition of power. This proved a folly in 320 AC when a raven arrived from the Citadel that winter had finally come after a long autumn. After such a long summer, the realm was prepared for a harsh and bitter winter. Lord Osric Targaryen led the Northern banners through the North to collect the smallfolk and move them further South, where the winter would be less harsh, and established a massive settlement along the Neck. Although the Neck was better than the far North, it was still harsh for the people and many died. A son born of Lord Osric and his wife, Lady Jeyne, died of a chill during the first year of the winter.

Matters only got worse as the winter grew on. In the third year of the winter, Lord Commander Wymar Royce sent an urgent raven to King’s Landing warning that a King-Beyond-the-Wall named Alfyn had amassed a large host of wildings and had slain a ranging of Black Brothers. Lord Edmure declared that he would rally the banners and ride north to aid the Night’s Watch but King Rhaegar, wanting to prove he was still able to command his leal lords, demanded that he ride with the force. Crown Prince Jaehaerys and Lord Edmure tried to persuade the King that it wasn’t necessary but, fearing that his son would do to him what he did to his father, the King refused and prepared to ride to the North to protect his realm. Singers call this event the Blind King’s Folly, as King Rhaegar’s vision had deteriorated greatly. He had to travel in a carriage house, which greatly slowed the speed of the host, but Prince Jaehaerys and Lord Edmure ensured that the men remained loyal and sharp. Their host met with Lord Osric in the Neck and merged with a Northern host to ride to the Wall. Lord Osric also tried to dissuade his father from riding any further, urging him to remain in the Neck with Lady Jeyne and the smallfolk. But the King was stubborn in his age and demanded to press on. The carriage house frequently got stuck in the snow of the North, forcing them to abandon it near Winterfell. The King had to make the rest of the journey on a horse led by his squire, the young Benjen Karstark.

Two day’s ride from the Wall, a rider in black reached the royal host with news that the wildings had breached the Wall and a battle was raging in Castle Black. Finally, King Rhaegar relented and allowed the main host to rush forward while himself and the Kingsguard continued along. By the time King Rhaegar reached the Wall, the battle had ended. Prince Jaehaerys had injured King-Beyond-the-Wall Alfyn Smallhand under the main gate of Castle Black and Lord Edmure had captured him attempting to flee into the Gift. King Rhaegar took the King’s Tower as his own and held court there, hearing the case of Alfyn while his Small Council almost unanimously called for his head. Alfyn told a tale of deep sorrows and troubles Beyond the Wall, with ancient evils stirring in the cold heart of winter. King Rhaegar thought hard about how to administer the matter, feeling sympathy for the wildings, but knew that justice must be applied uniformly and directed the King’s Justice, Ser Osney Kettleblack, to behead the King-Beyond-the-Wall.

King Rhaegar had taken a chill during the long journey and Grand Maester Samwell Tarly did not believe the King strong enough to make the journey back to King’s Landing. A plan was devised for King Rhaegar to remain at Castle Black until winter broke, living among the Night’s Watch and overseeing the reconstruction of Castle Black and the fortification of the Wall. Crown Prince Jaehaerys strongly objected, arguing that the King needed to be in King’s Landing, but Lords Osric and Edmure knew it was feeble to argue against the old King. After a fortnight of preparations, the royal party departed, back down the Kingsroad, led by Crown Prince Jaehaerys and Lord Edmure, leaving King Rhaegar and Grand Maester Samwell at the Wall. King Rhaegar’s condition only worsened, however, and he quickly deteriorated.

Rhaegar of House Targaryen, First of His Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Eight Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm passed away and joined the feast in the Father’s golden hall in 324 AC, the 39th year of his reign.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #143 on: June 01, 2020, 09:21:05 AM »

Sadly, I think it's time to pull the plug and declare the game dead. We had a good run, and I liked where the game was going, but it just seems we don't have the players to keep it going.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #144 on: June 01, 2020, 03:40:38 PM »

For what its worth, you did really well with this game, I found it very enjoyable despite only being able to invest limited amounts of time.

Still, it does seem that - sadly - there isn't a player base large enough for an ASOIAF/strategy game requiring c. 10 players right now, particularly with all that's been going on.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2020, 09:36:49 PM »

Aw that's too bad. The backstory and everything was fun to read.

I guess I'll go with this  Smile:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies