Out to Pasture (2020 Election Game) Gameplay Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:59:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Out to Pasture (2020 Election Game) Gameplay Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Out to Pasture (2020 Election Game) Gameplay Thread  (Read 31341 times)
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -1.57

P P P

« on: January 26, 2020, 08:05:35 PM »

TWEET:

@StaceyAbrams
President Pence and his crony capatalist friends have just announced their plan to lower taxes...for the top 1%. Join me and hold the 1% accountable!
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 02:18:45 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2020, 02:28:31 PM by SouthCarolinaAaron »

ABRAMS CAMPAIGN STRATEGY

Former Georgia House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams is running a campaign that will essentially revolve around her winning in South Carolina. She will focus on getting in the top 5 in Iowa, she'll skip New Hampshire, do well in Nevada and hopefully have that momentum carry on in South Carolina.

The South Carolina Democratic primary has a voting population that's majority-minority. Ms. Abrams has the policies, the background, and the beliefs to win that key voting bloc and win a majority of delegates for the nomination.

Ms. Abrams also released a statement after President Pence's attacks on her fellow Democratic candidates:

President Pence likes to attack others without basis. Even thought I am running against many of the people that President Pence is attacking, I must put principle over politics and condemn this childish action of the President. I invite the President to have a spirited policy based discussion, not one based on attacks and smears. As my good friend Michelle Obama once said, "When they go low, you go high." My fellow Democrats and I will all go high. I'll also add on, I'm just hearing that President Pence is now against the Citizens United decision. That's great news if that's true. However, actions speak louder than words. Let's all hope that he joins our pledge to not take a dime from lobbyists, the fossil fuel industries, super PACs, and other outside groups.

Credit to myself for making the logo above.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 03:34:44 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2020, 03:49:14 PM by SouthCarolinaAaron »

ABRAMS SCHEDULE PART 2
February 20th - 28th | South Carolina
February 20th- Open office in Columbia
February 21st- Rally in Columbia
February 22nd- Appear on a few local TV shows in Columbia
February 23rd- Go on a walking tour of Clemson University with President Jimmy Carter
February 24th- Joint rally with President Carter in Clemson, SC
February 25th- Open office in Charleston
February 26th- Joint rally with President Carter in Charleston, and do an interview/townhall with the Post and Courier’s “Pints and Politics”
February 27th- Meet with HBCU students in Rock Hill
February 28th- Rally in Rock Hill

March 1st - 10th | Iowa
March 1st- Roundtable in Muscatine with Obama-Trump voters about critical issues
March 2nd- Townhall at the University of Northern Iowa
March 3rd- Rally in Dubuque
March 4th- Townhall in Des Moines
March 5th- Rally in Des Moines
March 6th- Townhall at the University of Iowa
March 7th- Roundtable at the University of Iowa about the Climate Crisis
March 8th- Brief interview at photo-op with the Des Moines Register
March 9th- Rally in Cedar Rapids
March 10th- Rally in Waterloo

March 11th - 20th | Nevada
March 11th- Rally in Boulder City
March 12th- Townhall in University of Nevada, Las Vegas
March 13th- Roundtable with students about education issues
March 14th- Rally in Carson City
March 15th- Rally in Las Vegas
March 16th- Townhall at the College of Southern Nevada
March 17th- Rally in Fernley
March 18th- Roundtable with local female leaders discussing women’s rights and women in politics
March 19th- Townhall in Reno
March 20th- Visit Northwest Career College, followed by a speech highlighting the importance of vocational jobs

March 21st - 31st | Nevada
March 21st- Brief interview with the Post and Courier
March 22nd- Meet with workers who were terminated from Boeing because they started a union in Charleston
March 23rd- Go with President Carter to Fort Sumter and visit the USS Yorktown
March 24th- Participate in a marathon across the Thomas Ravenel Bridge benefitting cancer research
March 25th- Pop in restaurants, stores, areas with a lot of people in Myrtle Beach, meeting voters, ask them to commit to voting for Stacey in the primary
March 26th- Open office in Myrtle Beach
March 27th- Roundtable with the families of victims of serious diseases that have been affected by the Trump administration’s changes of Obamacare
March 28th- Rally in Charleston
March 29th- Rally in Columbia
March 30th- Meet with local officeholders
March 31st- Go to a local historically black church
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 03:57:09 PM »

Image from the Wikimedia Commons

ABRAMS STUMP SPEECH #1
Hello (city name)!

Every election is a choice. And this year, the choice could not be more clear.
And even more than a choice between parties, or personalities, it’s a choice between ideologies.

President Pence and his Republican friends want to tear you down. The GOP wants to take away healthcare from those with pre-existing conditions, they want to take away women’s access to healthcare and reproductive freedom, they want to take away tax breaks from those who need it and give tax breaks to the top 1%, they want to take away key programs that keep people off the streets. They take from the needy and give to the rich, the Democratic party is the party of equality and choice.

Both parties look at our country and say: We know what it takes to strengthen our economy and make it fair for everyone. We know what it takes to stop gun violence in our neighborhoods. We know what it takes to make college more affordable. We know we need to strengthen the promise of public education. We know that inclusion is stronger than exclusion. We know that immigrants do come here to play by the rules so that they can have a chance at the American dream. We know what it takes to lead the world both with the example of our power and with the power of our example.

When I am sworn in as the 47th President of the United States, I will make an additional oath to you: We’re getting to work.

Listen to our Republican opponents and you hear something different. They spend their time talking about liberty and freedom and government getting out of the way -- what they’re really doing is saying the same thing over and over again. They’re saying that we’re powerless in the face of our problems. Nothing can be done.

What if that was the mentality that our leaders had at pivotal moments of our history?

What if, at the height of the Depression, Franklin Roosevelt looked out on America and said, “I see one-third of a nation ill-housed, ill-clad, ill-nourished … and there’s nothing we can do”?

There’d be no Social Security — and today, 22 million Americans would be thrown into poverty just like that.

What if Lyndon B. Johnson had said, “I know we say all men are created equal … but there’s nothing we can do”?

There’d be no Civil Rights Act. No Voting Rights Act. I wouldn’t be up here as a presidential candidate.

What if Barack Obama had said, “I know millions of Americans don’t have health coverage … I know we’re mired in two seemingly endless wars in Iraq and Afghanistan … I know we’re in the worst recession since the Great Depression, but can we change things? No. We. Can’t.”

Republicans say there’s nothing the government can do as if the government is some entity that rules us. But this is a democracy. The government is us. By us and for us. And creating the America we want is up to us.

So in this election, you have a choice. You have a choice between a party that — to a man, and yes, it is almost entirely men — says government can’t do anything, and then they get into office and set out to prove it.

And you have us, who looks out on an America that we, too, believe is exceptional — but we know isn’t perfect — and seek to make it that more perfect union.

So if you want to “make America great again” as President Pence and his supporters would say, there’s a surefire way to do it: Elect a Democrat (better yet, elect me).

Thank you so much for listening to my speech. I’m glad to be here in (city name) and I hope I earn your vote!
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 05:01:02 PM »

ABRAMS 2020 PLATFORM

EDUCATION
Raise teacher pay
Make 2 years of college tuition-free
End for-profit charter schools
ELECTIONS
Restrict unlimited spending in campaigns
Overturn the Citizens United decision
Abolish the Electoral College
Allow non-violent felons to vote after their prison sentence
Require paper ballots for all elections
ENERGY, ENVIRONMENT, AND THE CLIMATE CRISIS
Close down existing nuclear power reactors
End offshore drilling
End new oil and gas leases on federal land
Tax carbon emissions
CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM
Abolish the death penalty
Abolish the cash bail system
Scrap the cocaine sentencing disparity
Eliminate mandatory minimum sentences
Abolish private prisons
ECONOMY:
Bring back Glass-Steagall
Raise taxes on the wealthy
Create new social programs dedicated to eliminating income inequality
Raise minimum wage to $15/hour
Provide at least 12 weeks of paid family leave
Establish a commission to study reparations
Increase the capital gains tax
Reverse the 2017 corporate tax cut
Increase taxes on Wall Street
FOOD AND AGRICULTURE
Break-up agribusiness
Expand farmworker protections
Sign USMCA
GUNS
Bring back the Assault Weapons Ban
Establish a voluntary buyback program
Require background checks to purchase any firearm
IMMIGRATION
Citizenship for Dreamers
No more additional funding for Trump’s border wall
Leave the statute in place that leaves border-crossing a crime
INFRASTRUCTURE
Reinstitute the Clean Water Rule
Boost infrastructure funds
MARIJUANA
Legalize medical and recreational use of cannabis
Scrap past pot convictions
MILITARY
Slash the defense budget to prevent endless wars
Bring the troops home from Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan
TECH
Establish property rights for data
Establish fines or jail time for CEOs that are knowingly stealing data from innocent customers
Dedicate open-ended federal funding to support rural broadband
Break up big tech companies
TRADE
Support the President’s goal with China, but change the approach to a more diplomatic approach rather than constantly slapping tariffs on China
Support USMCA
Oppose joining CPTPP
HEALTHCARE
Build on the Affordable Care Act to establish a public option (establishing Medicare for All who Want it)
Skeptical on late-term abortion
Reduce drug costs
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 09:58:40 PM »

ABRAMS TOWN HALL ANSWERS

Credit to the Wikimedia Commons for the photo above

1) Many of you have very strong views on the President's tax cuts, which recently passed the Senate 53-47, with six of you even voting on it (all against). Would each of you care to once again clarify your position on the issue, and would the Senators explain the reasoning behind their votes?
As per usual, Republicans are buddying up with their millionaire and billionaire pals. This is essentially rubbing salt into the wound of Americans that are living paycheck-to-paycheck. Back when I was the Georgia House Minority Leader, I did the response to the State of the Union. I said to the American people, many of who were just meeting me for the first time, “The Republican tax bill rigged the system against working people, rather than bringing back jobs, plants are closing, layoffs are looming, and wages struggle to keep pace with the actual cost of living.” I stand by that, and every day as I travel through Iowa, South Carolina, Nevada, and a whole bunch of other states, I see the effects of the 2017 tax bill. I talk to the people affected by that and the trade war, and they’re not happy. I hope that the House will come to their senses and reject this bill. I also have a message for a few of the moderate Republicans that decided to stay with their party on this issue: Look, we are a democracy. I guarantee that the vast majority of your constituents don’t want this bill to become law. What they do want is tax cuts for the middle and lower classes. Too many innocent Americans are living paycheck-to-paycheck. I disagree with some of my fellow candidates that are calling for a wealth tax. It’s a good idea, in theory. Every country that’s established a wealth tax ends up scrapping it because it doesn’t work. I would instead equal the playing field by increasing taxes on the wealthiest, as well as squashing loopholes to make sure no one is sitting on the sidelines being run over by the rich and powerful.

2) Healthcare is the #1 issue Americans are concerned about this election cycle. How would each of you format healthcare under your administration?
Healthcare is an extremely important issue. It’s personal to me, it’s personal to the American people. My nephew, Michael, we call him Mikey, has a pre-existing condition. When he was 3 years old, he tested positive for diabetes. Unfortunately, he could not get the healthcare he desperately needed. When President Obama signed the Affordable Care Act in 2010, it was a blessing to my sister, to Mikey, and all of our family. But since then, President Trump and now, President Pence have been putting bills up and lawsuits to call the ACA “unconstitutional.” It breaks my heart to see how far people will go to take healthcare away from people. When I am elected President, the first thing I will do is to ask Congress to pass a revised version of Obamacare that keeps all of the good stuff that we all love: slowing the rise of healthcare costs, protecting pre-existing conditions, letting children stay on their parents’ plan. And we get rid of the bad stuff: taxing people who don’t get covered by the ACA, people not being able to keep their doctor, the individual mandate, etc. We’re gonna establish a public option. You can have your private health insurance if you want. If not, have some free government healthcare. The goal here is to make the government healthcare be so good that no one will want private insurance. But, we are America. We’re a country vested in choices and the freedom of choice.

3) Climatologists now say we have little more than a decade to roll back our global greenhouse gas input before disastrous irreversibility strikes. Do you agree with this assessment? If so, how would you move to lessen this nation's carbon footprint? If not, why do you believe it not to be the case?
First of all, I just want to preface with the fact that one of my least favorite things is when politicians think they know more than the experts. So, I believe the scientists, the experts, are correct. I believe their assessment. It started in 2006 when Al Gore warned us that if we don’t change the way we are, then we will get to a point of no return and that we will suffer the consequences. A few of us listened, most of us ignored him. Now we’re starting to see the consequences. Hurricanes Florence, Harvey, Irma, Maria, the melting of the polar ice caps, longer heatwaves, our devastating wildfires, diseases spreading easily. One of the reasons we have such a big carbon footprint is the stranglehold that big businesses have on our government. We’ve got to educate the public because the way that we reduce our carbon footprint is by doing this one person at a time. If you live in a big city, maybe don’t drive your car every day, go to work or school by bus, by train, by bike, walk there, find some other way that’s better for the environment. Another way, if you’ve got the money, is to buy hybrid or electric cars. There’s a variety of solutions to this big problem. There’s an article in the New York Times from Livia Albeck-Ripka, about how we all can one-by-one reduce our carbon footprint. When I am president I will announce a state of emergency for the climate crisis and have bi-weekly public meetings with the Secretary of Energy and other leaders to discuss what we can do to combat the climate crisis.

Personal Question) You have proposed closing down all nuclear power plants within the United States. However, many scientists now believe that the use of thorium as an alternative fuel to uranium would remove or significantly reduce nearly all the risks associated with nuclear power. Would you support this solution instead of shutting down all our nuclear plants?

The audience members here will be shocked to hear the politician say these words “I was wrong.” Crazy, right? That platform was really to show a brief look at my views and what I want to do as President. As I said with the last question, I’ll have bi-weekly meetings with the Secretary of Energy and other leaders in the fight against the climate crisis to discuss energy policy and where to go next. By the way, I’ll also give Greta Thunberg the Medal of Freedom.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 01:07:30 PM »

WE ARE AMERICA
Ad aired in Iowa, South Carolina, and Nevada

Stacey Abrams (in a speech): We were born for such a time as this...

Male voter #1: We are the product of a rich and complicated history

Male voter #2: We have inherited a legacy of justice.

Child: And we are ready to lead

Female voter #1: We were made for this moment...

Female voter #2: In this nation,

Child #2: with these voices,

Male voter #3: with our votes.

Male voter #4: We declare that poverty is immoral.

Female voter #3: That we deserve a quality education.

Male voter #5: Access to healthcare

Female voter #4: and equal pay for equal work

Female voter #5: We declare that families belong together.

Male voter #6: That we have the right to bear arms.

Child #3: The right to safe communities.

Child #4: We declare that love is love.

Child #5: And that our future should be limitless

Male voter #1 has son in his arms

Male voter #1's son: We are dreamers.

Teenager: We are doers.

Male voter #7: We are teachers.

Female voter #6: We are workers,

Several people together: volunteers, organizers, immigrants, veterans, nurses, progressives, seniors, students, artists, entrepreneurs, engineers, farmers, independents, Republicans, activists, resisters, lifelong Democrats, first time voters.

Male voter #8: We are here.

Female voter #7: We are ready.

Female voter #8 ,with all of the people signs, "We are America."

Sign appears on the black screen that say "Vote."

Stacey Abrams for President logo appears on the screen

Stacey: I'm Stacey Abrams and I approve this message...

VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 05:30:49 PM »

FOUNDATION
Abrams 2020 Ad aired in Iowa and South Carolina

The camera opens on a sandy beach with birds flying overhead, then the camera flashes to train tracks, and then a picture of a small town appears. Pictures and videos flash of Stacey’s family...

Stacey Abrams (narrating): I come from a solid foundation, built by a librarian mother and a shipyard worker father who became a United Methodist minister. They never let a lack of material possessions or the wrong zip code keep their children from dreaming. They taught us that our community struggles are shared struggles. They taught us to love learning, to seek a broader world, to never forget where we came from. I’m Stacey Abrams, I’m the product of Robert and Carolyn Abrams. They raised my sisters and brothers and me with the values of faith, family, service, and responsibility. I was born in Mississippi, grew up in Georgia. Where the red clay beneath our feet has been the foundation for what is possible for a generation of Georgians and Americans. Along the way, I’ve lived a real life. I’ve had real struggles. I’ve dealt with student loans and sick parents and tough choices. Those experiences made me a better lawmaker in the State House.

Shots of Stacey on the State House floor making speeches, monitoring votes, etc.

Stacey (still narrating): Made me more determined when my colleagues elected me to be their leader and they are why I am the best candidate for President of the United States of America. What I believe is simple: we’re all better off when Americans are able to keep more of their hard-earned money in their pocket. When all have access to affordable healthcare, excellent public schools, and the opportunity to prosper. No matter their debt, their income bracket, or zip code. Those farmers in Texas, teachers in South Carolina, engineers in Iowa are seen and heard and have a voice.

Shots of Stacey campaigning, going door to door, meeting with volunteers appear on the screen

Stacey: Our people-powered campaign is going to every corner of this great country with bold, ambitious plans to deliver results for ALL Americans. I’m ready to build a stronger United States. Where no one is unseen, no one is unheard, and everyone has the freedom and opportunity to thrive. Now let’s get it done…

I’m Stacey Abrams and I approve this message.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 05:48:03 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2020, 07:13:25 PM by SouthCarolinaAaron »

NEW ABRAMS ENDORSEMENT

Stacey Abrams revealed a new endorsement today...

Today I'm incredibly happy to have received the endorsement of the recently elected Chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus, Congresswoman Karen Bass of California's 37th District. She was awarded the John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award in 2010 after her leadership in California after the Great Recession, as the Speaker of the California State Assembly. I'm proud to haver her on Team Abrams. Only together, we will win.

Rep. Bass issued the following statement after she announced her endorsement of Abrams...

Stacey and I have been friends for many, many years. Both of us served in our respective state legislatures for many years. I know that Stacey is fully equipped to serve ALL Americans in the White House. Earlier this year, I was given the honor by my colleagues to serve as the Chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus. I hope I speak for all of the CBC members when I say that Stacey Abrams is the best candidate for President of the United States

Image from the Wikimedia Commons
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 10:47:33 AM »
« Edited: January 29, 2020, 11:07:02 AM by SouthCarolinaAaron »

Stacey Abrams @StaceyAbrams

I'm happy to see the President and others in his party start to come around on Citizens United. But I've got to ask him, where was he in 2010? I'll tell you where he was in 2010. When President Pence was Congressman Pence, he issued a statement right after the Citizens United SCOTUS decision, praising the court. In that statement, he said "Freedom won today in the Supreme Court. Today's ruling in the Citizens United case takes us one step closer to the Founding Fathers' vision of free speech, a vision that is cherished by all Americans and one Congress has a responsibility to protect."

We need a consistent President...

#Abrams2020
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 12:09:45 PM »

ABRAMS SCHEDULE PART 3

April: South Carolina
April 1st: Begin 46 county tour in Hilton Head Island (Beaufort County)
April 2nd: Rally in Ridgeland (Jasper County) and Walterboro (Colleton)
April 3rd: Rallies in Charleston (Charleston County) and Ridgeville (Dorchester)
April 4th: Rallies in Moncks Corner (Berkeley County) and Orangeburg (Orangeburg County)
April 5th: Rallies in Saint Matthews (Calhoun) and Summerton (Clarendon)
April 6th: Rallies in Kingstree (Williamsburg) and Murrells Inlet (Georgetown)
April 7th: Rallies in Myrtle Beach (Horry) and Marion (Marion County)
April 8th: Rallies in Dillon (Dillon County) and Florence (Florence County)
April 9-11: Break from campaigning in Darlington, SC
April 12th: Rallies in Darlington (Darlington County) and Bennettsville (Marlboro County)
April 13th: Rallies in Cheraw (Chesterfield) and Bishopville (Lee)
April 14th: Rallies in Sumter (Sumter County) and Columbia (Richland)
April 15th: Barnstom all over Columbia with President Carter
April 16th: Rallies in Camden (Kershaw) and Lancaster (Lancaster County)
April 17th: Rallies in Rock Hill (York) and Chester (Chester County)
April 18th: Rallies in Winnsboro (Fairfield) and Lexington (Lexington County)
April 19th: Rallies in Aiken (Aiken County) and Bamberg (Bamberg County)
April 20th: Rallies in Hampton (Hampton County), Fairfax (Allendale), and Barnwell (Barnwell County)
April 21st: Rallies in Gafney (Cherokee), Union (Union County), and Newberry (Newberry County)
April 22nd: Rallies in Saluda (Saluda County) and Edgefield (Edgefield County)
April 23rd: Rallies in Spartanburg (Spartanburg County) and Clinton (Laurens)
April 24th: Rallies in Greenwood (Greenwood County) and Clarks Hill (McCormick
April 25th: Rally in Greenville (Greenville County)
April 26th: Rally in Pickens (Pickens County)
April 27th: Rally in Seneca (Oconee)
April 28th: Rally in Anderson (Anderson County)
April 29th: Rally in Abbeville (Abbeville County)
April 30th: Closing Rally in Columbia with President Carter

May: Iowa
May 1st: Meet with a group of Iowa women running for the state legislature
May 9th: Accept endorsement of Congresswoman Karen Bass
May 13th: Tour of Western Iowa, speaking with political leaders about how to deliver Iowa’s 6 electoral votes to the Dems in 2020
May 20th: Open office in Dubuque
May 25th: Give commencement speech at Iowa State University
May 27th: Visit with military families on Memorial Day
May 28th: Barnstorm local restaurants and stores in Council Bluffs with Rep. Bass and President Carter.

June: Nevada
June 4th: Meet with Las Vegas Democratic Party leaders
June 5th-8th: Barnstorm Southern Nevada with Surrogates
June 16th: Joint Rally with Rep. Bass in Reno

June-July: South Carolina
June 21st: Briefly return to South Carolina for the annual Clyburn Fish Fry
June 22nd: Speak at the South Carolina Democratic Convention
June 26th: Speech in Columbia
July 4th: Barnstorm Charleston area with President Carter
July 10th: Barnstorm Columbia with President Carter
July 16th: Rally in Columbia
July 23rd: Rally in Mount Pleasant
July 27th-29th: Take a break with family in Charleston

August: Iowa
August 2nd: Rally in Des Moines
August 5th: Barnstorm Des Moines with President Carter
August 9th: Women’s Rights roundtable in Dubuque
August 14th-21st: Tour of Eastern Iowa

September: South Carolina
September 9th: Give a speech to students at Springfield Elementary School in Charleston about the importance of education, followed by a reading of a children’s book in the Kindergarten classrooms
September 15th: Meet with Charleston teachers
September 19th: Barnstorm Rock Hill with President Carter
September 21st: Meet with Union Leaders in Columbia
September 28th: Rally in Columbia

October: Iowa
October 3rd-9th: Tour Western Iowa, visit several counties there
October 12th-15th: Tour areas that voted Obama in 2012 and switched to Trump in 2016
October 21st-27th: Speeches in Eastern Iowa, barnstorming the area with President Carter
October 29th: Return home to Georgia for halloween
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 07:37:59 PM »

ABRAMS DEBATE ANSWERS

Opening Statement:
Good evening, I’d like to begin by thanking Anderson, CNN, and our venue for hosting us tonight. You may not know my name, but you probably recognize my story. My mother, Carolyn, was a librarian who taught us to love learning and my father, Robert, was a minister, who taught us to love each other and our fellow Americans. They worked hard to build a pathway to success for me. But the system was still rigged. Most candidates would hide this, but I wear this as a badge of honor: I am still paying off my student loan debt. I know the struggles of the average American because I’ve lived it.

We know the solutions to our problems but unfortunately the leaders in Washington are complicit in not doing anything to get it done! We need an outsider who doesn’t know the ways of Washington. I served in the Georgia House of Representatives, representing the 84th district for 6 years, I served as the Minority Leader of the Georgia House for 6 years. I’ve spent my time outside of that office running for governor, a race we would’ve won had the Republican machine not suppressed the vote. I’ve also spent my time since leaving the State House fighting for the sanctity of our democracy, protecting the right to vote.

I hope that I earn your vote tonight, and that cast your vote for someone with government experience OUTSIDE of Washington.

Specialized question:
Julián and I are good friends, he was one of the first people to endorse our campaign for Governor. A lot of people have referred to me as the compromise candidate. I take that with stride, I will work with people no matter if they have a D next to their name or if they have an R next to their name. What I will do as President is kind of meet Julián halfway, I’d be willing to take border crossing from a criminal offense to a civil offense. What’s upsetting is that there are several people that have the best of intentions, wanting to come here to America and have a try at the American dream, but what holds them back is a border crossing. But by completely decriminalizing border crossings, you’re also running the risk of encouraging people who aren’t here with good intentions coming into the country. So my proposal is to prop up immigrants that have good intentions and to discourage immigrants with bad intentions. Julián, if you’re watching, I’d love to have a phone or email conversation with you about this and discuss immigration. Thank you for the question.

Closing Statement:
This is the most consequential election in our history. What we need our leaders to do is very simple: tell the truth. Right now, we don’t have that in Washington. I want our leaders, no matter what party they are associated with, to succeed. I want our country to succeed. Our leaders in Washington have big duties they need to fulfill that they aren’t. They are, as I said, to tell the truth, respect their office, respect and identify the beautiful diversity that is America, and to do right by our people. That is not what we have in President Pence, that is not what we had in President Trump. My Democratic colleagues and I don’t agree on everything, but what we do agree on is the urgency to elect a Democrat in 2020 and unleash a new America, for all.

VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 11:11:26 AM »

Abrams announces plan to combat the Opioid Crisis

INTRODUCTION:
Stacey’s plan removes unnecessary obstacles to medications for addiction treatment, expands access to health services, and enforces laws that require insurance coverage of mental health care. Her plan also expands access to treatment, develops national standards for states to gather data on opioid use and overdoses, and require insurers to remove obstacles to covering medications for opioid use disorder.

Aggressively Combat the Opioid Crisis:
Under Stacey’s plan, the government will provide medications to treat opioid use disorder and counseling when people enter hospitals or the criminal justice system. Equipping hospitals to provide medications for opioid use disorder and treating people who suffer from addiction problems instead of incarcerating them, unless they have committed violent crimes.

Enforce federal laws mandating insurance coverage for mental health and substance use disorders.
Requiring insurers to remove obstacles (for example, prior authorization) to cover medications for opioid use disorder and removing special training requirements and limits on prescribing buprenorphine.

Developing national standards for states to gather data on opioid use and overdoses to understand the scope of the crisis better and see which areas need help most.

Ms. Abrams plans to announce a second plan later today...

Image from the Abrams gubernatorial campaign on Flickr
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 11:31:07 AM »

Abrams announces plan to establish a Fair Workweek for ALL Americans

INTRODUCTION:
Unpredictable work schedules that leave middle-class families with too few hours to
afford necessities and no control over their time is a big part of their problem on how
They support themselves and their families. Some workers get little advance notice about whether they should come to work -- 25% of workers were required to clear their schedules to be “on-call” for shifts they were not guaranteed to get, preventing them from making plans with their families, working another job, or going back to school.

THE PLAN:
Low-wage workers across the economy suffer from unpredictable work schedules,
workers of color -- especially women of color -- bear the brunt of these abusive
scheduling practices. Women of color have a 5-10% greater exposure to scheduling
instability even when controlling for educational attainment and comparing workers
within the same company.

In my plan, employers with 15 or more employees will be required to give at least 2 weeks of advance notice of any schedule changes. Too often, employees aren’t given a guarantee of rest between shifts, in my plan, they will.

In my plan, employers are required to offer additional work hours to existing, part-time workers before hiring new employees or contractors. Many times, employers strategically try to prevent workers from working full-time shifts so that they don’t have to give them benefits.

Under my administration, workers that have worked with their employer for at least one year will also have access to Family Medical Leave act leave and protection, regardless of whether they’re part or full-time employees. Workers who work at least 500 hours for two consecutive years will also have access to employee retirement plans. If an employer fails to follow the guidelines above, they will be fined between $100 and $1,000.

The era of working people being underestimated and undermined by the people in charge is over when I am elected President.

Thank you for reading my plan to better the situations of working people.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 11:36:45 AM »

@StaceyAbrams TWEET

I'm happy to have received the President's invitation to the White House to discuss the opioid crisis, an issue near and dear to my heart. I can not in good faith accept that invitation without directly asking him to denounce his previous policies regarding marriage equality and equality for ALL Americans no matter their sexual identity.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 02:11:54 PM »

Statement from Stacey Abrams following the President's tweet

I have something very simple to say to the President. Do not mistake principle for political gamesmanship. If Mr. Pence would simply clarify his position on marriage equality and agree with the vast majority of Americans that love is love, I would be more inclined to join him at the White House to have a bipartisan discussion about how to end the opioid crisis.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 02:30:13 PM »

VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 02:33:29 PM »

Once again, the President refuses to answer the question... I'm not surprised. However, I'd expect a little more of a flare with the pivot. The President has been in Washington 15 out of his 17-18 year career in politics. I'd expect him to be a little better at pivoting.

I'll give him an example, let's see how he responds. Mr. President, let's say you're having a town hall in Iowa, and a gay man walked up to the microphone and asked you if you think he should be able to marry the man he loves. What would you say?

Statement from Stacey Abrams to the President
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 08:32:27 PM »

(NON-GAMEPLAY POST, THIS IS THE ONLY TIME I'M DOING THIS)

Today I saw that Stacey is planning to be president by 2040. Last I checked, that's not how that works.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/31/stacey-abrams-president-2040-109869
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2020, 03:01:14 PM »

Adding on to the original tweet:

"The President still refuses to address his record on gay rights. I don't understand what's so difficult about saying whether you are for or against gay marriage. I hope some Republicans join me on this issue and call for the President to clarify his position on gay marriage. A few months ago, I had a nice conversation with Sen. Portman about gay rights. He used to be against it, but he realized he was wrong and supports the right to marriage. Sen. Portman's son is homosexual, would the President take away the right for him to marry the man he loves?"
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2020, 04:38:18 PM »

Abrams announces 2 new endorsements

Stacey Abrams held an event in Columbia, South Carolina with 2 of her new endorsements

I'm proud to be joined in our campaign with 2 heroes of mine: Congressman John Lewis and Reverend Al Sharpton. Reverend Sharpton has been a hero for black and brown people across the country. When I was a little girl, I always dreamed about meeting Congressman Lewis, to have his endorsement means the world. He fought on the ground for civil rights, defended African Americans from the brutal segregationists who wanted nothing but to divide and conquer. I'm honored to have these 2 great men on my team.

Rep. Lewis commented,
Stacey is a voice for the voiceless. She will be a voice to preserve voting rights. She will be a voice to stop homelessness. She will be a voice to stop the climate crisis. She will be a voice for civil rights for ALL Americans. When I was a boy, I could only dream of one day having an African American president. I never thought I would be able to say that I am supporting a WOMAN OF COLOR to be our next president. I wish Stacey and her campaign the best of luck and anything I can do for her and her campaign, I am right there.

VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2020, 12:14:55 AM »

VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2020, 10:08:28 AM »

ABRAMS ANNOUNCES CAMPAIGN STAFF

The photo above doesn't indicate an endorsement from Speaker Pelosi. The photo is from the Wikimedia Commons

Campaign Manager:
David Axelrod, former Senior Advisor to President Obama and Chief Strategist for the Obama campaigns

Financial Director:
Penny Pritzker, former Secretary of Commerce under the Obama administration

Campaign Chair:
Symone Sanders, former National Press Secretary for the Sanders 2016 campaign

Communications Director:
Brian Fallon, former press secretary for the Clinton 2016 campaign

National Field Director:
Jen O’Malley Dillon, former Obama staffer and former campaign manager to Beto O’Rourke
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 03:37:47 PM »

Abrams online ad in Iowa and South Carolina
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2020, 04:31:01 PM »

Let's Get to Work

Image from Flickr
New ad for Abrams 2020 aired in Iowa, Nevada, South Carolina, and California

Various reporters say Stacey’s name...

Stacey (during campaign speech): We are writing the next path of America’s future.

Reporter from the Today show (reporting from 2018): Abrams has won the Democratic nomination in a landslide..76% for Abrams, 24% for Evans…

Another reporter from CBS News: A very big night for Ms. Abrams

Stacey: I’m the child of a shipyard worker and a college librarian who was called to become United Methodist ministers.

Pictures of a young Stacey Abrams flash on the screen

Stacey: And I grew up the second of six children, my parents instilled in us the core values of faith, of family, of service, and responsibility. Hard work is in my bones. If we embrace our obligation to live up to America’s tradition of pride and of promise, we can lead a stronger nation. A more compassionate nation, a bold and ambitious nation. We can show the Stars and Stripes something new and we can fight together for the good of all! I want every American family to have the freedom and opportunity to thrive! You deserve nothing less, and I know America can deliver a whole lot more. Together, we will renew the respect for the dignity of work in every field, in every sector, and every state in this great nation! Everybody wins when we choose to honor hard work with wages you can raise a family on. We will invest in thousands of small businesses that keep our nation alive!

Reporter: Stacey Abrams’s campaign for President has captured the attention of leaders and voters across the country.

Stacey during local interview in Charleston: What’s more impressive to me are all who are hearing their voices reflected for the first time.

Reporter: Ms. Abrams is running a campaign based on her non-Washington government experience, even calling herself “the outsider’s insider”

Stacey (in a separate interview on CNN’s New Day): I’m excited, we’ve got a tough race ahead, but I’m confident we’ll do well in Iowa, New Hampshire, and Nevada and I think we’ll win in South Carolina, we’ll win big, I’m confident of that. We’re building a coalition of voters, bringing Democrats, former Republicans, Independents, first-time voters, immigrants, workers, students, teachers, everyone from every walk of life and every age to our campaign. Bringing people together for the common good. We’ve got a new opportunity because America has changed dramatically over the last 50 years. This is just the tip of the iceberg. This campaign is seeking to redefine what it means to be a leader in Washington, what it means to be the President of the United States of America. Now, all we have to do is get it done and get to work!

Stacey (voiceover): I’m Stacey Abrams and I approve this message.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies