SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 03:13:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 103861 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 02, 2022, 09:33:58 PM »

8 pages on this in two hours and real issues like inflation are lucky to get two

Sad!

This is potentially one of the biggest Supreme Court decisions in decades, and you're bitching about thread length?

Cut Abdullah some slack. It's really hard to recommend every post when you have one every minute.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #201 on: May 02, 2022, 09:34:29 PM »

I am a big believer in the 10th Amendment and I would love to see someone argue that I am a theocrat or an enabler of theocracy.

You’re not a theocrat, you just don’t know what you’re talking about with respect to this issue, legally speaking.

I'm not interested in the legal analysis of anyone who opposes overturning West Coast Hotel v. Parrish.

Roll Eyes
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #202 on: May 02, 2022, 09:34:41 PM »

Folks who repeatedly concern troll about this will be muted from this board for 24 hrs.  I’ve already had to issue one of these.  I am in no mood for concern trolling right now; this is the first and last warning.

So uh, can you define this so no one gets unfairly moderated for expressing genuine opinions?

Just asking since the transparency would be a good thing here.

Mr. X cope
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #203 on: May 02, 2022, 09:34:47 PM »

Folks who repeatedly concern troll about this will be muted from this board for 24 hrs.  I’ve already had to issue one of these.  I am in no mood for concern trolling right now; this is the first and last warning.

So uh, can you define this so no one gets unfairly moderated for expressing genuine opinions?

Use your common sense, that’s what God gave it to you for.  I’m not playing this game.
Um no, this needs clarification.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #204 on: May 02, 2022, 09:35:41 PM »

Use your common sense, that’s what God gave it to you for.  I’m not playing this game.

I'm just saying you guys have a track record of moderating legitimate posts and refusing to explain how it's a violation of TOS, why is it so hard to explain what specifically you aren't allowing if you feel it's so serious that you need to make an announcement in bright red colors?
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #205 on: May 02, 2022, 09:36:21 PM »

OSR/FTGHN you know darn well he isn't talking about you. Hes talking about people who say Lawrence/Obergefell will be overturned next. Stop with the victim complex
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #206 on: May 02, 2022, 09:37:04 PM »

OSR/FTGHN you know darn well he isn't talking about you. Hes talking about people who say Lawrence/Obergefell will be overturned next. Stop with the victim complex

Asking for mod transparency is a victim complex?
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #207 on: May 02, 2022, 09:37:04 PM »

And ISTFG, if Manchin & Sinema won't finally vote to end the filibuster, at least on a bill to just do a Lilly Ledbetter & statutorily codify Roe, then what good are they even for? We have to assume that we only have the majority for 8 more months. Use it, f**kers! This, if NOTHING else, is what it's f**king for!!

Well Manchin is pro-life. In fact he probably would have lost to a Republican in West Virginia in 2018 if he supported Roe. So I'm not sure what you're complaining about there.

Joe Manchin is pro-Joe Manchin. He will do whatever enables him to exercise the most influence, flip-flopping included.

Manchin exercises the most influence by getting re-elected by West Virginians in 2024. Voting for a federal abortion law would end his political career. Would Roe be safer with Patrick Morrisey in the Senate and a Republican majority blocking Breyer from retiring?

If you want to be angry at a Democratic politician for lacking votes in the Senate to enshrine Roe, be angry at Cal Cunningham, Sarah Gideon and Ben Nelson for blowing winnable races in purple states. Being angry at Manchin for not signing Democrats' political death warrant in his state is infantile.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #208 on: May 02, 2022, 09:38:05 PM »

Um no, this needs clarification.

Which part?  This isn’t complicated; use your common sense.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #209 on: May 02, 2022, 09:38:20 PM »

And ISTFG, if Manchin & Sinema won't finally vote to end the filibuster, at least on a bill to just do a Lilly Ledbetter & statutorily codify Roe, then what good are they even for? We have to assume that we only have the majority for 8 more months. Use it, f**kers! This, if NOTHING else, is what it's f**king for!!

Well Manchin is pro-life. In fact he probably would have lost to a Republican in West Virginia in 2018 if he supported Roe. So I'm not sure what you're complaining about there.

Joe Manchin is pro-Joe Manchin. He will do whatever enables him to exercise the most influence, flip-flopping included.

Manchin exercises the most influence by getting re-elected by West Virginians in 2024. Voting for a federal abortion law would end his political career. Would Roe be safer with Patrick Morrisey in the Senate and a Republican majority blocking Breyer from retiring?

If you want to be angry at a Democratic politician, be angry at Cal Cunningham, Sarah Gideon and Ben Nelson for blowing winnable races in purple states. Being angry at Manchin for not signing Democrats' political death warrant in his state is infantile.

You mean be upset at Schumer for forcing them on the state parties?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #210 on: May 02, 2022, 09:40:37 PM »

Bear in mind the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg never liked this decision from the day it was handed down, so I doubt she'd be as apoplectic as some of you are that it is about to be overturned. 
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #211 on: May 02, 2022, 09:40:41 PM »

I have moved Wexton (VA-10) from Lean Dem to Likely Dem and Spanberger (VA-07) from tilt Republican to Lean Democratic.

However, the ruling has not even been made and its possible that Roberts and Kavanaugh may carve out a middle ground position.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #212 on: May 02, 2022, 09:41:05 PM »

While this is obviously GREAT news, pray that the 5 Supreme Court justices in the pro-life majority remain strong until the verdict is official. Pray for the state governments around the country that will determine abortion laws in every state.

Pray for the hearts and minds of every person in this nation. Pray that the Church will be able to continue to stand for both unborn babies and mothers with love, Truth, and compassion!

But, most of all, I'm so happy that I literally just cried. I've been waiting for this day since January 2008 (when I first heard of abortion) and sometimes wondered if it would ever come!!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #213 on: May 02, 2022, 09:41:11 PM »

If you want to be angry at a Democratic politician, be angry at Cal Cunningham, Sarah Gideon and Ben Nelson for blowing winnable races in purple states. Being angry at Manchin for not signing Democrats' political death warrant in his state is infantile.

Schumer didn’t do that lol
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #214 on: May 02, 2022, 09:42:08 PM »

Bear in mind the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg never liked this decision from the day it was handed down, so I doubt she'd be as apoplectic as some of you are that it is about to be overturned. 

Ginsburg was also a narcissist and a major reason for the Court's current composition. I couldn't care less about what she would have to say.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #215 on: May 02, 2022, 09:42:40 PM »

look I know mr x can be disingenuous but its obvious what he's talking about. As I said above, people in this thread are fear mongering about the SCOTUS using the same logic to overturn Griswold/Obergefell/Lawrence. That's absolutely concern trolling
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #216 on: May 02, 2022, 09:43:50 PM »

There's a lot of blame to go round. Manchin is near the bottom of the list. His election in 2012 and 2018 in a state Republicans were carrying by 30 points was heroic for Democrats' judicial agenda.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #217 on: May 02, 2022, 09:44:07 PM »

look I know mr x can be disingenuous but its obvious what he's talking about. As I said above, people in this thread are fear mongering about the SCOTUS using the same logic to overturn Griswold/Obergefell/Lawrence. That's absolutely concern trolling

Right, ERM is a spam bot who should've been banned long ago.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #218 on: May 02, 2022, 09:44:30 PM »

I don't think that is the case here. It's obvious what he means but we can't say it
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #219 on: May 02, 2022, 09:44:55 PM »

I would encourage you to read what parts of Roe Justice Ginsburg took issue with, what she would have written had she been on the court, and what the conservative majority says about her logic before continuing to embarrass yourself in this thread.
James Monroe

« Reply #220 on: May 02, 2022, 09:45:16 PM »

Christian Nationalism wins tonight, the soul of America loses.

We're going to need motivation from pro-choice this Fall, because this is a serious backwards to the health and safety of woman in our country. A certain segment of the country is more concerned with punishing woman than providing them the most available option for an abortion, however they find it troubling.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #221 on: May 02, 2022, 09:45:53 PM »

While this is obviously GREAT news, pray that the 5 Supreme Court justices in the pro-life majority remain strong until the verdict is official. Pray for the state governments around the country that will determine abortion laws in every state.

Pray for the hearts and minds of every person in this nation. Pray that the Church will be able to continue to stand for both unborn babies and mothers with love, Truth, and compassion!

But, most of all, I'm so happy that I literally just cried. I've been waiting for this day since January 2008 (when I first heard of abortion) and sometimes wondered if it would ever come!!

Why do you hate women so much?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #222 on: May 02, 2022, 09:46:24 PM »

This logic makes no sense. If the outcome is already known, then "the blow" already happened/is currently happening/will be happening.

If the end result is, instead, an opinion by Thomas that isn't quite so egregiously awful and transparently political, the right can use the contrast between Alito's naked partisan ****-take and Thomas' technically equivalent but far more normal-seeming opinion to paint it as liberals getting all bent out of shape over "business as usual". It won't help them with any pro-choice voters, but it will help them maintain the illusion for their followers that they're the "normal" part of the country.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #223 on: May 02, 2022, 09:47:02 PM »

Nothing about that post suggests he hates women.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #224 on: May 02, 2022, 09:47:06 PM »

He hates the constitution more. I usually don't like Handmaid's Tale comparisons but they actually do fit with him.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies