Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:30:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 667 668 669 670 671 [672] 673 674 675 676 677 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 929689 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16775 on: October 24, 2022, 08:04:34 PM »

Meanwhile Chechen Mobniks received a warm Ukrainian welcome in Kherson Oblast...

So that's how you translate the Ukrainian word for hello into Chechen...
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16776 on: October 24, 2022, 08:25:38 PM »

This one made me laugh as well... not totally into the whole "meme scene" but still...

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16777 on: October 24, 2022, 08:30:44 PM »

More Russian poor smoking habits...

As I posted yesterday the quality of cigs being provided to Russian soldiers is inferior.

I would image they don't have the safety standards of higher quality cigarettes, which are designed to "self-extinguish" to prevent accidentally contribute either house fires or industrial accidents.

https://www.flameretardants-online.com/news/archive?showid=17920

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16778 on: October 24, 2022, 08:35:18 PM »

Russian General demonstrates how "Rank DOES NOT always have its privileges" (Despite the traditional UK phrase RHIP, which traditionally is the reality in most militaries globally) and he can use the same tools as the ordinary eqpt as officers close to the frontline...

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16779 on: October 24, 2022, 10:10:16 PM »

First changes of the map since the 14th (except for the Ukrainian counteroffensive on the outskirts of Bakhmut, which was added yesterday):

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #16780 on: October 24, 2022, 11:35:50 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/10/24/biden-ukraine-liberals/

"Liberal lawmakers urge Biden to shift Ukraine strategy"

A group of 30 House liberals is urging President Biden to dramatically shift his strategy on the Ukraine war and pursue direct negotiations with Russia, the first time prominent members of his own party have pushed him to change his approach to Ukraine.  

bunch of commies imo, hopefully they lose their seats this midterm
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #16781 on: October 25, 2022, 03:46:26 AM »

Meanwhile Chechen Mobniks received a warm Ukrainian welcome in Kherson Oblast...

Private Conscriptovich might not be the dumbest person in the Russian army after all...
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #16782 on: October 25, 2022, 05:59:26 AM »

Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #16783 on: October 25, 2022, 09:25:08 AM »

Every journalist who uses the word "SLAMMED" in a headline like this deserves to be shot.

That is all.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16784 on: October 25, 2022, 09:31:44 AM »

This "dirty bomb" stuff is deeply concerning.

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #16785 on: October 25, 2022, 12:13:40 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #16786 on: October 25, 2022, 01:13:06 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2022, 01:27:19 PM by Storr »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16787 on: October 25, 2022, 01:24:58 PM »

Video shows new Russian recruits talking about rusty, jammed weapons and being forced to buy their own uniforms and gear.

https://us.cnn.com/videos/world/2022/10/25/russian-soldiers-new-video-uniforms-weapons-ebof-vpx.cnn
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #16788 on: October 25, 2022, 04:31:07 PM »

It's so odd to have a (supposedly) devout Muslim be supportive of a war started by an Orthodox nation, which has a long history of repressions, deportations, and genocide against Muslims. We know the obvious reason why he supports Russia (they put his father in power and have bankrolled his "Republic" in Chechnya ever since).

I guess that is his best argument in support of the war to the Chechen people; that Russia is fighting against "degeneracy and satanism". They certainly don't care about "the Russian Mir" or Russia's "sphere of influence".

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #16789 on: October 25, 2022, 04:33:47 PM »

Meanwhile on Russia-1:

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16790 on: October 25, 2022, 04:43:49 PM »

It's so odd to have a (supposedly) devout Muslim be supportive of a war started by an Orthodox nation, which has a long history of repressions, deportations, and genocide against Muslims. We know the obvious reason why he supports Russia (they put his father in power and have bankrolled his "Republic" in Chechnya ever since).

I guess that is his best argument in support of the war to the Chechen people; that Russia is fighting against "degeneracy and satanism". They certainly don't care about "the Russian Mir" or Russia's "sphere of influence".

To be fair to Kadryov, "supposedly" is doing a lot of work. He published photos of himself praying dramatically "in Ukraine" (at a Russian gas station). Then there was this:

Wood of the True Cross theatre: Islamic edition. I think it is cosplay for him.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16791 on: October 25, 2022, 05:29:08 PM »

Kadyrov is nothing but Chechnya's Quisling, a man who sold out his country to become Putin's enforcer there. It's not surprising in the slightest that he's making a mockery of his faith too. He doesn't care about Islam any more than he cares about his countrymen - all he cares about is himself.

And BTW, real Chechen patriots are out there fighting - on Ukraine's side.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16792 on: October 25, 2022, 05:42:25 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2022, 06:09:12 PM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

Russia's history towards Muslims is not straightforward. Its involvement with Muslims predates Uzbeks being present in 1700s Moscow. The Russians engaged in suppression of Islam on some level but also where home to the last Sultanate in the world. In general, I'd say Putin has done more to help Chechnya than he has done to hurt it. Chechnya gets a better deal than basically any other part of Russia besides Moscow and St. Petersburg. He's also recognized the Muslim contribution to Russia rather effusively. He views Muslims as a constituency to woo over to his side.

Both sides in this war are wooing Muslims. Muslims are divided between both sides in this war. Neither side is more or less "Muslim" than the other.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16793 on: October 25, 2022, 05:48:07 PM »

Yes, I'm sure Chechens thought they were getting a very good deal when their cities were being leveled to the ground by Putin. Truly an enviable deal there.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16794 on: October 25, 2022, 05:51:42 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2022, 05:58:55 PM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

Yes, I'm sure Chechens thought they were getting a very good deal when their cities were being ground into dust by Putin. Truly an enviable deal there.
My man, I don't think you're aware of the history of Chechnya within Russia didn't stop in the year 2000, or how crazy the separatists where, or how many billions of bucks have gone into building up Grozny, or the broader understanding of how Putin handles Muslim issues (He sees us as a constituency to placate lest anything bad occur from the most radical and misled of us).
Your frame of reference is incredibly limited.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #16795 on: October 25, 2022, 05:58:30 PM »

Yes, I'm sure Chechens thought they were getting a very good deal when their cities were being leveled to the ground by Putin. Truly an enviable deal there.
And being thrust into the hands of one of the greatest human rights abusers on the planet. Oh yes, Putin has treated the Chechens with a truly benevolent hand.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16796 on: October 25, 2022, 06:02:23 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2022, 06:07:39 PM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

And being thrust into the hands of one of the greatest human rights abusers on the planet. Oh yes, Putin has treated the Chechens with a truly benevolent hand.
Compared to the people who were running the show before then? Give me Putin any day. The Chechnyan separatists were crazed fanatics.
Look at what Grozny is now. Can you earnestly tell me that's worse than being an ISIS-style state? The crimes of Putin then and now don't change the facts of 1999 and 2000. There are bigger evils in the world than Vladimir Putin, and reality is not a comic book where the sole baddies in every chapter are the Russians.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16797 on: October 25, 2022, 06:16:56 PM »

Yes, I'm sure Chechens thought they were getting a very good deal when their cities were being ground into dust by Putin. Truly an enviable deal there.
My man, I don't think you're aware of the history of Chechnya within Russia didn't stop in the year 2000, or how crazy the separatists where, or how many billions of bucks have gone into building up Grozny, or the broader understanding of how Putin handles Muslim issues (He sees us as a constituency to placate lest anything bad occur from the most radical and misled of us).

Wow, you're so enlightened. Here I was thinking razing an entire country was bad, but you've really opened my eyes.

I don't know why I even bother with you. The day you'll realize that geopolitical issues involve the real lives of real human beings and aren't just an excuse to showcase your superior intellect, maybe you'll be worth engaging with.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16798 on: October 25, 2022, 06:20:51 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2022, 06:24:04 PM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

Wow, you're so enlightened. Here I was thinking razing an entire country was bad, but you've really opened my eyes.

I don't know why I even bother with you. The day you'll realize that geopolitical issues involve the real lives of real human beings and aren't just an excuse to showcase your superior intellect, maybe you'll be worth engaging with.
Point to where I have said the Russians weren't terrible in how they conducted themselves in the Chechen War (something I've actually made reference to multiple times in-thread - querying to someone months ago about whether Russian tactics cause unnecessary casualties). There can be two bad sides in a war.
Also: yes I do care about human lives. That's why I think about how to entrench and protect the global order long-term. You'd realize that if you read my posts more thoroughly, but you don't, so what you said is misinformed, to put it kindly. I could use much harsher words here and be in the right, but I won't.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16799 on: October 25, 2022, 06:24:26 PM »

Point to where I have said the Russians weren't terrible in how they conducted themselves in the Chechen War (something I've actually made reference to multiple times in-thread - querying to someone months ago about whether Russian tactics cause unnecessary casualties). There can be two bad sides in a war.

None of what you said here is actually relevant to the point at hand, yet you keep bringing it up as if it changes anything to the moral stakes at hand. You keep doing this constantly with everything - every time a Russian war crime is unearthed, you make sure to point out Ukrainians have done bad stuff too (often incredibly minor or purely speculative stuff, mind you). It's like you're allergic to the very notion of moral clarity.
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 669 670 671 [672] 673 674 675 676 677 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies