January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:10:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 151
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 141042 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: July 05, 2022, 03:20:33 PM »

Didn’t Lindsey call officials in GA trying to pressure them similar to Trump?

Or am I remembering wrong?

From the AJC article:

Graham separately called Raffensperger in the days following the November 2020 elections and allegedly questioned whether the secretary of state had the power to reject more legally cast absentee ballots to help Trump narrow his deficit in Georgia. Graham denied the allegation.

This won't be hard to prove either way.  No one's phone records are untouchable.

I don't think Graham is denying he made the calls, just their characterization as to their content. Just why out of state politicians think it appropriate to hit on those charged with counting the votes escapes me. Just why such calls are picked up by the vote counters also escapes me.

I thought he denied the call, but yeah, the characterization of the content will clearly be different between both parties.  Graham will be just fine.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1301 on: July 05, 2022, 04:11:02 PM »

They've just announced a hearing for next Tuesday. (j6 committee)
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1302 on: July 05, 2022, 04:25:07 PM »

Didn’t Lindsey call officials in GA trying to pressure them similar to Trump?

Or am I remembering wrong?

From the AJC article:

Graham separately called Raffensperger in the days following the November 2020 elections and allegedly questioned whether the secretary of state had the power to reject more legally cast absentee ballots to help Trump narrow his deficit in Georgia. Graham denied the allegation.

This won't be hard to prove either way.  No one's phone records are untouchable.

I don't think Graham is denying he made the calls, just their characterization as to their content. Just why out of state politicians think it appropriate to hit on those charged with counting the votes escapes me. Just why such calls are picked up by the vote counters also escapes me.

This was my main thought when the Graham call was first reported as well. The fact he even placed the call as a hyper-partisan trump supporting US Senator from another state absolutely reeks of corrupt intent. He had no business calling the GA SoS, and his staff should have refused the call. Why even entertain it? Lindsay Graham is no more his constituent than I am. The GA SoS is employed by and answers to GA voters and media, period.

It'll be interesting how Graham answers when he is asked before the grand jury why he called in the first place. Who did he speak to prior? Who asked him to call? Who told him what to say?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1303 on: July 05, 2022, 04:27:35 PM »

They've just announced a hearing for next Tuesday. (j6 committee)

I believe this is back to our regularly scheduled program, with the topic being the Proud Boys and Oathkeepers (and other far-right militia elements).
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1304 on: July 05, 2022, 05:29:43 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1305 on: July 06, 2022, 09:54:37 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1306 on: July 06, 2022, 10:26:36 AM »

Truly the actions of an innocent man!

Just hope this won't drag on for months and quickly gets thrown out the window. If Graham actually faces legal consequences, he should resign from the senate right away.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1307 on: July 06, 2022, 10:30:46 AM »

Cipollone reaches deal to give transcribed interview to January 6 committee Friday

Trump White House Counsel Pat Cipollone has reached a deal with the January 6 committee to participate in a transcribed interview behind closed doors on Friday, multiple sources told CNN.

Cipollone will be appearing under subpoena. A source familiar with his thinking says Cipollone intended to comply with the subpoena issued on June 29 for a July 6 interview, and it was extended until July 8. The interview will be on video, two of the sources told CNN.

Cipollone, who many former administration officials credit with helping to prevent then-President Donald Trump from taking legally questionable actions in the months around the 2020 presidential election, has long been considered a key witness by the committee. He has resisted talking further with the committee after previously sitting for a closed-door interview on April 13.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/06/politics/pat-cipollone-deposition-january-6-committee-this-week/index.html
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1308 on: July 06, 2022, 01:58:38 PM »

I have crossed paths with both of his attorneys. They are very good at what they do.

Unless Graham's call was recorded, I doubt anything will come of this.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1309 on: July 06, 2022, 02:51:26 PM »

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1310 on: July 06, 2022, 06:34:59 PM »

If these elitists refuse to answer subpoenas, they should be arrested just like we commoners would be.

If I refused to comply with a subpoena, I would be arrested.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1311 on: July 07, 2022, 12:53:29 PM »

This is in addition to the hearing scheduled for July 12 at 10am EDT.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1312 on: July 07, 2022, 01:03:58 PM »

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1313 on: July 07, 2022, 09:13:03 PM »

Luria will be very interesting to watch. She really hasn't said much yet and she is facing a tough GE in November; perhaps she will be very careful about the optics of what she says? Wonder too if she'll get any ad-worthy moments eitehr for use herself or by her challenger
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1314 on: July 08, 2022, 11:49:59 AM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1315 on: July 08, 2022, 12:00:27 PM »

I think basically he just doesn't want to talk about any conversations he had one on one with Trump.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1316 on: July 08, 2022, 01:44:18 PM »

I think basically he just doesn't want to talk about any conversations he had one on one with Trump.

There are certainly reasonable privilege limitations on such communications between the White House Counsel and President.  But the other things he can likely testify to outside of privilege are probably making Trump extremely nervous.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1317 on: July 08, 2022, 04:26:43 PM »

It just wrapped. He testified for 8 hours.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1318 on: July 08, 2022, 04:38:20 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2022, 06:00:58 PM by emailking »

Zoe Lofgren confirmed he did not invoke the 5th Amendment. Would not talk about other privileges.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1319 on: July 08, 2022, 05:18:38 PM »

Trump considers waiving claim of executive privilege for Steve Bannon

Former President Donald Trump is considering sending a letter to Stephen K. Bannon saying that he is waiving his claim of executive privilege, potentially clearing the way for his former chief strategist to testify before the House select committee investigating the pro-Trump riot at the Capitol.

The letter would reiterate that Trump invoked executive privilege in September 2021, when Bannon was first subpoenaed by the House committee. But it would say that the former president is now willing to give up that claim — which has been disputed — if Bannon can reach an agreement on the terms of an appearance before the panel. The letter was described by three people familiar with it, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the matter’s sensitivity.

Some advisers were seeking to talk Trump out of signing the letter.

Bannon was charged with contempt of Congress in November 2021 for refusing to comply with the subpoena. A trial on those charges is scheduled to begin July 18, though Bannon has sought to delay the proceedings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/07/08/bannon-executive-privilege-trump-january-6/

Might mean he will testify because this is what he said he wanted to testify. Also could mean DOJ is putting pressure on Bannon.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1320 on: July 08, 2022, 07:32:38 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1321 on: July 08, 2022, 07:38:30 PM »

Trump considers waiving claim of executive privilege for Steve Bannon

Former President Donald Trump is considering sending a letter to Stephen K. Bannon saying that he is waiving his claim of executive privilege, potentially clearing the way for his former chief strategist to testify before the House select committee investigating the pro-Trump riot at the Capitol.

The letter would reiterate that Trump invoked executive privilege in September 2021, when Bannon was first subpoenaed by the House committee. But it would say that the former president is now willing to give up that claim — which has been disputed — if Bannon can reach an agreement on the terms of an appearance before the panel. The letter was described by three people familiar with it, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the matter’s sensitivity.

Some advisers were seeking to talk Trump out of signing the letter.

Bannon was charged with contempt of Congress in November 2021 for refusing to comply with the subpoena. A trial on those charges is scheduled to begin July 18, though Bannon has sought to delay the proceedings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/07/08/bannon-executive-privilege-trump-january-6/

Might mean he will testify because this is what he said he wanted to testify. Also could mean DOJ is putting pressure on Bannon.

This is meaningless.  There is no possible executive privilege claim for Bannon.  Apart from the fact that the current President has the final say on such claims -- and Biden has denied all such -- there could be no conceivable privilege because Bannon wasn't an employee of the U.S. government at the time.  He left his government position in 2017!
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1322 on: July 08, 2022, 07:45:14 PM »

There's got to be some reason for it though. It seems like Bannon wants to make a deal and he needs an excuse to testify.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1323 on: July 09, 2022, 08:42:56 AM »

BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #1324 on: July 09, 2022, 11:58:03 AM »

There's got to be some reason for it though. It seems like Bannon wants to make a deal and he needs an excuse to testify.
lol
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 151  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies