January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:56:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 134995 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 19, 2021, 06:02:18 PM »

Who are the other four?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 03:46:55 PM »

They were heard on November 2.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 09:42:08 AM »

Next up: Herrera Beutler, Katko, Rice…
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 03:22:06 PM »

I’m still trying to figure out who is Mike T. Pence.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 01:17:35 AM »

Excellent choice.  Riggleman is a former intelligence analyst and was well respected by both sides during his time in the House.

I still can't get past the Bigfoot erotica thing though...

His office was right next to the back entrance in the Longworth building and every time I passed it during my internship I couldn’t stop thinking about it. Also his silly name. Denver Riggleman III.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 04:43:45 PM »

Depressing. How quickly we forget.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 04:25:38 PM »

If Merrick Garland doesn’t press charges, what’s even the point? Locking up a bunch of randos and letting the man at the top go free?

On the other hand, though, how could you ever get a jury that’s impartial about Trump?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 11:54:08 AM »

“Whoever corruptly … obstructs, influences, or impedes any official proceeding, or attempts to do so,
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.”

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1512#c_2
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 06:58:20 PM »

Trump had his day in many different courts constantly for months and lost almost every single time.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 03:40:33 PM »

Mark Meadows was forwarding YouTube videos from random conspiracy theorists about MI6 and Italian satellites to the DoJ. The best people, folks!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 04:45:16 PM »

The speculation is that it's a reluctant witness so you go now. Must be big to get everyone back the week before the 4th.

Could be Cipollone. Or Mo Brooks has decided to testify.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2022, 06:31:43 PM »

Somebody thinks it's Anthony Kennedy.

What???
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 12:18:25 PM »

Hutchinson says Meadows told her the 6th might get “real real bad”.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2022, 03:08:02 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2022, 04:31:04 PM by H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY »

So, to recap:

Trump knew attendees at the Jan 6 rally were armed, and Meadows and Giuliani knew days before that it might become violent.

Cipollone and others told Trump to remove language about fighting and marching to the Capitol for fear of legal liability, which he did not do.

Trump insisted on being driven to the Capitol after the rally and physically attacked a Secret Service agent who refused to do so.

Trump said that the rioters shouting to hang Mike Pence were correct and that Pence deserved it.

Mike Flynn refused to say whether he believes that the violence was justified or if he believes in the peaceful transfer of power.

Giuliani was discussing Oathkeepers and Proud Boys, and Meadows (at Trump’s instruction) was in contact with Flynn and Roger Stone the day before the attack.

Meadows and Giuliani both requested pardons.

Trumpworld figures have been pressuring witnesses not to testify.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2022, 04:17:11 PM »

That was some pretty damning testimony from Cassidy Hutchinson

I admit that I was sceptical that the January 6th committee would be able to show me something that shocked or even surprised me at this point, but today's testimony had my jaw hitting the floor lol

The image of Trump trying to strangle his own Secret Service agent in an attempt to reach Capitol on Jan. 6 will forever be a dark stain on his legacy

Will this stick though? Can anyone corroborate the story? That is the big question moving forward...

Deputy chief of staff Tony Ornato, allegedly.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2022, 07:56:36 PM »

Okay. Is Mark Meadows gonna testify that Trump didn’t say that stuff about Pence and the rioters?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2022, 07:05:39 AM »

The stunt man Trump stuff was some of the most entertaining hearsay stuff ever. Of course her entire testimony was mostly hearsay.

Learn what hearsay actually is and then come back.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2022, 09:54:09 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2022, 10:53:43 PM by H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY »

...apparently not.

Ohohoho…

Hopefully whatever he has to say will be damning enough to push this bs about the Secret Service agent out of the news cycle.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2022, 10:53:16 PM »

The more I think about it, the more the SUV dustup makes me convinced that the rest of Hutchinson’s testimony is true. If they were so quick to bring people out to testify under oath that Trump didn’t attack Engel, it raises the obvious question of why they haven’t done the same regarding any other part of what she said. Where’s Mark Meadows contradicting the idea that Trump endorsed the “hang Mike Pence” chants? Or the allegations that he knew the protesters were armed and was warned not to direct them to the Capitol?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2022, 08:43:41 AM »

The Department of Justice has issued subpoenas to Arizona State Senators Karen Fann (R) and Kelly Townsend (R) for their involvement in efforts to overturn Biden's victory in Arizona.   

The Justice Department (DOJ) has issued subpoenas to two Arizona state senators seeking information about interactions they may have had with former President Trump’s lawyers as part of the department’s investigation into efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election, multiple outlets reported.

Kim Quintero, a spokeswoman for Arizona Senate Republicans, confirmed to multiple outlets that state Senate President Karen Fann (R) and state Sen. Kelly Townsend (R) received subpoenas last week.

Quintero told The Washington Post that Fann and Townsend are cooperating with the subpoenas, and that staff have identified tens of thousands of records potentially relevant to the department’s request.

“They’re requesting text messages and emails from a list of people, which I can’t disclose who those people are, because they told us not to speak with the media about this,” she said.

Quintero, Fann and Townsend did not immediately return requests from The Hill for comment.

The news of the subpoenas was first reported by Arizona political tip sheet The Yellow Report.

And so it begins…
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2022, 07:15:02 PM »

Hutchinson's testimony was clearly always going to be the most discussed and circulated in the media. But I think the Trump hacks may have actually given it even more oxygen by prolonging its life in the media cycle with the whole Secret Service-"hearsay" assertions. And now it seems like it may be producing a ripple effect and may just get worse for them and their cult leader.

If that happens, then I will have to revisit my leap of faith into atheism.

Well, I should clarify, I'm still not getting my hopes up for an indictment entirely because of this, but continued attention extrapolating from the Hutchinson testimony throughout the summer will not be good for perceptions of Trump, especially since some close to him are purportedly nervous about it.

What’ll really matter most of all is who steps forward to testify as a result, as we’re apparently already seeing, and what they say - to the committee and to the Justice Department.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2022, 09:15:20 PM »

Exactly. Trump’s defenders can presumably testify whenever they want to refute these claims. Why won’t they?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2022, 09:20:00 PM »

Exactly. Trump’s defenders can presumably testify whenever they want to refute these claims. Why won’t they?
The obvious answer is they don't want to give legitimacy to what they perceive to be a sham investigation.

Hillary Clinton testified for hours about Benghazi for what Kevin McCarthy essentially admitted on the news to be a sham investigation.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2022, 03:46:12 PM »

Watergate prosecutor says slapping Trump with a charge for rebellion or insurrection could prevent him from ever holding office again

"I think it would be horrible not to act on what is now blatantly obvious to anyone who has watched the hearings," Wine-Banks said.

She noted that, unlike a seditious conspiracy charge, a rebellion or insurrection charge would see the convicted offender barred from "ever holding federal office again."

Wine-Banks called the penalty a "more important goal than jailing the former president."

She added that Trump could face several other charges based on the testimonies presented at the January 6 hearings.

"There is, of course, obstruction of Congress, obstruction of justice, witness tampering, so many things just based on Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony," Wine-Banks said.

In April, Wine-Banks said she believed Trump's potentially criminal actions on January 6 could be "incalculably worse" than those of former President Richard Nixon.

I have to agree that simply barring Trump from ever holding any kind of office again would be preferable over jail time if I have to choose only one.
GWBFan, serious question.

Many people have suggested that Trump is a bad candidate, has no chance of winning, etc.

If this is the case, why do you want him barred from holding office? Surely if he can't win according to many, there's no chance he can hold office. No?

Some people don’t make decisions based purely on what maximizes their side’s chances of winning, but rather on this funky thing called beliefs and principles.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2022, 04:27:35 PM »

They've just announced a hearing for next Tuesday. (j6 committee)

I believe this is back to our regularly scheduled program, with the topic being the Proud Boys and Oathkeepers (and other far-right militia elements).
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies