January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:47:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 136204 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« on: June 28, 2022, 04:13:36 PM »

This whole thing is mindboggling. And yet, as mindboggling as it is, I still expect nothing to come of it, and worse, Trump could run again in 2024 and finish off what he started, i.e. having himself declared the dictator of this country.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 01:58:38 PM »

I have crossed paths with both of his attorneys. They are very good at what they do.

Unless Graham's call was recorded, I doubt anything will come of this.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 09:51:16 AM »

I think both GA and Garland are anxious awaiting the outcome of the EDay to charge Trump why charge Trump now and the R Congress can interfere, of course they both hope that Ds get a Filibuster proof Majority, GA Prosecution said clearly she will finalize her decision at the end of the yr after EDay that gives you a hint waiting for D's to keep control

We are inside 180 days there a war but partisans get more partisan especially Days when we get closer to EDay , we are leading in our 303 states but the question is the House

Trump is not going to be charged with anything connected to this insurrection unless more damning evidence comes out. It's indisputable that his words did rile up his crowd, but there is no evidence that I am aware of that shows he assisted in planning the ransacking of the Capital.

It's possible he hoped what happened would happen, and he obviously enjoyed it, but he can't be charged based on that, at least that I am aware of. He never instructed his followers to break into the Capital. He merely told them to March to the Capital, which is not a crime. You can't convict him on what his real intentions may have been.

He's still a fascist sympathizer and would like to be crowned king/dictator, but he won't go to jail and I'd be surprised if he's even charged.

Keep in mind I do not practice criminal law so I only have a basic understanding of that.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 11:28:42 AM »

Kinzinger definitely had a great speech at the end.

I wish more Republicans had courage to stand up to what they know is wrong. I wish the American people weren't engaged in party tribalism. I hope Trump's attempted coup has not opened the door for future attempts.

I fear that's exactly what it has done. You're seeing election denial in a bunch of Republicans running for office this cycle. The longer current Republicans continue to go along with this for fear of losing voters, the more dangerous this becomes.

It's possible that January 6 was simply a trial run for the next time. It's frightening to think there is a real chance the GOP regains control of Congress in November.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 02:22:11 PM »

The D's want an indictment before the EDay and they should get one but it's clear since Mueller probe that DOJ is mostly out to get as well as NY Trump acquaintance like Cohen, Mansfield, and Bannon, they haven't laid a hand on Trump himself

Kari Lake said the DOJ won't lay a hand on him because Trump is Superman, he maybe invulnerable to prosecution but the R brand name has been damaged as I said it's a 303 map

But, of course D's want Trump prosecuted before the Election they want a sure thing so they can save the H, we are gonna keep the Senate anyways

If Garland were to indict Trump, it won't be before the midterms because you potentially motivate the MAGA types to turn out in droves for GOP candidates even without Trump on the ballot. Trump will most certainly spin an indictment as a "witch hunt" by the "radical left."

The best chances the Democrats have to hold onto any chamber of Congress is for MAGA types to stay home with Trump not on the ballot. However, Republicans tend to turnout better in midterms than Democrats.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 02:29:41 PM »

Does this committee plan to continue working through January? I expect the Republicans will shut this down if they regain control of the House in the midterms.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 02:58:50 PM »

Police snub McConnell and McCarthy at Jan. 6 gold medal ceremony

Capitol police refused to shake hands of Republican leaders during a Jan 6 ceremony today.

I mean, can you blame them?

Of course not. Republican leaders were more concerned about appeasing Trump rather than defend the constitution and the lives lost on that day.

They still don't get it.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 03:14:48 PM »

I wonder how much longer Trump's fans will fund his legal bills before they are tapped out? This has been ongoing now for 2 years.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 12:15:41 PM »

Great! This will wrap up the GOP nomination for Trump now. The more times he's indicted, the stronger he becomes.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2023, 04:04:26 PM »

Great! This will wrap up the GOP nomination for Trump now. The more times he's indicted, the stronger he becomes.

Also looking forward to all of his GOP “opponents” falling over themselves to see who can defend him first.

Imagine running against someone but refusing to challenge or say anything negative about them. Why even waste everyone's time running at all
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2023, 09:00:06 PM »

DeSantis on CNN

First question: “if Jack smith has evidence that Trump committed a crime, should Smith bring those charges”

Then Desantis starts talking about Alvin Bragg. He goes on and on without ever giving an answer to the question (and he was asked twice). I’m becoming more understanding of how DeSantis’ campaign has been going downhill

Cause all DeSantis can do is try to dodge these questions because if he answers “yes trump should be indicted” , his chances at the gop nomination would completely go up in smoke .

If DeSantis wants to be the anti-Trump candidate, then he needs to start acting like it.

People who are angry about a Trump indictment are already voting for Trump. He gains nothing by defending Trump every step of the way.

Maybe the primary system has lost its usage and we should junk it completely

It never had any usage but we’ve seen the hostile takeover of one party and came pretty close to the hostile takeover of another party. It’s clear it should be abolished for the good of the country.

This celebration in this post in light of everything suggests extreme ignorance. What will all of you who cheer him becoming the nominee do if he actually wins? Pretend that you learned the lessons of 2016 and 2020?

Calm down, dude. I'm totally kidding. I've been anti-Trump from the beginning. Read my other posts. I find both Trump and DeSantis the biggest threats to our democracy in this race
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2023, 10:25:03 AM »

It's so wild to me that a man with 3 indictments, and maybe 4 if Georgia indicts him, is far and away the leader for the Republican nomination.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2023, 04:06:36 PM »

As an attorney, I can't stop laughing at this stuff. Trump knows investigations like this take time. There was no way he'd be indicted 2.5 years ago, but his followers will eat it up.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2023, 06:30:55 PM »

He keeps giving these responses that literally no one will like lol.

He has to be the most inept presidential candidate I have ever seen.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2023, 07:34:59 PM »

What a weak reply by DeSantis

Ramaswamy was on Fox just minutes ago. He cited a Court case that indicated that candidates are allowed to lie (which should protect Trump’s dishonesty during 2020), he says a president shouldn’t be indicted on novel theories, and he cites DOJ’s response to his FOIL result to argue that the DOJ should be mistrusted

Unlike DeSantis, Ramaswamy and Pence have at least given decent responses to the indictment … how can DeSantis just admit outright that he didn’t read the indictment

The indictment isn't about Trump lying. He is allowed to say whatever he wants. It's about the fact he and his co-conspirators took action to overturn and subvert the will of the voters knowing what they were doing was wrong and knowing there was no fraud in the election.

In fact, this indictment has very little to do with what happened on January 6th.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2023, 07:26:36 AM »

Watching Trump surrogates spinning this on CNN this morning is absolutely maddening. No wonder so many people are brainwashed. This FL dope right now is presenting this indictment as an attack on free speech and comparing Trump's actions to Hillary Clinton and John Kerry saying the election was rigged.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2023, 08:41:03 AM »

I think it is reasonable to assume that the possibility was there that Edwards did not know that paying hush money was a campaign finance violation (e.g., it is not intuitively obvious to me that such a payment is a campaign finance violation). It is not reasonable to believe that Trump really believed he won the election because the vote count was inaccurate. Only an insane person would believe that, and while Trump has mental issues, he is not legally insane. So that line of defense is not going to fly with the jury or the higher courts on appeal. His lawyers are going to have to do better than that.

Trump knew he lost. He just didn't think it was illegal to lie and say he won

Simply lying and saying he won wasn't illegal.  But attempting to change the result outside of lawful avenues (election challenges, courts) was illegal.

Right. But Trump allies are already on TV peddling this notion Trump is being charged over his speech. That will be their narrative even though that is misinformation. One ally even went so far to say that if Trump drops out of the race, all these charges would go away (they won't).
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2023, 09:32:44 AM »

Graham really is the most pathetic DC creature

Good thing Jack Smith did not indict Trump for his role in January 6th
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2023, 11:49:59 AM »

Oh it's get even better, many are reporting that one of the 6 indicted co-conspirators whose name is still under seal based on the description is most likely Rudy Giuliani!

I think CNN has confirmed that Giuliani is one of the co-conspirators.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2023, 02:59:42 PM »

They are trying to muddy the waters and convince his followers that they are persecuting him over speech when the indictment has nothing to do with what he said. But most people will not read the indictment so they will believe the BS Trump and his allies are spewing.

If all Trump did was say he won without the pressure campaigns that followed, sure, this case would be DOA.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2023, 02:59:21 PM »

Nice! Since Cannon rejected that time slot for MAL it's left nicely open for this.

If they did that schedule we might have a verdict before Super Tuesday. Although my guess if the judge will give it a few more months given quantity of discovery.
TRUMP is going to get convicted before the General Election at least in one case, maybe more. That's the big thing here.

Good Luck to the Republican Party to cope with this!

To be honest, I'm not sure whether this will actually have an impact on the electorate in the November election. Anyone who's still with Trump as of today won't abandon him because of that as they just see this a a political conspiracy to silence him.

He might lose some institutional support or from Republican officeholders/donor circles, but it won't matter all that much. He won in 2016 without their support as well.

What it can do is bring those undecideds home to Biden in a big way.

I already think most of the undecides will break to Biden/Trump's challeger. I am not sure how anyone could be on the fence about Trump. You either support him or you don't.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2023, 11:03:30 AM »

It's nice to see a judge treating Trump like any other person as opposed to actively helping him, like Judge Cannon.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2024, 05:12:40 PM »

I assume they want to set a national precedent with this. If they do actually rule a President is immune from any criminal charges if he is in office, I guess Biden can execute whoever he wants in the spirit of national security.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2024, 09:22:16 AM »

If, and I mean if, the SCOTUS sides with Trump, they will have essentially given him or any other president a clear path to a dictatorship.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2024, 03:02:44 PM »

The AG in a new Trump admin will serve as Trump's personal attorney and he will be loyal to Trump first before anything else.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies