January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:18:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 134877 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: June 15, 2021, 02:39:29 PM »

As I mentioned in the other thread, Scott MacFarlane (https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews) is the person to follow for progress of the various court cases.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 03:40:54 PM »

Things are going very well and sane and normal and HOW DARE YOU for this particular defendant:

A Pennsylvania woman who allegedly stormed the Capitol and told a police officer to “bring Nancy Pelosi out here now… we want to hang that f—king bitch” has filed court documents claiming to be a divinely empowered entity immune from laws.

Pauline Bauer, a Pennsylvania pizzeria owner, is accused of multiple counts of violent entry, disruptive conduct, and obstruction of Congress after she allegedly broke into the Capitol on Jan. 6. Prosecutors allege that Bauer tried organizing buses to transport people to D.C. for a rally that preceded the riot, and that while in the Capitol rotunda she told police that she wanted to kill House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

But in what experts describe as an inadvisable legal strategy, Bauer has demanded to represent herself in court, appeared to threaten a court clerk with prison time, and declared herself a “self-governed individual” with special legal privileges.

Bauer does not simply appear in court, she clarified during a June 11 proceeding via Zoom. “I am here by special divine appearance, a living soul,” she told a judge that day, while stating that she did not want an attorney.

“I do not stand under the law,” she said. “Under Genesis 1, God gave man dominion over the law.”

So she's going with an insanity defense?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 08:59:03 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 11:10:55 AM »

As noted above, Scott MacFarlane (https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews) is live tweeting the sentencing hearing.  He's the best person to follow for Jan. 6 legal developments.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 11:33:12 AM »

All of the offenses boil down at the least to burglary (going into a place in which one is unauthorized and for which one has no compelling excuse, such as escaping a violent crime or a severe storm).
You are describing trespassing, not burglary. You do not burglarize a building merely through unauthorized entry. Burglary requires intent to commit a separate crime within.

Although his description does match trespassing, burglary would indeed apply to those rioters who entered the Capitol; at a minimum they intended to commit obstruction of Congress, which is a federal crime.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 08:27:02 PM »

This is potentially significant as it could lead to investigators getting closer to those who were plotting ahead of time to organize an attack.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 02:27:05 PM »

The Republicans had every opportunity to be part of a bipartisan commission where they would have had equal representation, equal subpoena power, and other items that they had insisted on in negotiations.  After these negotiations they still chose not to take part. 

They will no doubt complain that the resulting committee is partisan, and this is no doubt true.  But I have zero sympathy for their position; they rejected a bipartisan commission and have no one to blame but themselves.  And I don't think Pelosi and the other Democrats will particularly care about it being called partisan...and may even welcome it.  Making the investigation a partisan battle may very well end up branding Democrats as the party that defends democracy and the Republicans as the party that defends insurrection.  I'm sure Democrats would embrace that result.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 05:09:46 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 07:41:29 PM »

Sorry if someone answered this question, but can Trump legally be subpoened to appear in front of the committee and grilled Hillary Clinton-style for hours on end, even if he just pleads the Fifth to everything?

He can certainly be subpoenaed.  What I don't know (hopefully someone here does) is what power a Congressional committee has to enforce a subpoena if the witness refuses to show up.

ETA: I strongly doubt that Trump is psychologically capable of shutting up and taking the Fifth even if advised to do so by his lawyers.  He'd be unable to resist trying to justify/defend himself.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 09:37:40 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 11:39:38 AM »

Another bipartisan development if it happens:

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 12:15:09 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2021, 02:18:18 PM »

Guys, I'm a bit hypocritical saying this after my last couple posts oh, but don't bother replying to low info voter. He's like a cheap knockoff brand version of big Abraham, whom himself is an awful poster. Total waste of bandwidth.

I put him on Ignore the first day I saw him, and am glad to get confirmation that wasn't a mistake.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2021, 09:21:44 AM »

For those unable to watch the hearing, there are several people live tweeting it.  Brandi Buchman of Courthouse News (https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman) is providing frequent updates.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2021, 11:19:14 AM »

I'm glad US Capitol Police Sergeant Aquilino Gonell isn't walking a beat in the Bronx.  Roll Eyes

OK, you've crossed the line for me.  Ignore time.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 12:24:53 PM »

Maybe this is totally out of line, but something I thought of while watching some clips on Twitter this morning...if he would have any interest (and even aligns this way), should Democrats try to recruit Michael Fanone to run for office? I mean, I'm not sure where he's from originally (if it's not DC, but the accent is difficult to pin down) but he would be a great face for the party and he seems to be genuinely motivated by the horror he went through.

Are you literally trying to push /pol/ to execute daily 1/6s? Because electing cops who were present at 1/6 is how you push /pol/ to execute daily 1/6s.

It would be the end of America.

In what way is electing him incitement of terrorist filth? Because they'll get mad we're not pretending they didn't attempt to overthrow our democracy and assassinate its leaders? "Stand up to us and we'll try to lynch and rape members of your government more?"

The terrorists are already going to try again the next time they lose an election. If they attack earlier because they're offended we're not bending and spreading, genuine Americans will be ready to defend out government and put them down.

We need more patriots in office, instead of terrorist sympathizing Republicans.

Because some people are losing so much faith in America right now that they're considering terrorism in response? Instigating them may not be a smart idea.

So you'd rather appease the terrorists?  That doesn't have a great track record.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2021, 12:32:44 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2021, 01:55:10 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2021, 08:24:49 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 04:25:51 PM »

Another case of credit where credit is due on the Republican side.  Read the whole exchange.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2021, 07:05:23 PM »

Excellent choice.  Riggleman is a former intelligence analyst and was well respected by both sides during his time in the House.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2021, 10:13:07 PM »

Excellent choice.  Riggleman is a former intelligence analyst and was well respected by both sides during his time in the House.

I still can't get past the Bigfoot erotica thing though...

Everyone needs a hobby. Wink
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2021, 09:30:29 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2021, 02:58:05 PM »

Capitol Police officer who shot Ashli Babbitt exonerated in internal probe

The Capitol Police officer who fatally shot Ashli Babbitt outside a door of the U.S. Capitol has been formally exonerated after an internal investigation, according to a department memo obtained by NBC News.
The Justice Department announced in April that no charges were being brought against the officer. The exoneration by the Capitol Police wraps up the last remaining investigation into the incident.

Good.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2021, 04:57:02 PM »

Big Abraham triggered

Look up two replies above yours.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies