Texas 2022 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 07:19:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Texas 2022 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44
Poll
Question: Current gubernatorial rating?
Safe R

Likely R

Lean R

Tossup/tilt R

Tossup/tilt D

Lean D

Likely D

Safe D

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 245

Author Topic: Texas 2022 megathread  (Read 65413 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: November 04, 2022, 06:33:55 PM »

Just got back from the polling booths with two friends, both first time voters.

It was an hour to polls closed and there was pretty decent foot traffic, which I was glad to see.
What was the weather like? We had a pretty big storm over large parts of the state just hours earlier.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1026 on: November 04, 2022, 06:35:37 PM »

It was an hour to polls closed and there was pretty decent foot traffic, which I was glad to see.
What was the weather like? We had a pretty big storm over large parts of the state just hours earlier.

Overcast but other than that, it was fine. It was storming pretty bad earlier but the lady told me they've been having plenty of people come in, even with the rain.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1027 on: November 04, 2022, 06:36:54 PM »

Overcast but other than that, it was fine. It was storming pretty bad earlier but the lady told me they've been having plenty of people come in, even with the rain.
Ah. Nice to hear!
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1028 on: November 05, 2022, 12:07:04 AM »

Anyone have any updates on the State House/State Senate? Obviously both chambers are Safe R, and there are very few competative seats because of Rs gerrymander.

In the State Senate, my understanding is the only competitive seats are a few of the border seats which Republicans were unable to draw out due to not wanting to risk VRA. Unlike the congressional map, all 5 border seats went to Biden by varying degrees, and one (SD-21) literally reaches up into Austin.

In the State House, the fact that CN Analysis only has 3 seats rated as Lean or less in either favor is insane. It's also kinda insane that pretty much no matter what Dems should stay above 60 seats in the State House barring some massive suprise.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1029 on: November 05, 2022, 11:40:33 PM »

Abbot a UT graduate was cheared at an A&M game when he came on the field. Make of that what you will

What year was that?

I remember back when I lived in Tejas, there was a HUGE deal about Texas A&M joining the SEC, so some of the traditional football rivalry might well have dissipated by now.

Also Texas A&M has long been considered a relatively "conservative" University in Tejas over the years, especially with their whole military tradition thing.

Not sure if Abbot being cheered at a Texas A&M game is necessarily indicative of college and university student voters in Texas...
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1030 on: November 05, 2022, 11:56:28 PM »

Abbot a UT graduate was cheared at an A&M game when he came on the field. Make of that what you will

What year was that?

I remember back when I lived in Tejas, there was a HUGE deal about Texas A&M joining the SEC, so some of the traditional football rivalry might well have dissipated by now.

Also Texas A&M has long been considered a relatively "conservative" University in Tejas over the years, especially with their whole military tradition thing.

Not sure if Abbot being cheered at a Texas A&M game is necessarily indicative of college and university student voters in Texas...
There's basically two "college student" voter blocks in Texas. The first is Christian Baptist and/or evangelical, the latter is...everyone else. The former is profoundly Republican and has contributed to A&M having a deservedly conservative reputation.

Student transplants are much likelier to not be plugged into this conservative southern Christian culture and so might vote differently.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1031 on: November 06, 2022, 04:26:47 AM »

What year was that?

There's basically two "college student" voter blocks in Texas. The first is Christian Baptist and/or evangelical, the latter is...everyone else. The former is profoundly Republican and has contributed to A&M having a deservedly conservative reputation.

Student transplants are much likelier to not be plugged into this conservative southern Christian culture and so might vote differently.

Sounds straight legit street cred from back in late '12 and early '13 in Houston, Texas...

Guy called "Perry" (Names changed to protect the innocent and all that), was a TX A & M grad from a few miles down the road, worked in the same subcontract gig as I did in a major tech / manufacturing industry in metro H-Town.

Still, believe I ran some student precinct numbers from Texas A&M back in '16 and or '20.

Extreme Republican challenged me on a few of my campus precinct numbers way back in the dayz (Thinking likely around the '16 GE-PRES results from college precincts somewhere in Louisiana?

Bit tipsy and not on my immediate fingertips, but pretty sure I ran a precinct map with % numbers from College Station within something like the past 5-7 years.

Seemed pretty clear that DEMs won the undergrad and student dorm vote if I recall, will need to double check.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1032 on: November 06, 2022, 08:56:00 AM »

This will surely flip if Ds win the H barring that it won't flip but of course we have no idea what's gonna happen

It's certainly possible we win the H because Beto is down 51/44 closer than Crist and polls underestimate poor people voted they say Rs have the edge on the Economy and they give massive tax cuts to the rich that's not poor people answering those questions
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1033 on: November 06, 2022, 11:27:02 AM »

What year was that?

Well I was at the game, so 2022. Though the demographic of college football fan is clearly more conservative than the actual student body, just found it a bit ironic given the historical rivalry.

Honestly the conservative reputation here is a bit overblown and fading, it's still conservative by the standards of a public universety but I wouldn't be suprised if the student precints had another 20% left swing this year.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1034 on: November 06, 2022, 11:28:22 AM »

What year was that?

Sounds straight legit street cred from back in late '12 and early '13 in Houston, Texas...

Guy called "Perry" (Names changed to protect the innocent and all that), was a TX A & M grad from a few miles down the road, worked in the same subcontract gig as I did in a major tech / manufacturing industry in metro H-Town.

Still, believe I ran some student precinct numbers from Texas A&M back in '16 and or '20.

Extreme Republican challenged me on a few of my campus precinct numbers way back in the dayz (Thinking likely around the '16 GE-PRES results from college precincts somewhere in Louisiana?

Bit tipsy and not on my immediate fingertips, but pretty sure I ran a precinct map with % numbers from College Station within something like the past 5-7 years.

Seemed pretty clear that DEMs won the undergrad and student dorm vote if I recall, will need to double check.
I did that, campus precints and student housing close to campus is all democrat but not overwhelimingly so. The suburbs of Cstat are much redder and so is the surrounding community. Biden did flip Bryan though.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1035 on: November 06, 2022, 07:46:24 PM »

Again, this is Over for Beto
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1036 on: November 06, 2022, 07:48:41 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/reliable-blocs-dems-count-didn-160334873.html

Ds didn't turnout that much for Beto
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1037 on: November 06, 2022, 09:04:21 PM »

What year was that?

I did that, campus precints and student housing close to campus is all democrat but not overwhelimingly so. The suburbs of Cstat are much redder and so is the surrounding community. Biden did flip Bryan though.

So went back and pulled up some numbers which I ran from the 2016 GE-PRES election which was a thread I created about "How did Division 1-A Football Cities Vote in 2016?"

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=273504.msg5854458#msg5854458

Now for the 2020 GE-PRES election, I started a similar thread, which I didn't really continue to fruition, but it does appear that I did run the numbers from College Station in a few brief posts...

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=414071.msg7897313#msg7897313

Anybody want to contribute the "Division 1-A football cities in the 2020 PRES-GE" this would be the place to add your contributions!!!

Will need to dig back into my Excel spreadsheets to run the numbers further...
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1038 on: November 09, 2022, 09:14:38 PM »

Well, disappointed to see that Beto couldn't hold his 2018 margins in DFW, though I suppose that was unlikely. Definitely didn't see the organizational strength from his campaign that Republicans had in my area, despite the energetic rallies, so Democrats in Texas really need to go back to the drawing board as far as our ground game is concerned imo.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1039 on: November 10, 2022, 12:03:52 AM »

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1040 on: November 10, 2022, 12:13:19 AM »

My prediction of Abbott ending up in something like 5 or so points flopped huge here. The outcome is not  surprising, but the margin is.
Adem 45
Rookie

« Reply #1041 on: November 10, 2022, 01:06:52 AM »

Did Hegar win Fort Bend? Or is there still vote to be counted?

Overall a very good night for the Texas GOP.

Minus losing those two congressional seats which were apparently a longshot anyway.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1042 on: November 10, 2022, 01:24:31 AM »

Just wanted to point out something irrelevant but still interesting...Beto managed just 1.6% of the vote in Roberts County, the nation's reddest. He won 7 votes - just two more than the 5 votes some random independent managed. In the Attorney General Race, the Democrat managed 1.8% (8 votes) - better than O'Rourke - but she still tied for third place with some random independent candidate. For whatever reason the Democratic candidate for Lt. Gov. actually did comparatively "well", receiving a full 6.2% of the vote (lol). He won 27 votes - nearly 4 times as many as Beto did.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1043 on: November 10, 2022, 02:24:08 AM »

Well, disappointed to see that Beto couldn't hold his 2018 margins in DFW, though I suppose that was unlikely. Definitely didn't see the organizational strength from his campaign that Republicans had in my area, despite the energetic rallies, so Democrats in Texas really need to go back to the drawing board as far as our ground game is concerned imo.
I know the data they gave me was pretty bad, I was supposed to be doing democratic GOTV but I was mostly knocking on republican doors.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #1044 on: November 10, 2022, 05:44:28 PM »

Why did Abbott overperform so much in rural Texas?

Also where do Democrats go from here in Texas? It looks like urban areas give more promise and the border regions didn't collapse but also didn't return entirely to their previous levels.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1045 on: November 10, 2022, 07:53:02 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2022, 07:57:03 PM by Frodo »

If Democrats need a big name to replace Beto O'Rourke who seems to have flamed out (finally), may I suggest trying to recruit the actor Matthew McConaughey as the new standard bearer?  We should get him to run against either Senator Ted Cruz in 2024, or run for governor in 2026.   
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1046 on: November 10, 2022, 08:14:39 PM »

Republicans narrowly expanded their majorities in both chambers but also underperformed in some seats, much like everywhere else. Not too bad considering how badly some of these Democrats were hurt with the new boundaries and everything else.

Should also be noted that Texas sent Muslims and openly gay black men to the legislature for the first time.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1047 on: November 11, 2022, 11:35:03 AM »

Exit Polls showed Governor Abbott winning 40 % of the Hispanic Vote. Abbott also had a 55/45 Job Approval in the State.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-elections/texas-governor-results
Democrats may think twice now contesting Texas in 2024.

The Party ID in Texas in 2022 was:
R - 41
D - 30
I - 29

On a sidenote, all the Progressive Candidates Olowakandi endorsed LOST.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1048 on: November 11, 2022, 11:37:11 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2022, 11:40:55 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Exit Polls showed Governor Abbott winning 40 % of the Hispanic Vote. Abbott also had a 55/45 Job Approval in the State.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-elections/texas-governor-results
Democrats may think twice now contesting Texas in 2024.

The Party ID in Texas in 2022 was:
R - 41
D - 30
I - 29

On a sidenote, all the Progressive Candidates Olowakandi endorsed LOST.

What happened to your 237 RH Sabato troll prediction it's down to 22o/215 the same majority Ds has ha not enough for impeachment

Ryan and Beasley and Barnes were the ones that didn't want Biden help that was their decision he was never at IPSOS 39/57 Approvals

Biden campaign for Fetterman and Hobbs and they won

Trafalgar had Lake winning ha she is losing
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1049 on: November 11, 2022, 11:51:30 AM »

Biden JOB APPROVALS per Exits:
Texas 40/58
North Carolina 43/56
Ohio 41/58
Wisconsin 46/54
Pennsylvania 46/53

Those are just a few. Biden had a negative Job Approval in every single Swing State in 2022.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies