OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 07:22:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75
Author Topic: OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance  (Read 96735 times)
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1775 on: October 10, 2022, 07:22:24 PM »

Wait he’s blaming Ryan for a child’s rape? Wow I feel like that’s pretty dirty even for the current polarized environment
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1776 on: October 10, 2022, 07:32:53 PM »

I don't watch these debates really they don't talk about Affordable Housing
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1777 on: October 10, 2022, 09:12:29 PM »

I don't know if this race is actually going to be competitive or not, given what we all know about the awful quality of Ohio polling in recent cycles, but I am at least glad that Ryan is the Democratic candidate here and that he is putting in the kind of effort we can be proud of.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1778 on: October 10, 2022, 09:13:24 PM »

"If you had done your job she would never have been raped in the first place"

wtf did I just read? Is Vance saying once he's a senator and - one would assume - starts "doing his job", that all rapes in the state of Ohio are going to end?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1779 on: October 10, 2022, 09:32:26 PM »

So Republicans are still all in on the myth that all undocumented immigrants walk across the border and a wall would stop them?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1780 on: October 10, 2022, 09:39:08 PM »

There have been diametrically opposed responses to this debate. Predictably, Democrats are singing Ryan's praises and denouncing Vance, and Republicans are singing Vance's praises and denouncing Ryan. That's why this debate won't have much of an effect upon the race.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1781 on: October 10, 2022, 09:40:26 PM »

There have been diametrically opposed responses to this debate. Predictably, Democrats are singing Ryan's praises and denouncing Vance, and Republicans are singing Vance's praises and denouncing Ryan. That's why this debate won't have much of an effect upon the race.

Both of them actually performed pretty well I thought.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1782 on: October 10, 2022, 09:41:10 PM »

That was largely my impression as well, although I would give Vance the edge in terms of who won the debate.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1783 on: October 10, 2022, 09:42:30 PM »

That was largely my impression as well, although I would give Vance the edge in terms of who won the debate.

Yeah I would agree. I don’t think it will change the race substantially.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1784 on: October 10, 2022, 11:03:31 PM »

If there's one thing that restrains any optimism I may have for this race, it is the relative competence of the Ohio Republican Party. They know how to win as much as the Florida Democratic Party knows how to lose.

I mean, they lost to Sherrod Brown in 2018. They're likely to beat him in 2024, admittedly. But I think a better analogy is the Florida Republicans, who organize like there's an election every week.

Back to this race, while Vance's responses are horrific, they're not going to cost him politically. Nobody who supported abortion rights or gay marriage was ever going to vote for Vance. He'll still win comfortably because it's Ohio and we can't have nice things.

Most Ohioans support both, possibly over 60%. So you're saying Ryan is going to win a landslide?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1785 on: October 11, 2022, 12:02:55 AM »

These Debates don't talk about Affordable Housing thats why I don't watch these and if Vance gets in he's not gonna help poor people people are gonna see that cutting spending has nothing to do with 8 percent inflation, it's still gonna be 8 percent inflation if Rs takeover that's why I never watch these debates as it looks now it's an RH and we net WI and PA 52/48 solidify the blue wall Barnes and Fetterman win but DEMINGS, Ryan and Beasley loses but Beasley has the best chance
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1786 on: October 11, 2022, 12:12:43 AM »

Just a note plus 1 or 2 pts in a D state like Johnson and Drazen are doesn't mean it's Lean R Evers is tied with Rs Evers and Barnes beat Kleefisch and Walker last time, Sara Goldwitz would have been leading but it's only 1 pt and that is MOE, just like OH is 2 pts
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1787 on: October 11, 2022, 12:50:28 AM »

If there's one thing that restrains any optimism I may have for this race, it is the relative competence of the Ohio Republican Party. They know how to win as much as the Florida Democratic Party knows how to lose.

Not really.  That used to be true from like 1994-2004, but they’re basically just a generic Trumpy state party at this point.  OTOH, the Ohio Democratic Party has been a dumpster fire for decades.

I would generally say the Ohio Democratic Party is more competent than the Florida Democratic Party. Ted Strickland almost pulled off reelection in a hideous environment with bad approvals. I suppose the Ohio Republican Party is essentially running off the institution that is Mike DeWine. He definitely appears more moderate than he lets on. On the other hand, I think he was like the first or second governor to close schools in spring of 2020.

He needs to make that into an ad ASAP.
LostInOhio
United States
« Reply #1788 on: October 11, 2022, 05:11:02 AM »

If Trump had won in 2020 I would definitely be pretty bullish on Ryan’s chances here
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1789 on: October 11, 2022, 05:53:40 AM »

Yeah if this was a Trump midterm I think Ryan would win this.

Alas it isn’t and he won’t. Ryan might keep it respectable (between 3-6)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1790 on: October 11, 2022, 05:56:00 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2022, 06:00:08 AM by Laki »

Ryan is funny, at the very least he's not the boring grey democratic centrist. In a different universe, he would be as popular as Al Franken was before he got metood.

Vance however - objectively - seems - contrary to what one would expect - one of the better recruits of this cycle (which arguably isn't saying much, because a lot of recruits are terrible). It's just Ryan probably is the best candidate the Democrats recruited.

I don't think Vance's campaign is bad, but what I do think might possibly be the case, is that even he is too extreme for Ohio. Sure, it isn't a purple state anymore but it ain't Arkansas or North Dakota you're running in.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1791 on: October 11, 2022, 06:33:15 AM »

Yeah if this was a Trump midterm I think Ryan would win this.

Alas it isn’t and he won’t. Ryan might keep it respectable (between 3-6)

Lol it's 2 pts stop Dooming, the Ds are heavily invested in WI, PA, OH and NC still upsets do happen you said GA was gonna stay red it turned blue just wait you said Johnson is gonna win along with Snow Labrador, lol it's a 303 Map with wave insurance what does wave insurance mean in case we win not a sure bet, you keep saying the same thing in a Trump midterm it would be a pickup because in 2020 with Trump on ballots it was still a 303 map with TRUMP
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1792 on: October 11, 2022, 02:39:35 PM »

Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1793 on: October 11, 2022, 02:41:08 PM »

Schrödinger's abortion
kwabbit

« Reply #1794 on: October 11, 2022, 02:46:29 PM »

Both candidates did pretty well in the debate IMO. Vance is a better speaker than Ryan, but Ryan is better aligned with the electorate. Vance didn’t come across as that extreme. Even on abortion, his position wasn’t extreme enough to be easily turned into a soundbite.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1795 on: October 11, 2022, 02:48:25 PM »

Vance last night:
-came out against marriage equality act
-said the situation in Ukraine is not a security issue to us
-came out in favor of a national abortion ban
-insinuated women being raped is somehow Tim Ryan's fault

among other things. Not sure how he won it.

If you're going off of who was more "polished" then I don't think you're reading the OH electorate correctly. Not just that, but it's easy to be "polished" when you just sit and lie. Vance is essentially a coastal elite, it's not surprised he's a more "polished" public speaker than Vance. But that type of stuff is the least likely thing to matter in an "Ohio" debate. Maybe if this was Massachusetts or something...
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1796 on: October 11, 2022, 02:58:49 PM »

Vance last night:
-came out against marriage equality act
-said the situation in Ukraine is not a security issue to us
-came out in favor of a national abortion ban
-insinuated women being raped is somehow Tim Ryan's fault

among other things. Not sure how he won it.

If you're going off of who was more "polished" then I don't think you're reading the OH electorate correctly. Not just that, but it's easy to be "polished" when you just sit and lie. Vance is essentially a coastal elite, it's not surprised he's a more "polished" public speaker than Vance. But that type of stuff is the least likely thing to matter in an "Ohio" debate. Maybe if this was Massachusetts or something...

The  Purple heart Populism starter pack.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1797 on: October 12, 2022, 04:44:37 PM »

On the day that a jury socked Alex Jones for nearly $1 Billion in damages to the Sandy Hook families, a reminder:

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1798 on: October 12, 2022, 04:47:21 PM »

JD Vance is a man who only ever displays the foremost political judgement. That's why when I put my pet frog in the Ohio River it suddenly started talking English and said Ryan wanted to ship jobs "from Youngstown to Yunnan" and changed its gender.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #1799 on: October 12, 2022, 05:07:09 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2022, 05:15:35 PM by Aurelius »

Honestly, if you look at Vance on paper he seems like a really solid + tier candidate:

- Veteran
- Successful in Business
- Great Biography
- Above Average Name Recognition

But when you put all this into practice... Vance is pretty terrible because he's just not likeable. No one wants to have a beer with JD Vance.
He's the particular type of later-in-life Catholic trad convert who reads First Things, dislikes fun, and probably thinks Americanism is a heresy. The kind of Catholicism that rubs a lot of Protestants and Nones the wrong way, and even some normie cradle Catholics. That's the core of his problem.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies