OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:10:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 75
Author Topic: OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance  (Read 97090 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: September 11, 2022, 02:18:23 PM »

Ryan is a neoliberal internationalist. All of the flaws of Sherrod Brown, with none of the upside. He's likely to lose 10+ in a year in which Dems hold the House+Senate.

The people of Ohio are too smart to vote for someone who supports his evil brand of politics.

All of the flaws of... a man who won the state by seven points four years ago. Brilliant logic.
Ryan is not running in a D+7 national environment, is not an incumbent, is running against 4 more years of pro-republican demographic trends in Ohio, and is facing an actual opponent -- not a fill in for the frontrunner who dropped out weeks before the filing deadline.

I am very high on Dem chances in midterms, Dobbs has been fortuitous without question. But Ohio is not a swing state anymore.

Ryan is up by 9 pts in OH take it or leave it we won 51/47 PVI in 2012 4 pts and Brown won too and Biden was Veep that was not a D plus 7 and Brown won by 6 , in a 2018 Environment in 2022 Ryan will win by 2
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1601 on: September 11, 2022, 02:25:31 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2022, 02:31:44 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Users need to stop Dooming on Ryan we have 8 weeks till the EDay will will find out out but if you have an R nut map it can be wrong it's an upset as I said along with NC and FL just all all Liddy Dole internals had her Gordon Smith and Ted Stevens winning and weren't supposed to win 59 seats, the only seat I knew was MN and Franken barely won because Coleman was a Moderate

The polls underestimate Chambliss he ended in a Runoff and was supposed to win. In a landslide and overestimate Franken he ended up in a recount because Norm Coleman is a moderate

Franken was supposed to win by 5/9 and so was Chambliss

I had GA safe R until I changed it and MN safe D, it was wrong and if you put OH safe R you can't update your map after EDay

This is a BELLWETHERS for KY 2023 and MT, WVA and OH in 24 we don't want to lose the Sen on OH in 24
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1602 on: September 11, 2022, 02:42:45 PM »

Ryan is a neoliberal internationalist. All of the flaws of Sherrod Brown, with none of the upside. He's likely to lose 10+ in a year in which Dems hold the House+Senate.

The people of Ohio are too smart to vote for someone who supports his evil brand of politics.

All of the flaws of... a man who won the state by seven points four years ago. Brilliant logic.
Ryan is not running in a D+7 national environment, is not an incumbent, is running against 4 more years of pro-republican demographic trends in Ohio, and is facing an actual opponent -- not a fill in for the frontrunner who dropped out weeks before the filing deadline.

I am very high on Dem chances in midterms, Dobbs has been fortuitous without question. But Ohio is not a swing state anymore.

Well keep in mind Ryan isn't running against dewine but against Vance
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1603 on: September 11, 2022, 10:32:51 PM »

Yes? If he were running against DeWine the race would be over and we'd be talking about whether DeWine cracks 60% or not. Vance is weak enough to provide what on the surface looks like a competitive race but that doesn't make Ryan favored in a state like Ohio.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1604 on: September 12, 2022, 01:04:32 AM »

Ryan's approval in his own district doesn't matter much. The rest of the state/low information voters don't and his spending is defining him in a more positive light.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1605 on: September 12, 2022, 06:53:11 AM »

Yes? If he were running against DeWine the race would be over and we'd be talking about whether DeWine cracks 60% or not. Vance is weak enough to provide what on the surface looks like a competitive race but that doesn't make Ryan favored in a state like Ohio.

Look at the polls it's close it doesn't matter if Ohio is an R plus 8 state and yeah DeWine won by only 3 in 2018 he's not winning by 20
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1606 on: September 12, 2022, 08:22:47 AM »

Ryan's approval in his own district doesn't matter much. The rest of the state/low information voters don't and his spending is defining him in a more positive light.

This is what I wrote basically in the Suffolk polling thread. This race may be the most consequential in terms of how Ryan was able to define himself basically the entire summer, and also define Vance, with Vance now only limping to run ads with less than 2 months out, while Ryan's favorability rating is still nearly +20.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1607 on: September 12, 2022, 08:43:54 AM »

Somebody should probably follow up with Jay Dee and see if he feels this way:

Vance knows Ohio has the largest Ukrainian American community in the country right? That it’s large enough that in prior elections candidates have courted them because they were seen as swing voters and critical to a close election?

Vance knows that Victoria Spartz, a republican Ukrainian born congresswomen serves in next door in Indiana right?
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1608 on: September 12, 2022, 09:42:53 AM »

Vance knows Ohio has the largest Ukrainian American community in the country right? That it’s large enough that in prior elections candidates have courted them because they were seen as swing voters and critical to a close election?

Vance knows that Victoria Spartz, a republican Ukrainian born congresswomen serves in next door in Indiana right?

Vance probably doesn't even know or care. There was nobody at his campaign to tell him.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1609 on: September 12, 2022, 09:46:39 AM »

Vance probably doesn't even know or care. There was nobody at his campaign to tell him.

Yup, and former should actually be disqualifying for any candidate already. The dude is really a horrible candidate and it's kind of embarrassing that he maintains a significant chance to win.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1610 on: September 12, 2022, 09:54:37 AM »

Oh come on, surely you all know not giving a s*** about other people is totally “populist”, right? I’m still not moving this race from Safe R, but Vance is really lucky that this is a Democratic midterm and that Ohio has trended so far to the right.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1611 on: September 12, 2022, 01:34:45 PM »

Oh come on, surely you all know not giving a s*** about other people is totally “populist”, right? I’m still not moving this race from Safe R, but Vance is really lucky that this is a Democratic midterm and that Ohio has trended so far to the right.
And xing, don't you know, a neoliberal establishment republican like John Kasich or Rob Portman would do way worse than a #populist like Vance, right ? /s
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1612 on: September 12, 2022, 01:38:24 PM »

And xing, don't you know, a neoliberal establishment republican like John Kasich or Rob Portman would do way worse than a #populist like Vance, right ? /s

"Only Trump could have beaten Hillary in 2016"
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #1613 on: September 12, 2022, 02:30:19 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2022, 02:47:57 PM by Official Penguin Books Account »

(a) You simply made that up. It's not a top five state in Ukrainian ancestry or origin. This July article from the Census Bureau doesn't even bother mentioning Ohio once, but its population claiming Ukrainian ancestry is certainly less than a small town's worth.

(b) Spartz herself has been loudly critical of American funding for the Ukrainian government, maybe moreso than House member after Massie. Granted, Vance's comments (out-of-context) are callously dismissive of suffering. That's different, but it's unfair to Spartz to imply divided loyalties just because of her ethnicity. The United States does not require a blood quantum for nationality or adherence to the national interest.

(c) Even if Spartz did have foreign loyalties, could he not disagree with a member of his party? I think a lot of what people like about Vance is that he's not the traditional sort of coward who would simply bend over backwards by making bad policy to appeal to dubious interests, merely because they exist.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1614 on: September 12, 2022, 02:39:29 PM »

(a) You simply made that up. It's not a top five state in Ukrainian ancestry or origin. This July article from the Census Bureau doesn't even bother mentioning Ohio once, but its population claiming Ukrainian ancestry is certainly less than a small town's worth.

(b) Spartz herself has been loudly critical of American funding for the Ukrainian government, maybe moreso than House member after Massie. Granted, Vance's comments (out-of-context) are callously dismissive of suffering.

(c) Even if Spartz did have foreign loyalties, could he not disagree with a member of his party? I think a lot of what people like about Vance is that he's not the traditional sort of coward who would simply bend over backwards by making bad policy to appeal to dubious interests, merely because they exist.
Data from 2009 says there are 49,000 Ukrainian-Americans in Ohio (fifth largest such tally in the country). While that could decide a close election, I doubt that it is as singularly important that Ukraine could swing the result. The majority of voters who would care about it probably have little to no Ukrainian blood to speak of, given how few Ukrainian-Americans there are. This isn't even getting into Russian-Americans...though the same disclaimers you put out with Ukrainians also apply to Russians. I don't think there's much polling or research about what Russian-Americans think of the "special military operation", actually, but there are almost certainly more Russian-Americans than Ukrainian-Americans in Ohio.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #1615 on: September 12, 2022, 02:46:23 PM »

(b) Spartz herself has been loudly critical of American funding for the Ukrainian government, maybe moreso than House member after Massie. Granted, Vance's comments (out-of-context) are callously dismissive of suffering.

Data from 2009 says there are 49,000 Ukrainian-Americans in Ohio (fifth largest such tally in the country) ... This isn't even getting into Russian-Americans...

Well, I linked much better data from 2022 showing that Ohio is clearly not in the top five and the original absurd claim was that it was #1.

As far as Russian ethnics go, I would actually guess they feel far less intensely about this since: (a) many more identify with the opposition in Russia for various reasons, (b) they are far more assimilated given historical immigration patterns, (c) Russia is the invading country, which almost always stokes less intense feelings in war.

The people this will actually rally are American nationalists, i.e., Vance's base.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1616 on: September 12, 2022, 03:17:15 PM »

Data from 2009 says there are 49,000 Ukrainian-Americans in Ohio (fifth largest such tally in the country) ... This isn't even getting into Russian-Americans...

Well, I linked much better data from 2022 showing that Ohio is clearly not in the top five and the original absurd claim was that it was #1.

As far as Russian ethnics go, I would actually guess they feel far less intensely about this since: (a) many more identify with the opposition in Russia for various reasons, (b) they are far more assimilated given historical immigration patterns, (c) Russia is the invading country, which almost always stokes less intense feelings in war.

The people this will actually rally are American nationalists, i.e., Vance's base.
Perhaps the original claim was in percentage terms, not pure numbers. And Ohio does seem to be more Ukrainian than the country as a whole, though that's not saying too much. In any case, I agree that it would rally Vance-style American nationalists, a key segment of his base, insofar as it has impact on the race at all (it could still influence other demos, of course).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1617 on: September 12, 2022, 03:51:02 PM »

"Only Trump could have beaten Hillary in 2016"

This was never the CW.  On the contrary, the widespread believe was always that only Trump was capable of blowing things badly enough to lose to Clinton and he came pretty close to doing so.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1618 on: September 12, 2022, 04:22:18 PM »

Somebody should probably follow up with Jay Dee and see if he still feels this way:

Ryan should press Vance hard on this in the Columbus and Cleveland media markets.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1619 on: September 12, 2022, 04:57:08 PM »

JD Vance will immediately become one of the most reprehensible senators for his stances on Russia/Ukraine alone. I'm sure he and Rand Paul will be butt buddies though.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1620 on: September 12, 2022, 05:01:38 PM »

(b) Spartz herself has been loudly critical of American funding for the Ukrainian government, maybe moreso than House member after Massie. Granted, Vance's comments (out-of-context) are callously dismissive of suffering. That's different, but it's unfair to Spartz to imply divided loyalties just because of her ethnicity. The United States does not require a blood quantum for nationality or adherence to the national interest.

Actually
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/21/ukrainian-american-voters-eye-on-russia-00010148

80,000 Ukrainians live in Ohio. You are false here
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #1621 on: September 13, 2022, 09:38:01 AM »

Actually
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/21/ukrainian-american-voters-eye-on-russia-00010148

80,000 Ukrainians live in Ohio. You are false here

US Census Bureau > Random local news station

The Politico article cites a local news station for their 80k number, and the local news station doesn't indicate where they got 80k from. I'll take the US Census Bureau's number more seriously.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1622 on: September 13, 2022, 11:08:09 AM »

Regardless, there are TONS of Poles in Cleveland area. I have a hard time believing they are exactly pro Russia right now.
prag_prog
United States

« Reply #1623 on: September 14, 2022, 09:32:23 AM »

Somebody should probably follow up with Jay Dee and see if he still feels this way:

eh..I don't think this matters much. It's not some outlandish statement even though I don't agree with it. Lot of politicians nationally said some similar statements...Republican base would love hearing things like this. Probably some people from Republican base would like Vance more after hearing this.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1624 on: September 15, 2022, 02:42:09 PM »

I might regeret but i think Ryan is favoured at this point.

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies