PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:45:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226 227 228 229 ... 244
Author Topic: PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz  (Read 286809 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5575 on: October 26, 2022, 10:28:09 PM »

Could be me just being too optimistic, but I feel like this could ultimately backfire for GOP and implore empathy towards Fetterman.

Could totally be wrong; we'll see how this plays out.

Theodore Roosevelt was literally shot while he was giving a speech, and he just continued on. (Not to mention, he lost sight in one of his eyes during a boxing match at the White House.)

It's a Chad politician thing. Few can understand.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #5576 on: October 26, 2022, 11:09:27 PM »

What I can't shake here is the implication embedded in all of the posts from our "friends" on the other side, which is that if you've had a stroke that causes aphasia, you are either disqualified from public service because it's somehow an immutable characteristic or you should retire from public life and "focus on recovery" i.e. more or less retire to nursing home. If anything horrible has ever happened to you? It's time to basically give up on life because if you do that, it helps some scumbag snake oil peddler with a R behind their name get elected to Senate.

John Fetterman is 53 years old. His brain is almost certainly in better shape than the brain of Chuck Grassley and we can expect Fetterman will be alive for much longer than Grassley will be alive. Yet we're subjected to a torrent of abuse when Grassley is effectively running as a rotting corpse. It isn't insulting to mention this about Grassley because the curse of our mortality and fragility in old age is a fact of human life - he is doomed to die sooner rather than later.

The hypocrisy and lack of self-reflection here is stunning. It is possible to hope for your candidate to win without signaling that a father with children who seems to basically be a good guy is a reprobate and also a vegetable.

You know this how?

You people keep demonstrating why this frenzied defense of Fetterman is such a turnoff. You know it's a bad situation but you think if you just talk enough, regardless of whether you know what the hell you're talking about, it will just go away.

Undecided voters don't want to hear "don't worry, his brain is fine" from someone whose basis for saying that is nothing beyond wishful thinking. They don't to hear what-about-ing about Herschel Walker or Chuck Grassley.

Undecided voters want to know why you people insisted Fetterman was ready to debate and would be fine, and he wasn't. What happened? And why should anyone believe this is the last time the Fetterman campaign will offer reassurances that turn out to be empty?

He turned up to the debate and had problems communicating, which is perfectly consistent with stroke-induced aphasia. Another fact is that aphasia is a condition that may be overcome, albeit with a lot of effort, relatively swiftly - not over 4 months but over a few years. There is no "whataboutism" here. Fetterman performed miserably: he had a stroke and has aphasia. I don't think this is a problem because it's a temporary condition.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #5577 on: October 26, 2022, 11:17:37 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2022, 11:24:29 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

The collective delusion here is ridiculous.

Rather than acknowledge the poor optics, many people opted instead to take on the burdens of any disabled person anywhere who has been treated unfairly, and by extension, gain the "moral high ground" by then accusing anyone who doesn't share their perspective of ableism.  Does this tactic remind you of previous electoral successes?

It is this utter refusal to use your own eyes and ears, and to instead absorb and parrot The Line, and conveniently it means that your opponents are bigots so you don't even need to engage in the courtesy of debating their ideas.  If anything, Fetterman's communication shortcomings overshadowed the fact that he repeatedly, shamelessly lied about his position on a number of issues.

I will give Fetterman credit though, at least he isn't a total piece of dirt who is running a scare campaign about Oz's religion and national origin like some people here would desperately like him to do.

Greetings, old friend. The point of my post was to say that your side of the aisle should be focused on Fetterman's positions on the issues, not on his problems on communicating induced by a stroke. What the "optics" are doesn't really concern me - it looks bad, yes, voters are entitled to feel wary but I dislike the sense from Republicans of gleeful celebration that "Fetterman's brain is cooked" or whatever. This is a man with children who is 53.

My view is that Fetterman will lose based on the issues, not based on the stroke, because most voters are basically decent people who feel bad for him and will tend to think he seems like a decent guy. In terms of Dr. Oz's national heritage, I am trolling about that first and foremost, but I do think he should answer for serving in the Turkish military as a native-born American. I don't think this is a "nativist" attack because Dr. Oz was born here, clearly is very American - so why did he make the choice to do that? I can't say I ever had an impulse to serve in the Mexican military, which is one reason why this is bizarre to me.

In any event, I can't say I understand what your slam dunk case is for voting Republican. I understand that the voters are justifiably angry and that they will do this to punish incumbents but Republicans don't have any solutions whatsoever for dealing with inflation. They're still the party of elites and the powerful and their main objective is steering resources to the rich. Their entire party apparatus has an understanding of economics that appears to consist of "give money to rich good, tax cut good, government spending bad". I haven't been happy with Democrats but this is a joke.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #5578 on: October 26, 2022, 11:20:11 PM »

Hollywood
« Reply #5579 on: October 26, 2022, 11:31:08 PM »

Fetterman's first four words from the debate were "Hello. Good night everybody."  It just kept worse and worse as the night moved along.  Fetterman is objectively the worst candidate running for Senate.  He literally cannot communicate ideas.  He can't even engage in small talk.  But what about Walker?  He clearly performed better than Fetterman.  I don't even have to examine the political arguments, or fact check the statements, to come to that conclusion.  
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #5580 on: October 26, 2022, 11:34:18 PM »

Fetterman's first four words from the debate were "Hello. Good night everybody."  It just kept worse and worse as the night moved along.  Fetterman is objectively the worst candidate running for Senate.  He literally cannot communicate ideas.  He can't even engage in small talk.  But what about Walker?  He clearly performed better than Fetterman.  I don't even have to examine the political arguments, or fact check the statements, to come to that conclusion.  

The argument here is that based on motivating reasoning and magical thinking you can decide that blue equals green and that your wife is a gorgeous supermodel and so on. Guess what - you can't do that! John Fetterman is terrible at communicating but he can, clearly, communicate ideas, albeit badly. He obviously can engage in "small talk" - it's just difficult for him.

Again, my view is that Dr. Oz will win because of "the issues", not due to Fetterman having a stroke. Your side can simply say "it's sad Fetterman had a stroke, I hope he gets better, but Dr. Oz should win because America is a mess and Republicans can fix it". Really not hard to behave like civilized people...
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5581 on: October 26, 2022, 11:47:10 PM »

Graham has about the same emotional maturity as the average blue avatar

Dani Rose
danixander92
United States

« Reply #5582 on: October 27, 2022, 12:05:13 AM »

Not to distract from the fact that Lindsay is almost as red as the background behind him, but that clip also highlights the point I've been trying to make since the debate. Fetterman had a hard time, but he obviously understood his surroundings, the issues at hand, and what he was trying to say. Compare that to how - not to be crass - absolutely clueless Herschel Walker looks here and you can plainly see there's no comparison.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5583 on: October 27, 2022, 12:27:45 AM »

Nah, he’s just a craven supplicant for power.
Hollywood
« Reply #5584 on: October 27, 2022, 12:46:54 AM »

What I can't shake here is the implication embedded in all of the posts from our "friends" on the other side, which is that if you've had a stroke that causes aphasia, you are either disqualified from public service because it's somehow an immutable characteristic or you should retire from public life and "focus on recovery" i.e. more or less retire to nursing home. If anything horrible has ever happened to you? It's time to basically give up on life because if you do that, it helps some scumbag snake oil peddler with a R behind their name get elected to Senate.

John Fetterman is 53 years old. His brain is almost certainly in better shape than the brain of Chuck Grassley and we can expect Fetterman will be alive for much longer than Grassley will be alive. Yet we're subjected to a torrent of abuse when Grassley is effectively running as a rotting corpse. It isn't insulting to mention this about Grassley because the curse of our mortality and fragility in old age is a fact of human life - he is doomed to die sooner rather than later.

The hypocrisy and lack of self-reflection here is stunning. It is possible to hope for your candidate to win without signaling that a father with children who seems to basically be a good guy is a reprobate and also a vegetable.

You know this how?

You people keep demonstrating why this frenzied defense of Fetterman is such a turnoff. You know it's a bad situation but you think if you just talk enough, regardless of whether you know what the hell you're talking about, it will just go away.

Undecided voters don't want to hear "don't worry, his brain is fine" from someone whose basis for saying that is nothing beyond wishful thinking. They don't to hear what-about-ing about Herschel Walker or Chuck Grassley.

Undecided voters want to know why you people insisted Fetterman was ready to debate and would be fine, and he wasn't. What happened? And why should anyone believe this is the last time the Fetterman campaign will offer reassurances that turn out to be empty?

He turned up to the debate and had problems communicating, which is perfectly consistent with stroke-induced aphasia. Another fact is that aphasia is a condition that may be overcome, albeit with a lot of effort, relatively swiftly - not over 4 months but over a few years. There is no "whataboutism" here. Fetterman performed miserably: he had a stroke and has aphasia. I don't think this is a problem because it's a temporary condition.

Fetterman has had a severe case of Asphasia for over 5 months, so it isn't temporary.  The greatest rate of recover occurs within the 1st days and month, and the rate of recovery drops after the 6th Months. A patient that doesn't start recovery will only solidify the symptoms.  High stress environments can worsen the condition by creating anxiety, depression, and agitation for the patient.  

It's also worth noting that Fetterman has a big hump on the back of his neck due to fat deposits or tumors.  This is indicative of multiple types of cancers.  People with humps, even when it regresses, have an increased risk of Atrial Fibrillation and stroke.  This is one of the clearest signs that Fetterman's health issues will only worsen in office.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #5585 on: October 27, 2022, 01:02:30 AM »

You know this how?

Fetterman has had a severe case of Asphasia for over 5 months, so it isn't temporary.  The greatest rate of recover occurs within the 1st days and month, and the rate of recovery drops after the 6th Months. A patient that doesn't start recovery will only solidify the symptoms.  High stress environments can worsen the condition by creating anxiety, depression, and agitation for the patient.  

It's also worth noting that Fetterman has a big hump on the back of his neck due to fat deposits or tumors.  This is indicative of multiple types of cancers.  People with humps, even when it regresses, have an increased risk of Atrial Fibrillation and stroke.  This is one of the clearest signs that Fetterman's health issues will only worsen in office.

So mocking disabled people wasn't enough? Now you are mocking people who lost 148 pounds?
Hollywood
« Reply #5586 on: October 27, 2022, 01:08:58 AM »

The argument here is that based on motivating reasoning and magical thinking you can decide that blue equals green and that your wife is a gorgeous supermodel and so on. Guess what - you can't do that! John Fetterman is terrible at communicating but he can, clearly, communicate ideas, albeit badly. He obviously can engage in "small talk" - it's just difficult for him.

Again, my view is that Dr. Oz will win because of "the issues", not due to Fetterman having a stroke. Your side can simply say "it's sad Fetterman had a stroke, I hope he gets better, but Dr. Oz should win because America is a mess and Republicans can fix it". Really not hard to behave like civilized people...

He obviously can't engage in small talk if he's having difficulty with 'hello' and 'goodbye'.  There was even a liberal reporter that said Fetterman had difficulty with small talk after an interview.   Fetterman is unable to understand and communicate without the aid of extraordinary accommodations.  

Dr. Oz should win because Fetterman is too impaired to perform the duties of a Senator, and some voters have already come to that conclusion following the debate.  There's nothing uncivilized about pointing out the fact that John Fetterman can't understand other speakers or adequately communicate ideas.  It's not uncivilized to point out the man's health conditions.  I'd expect the Democrats to do the same, and they do attack Republicans for their health defects.  
Hollywood
« Reply #5587 on: October 27, 2022, 01:20:34 AM »

You know this how?

So mocking disabled people wasn't enough? Now you are mocking people who lost 148 pounds?

Pointing out that Fetterman has a severe disability disqualifying him from office isn't the same as mocking him.   The fact that you'd play that card is shameful.  It's a totally inauthentic claim given you also think I mocked someone for losing weight? 
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5588 on: October 27, 2022, 01:22:51 AM »

You know this how?

Pointing out that Fetterman has a severe disability disqualifying him from office isn't the same as mocking him.   The fact that you'd play that card is shameful.  It's a totally inauthentic claim given you also think I mocked someone for losing weight? 

There were posts that you did not see because they were deleted by moderators.

Also someone showed me a discord screen shot of someone making fun of my mild stutter.
Hollywood
« Reply #5589 on: October 27, 2022, 02:10:05 AM »

You know this how?

Also someone showed me a discord screen shot of someone making fun of my mild stutter.

Okay.  Even with the explanation, I'm still totally lost as to why Deadflagblues attributed another poster's comments to me. 

Someone showed you a discord shot of another member making fun of your stutter?  I'm sorry it happened, but how the F do they know you have a stutter? 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5590 on: October 27, 2022, 07:54:17 AM »

Well, here we go. More than the debate itself, this is the kind of article you don't want after the fact, that uses it as a predicate for a discussion of lack of transparency, and handwringing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-election/fetterman-debate-performance-democrats-edge-pa-senate-race-rcna54158

A theme is kind of emerging. The Pubs nominate lousy candidates, and then the Dems don't do all that well in the debates. Perhaps it kind of balances out.
kwabbit

« Reply #5591 on: October 27, 2022, 08:21:06 AM »

You know this how?

Okay.  Even with the explanation, I'm still totally lost as to why Deadflagblues attributed another poster's comments to me. 

Someone showed you a discord shot of another member making fun of your stutter?  I'm sorry it happened, but how the F do they know you have a stutter? 

Because he’s brought it up like 50 times in this thread lol.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5592 on: October 27, 2022, 08:37:12 AM »

I mean, you're just telling on yourself there on how gigantically low the bar is for Walker. Walker is not the one who had a *stroke*
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5593 on: October 27, 2022, 08:40:12 AM »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republicans-democrats-sympathy-john-fetterman-123558381.html

It says right here voters aren't holding Fetterman responsible for stroke at debate performance

The Rs know PA is it if they lose PA it's over for them

That wasnt DR Oz show it was Oprah show whom sponsors Oz and Dr Phil and Oprah is a D
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #5594 on: October 27, 2022, 08:50:58 AM »

I really miss the Virginia Governor thread. it was so peaceful and quiet compared to this.

Everyone was civil. And Non Swing Voter was so nice.

The NSV exile bet is up soon so he may slink back.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5595 on: October 27, 2022, 09:08:43 AM »

I really miss the Virginia Governor thread. it was so peaceful and quiet compared to this.

Everyone was civil. And Non Swing Voter was so nice.

The NSV exile bet is up soon so he may slink back.

He gets credit for actually following through with it instead of welching, which is what usually happens on such bets.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5596 on: October 27, 2022, 12:02:19 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2022, 12:24:08 PM by MAGA Maggie's Masshole Wall »

Well, here we go. More than the debate itself, this is the kind of article you don't want after the fact, that uses it as a predicate for a discussion of lack of transparency, and handwringing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-election/fetterman-debate-performance-democrats-edge-pa-senate-race-rcna54158

A theme is kind of emerging. The Pubs nominate lousy candidates, and then the Dems don't do all that well in the debates. Perhaps it kind of balances out.

And there we go - there's another article from an "anonymous official" saying that we should have replaced the rightful Democratic nominee.

Because that's what this was always about - not his stroke, not his health or electability. This was about storming the State House, throwing their own January 6th, and installing their failed, centrist nominee that the voters overwhelmingly rejected.

These types of centrists have absolutely no respect for democracy. But we all knew that from 2016.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5597 on: October 27, 2022, 02:12:10 PM »

How much do you think Oz hates Mastriano lol

Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5598 on: October 27, 2022, 02:18:09 PM »

Anyway, in not stupid news like this thread has presented lately...

Fetterman is hosting an event with Malcolm Kenyatta on Saturday on Temple's campus--I'm really hoping I can finally meet Malcolm after voting for him in the primary Smiley
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5599 on: October 27, 2022, 02:49:52 PM »

Anyway, in not stupid news like this thread has presented lately...

Fetterman is hosting an event with Malcolm Kenyatta on Saturday on Temple's campus--I'm really hoping I can finally meet Malcolm after voting for him in the primary Smiley

Malcolm seems like a really good guy, I hope he runs again for something in the future
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226 227 228 229 ... 244  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies