PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:39:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 178 179 180 [181] 182 183 184 185 186 ... 244
Author Topic: PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz  (Read 290107 times)
kwabbit

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4500 on: October 11, 2022, 03:47:39 PM »

Not so much a defense of Oz as it was tempering my criticism of Fetterman's lie with criticism of Oz, though in turn emphasizing how unnecessary the lie was. I'm not sure how many times I have to repeat that I think both candidates in the race are poor. It was literally in my last post before this one.

Once again, if you honestly believe an opponent in PA/Philly is not going to hit the other person for tweeting about trying out for the Cowboys then you don't get this area. It would be political malpractice not to.

Still, this race is unique in how little the issues matter. Toomey vs. McGinty seems so formal and serious compared to Oz vs. Fetterman.

Maybe it’s the fact that both candidates’ platforms are seen as reasonable and not extreme. Oz is the most moderate GOP nominee in a competitive race and Fetterman’s economic populism is hard to attack. So it comes down to if Fetterman can make Oz unliked enough where he can overcome the fundamentals and win in a midterm.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4501 on: October 11, 2022, 04:21:58 PM »

Not so much a defense of Oz as it was tempering my criticism of Fetterman's lie with criticism of Oz, though in turn emphasizing how unnecessary the lie was. I'm not sure how many times I have to repeat that I think both candidates in the race are poor. It was literally in my last post before this one.

Once again, if you honestly believe an opponent in PA/Philly is not going to hit the other person for tweeting about trying out for the Cowboys then you don't get this area. It would be political malpractice not to.

Still, this race is unique in how little the issues matter. Toomey vs. McGinty seems so formal and serious compared to Oz vs. Fetterman.

Maybe it’s the fact that both candidates’ platforms are seen as reasonable and not extreme. Oz is the most moderate GOP nominee in a competitive race and Fetterman’s economic populism is hard to attack. So it comes down to if Fetterman can make Oz unliked enough where he can overcome the fundamentals and win in a midterm.

This is a both sides-ism that isn't true. Oz thinks abortion is murder and has no exceptions besides rape, incest, life of the mother. That's not reasonable and IS extreme for a general electorate. Oz is no moderate.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4502 on: October 11, 2022, 04:25:38 PM »

I am a little skeptical about the Cowboys thing. I don't think the average Eagles fan knows what Cowboys Stadium looks like and there isn't anything on the billboard really identifying it as a Cowboys thing.

I don't think anyone really knows the tweet, tbh
kwabbit

« Reply #4503 on: October 11, 2022, 04:41:36 PM »

This is a both sides-ism that isn't true. Oz thinks abortion is murder and has no exceptions besides rape, incest, life of the mother. That's not reasonable and IS extreme for a general electorate. Oz is no moderate.

Oz was pro-choice on abortion for 20 years on TV. He may have said that to win over GOP primary voters, but that position is not in his current rhetoric nor is it what he believes personally.

The PA Democrats might be able to convince some people that Oz is a pro-life extremist, but I think even you know that Oz lied about that in the primary as he did on many issues.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4504 on: October 11, 2022, 04:43:46 PM »

Oz was pro-choice on abortion for 20 years on TV. He may have said that to win over GOP primary voters, but that position is not in his current rhetoric nor is it what he believes personally.

The PA Democrats might be able to convince some people that Oz is a pro-life extremist, but I think even you know that Oz lied about that in the primary as he did on many issues.

Oz's position in the general electorate is no exceptions but those 3. Even if you take out the comment he made in the primary, his GE stance on abortion is still wildly out of step from the mainstream. That is what he's staking his candidacy on right *now*. And it's extreme.
kwabbit

« Reply #4505 on: October 11, 2022, 04:59:28 PM »

Oz's position in the general electorate is no exceptions but those 3. Even if you take out the comment he made in the primary, his GE stance on abortion is still wildly out of step from the mainstream. That is what he's staking his candidacy on right *now*. And it's extreme.

Oz has repeatedly said that he wants to return it to the states. He also says repeatedly says he’s “100% pro life” and in favor of the aforementioned exceptions as well as opposing any criminal penalties. He’s not naming a specific week because that contradicts the returning it to the states position.

Whether you want to call that extreme is your prerogative. But he’s obviously trying to moderate on the issue while being able to say he’s pro life for the base. Either way, he’s definitely not staking his campaign on it given that he mentions it as little as possible. 
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #4506 on: October 11, 2022, 05:06:23 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2022, 05:10:28 PM by Aurelius »

This has to be one of the weirdest Senate races in a long time, in terms of the things the candidates are hitting each other about.

People need to stop talking about things they don't know about.

If you honestly don't think that someone running in Pennsylvania would not hit their opponent on tweeting about the Cowboys then you literally don't know this area at all.

That is not what I am talking about. At all.

Then what are you talking about?

Prominent issues in this campaign have been Fetterman's stroke and general health, Oz's eating habits, Fetterman's eating habits, Oz's residency, Fetterman's reluctance to debate, and Oz's medical research. It has even less to do with the issues than a typical modern campaign, and it doesn't fit the typical pattern of GOP candidate appealing to the beer track and the Dem appealing to the wine track.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4507 on: October 11, 2022, 05:14:34 PM »

This has to be one of the weirdest Senate races in a long time, in terms of the things the candidates are hitting each other about.

If you honestly don't think that someone running in Pennsylvania would not hit their opponent on tweeting about the Cowboys then you literally don't know this area at all.

Prominent issues in this campaign have been Fetterman's stroke and general health, Oz's eating habits, Fetterman's eating habits, Oz's residency, Fetterman's reluctance to debate, and Oz's medical research. It has even less to do with the issues than a typical modern campaign, and it doesn't fit the typical pattern of GOP candidate appealing to the beer track and the Dem appealing to the wine track.
So basically a PA version of 2012 but the candidates *really* hate eachother.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #4508 on: October 11, 2022, 05:17:18 PM »

2012 was actually the most "normal", issues-based presidential campaign I can remember. And college whites mostly hadn't fled the GOP yet so the wine/beer track sorting wasn't as strong as today. It's also not just that Oz is wine track and Fetterman is beer track, it's that they are both such extreme caricatures of the respective tracks.
swf541

« Reply #4509 on: October 11, 2022, 05:18:44 PM »

SMP up with ad on puppygate

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4510 on: October 11, 2022, 05:19:56 PM »

2012 was actually the most "normal", issues-based presidential campaign I can remember. And college whites mostly hadn't fled the GOP yet so the wine/beer track sorting wasn't as strong as today. It's also not just that Oz is wine track and Fetterman is beer track, it's that they are both such extreme caricatures of the respective tracks.
Yeah, Oz in particular oozes "wine track" more than any other high-profile candidate in a swing-state race this election cycle.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4511 on: October 11, 2022, 06:03:06 PM »

And there it is

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4512 on: October 11, 2022, 06:05:39 PM »

And there it is

I almost, almost want to say "stop, stop, he's already dead!" but then I remember Oz does have a victory path at this point.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4513 on: October 11, 2022, 06:05:55 PM »

And there it is

Who let the dogs out?!
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4514 on: October 11, 2022, 06:07:27 PM »

Yeah, Oz in particular oozes "wine track" more than any other high-profile candidate in a swing-state race this election cycle.

It feels like a campaign from the 1980's when Dems still had a blue collar Western Pennsylvania base.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4515 on: October 11, 2022, 06:09:43 PM »

It feels like a campaign from the 1980's when Dems still had a blue collar Western Pennsylvania base.
Flashback to the 1986 governor election when the very culturally Catholic and blue collar Democrat Casey ran an ad critical of his opponent and mentioning yoga for some reason.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4516 on: October 11, 2022, 06:11:28 PM »

Can anyone actually view the ad though? The link is not working for me.
swf541

« Reply #4517 on: October 11, 2022, 06:14:23 PM »

Can anyone actually view the ad though? The link is not working for me.

I watched it, took a few tries, its a brutal ad.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4518 on: October 11, 2022, 06:17:27 PM »

ah, found it

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4519 on: October 11, 2022, 06:18:24 PM »

omg- that actually may be the most devastating ad all cycle. wow.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4520 on: October 11, 2022, 06:28:12 PM »

omg- that actually may be the most devastating ad all cycle. wow.

It evokes the feeling I get when an ASPCA commercial airs, and that is not good for Oz if enough Pennsylvanians are like myself.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #4521 on: October 11, 2022, 06:31:09 PM »

I always turn the channel when those commercials come on. And I'll turn it again for this one.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #4522 on: October 11, 2022, 06:47:23 PM »

That ad was good by Democratic campaign standards.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #4523 on: October 11, 2022, 07:39:25 PM »

ah, found it

Caught it during the Phils-Braves NLDS game, which likely means lots of eyes on it in SE/south-central PA.  
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4524 on: October 11, 2022, 07:50:29 PM »

Uh...where did all the pollsters go lol? Couple weeks back everyone with a phone and a few free hours was polling this race. Now it's been a whole week since the last polls (from Monmouth and CenterStreet).
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 178 179 180 [181] 182 183 184 185 186 ... 244  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies