PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:01:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150 151 152 ... 244
Author Topic: PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz  (Read 289917 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3650 on: August 31, 2022, 07:43:03 AM »

Erm, ok, I know the average American swing voter is an idiot, but I don’t think anyone ever thinks “I was going to vote for Fetterman, but he won’t debate, so I’ll now be voting for Oz.”
Are you sure about that.

There are plenty of 2x Trump voters who say they like Fetterman based on style and populism who won’t like somebody looking like he is running. Remember that Fetterman has been getting a not-insignificant portion or Trump voters in the polls.

I agree with you that Dems won’t care whether Fetterman shows up to any debates at all. But I highly doubt that swing voters and former Trump voters won’t notice.

If Trump voters are voting for Fetterman for those reasons, and clearly don't like Oz, I doubt Oz's latest gaffe surrounding this entire thing (and mocking the stroke) is going to resonate with them, or swing voters.

Not just that, but we had focus group data from that Politico article that said the swing voters are actually being turned *off* by Oz hitting Fetterman on his health recovery.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3651 on: August 31, 2022, 08:11:04 AM »
« Edited: August 31, 2022, 08:17:52 AM by wbrocks67 »

Just as I was thinking that Fetterman needs to focus more on abortion, Oz hands him this. If I don't see this audio in ads immediately...

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #3652 on: August 31, 2022, 08:43:14 AM »

I'm not sure pulling out of the September debate is a good idea, unless they agree to reschedule.

I sympathize with his health issues, and I understand. I just don't like the idea of not showing up to a debate. As with Herschel Walker refusing to debate, I still say the debates should be held regardless of candidate attendance. If one candidate pulls out, it automatically shifts to a townhall for the candidate who shows up.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3653 on: August 31, 2022, 08:45:55 AM »

I'm not sure pulling out of the September debate is a good idea, unless they agree to reschedule.

I sympathize with his health issues, and I understand. I just don't like the idea of not showing up to a debate. As with Herschel Walker refusing to debate, I still say the debates should be held regardless of candidate attendance. If one candidate pulls out, it automatically shifts to a townhall for the candidate who shows up.

The thing here is that these debates were never agreed to, nevertheless 5 of them. Oz just randomly said that "5 media outlets had reached out to offer dates" and one of them was next week. No coordinated campaign schedule would have *five* senate debates between the two of them. Fetterman didn't pull out of anything.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #3654 on: August 31, 2022, 09:20:18 AM »

The thing here is that these debates were never agreed to, nevertheless 5 of them. Oz just randomly said that "5 media outlets had reached out to offer dates" and one of them was next week. No coordinated campaign schedule would have *five* senate debates between the two of them. Fetterman didn't pull out of anything.

Ah, okay. Didn't realize that.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3655 on: August 31, 2022, 09:28:15 AM »

Ah, okay. Didn't realize that.

I do agree that Fetterman should debate him at least once. But I suspect if that happens it likely won't be until October maybe.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3656 on: August 31, 2022, 10:25:16 AM »

Oz really has a hell of a time now mocking people struggling with addiction. Let alone, what would be his own constituents.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3657 on: August 31, 2022, 11:38:49 AM »

Frankly,

He has too many health problems to be a competent senator. I fail to see how this is controversial at all.

This entire schtick from people to act like stroke survivors can't eventually get a job and be a productive member of society is completely gross. Not just that, but still recovering with some auditory and speaking issues does not make you "incompetent" in the slightest.

Honestly, I wouldn't imagine that most stroke survivors would be out doing this much even just 3 months afterwards, so I'd also give him a lot of credit for that.

I don't think "stroke survivors" can't hold a job.

However when someone having a stroke is literally running for office just after this stroke and that he has been having for months difficulties to literally be able to talk, that is seriously problematic too me.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3658 on: August 31, 2022, 11:44:42 AM »

This is the best I've seen recently of Fetterman's speaking abilities. He was a bit more halting at the big rally in a few other videos, but he seems to be getting a lot better.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3659 on: August 31, 2022, 11:45:21 AM »

Frankly,

He has too many health problems to be a competent senator. I fail to see how this is controversial at all.

This entire schtick from people to act like stroke survivors can't eventually get a job and be a productive member of society is completely gross. Not just that, but still recovering with some auditory and speaking issues does not make you "incompetent" in the slightest.

Honestly, I wouldn't imagine that most stroke survivors would be out doing this much even just 3 months afterwards, so I'd also give him a lot of credit for that.

However when someone having a stroke is literally running for office just after this stroke and that he has been having for months difficulties to literally be able to talk, that is seriously problematic too me.

Slowly getting your speaking abilities back to where they were =/= their brain power not being competent enough to do the job.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3660 on: August 31, 2022, 12:04:04 PM »

Frankly,

Slowly getting your speaking abilities back to where they were =/= their brain power not being competent enough to do the job.
He's not fit to do the job now.

In a few years, probably.

But the election is in a few months!
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3661 on: August 31, 2022, 12:05:03 PM »

Oz really has a hell of a time now mocking people struggling with addiction. Let alone, what would be his own constituents.

The average age of that crowd has to be at least 65.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3662 on: August 31, 2022, 12:08:05 PM »

Frankly,

Says who? Honestly given the fact that he just had the stroke *3 months ago*, the fact that he really only has some lingering small auditory and speaking issues is pretty stunning.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #3663 on: August 31, 2022, 01:00:34 PM »

Am I still a corporatist neoliberal traitor for expressing concern that Fetterman's stroke will handicap him on the campaign trail?

You are still a "corporatist neoliberal traitor," as you put it, but not for that reason
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #3664 on: August 31, 2022, 01:08:22 PM »

Herschel Walker cannot put together a coherent sentence and we're still talking about the damn stroke? This is Blue MAGA's "but her emails!"
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3665 on: August 31, 2022, 01:18:59 PM »

Herschel Walker cannot put together a coherent sentence and we're still talking about the damn stroke? This is Blue MAGA's "but her emails!"

Well for the record, Herschen Walker is unfit to be a senator too, and his case is WAY WORSE than Fetterman's
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3666 on: August 31, 2022, 06:45:42 PM »

Fetterman will be on MSNBC tonight for an interview with Stephanie Ruhle at 11p.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3667 on: August 31, 2022, 06:51:00 PM »

Frankly,

Who cares? We have a ton of 80+ year old senators and a President who can barely talk. Fetterman has a few more months to recover before he takes the job, and it’s for a six year term.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3668 on: August 31, 2022, 07:35:28 PM »

Finally Philly!

Fetterman will walk in the Philly Labor Day parade on Monday (and then Pittsburgh in the afternoon)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3669 on: August 31, 2022, 09:47:51 PM »

a hypothetical replacement should fit the voter coalition that chose him, rather than being someone who attacked and alienated those voters.
What does this even mean? Who would decide that said candidate "fits" the voter coalition that chose him? When did Lamb attack voters? Huh?

Anyway, Fetterman will be elected to the United States Senate. He's done an amazing job of cultivating an image of himself and his cult following effectively bats down negative things about him + Mehmet Oz is a sh!t candidate. I don't know why folks are still going on and on about this.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3670 on: August 31, 2022, 11:45:00 PM »

a hypothetical replacement should fit the voter coalition that chose him, rather than being someone who attacked and alienated those voters.
What does this even mean? Who would decide that said candidate "fits" the voter coalition that chose him? When did Lamb attack voters? Huh?

Anyway, Fetterman will be elected to the United States Senate. He's done an amazing job of cultivating an image of himself and his cult following effectively bats down negative things about him + Mehmet Oz is a sh!t candidate. I don't know why folks are still going on and on about this.

You're giving everyone else a lecture about cultish behaviour?

I think you just broke the irony metre.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3671 on: September 01, 2022, 09:42:56 AM »

Fetterman literally sounds 90-95% back to normal in the interview from last night. In a free-wheeling interview, he seems to do way better with his speech with off the cuff stuff. I wonder if he has a harder time with some of the reading off the prompters or remembering campaign event lines from memory since those seemed to come off a little bit more rough at some of the events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVZ54a0K3a0
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3672 on: September 01, 2022, 11:09:31 AM »

I'm sure the hand-wringing about Fetterman's stroke would be happening all the same if he had run as the "moderate" while Lamb had run as the "progressive." Totally has nothing whatsoever to do with ideological tribalism, nope nope nope.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3673 on: September 01, 2022, 01:48:48 PM »

What even is the Oz campaign strategy at this point? They're just throwing a bunch of mean, racist, ableist sh*t at the wall and seeing what will stick

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3674 on: September 01, 2022, 01:55:46 PM »

What even is the Oz campaign strategy at this point? They're just throwing a bunch of mean, racist, ableist sh*t at the wall and seeing what will stick

https://twitter.com/laurenhtexas/status/1565365819202207751

Bold to assume they would care about facts.

This just speaks to the desperation of the Oz campaign. Apparently, attacking Fetterman for his health wasn't enough.

Fetterman is good at countering that:

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150 151 152 ... 244  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies