PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 07:24:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 ... 244
Author Topic: PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz  (Read 290769 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3750 on: September 06, 2022, 05:49:08 PM »

Maybe not the best thing to say when you’re already struggling with the MAGA base

As I noted the other day, the base had more enthusiasm for Mastriano at the Trump rally than they did for Oz. I certainly don't see this helping Oz with the base, although this is a position that would be palatable to swing voters. Oz is in a "damned if he does, damned if he doesn't" scenario. Any position that he could take could alienate swing voters, and the next position could alienate the base. Mastriano, who is all in on a base-only strategy and has no interest in winning over swing voters, doesn't have the same kind of problems.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3751 on: September 06, 2022, 05:55:27 PM »

Omg, theres audio too

Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3752 on: September 06, 2022, 05:56:22 PM »

Maybe not the best thing to say when you’re already struggling with the MAGA base

As I noted the other day, the base had more enthusiasm for Mastriano at the Trump rally than they did for Oz. I certainly don't see this helping Oz with the base, although this is a position that would be palatable to swing voters. Oz is in a "damned if he does, damned if he doesn't" scenario. Any position that he could take could alienate swing voters, and the next position could alienate the base. Mastriano, who is all in on a base-only strategy and has no interest in winning over swing voters, doesn't have the same kind of problems.

I'm holding onto my prediction that Mastriano overperforms Oz
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3753 on: September 06, 2022, 05:56:35 PM »

Now we know for a fact that Oz's campaign is flailing and just throwing sh*t at the wall, because he's trying to push the jogger incident. We all know what happened with Lamb's campaign as well when he tried to do this.

Silver lining - I hope at least - is that this pushes Fetterman to put more effort into Philly as I was saying.

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3754 on: September 06, 2022, 05:57:11 PM »

I'm leaning towards that view as well, especially since Mastriano has run ahead of Oz in every poll I've seen to date.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3755 on: September 06, 2022, 06:03:44 PM »

Now we know for a fact that Oz's campaign is flailing and just throwing sh*t at the wall, because he's trying to push the jogger incident. We all know what happened with Lamb's campaign as well when he tried to do this.

Silver lining - I hope at least - is that this pushes Fetterman to put more effort into Philly as I was saying.

Given my expectations for the GOP, this might actually make Fetterman more appealing to some of their voters.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3756 on: September 06, 2022, 06:07:10 PM »

I'm leaning towards that view as well, especially since Mastriano has run ahead of Oz in every poll I've seen to date.

I would also not be surprised if there are some Mastriano/senate third party voters as well which will hurt Oz.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3757 on: September 06, 2022, 06:09:56 PM »

I would also not be surprised if there are some Mastriano/senate third party voters as well which will hurt Oz.

Who are the third-party candidates running for Senate in Pennsylvania? I haven't heard anything about that.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3758 on: September 06, 2022, 06:17:08 PM »

Who are the third-party candidates running for Senate in Pennsylvania? I haven't heard anything about that.

Good question, though I believe at the very least there was a couple that qualified (Libertarian and Green or Lib and Keystone party or something)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3759 on: September 06, 2022, 06:23:25 PM »

Huh, funny how he tried to act as if he was not an election denier at the press conference today and then when he goes on Fox...

Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3760 on: September 06, 2022, 06:27:42 PM »

Tilt D -> Tilt R -> Tilt D
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3761 on: September 06, 2022, 06:55:38 PM »

If Oz loses, I wonder if he goes back to his talk show.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3762 on: September 06, 2022, 07:16:30 PM »

........what?

EDIT:
Quote from: Dr. Oz
My daughters hate my smell.

Debating making this my new signature

Why does Jezebel of all places consider second-cousin romance to be "incest"?   Are they late medieval Catholic bishops?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3763 on: September 06, 2022, 10:09:59 PM »

Why does Jezebel of all places consider second-cousin romance to be "incest"?   Are they late medieval Catholic bishops?

Second cousins is absolutely incest...
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3764 on: September 06, 2022, 10:12:00 PM »

........what?

EDIT:

American society in general is incredibly persnickety about consanginuity by world standards. It might be a holdover from the strength the eugenics movement once had here or something.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #3765 on: September 06, 2022, 10:19:08 PM »

Ok, a conversation about incest and cousins isn’t really relevant here.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #3766 on: September 06, 2022, 10:37:56 PM »

I think the more relevant issue tbh is that Dr. Oz's daughters apparently think he smells lol
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #3767 on: September 06, 2022, 10:38:03 PM »

........what?

EDIT:

American society in general is incredibly persnickety about consanginuity by world standards. It might be a holdover from the strength the eugenics movement once had here or something.

The issue with that is eugenics is complete bs, whereas there are actual genealogical concerns over incest.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3768 on: September 06, 2022, 10:41:35 PM »

........what?

EDIT:

The issue with that is eugenics is complete bs, whereas there are actual genealogical concerns over incest.

Sure, but second cousins is really not that closely related compared to what other societies normally use the word "incest" to mean.

Regardless, Oz's remark is creepy irrespective of the point he was trying to make and contributes to the perception that he's a wacko with little or no idea how the people he wants to be his constituents talk and think, which is the main issue for this thread.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3769 on: September 06, 2022, 10:59:38 PM »

Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3770 on: September 06, 2022, 11:05:36 PM »

........what?

EDIT:

Why does Jezebel of all places consider second-cousin romance to be "incest"?   Are they late medieval Catholic bishops?

Stigmatizing cousin marriage was good for American society because it:

1. Made it impossible for extended families to be extremely tight-knit and clannish and by extension prone to nepotism. (Also, money and power tended to dissipate - even dissipating among disparate upper-class families was preferable to the alternative of having, say, Rockefellers and Morgans marrying each other until they became even more wealthy and probably prone to Habsburgian levels of deformity.)

2. Often forced people to marry outside their ethnic group, enabling families to be melted down into American mutts in the span of a generation or two rather than continue existing as balkanized ethnic blocs.

If you have a country where you have to give every job to an incompetent person because he's somebody's "cousin" and everyone believes their own ethnic/religious sect should be privileged above all others, congratulations—you've got Lebanon. That's going well.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #3771 on: September 06, 2022, 11:12:58 PM »

Tilt Fetterman -> Tilt Oz
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3772 on: September 06, 2022, 11:40:18 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2022, 11:43:31 PM by ProgressiveModerate »

I think it's really the breathing which makes Fetterman speaking look so bad. He has to take more/longer breaths every few words which just ruins the flow and ofc makes him look unhealthy. How unhealthy he is is impossible to say, but do consider a stroke is pretty major and he's also generally a big guy.

I think he's also a bit of an akward public speaker. Look at insta at some of his reels asking for donations and stuff which are precorded in his home. You don't have the long breaths, but the way he uses tone inflections is untraditional to say the least and this was always true of him pre-stroke.

That combination can really give the impression he almost seems lost in what he's saying.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ch0t9ujD4jw/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. He's just kinda awkward in his speech and the way he uses inflections. Normally this actually may help him develop character but paired with the breathing stuff it works agianst him.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3773 on: September 07, 2022, 12:09:09 AM »

I'm really starting to see the light on the concerns about Fetterman's stroke. Biden's speaking abilities were how Pete Buttigieg managed to defeat him in the 2020 primaries in Pennsylvania, and how Donald Trump managed to come back and upset him in the general.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3774 on: September 07, 2022, 01:10:00 AM »

Can anyone really confidently say Lamb would be doing worse than Fetterman at this point? Between the jogger ad designed to depress black turnout, debate dodge, and the incoherent speeches. Oz has more of opening than he ever would’ve with Lamb.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 ... 244  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies