Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:27:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 352427 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1800 on: October 21, 2021, 07:26:11 PM »

It’s getting worse in loudon. This isn’t daily wire anymore reporting it

It’s actual local news

I honestly hope the school board members sleep in absolute terror tonight and even urinate in their beds thinking about how bad it is going to get for them in the coming days

beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #1801 on: October 21, 2021, 07:45:39 PM »

It’s actual local news

I honestly hope the school board members sleep in absolute terror tonight and even urinate in their beds thinking about how bad it is going to get for them in the coming days

This is an awful story and everyone that is involved should probably lose their job, but I don't understand how this is a state-wide issue.

The school board is non-partisan (and I have no idea what their beliefs are), the Sheriff is a Republican, and I have no idea what the principal is.  Maybe I'm missing something but is there any reason why this relates to the gubernatorial election?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1802 on: October 21, 2021, 07:51:55 PM »

Thats it.. I will roll around on the ground now and scream profanities so I dont on election night.

Looking forward to text banking tomorrow.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1803 on: October 21, 2021, 08:02:28 PM »

Technically, yes, but gamble/betting usually involve some risk, which according to you almost doesn't exist in this case.

Betting for WY getting red would get you like 0.01% return, thus you have a risk of losing money on average despite high probability.
Betting for McAuliffe would give you like 20% returns, which given your claims (no real chance of winning) is almost free money. Stats 101.

Whatever, this leads nowhere.

My whole point is that encouraging any kind of betting is not good advice, for many reasons that are even more off-topic.

Anyway, I’ll be compiling a list of all the doomer posts to revisit on November 3rd. It’ll be fun, but naturally, no one will learn anything and we’ll still hear from some about how Virginia is totally still a swing state that Biden could totally lose in 2024.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #1804 on: October 21, 2021, 08:19:03 PM »

It’s actual local news

This is an awful story and everyone that is involved should probably lose their job, but I don't understand how this is a state-wide issue.

The school board is non-partisan (and I have no idea what their beliefs are), the Sheriff is a Republican, and I have no idea what the principal is.  Maybe I'm missing something but is there any reason why this relates to the gubernatorial election?

Scratching my head as to how this post by Matty pertains to McAuliffe or Youngkin.
Hollywood
« Reply #1805 on: October 21, 2021, 08:24:43 PM »

It’s actual local news

That's National News.  The Loudon County School Board was not reporting sexual assaults. Most notably, one where a transgender boy assaulted a girl in the girl's bathroom.  McAuliffe sided with the school board.  And then people really got pissed when Biden threatened to send the DOJ after school board protestors.  
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1806 on: October 21, 2021, 08:27:25 PM »

Scratching my head as to how this post by Matty pertains to McAuliffe or Youngkin.

Well, a major part of American elections is politicians taking bad things that happen in society and trying to pin it on their political opponents as if they were the sole reason for it, and vice versa for good things.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #1807 on: October 21, 2021, 08:30:52 PM »

Well, a major part of American elections is politicians taking bad things that happen in society and trying to pin it on their political opponents as if they were the sole reason for it, and vice versa for good things.

I know why he posted it, my comment was merely rhetorical.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1808 on: October 21, 2021, 09:13:42 PM »

You guys are acting like it's still 2010.  A low turnout election actually BENEFITS democrats now that they are the party of educated/wealthy suburbs. 

That's not proven yet. I'll believe it when I see it.

2017, 2018 vs. 2020.

And how has 2021 gone so far?  CA didn't go like people here expected...  Remember when SoCal and Orange County in particular were gonna vote strongly YES on the recall?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1809 on: October 21, 2021, 10:24:13 PM »

Still don't understand why NJ and VA still have odd-year elections for State Races.

I can understand some of the "Doomsters" from VA considering that even in OR which hasn't voted PUB for PRES since '84 and GOV since 1982, but yet we have had many frequently closely contested Gubernatorial races where PUBs have almost won since then.

Obviously VA is quite a few decades behind OR to becoming a solidly DEM State, but a lot of folks vote differently for State Races (Especially in off-years) than in PRES years.

Suspect this will come down to TO and the composition of the electorate and if the PUB "Suburban Strategy" in the VA-GOV race will pan out.

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1810 on: October 21, 2021, 10:26:49 PM »

Still don't understand why NJ and VA still have odd-year elections for State Races.

Idk about VA, but for NJ, Gov. Alfred Driscoll instituted this system in the 1940s so the state-level races could be decoupled from national ones. Personally, I like it. At least it gives us something to follow and talk about!
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1811 on: October 22, 2021, 12:26:40 AM »

Some of y'all really have got to chill out.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1812 on: October 22, 2021, 01:55:36 AM »

I still have McAuliffe+4 and it could very well be my final prediction.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1813 on: October 22, 2021, 05:06:57 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2021, 05:37:21 AM by wbrocks67 »

It’s actual local news

The school board is non-partisan (and I have no idea what their beliefs are), the Sheriff is a Republican, and I have no idea what the principal is.  Maybe I'm missing something but is there any reason why this relates to the gubernatorial election?

That's National News.  The Loudon County School Board was not reporting sexual assaults. Most notably, one where a transgender boy assaulted a girl in the girl's bathroom.  McAuliffe sided with the school board.  And then people really got pissed when Biden threatened to send the DOJ after school board protestors.  

Sigh. That's not what happpened. It's not just "school board protestors", it was towards the absolutely unhinged people who were coming to literally threaten the lives of school workers... which shouldn't be a partisan issue. Apparently it's totally okay though for parents, or whoever, to come to meetings and threaten the lives of people who work at the school in the name of "education"!

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1814 on: October 22, 2021, 05:37:37 AM »

Anyway, Harris was in VA last night.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1815 on: October 22, 2021, 08:00:11 AM »

So Republicans are making it an issue to protect people who are rioting?

I think you meant to quote the DOJ thing but yes, basically. Essentially the GOP is mad that the DOJ is going after these deranged lunatics going to school board meetings looking to threaten people. GOP trying to create a narrative that DOJ is going "after" "concerned parents" which is not at all what is going on.

Again, not sure how this is playing in the suburbs, but I don't imagine the lunatics going to school board meetings and yelling about masks and how they're going to "get" school board members is supposed to help GOP?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1816 on: October 22, 2021, 08:12:35 AM »

I don't know if it was mentioned here but Biden will be in VA to campaign with T-Mac on Tuesday.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1817 on: October 22, 2021, 08:18:17 AM »

I don't know if it was mentioned here but Biden will be in VA to campaign with T-Mac on Tuesday.

Might as well since Dems running away from their Presidents have never helped them in the past.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1818 on: October 22, 2021, 08:33:01 AM »

I think you meant to quote the DOJ thing but yes, basically. Essentially the GOP is mad that the DOJ is going after these deranged lunatics going to school board meetings looking to threaten people. GOP trying to create a narrative that DOJ is going "after" "concerned parents" which is not at all what is going on.

Again, not sure how this is playing in the suburbs, but I don't imagine the lunatics going to school board meetings and yelling about masks and how they're going to "get" school board members is supposed to help GOP?

Thanks. Don't know how that happened. Phones, right?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1819 on: October 22, 2021, 08:35:38 AM »

They're showing "passion".
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1820 on: October 22, 2021, 09:22:32 AM »

I still think this will turn out to be a 53-45 McAuliffe win in the end
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1821 on: October 22, 2021, 09:29:02 AM »

Talk about gaffes, Youngkin's personal instinct is a "no" on same-sex marriage:

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1822 on: October 22, 2021, 09:42:50 AM »

Awkward. It probably means he would lead from behind on any new attempts at for a DOM law.
compucomp

« Reply #1823 on: October 22, 2021, 09:50:11 AM »

This is probably less of a gaffe than you think. I checked at least two recent polls about same-sex marriage and they asked if it should be legal, not whether they personally approve of it. Someone should run a more careful poll on this but I believe that the opinion "no I don't approve of same-sex marriage, however they should be legal" will have substantial support, and that's the view that Youngkin is expressing here.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #1824 on: October 22, 2021, 10:02:39 AM »

As an educator I’ve been following these stories. This is happening nationwide and people are making threats against schools and educators. Some explicit but most are vague and ambiguous.

I work in Trump country in rural Massachusetts. We had a speaker last year to talk about racism in my >95% white working class school. Parents lost their damn minds in a fb group because a man was saying “racism is bad, every PoC has a story about it and there’s more to the world than the town you live in.” And this was well before the GOP started sending their Cult 45 brown shirts to start being belligerent in school board meetings, most of which are non-partisan and consist of people who live in town.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies