NH-SEN 2022 Megathread: General Dysfunction
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 03:18:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NH-SEN 2022 Megathread: General Dysfunction
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 31
Author Topic: NH-SEN 2022 Megathread: General Dysfunction  (Read 42013 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: November 07, 2021, 02:57:42 PM »

What happened in Virginia must have emboldened him.

This is true, though I think the race would lean toward him even if McAuliffe won in VA. Now he has pretty much nothing to fear if he does make a bid. As for myself I'm on the fence about who to support if he runs. I usually oppose Republicans and Phil Scott and Charlie Baker are more my type, but Sununu doesn't seem too bad, though I wish he'd made NH enter the interstate climate agreement that Baker, Scott and Larry Hogan put their states in.

I'm a moderate Republican who voted for Biden too. But if you're at the point where your heart wants the Democrat to win most of the time, that should tell you that you're not a centrist Republican, you're a centrist Democrat. Sununu is very moderate. Any self-described moderate Republican should support him.

Fair enough, but I consider Sununu more libertarian. I absolutely support centrists like the GOP governors of two of NH's neighbouring states - Baker and Scott. Sununu is more conservative (fiscally conservative, I'd say, and socially moderate, just like a libertarian). He holds some liberal views, but in reality my top two issues (aside from COVID19 and stopping the Big Lie) are guns and climate change. While Scott and Baker have taking meaningful action on these issues, Sununu has not - he didn't join that interstate climate agreement which Baker and Scott signed their states up for. He's pretty pro-gun. And he hasn't handled COVID19 as well as Scott or Baker. And while Scott and Baker have been vocally anti-Trump on some occassions, Sununu's stayed silent on the issue. In fact, I agree with you on my being a centrist Democrat in practice - I usually support Democrats over Republicans, and it's not even just a Trump thing, so it's actually saying a lot if I'm on the fence about supporting Sununu. I think this post might help explain to you why I'm a 'Republican' despite really being more of a Democrat in many ways. Returning back to my previous point for a moment, even if Sununu is to be considered a centrist he's liberal on issues which I don't really care much about and/or am myself moderate-to-conservative on. For instance, he supports some drugs. Myself, I firstly hardly care about drugs (it's not my 1st, 2nd, or even 7th most prioritized issue), and secondly am not liberal on the issue (I think veterans should have access to marijuana, and it can be used for medical purposes, but if it's for non-veteran and recreational purposes, it should be allowed but with a hefty sales tax imposed nationally, to discourage drug use without banning it and to create new national revenue).
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #251 on: November 07, 2021, 10:59:05 PM »

That first point might have some merit but honestly, you're either massively exaggerating or delusional if you believe the NH Legislature is nearly as bad as TX's, particularly given the bills the TX legislature's been unleashing recently. To be honest, I think I wouldn't be much farther to the left of the average Republican in NH. NH's Republicans (both voters and legislators) aren't that Trumpish, or at the very least not nearly as Trumpish as the Texan GOP. The TXGOP is one of the worst state Republican parties in some ways - at least if you look at in terms of the power and control they assert and the number of people they get to govern over. The NHGOP is much more moderate.

You're an idiot if you think the NHGOP is moderate. If you've been following my state you'd very clearly know Sununu is part of a dying breed.

The Freedom Caucus-types have effectively been in control of the GOP legislative agenda since 2010. It actually took Democrats making a deal with the normiecons in 2014 to keep the Freedom Caucus out of the Speaker's chair. There was a shadow war between the normies and the FC-types, and the NHGOP has chosen their side. The same party leadership is full of the same Freedom Caucus-types that dominated the legislature.

I won't get into much of it this year, but the NH legislature has arguably been the most anti-vaccine in the country. We're also not talking about the abortion ban, which, aside from the term length, is one of the strictest in the country. I'd argue that the state hasn't gone as far as Texas because of what few normiecons are left. Even Sununu has to make some concessions to not bleed support to Bolduc.

Again - I would very highly recommend not condescending to people unless you come correct. Especially not to people who, you know, live in the state you're talking about.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #252 on: November 08, 2021, 12:18:57 AM »

I hope he runs. He'd make a great senator.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #253 on: November 08, 2021, 02:51:12 AM »

Ayotte was ahead of Hassan the final weekend of the yr in 2015/ don't think that a 5 pt lead especially on NH is gonna hold up, all these users think SUNUNU has this in the bag and 5 pts with a yr left no he doesnt

It's gonna follow Blue wall we lost VA, in 2021/ when all our Congressional candidates at the Fed level weren't on the ballot
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #254 on: November 08, 2021, 11:19:23 AM »

That first point might have some merit but honestly, you're either massively exaggerating or delusional if you believe the NH Legislature is nearly as bad as TX's, particularly given the bills the TX legislature's been unleashing recently. To be honest, I think I wouldn't be much farther to the left of the average Republican in NH. NH's Republicans (both voters and legislators) aren't that Trumpish, or at the very least not nearly as Trumpish as the Texan GOP. The TXGOP is one of the worst state Republican parties in some ways - at least if you look at in terms of the power and control they assert and the number of people they get to govern over. The NHGOP is much more moderate.

You're an idiot if you think the NHGOP is moderate. If you've been following my state you'd very clearly know Sununu is part of a dying breed.

The Freedom Caucus-types have effectively been in control of the GOP legislative agenda since 2010. It actually took Democrats making a deal with the normiecons in 2014 to keep the Freedom Caucus out of the Speaker's chair. There was a shadow war between the normies and the FC-types, and the NHGOP has chosen their side. The same party leadership is full of the same Freedom Caucus-types that dominated the legislature.

I won't get into much of it this year, but the NH legislature has arguably been the most anti-vaccine in the country. We're also not talking about the abortion ban, which, aside from the term length, is one of the strictest in the country. I'd argue that the state hasn't gone as far as Texas because of what few normiecons are left. Even Sununu has to make some concessions to not bleed support to Bolduc.

Again - I would very highly recommend not condescending to people unless you come correct. Especially not to people who, you know, [i]live in the state you're talking about[/i].

NSV 2.0?

Yes, this is a fallacy
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #255 on: November 08, 2021, 11:24:07 AM »

Chris Sununu hasn't been defeated like his brother John Sununu but he almost lost in 2018 to Molly Kelly and he had a 20 pts lead at first and he is only up 5 pts
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #256 on: November 08, 2021, 11:36:29 AM »
« Edited: November 08, 2021, 03:22:04 PM by Your Vote Is A Muscle »

Again - I would very highly recommend not condescending to people unless you come correct. Especially not to people who, you know, [i]live in the state you're talking about[/i].

NSV 2.0?

Yes, this is a fallacy

Let's see... I have clear cited evidence, CentristRepublican has a gut feeling.

I've also been pretty measured (if a bit optimistic) on my NH-Sen takes. I'll freely admit I can get a bit hackish when talking about my state - take a look at my state senate ratings and you can pretty easily tell. Maybe saying this was Tilt D was an overstatement.

That being said, it's hard to be a hack for a candidate you refuse to support.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #257 on: November 08, 2021, 09:19:42 PM »

Again - I would very highly recommend not condescending to people unless you come correct. Especially not to people who, you know, live in the state you're talking about.

All that is fine, but your point of comparison is the TXGOP. They've been there, done that, and much more. I mean, maybe it's got to do with the fact that TX is much bigger and therefore is more important to the media than NH, but I don't see controversial actions the NH legislature/governor have taken cropping up in the news on a regular basis. TX is, as I said, one of the craziest GOP's even otherwise. The NH legislators may be terrible, but they still, no matter what their motivation, have not done nearly as much damage as the TX legislature has.  

Having said that, you are right about some things. I sincerely and wholeheartedly apologize if you considered the way I spoke in a rude or condescending (admittedly, some of it - the "delusional" part - was unnecessarily aggressive) manner. That wasn't my intent. And yes, you obviously have more knowledge about NH than I do, given that you reside there. Those are fair points. And lastly, I think I was also overestimating how many Rockefeller Republicans are left in New England. I think the reason was because I consider most New England Republicans to be like the three best-known New England Republicans: centrists Susan Collins (yes, I consider her a centrist), Phil Scott (KaiserDave can attest to this), and Charlie Baker (almost identical to Scott in terms of policy).

But I still stand by much of what I said. I'd invite you to name bills the NH legislature have passed that are as terrible in magnitude as TX's. TX has passed terrible bills on masks (schools and businesses), guns, abortion, critical race theory, to name just a few. If you can, name what the NH legislature has done that is as bad on each of those issues. And if you can't (which, quite frankly, I suspect to be the case), you've proven my point that the NH legislature is still much better than TX's.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #258 on: November 09, 2021, 07:48:28 AM »

He will be announcing his plans at 9:30 today

JMT

« Reply #259 on: November 09, 2021, 07:53:12 AM »

Announcement coming today:

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #260 on: November 09, 2021, 08:04:44 AM »

Democrats now:
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #261 on: November 09, 2021, 08:12:35 AM »

I don't see why he'd be making such a big deal of it if he isn't running for Senate. He's in. Lean R.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #262 on: November 09, 2021, 08:25:05 AM »

I don't see why he'd be making such a big deal of it if he isn't running for Senate. He's in. Lean R.
He has 3 young Children! Why make the Announcement in Concord? It's really a 50/50 Chance regarding a Senate Run!

Many Governors who have a young Family are reluctant to move to Washington and rather love to stay in their respective Home States.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #263 on: November 09, 2021, 08:31:54 AM »

R Takeover
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #264 on: November 09, 2021, 08:40:12 AM »

Seems like he's in. You don't make a "long-awaited announcement" to not run, usually.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #265 on: November 09, 2021, 08:50:26 AM »

Seems like he's in. You don't make a "long-awaited announcement" to not run, usually.
Probably but I am not sure. Like I've said he has a young family with 3 Children.

Having a young family contributed no doubt in my mind why Ron DeSantis quit Congress and ran for Governor of Florida in 2018.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #266 on: November 09, 2021, 08:58:19 AM »

He's running. I have had a good hint on this for about a month.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #267 on: November 09, 2021, 09:03:44 AM »

Tilt R if he's actually in.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #268 on: November 09, 2021, 09:26:35 AM »

If he doesn't run, he would run for Gov again, correct?
ibagli
United States

« Reply #269 on: November 09, 2021, 09:34:09 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2021, 09:37:15 AM by ibagli »

"I've had to work hard to push back on Washington's attempts..." That wouldn't make sense unless he's running.

Edit: "The Senate is clearly a very different place." So maybe not.

Edit 2: He's running for re-election as governor. Phew.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #270 on: November 09, 2021, 09:35:48 AM »

Sad
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #271 on: November 09, 2021, 09:35:52 AM »

Yeah he's going for a fourth term as Gov.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #272 on: November 09, 2021, 09:36:01 AM »

HE'S NOT RUNNING FOR SENATE.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #273 on: November 09, 2021, 09:36:13 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2021, 09:44:27 AM by SirWoodbury »

He just announced he is running again for governor, coward. Looks like it's Bolduc... or maybe Ayotte.

This race is still a toss up.
JMT

« Reply #274 on: November 09, 2021, 09:38:08 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies