COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 12:21:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 375 376 377 [378] 379 380 381 382 383 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 546373 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9425 on: January 25, 2022, 08:42:31 AM »

Pfizer and BioNTech begin clinical trial for Omicron-specific vaccine

Pfizer and BioNTech have begun a clinical trial for their Omicron-specific Covid-19 vaccine candidate, they announced in a news release on Tuesday.

The study will evaluate the vaccine for safety, tolerability and the level of immune response, as both a primary series and a booster dose, in up to 1,420 healthy adults ages 18 to 55.

The study is broken up into three groups:

Participants in the first cohort have received two doses of the current Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine at least 90 to 180 days before the study. They will receive one or two doses of the Omicron-specific vaccine.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/25/health/pfizer-biontech-omicron-vaccine-trial/index.html
compucomp

« Reply #9426 on: January 25, 2022, 10:08:02 AM »

84% approve of the government supply free test kits and masks, but this forum hates the move. Finally there is proof that this forum is totally out of touch with the public on this issue and quite honestly out of touch with reality. You really should reconsider whether you want to fight to support a position with 16% support. You can add the usual 5-10% for the Republican position and it would still be deep in the minority.

Biden administration providing free COVID-19 tests, masks overwhelmingly popular: poll

The Biden administration’s efforts to provide free COVID-19 tests and masks to Americans across the country are overwhelmingly popular, according to a new poll.

The survey, conducted by Axios and Ipsos, found that 84 percent of adults in the U.S. strongly or somewhat support the federal government mailing free at-home COVID-19 tests to anyone who requests them.

Additionally, 84 percent of respondents said they strongly or somewhat support the federal government providing N95 masks to anyone who wants one through pharmacies and health clinics.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #9427 on: January 25, 2022, 10:09:39 AM »

84% approve of the government supply free test kits and masks, but this forum hates the move. Finally there is proof that this forum is totally out of touch with the public on this issue and quite honestly out of touch with reality. You really should reconsider whether you want to fight to support a position with 16% support. You can add the usual 5-10% for the Republican position and it would still be deep in the minority.

Biden administration providing free COVID-19 tests, masks overwhelmingly popular: poll

The Biden administration’s efforts to provide free COVID-19 tests and masks to Americans across the country are overwhelmingly popular, according to a new poll.

The survey, conducted by Axios and Ipsos, found that 84 percent of adults in the U.S. strongly or somewhat support the federal government mailing free at-home COVID-19 tests to anyone who requests them.

Additionally, 84 percent of respondents said they strongly or somewhat support the federal government providing N95 masks to anyone who wants one through pharmacies and health clinics.

Why would anyone hate free tests and masks?  Seems like a no-brainer to me, that necessary items in a post-covid world should be free.
compucomp

« Reply #9428 on: January 25, 2022, 10:17:33 AM »

Why would anyone hate free tests and masks?  Seems like a no-brainer to me, that necessary items in a post-covid world should be free.

Go back through this thread, multiple posters attacked the move because it promotes the hated masks, exaggerates the threat of COVID, and impedes the "return to normalcy". In reality, people who still take the virus seriously (like me) strongly support the move, while people who don't have a strong opinion think, "Hey free stuff from the government, awesome!". The people who are opposed are the loudest here but finally it's revealed that they are actually deep in the minority.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9429 on: January 25, 2022, 10:27:05 AM »

Why would anyone hate free tests and masks?  Seems like a no-brainer to me, that necessary items in a post-covid world should be free.

This seems like a contradiction. Yes, people should have access to tests and masks if they wish, but this implies an acceptance of the "new normal" which incorporates permanent changes to our lifestyles, far more so than any that may have been introduced by the Spanish Flu.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9430 on: January 25, 2022, 10:36:45 AM »

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #9431 on: January 25, 2022, 10:45:03 AM »

Great to see another country achieving freedom from the pandemic. We owe vaccines and our dear friend omicron a massive debt. Hopefully only weeks until Biden too can declare this thing over.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9432 on: January 25, 2022, 10:52:22 AM »

Okay, I do not know how effective vaccine mandates would be.

The only places in Peru that asked me for my vaccine proof were the long range buses and ... a single ice cream shop in Trujillo, Peru.

Granted, I tend to do prefer street vendors but after all the fanfare that Peru requires proof of vaccination.. its rarely enforced in practice.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9433 on: January 25, 2022, 10:57:13 AM »

Great to see another country achieving freedom from the pandemic. We owe vaccines and our dear friend omicron a massive debt. Hopefully only weeks until Biden too can declare this thing over.

Denmark has peak infections and hospitalizations right now, 800 people were hospitalized yesterday.  Once they remove all the restrictions that number will only go up further.

Hope their hospitals are capable of handling the flood of severe COVID cases about to hit once all the restrictions are lifted.  Of course 80% of Denmark is fully-vaccinated and 53% are boosted so they're not going to have as many severe cases as other, less-vaccinated countries.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #9434 on: January 25, 2022, 11:10:03 AM »

Biden won't do it. The Democratic Party has completely embraced COVID restrictions as part of its political platform and its identity. It certainly doesn't help that almost all of the party's strategists are suburban snoots that think a midterm strategy devoted to "Stay Home, Save Lives" and agonizing over Marjorie Taylor Greene will be effective.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #9435 on: January 25, 2022, 11:22:28 AM »

Biden won't do it. The Democratic Party has completely embraced COVID restrictions as part of its political platform and its identity. It certainly doesn't help that almost all of the party's strategists are suburban snoots that think a midterm strategy devoted to "Stay Home, Save Lives" and agonizing over Marjorie Taylor Greene will be effective.
I agree. I am thinking that the Democrats will run on permanent mask mandates, rolling lockdowns, and other hygiene theater and virtue signaling stuff regarding COVID in the midterm elections.

All that I really support at this point regarding COVID NPIs is mask mandates in schools, hospitals, medical facilities, public transport, prisons, governmental offices, vet facilities, animal shelters, homeless shelters, and mental homes, so the Democratic platform regarding COVID restrictions I am not 100% in support. Still, I wear an N95 mask most of the time and have no problem with private businesses implementing COVID restrictions.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #9436 on: January 25, 2022, 11:50:35 AM »

Okay, I do not know how effective vaccine mandates would be.

The only places in Peru that asked me for my vaccine proof were the long range buses and ... a single ice cream shop in Trujillo, Peru.

Granted, I tend to do prefer street vendors but after all the fanfare that Peru requires proof of vaccination.. its rarely enforced in practice.

Asking private businesses to enforce a vaccine mandate is dumb and unfairly onerous on private citizens.  If the state implements a vaccine mandate (which I think they should), they should also be the ones to enforce it.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9437 on: January 25, 2022, 11:55:29 AM »

If Biden actually does this I'll rock a red Delaware av for a month. It ain't happening. Biden is, sadly, no Mette Frederiksen.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #9438 on: January 25, 2022, 11:59:55 AM »

It's been 2 years. The ridiculousness must end.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9439 on: January 25, 2022, 12:03:34 PM »

Read through this thread, many enjoy living this way. They love their masks and sense of superiority. The end of the pandemic means they have to go back to a normal that they, for one reason or another, hated.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #9440 on: January 25, 2022, 12:21:56 PM »

If Biden actually does this I'll rock a red Delaware av for a month. It ain't happening. Biden is, sadly, no Mette Frederiksen.

If Biden has the guts to buck the party and do everything in his power to end the COVID theater then I'd easily consider him a top-10 president at this point (acknowledging that future developments may change my mind). Sadly, I think you're right that this will almost certainly not happen.
compucomp

« Reply #9441 on: January 25, 2022, 12:23:31 PM »

Read through this thread, many enjoy living this way. They love their masks and sense of superiority. The end of the pandemic means they have to go back to a normal that they, for one reason or another, hated.

Have fun being part of the 16% that hates it when the government gives you free masks and test kits. It looks like that group is showing up in force once again on this thread.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #9442 on: January 25, 2022, 12:39:48 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2022, 01:50:09 PM by Oakvale »

Denmark has peak infections and hospitalizations right now, 800 people were hospitalized yesterday.  Once they remove all the restrictions that number will only go up further.

Hope their hospitals are capable of handling the flood of severe COVID cases about to hit once all the restrictions are lifted.  Of course 80% of Denmark is fully-vaccinated and 53% are boosted so they're not going to have as many severe cases as other, less-vaccinated countries.

It's not actually remotely clear that there's any real truth to this given the insane prevalence of omicron and the negligible impact on transmission of any public health measures but, regardless, seems like they're not too worried about it! Maybe they haven't read the latest Feigl-Ding griftpost about the Danish sub-variant?

Bear in mind, of course, that we know that about half of all 'omicron' hospitalisations are incidental cases, too. Congratulations to the Danes on their forthcoming liberation.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9443 on: January 25, 2022, 01:16:34 PM »

https://dph.illinois.gov/covid19/data/hospitalization-utilization.html

There are less people in Illinois hospitals right now than there were on October 1, well before Omicron ever existed.  The number of people occupying ICU beds is also nearly the same (up by about 13).  The only "crisis" going on in our hospitals is a staffing crisis.  The current hospitalization surge will someday be a chapter in a followup to "How to Lie With Statistics".
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9444 on: January 25, 2022, 01:47:09 PM »

I agree. I am thinking that the Democrats will run on permanent mask mandates, rolling lockdowns, and other hygiene theater and virtue signaling stuff regarding COVID in the midterm elections.

I seem to recall a time that you supported permanent mask mandates.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #9445 on: January 25, 2022, 04:09:54 PM »

I seem to recall a time that you supported permanent mask mandates.
My views changed in November after the off year elections. People are entitled to change their views as conditions change. 
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9446 on: January 25, 2022, 05:14:51 PM »

Well if you believed it genuinely then how do you know the Democrats don't?
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #9447 on: January 25, 2022, 11:02:05 PM »

Thoughts on NY's mask mandate being ruled unconstitutional?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9448 on: January 25, 2022, 11:02:53 PM »

Unlikely to survive appeal, but in any event it was just method of implementation under NY law, so not under the federal constitution anyway. Bad facts make bad law; clearly you want state governments to be able to do things like this even if you're suspicious of the federal government doing it.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #9449 on: January 25, 2022, 11:36:38 PM »

We spent the 2010s fighting against the school-to-prison pipeline.

But the 2020s have been spent turning schools into prisons.

Masks in schools must go, and there must be accountability for those who enforced it.
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 375 376 377 [378] 379 380 381 382 383 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies