COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 06:29:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 422 423 424 [425] 426 427 428 429 430 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 546572 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10600 on: March 29, 2022, 12:31:34 PM »

Masks aren’t even that effective to begin with unless you’re already sick. The virus is mild now and transmission is relatively low (although likely to oscillate over the next several months) anyway. Masking is mostly a false sense of security at this point yet a few people here and in other places I know online continue to do it because they’ve become germaphobes thanks to the Democrats fear mongering (even if it was justified pre-vaccine) of the virus. They should be allowed to do it yes but I should also be allowed to think it’s dumb.

I mentioned above that there is one coworker at my job who stopped wearing a mask this week, after having held out for a month. He told me that he was waiting to get his booster shot, and now that he has it, he's done. At least he had a relatively good reason. But I had another coworker who went maskless for a few days, after having held out, because she said that the mask was uncomfortable.

But she went right back to masking after that, and I don't know when she is going to stop. And there is yet another coworker-an older lady-who is still masking up, but with a cloth mask that she doesn't even fit on properly. There is one more coworker who is still wearing an N95 mask, although none of the other people in her department are still masking up. Everyone has their preferences, but I don't always understand them.

Among the people in my area that still wear masks even outside, a big number of them tends to be East Asian immigrants who still maintain culturally considerate and collective neurotic and anti social behavior they brought over from their native land where wearing masks during cold/flu season in pre-covid era was already prevalent. I understand this thread has been inundated with obsessive level as to why the pandemic is not ending, but this behavior is not limited to the US.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41599-022-01057-z

"....... in a survey in Germany among >650 respondents, we find that the majority plans to use face masks in certain situations even after the end of the pandemic. We observe that this willingness is strongly related to the perception that there is something to be learned from East Asians’ handling of pandemics, even when controlling for perceived protection by wearing masks. Given strong empirical evidence that face masks help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases and given the considerable estimated health and economic costs of such diseases even pre-Corona, this would be a very positive side effect of the current crisis."

Why some choose to wear masks is not related to Biden, Fauci or government's fearmongering, as you can see the remnant behavior exists in countries like Germany too.
Certain events can and will change mindsets for the long term. It's the same reason why considerable number of employers have made remote work viable even after the economy has mostly opened up: less need to come to office so frequently when productivity and lifestyle balance can be achieved without having as much contact and commute-related stress.

Even though I mostly avoid wearing masks, I perfectly understand why some continue to wear them. In epidemiology, there are rarely such things as absolutes and guarantees. We should respect that culture, risk aversion and lingering effects of trauma affect everyone differently.

Ftfy
Asta

« Reply #10601 on: March 29, 2022, 01:14:57 PM »

Masks aren’t even that effective to begin with unless you’re already sick. The virus is mild now and transmission is relatively low (although likely to oscillate over the next several months) anyway. Masking is mostly a false sense of security at this point yet a few people here and in other places I know online continue to do it because they’ve become germaphobes thanks to the Democrats fear mongering (even if it was justified pre-vaccine) of the virus. They should be allowed to do it yes but I should also be allowed to think it’s dumb.

I mentioned above that there is one coworker at my job who stopped wearing a mask this week, after having held out for a month. He told me that he was waiting to get his booster shot, and now that he has it, he's done. At least he had a relatively good reason. But I had another coworker who went maskless for a few days, after having held out, because she said that the mask was uncomfortable.

But she went right back to masking after that, and I don't know when she is going to stop. And there is yet another coworker-an older lady-who is still masking up, but with a cloth mask that she doesn't even fit on properly. There is one more coworker who is still wearing an N95 mask, although none of the other people in her department are still masking up. Everyone has their preferences, but I don't always understand them.

Among the people in my area that still wear masks even outside, a big number of them tends to be East Asian immigrants who still maintain culturally considerate and collective neurotic and anti social behavior they brought over from their native land where wearing masks during cold/flu season in pre-covid era was already prevalent. I understand this thread has been inundated with obsessive level as to why the pandemic is not ending, but this behavior is not limited to the US.

"....... in a survey in Germany among >650 respondents, we find that the majority plans to use face masks in certain situations even after the end of the pandemic. We observe that this willingness is strongly related to the perception that there is something to be learned from East Asians’ handling of pandemics, even when controlling for perceived protection by wearing masks. Given strong empirical evidence that face masks help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases and given the considerable estimated health and economic costs of such diseases even pre-Corona, this would be a very positive side effect of the current crisis."

Why some choose to wear masks is not related to Biden, Fauci or government's fearmongering, as you can see the remnant behavior exists in countries like Germany too.
Certain events can and will change mindsets for the long term. It's the same reason why considerable number of employers have made remote work viable even after the economy has mostly opened up: less need to come to office so frequently when productivity and lifestyle balance can be achieved without having as much contact and commute-related stress.

Even though I mostly avoid wearing masks, I perfectly understand why some continue to wear them. In epidemiology, there are rarely such things as absolutes and guarantees. We should respect that culture, risk aversion and lingering effects of trauma affect everyone differently.

Ftfy

This is speculation at best. If their behavior is as you posit, then they should have extremely high anxiety medication and antidepressant usage rates, but they don't.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10602 on: March 29, 2022, 01:18:07 PM »

Ftfy

This is speculation at best. If their behavior is as you posit, then they should have extremely high anxiety medication and antidepressant usage rates, but they don't.

I would bet everything I own that eternal maskers in the United States and other Western countries have much higher rates of anxiety and depression than John Q Public, and I say that as someone taking antidepressants.
Asta

« Reply #10603 on: March 29, 2022, 01:57:17 PM »

Ftfy

I would bet everything I own that eternal maskers in the United States and other Western countries have much higher rates of anxiety and depression than John Q Public, and I say that as someone taking antidepressants.

I was talking about East Asian immigrants in my sentence. If you're broadly speaking of all eternal maskers in the West only, I don't challenge your claim.

In China, oddly enough, properly adhering to masks guideline seems to be inversely correlated with anxiety though I admit this can have a different effect in the West.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8695308/
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10604 on: March 29, 2022, 02:03:53 PM »

Everybody has some neurotic quirks. It's not a big deal.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10605 on: March 29, 2022, 04:11:17 PM »

A second booster has just been authorized for everyone 50 and over if it has been more than 4 months since your first booster.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/03/29/world/covid-19-mandates-cases-vaccine

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10606 on: March 29, 2022, 06:36:34 PM »

Among the people in my area that still wear masks even outside, a big number of them tends to be East Asian immigrants who still maintain culturally considerate and collective behavior they brought over from their native land where wearing masks during cold/flu season in pre-covid era was already prevalent. I understand this thread has been inundated with obsessive level as to why the pandemic is not ending, but this behavior is not limited to the US.

Well, I'm aware of the custom in Asia of widespread mask-wearing in public, which has been present there for decades. And I've said before myself that many people are going to wear masks seasonally or in perpetuity going forward. I'm not sure if this is as positive a development as you seem to believe it is, but it's one that is certainly going to linger. I've also noticed that older people are more likely to mask up than younger people, perhaps because they have underlying conditions or other concerns.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #10607 on: March 29, 2022, 10:42:26 PM »

For all the fear-mongering about the BA2 variant, cases have continued to (albeit slowly) decline, down 10% in the last week nationally.  They have ticked up a bit in some places that have less natural immunity and got hit less hard by the first Omicron wave, but I don't see anything to suggest that we're heading for another massive spike.

I could see it being like last spring's "April wave", where cases plateaued/slightly rose nationally due to increases in a couple places, while continuing to slowly fall in the South.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10608 on: March 30, 2022, 12:20:02 AM »

Coronavirus deaths in the U.S. fall to their lowest point since the summer.

Fewer than 800 coronavirus deaths are being reported each day in the United States, the lowest daily average since before the Omicron variant took hold late last fall. The last time the rate was this low was in mid-August, according to a New York Times database.

Trends in deaths lag behind cases and hospitalizations by weeks because of the time it takes for people to become seriously ill, and the time needed to complete and file death records.

The seven-day average of new cases has also dropped significantly from the height of the Omicron surge. Though the decrease has slowed in recent days, the average has hovered this past week around 30,000 cases per day, a level last seen in July. Coronavirus hospitalizations plummeted in the last two weeks by about 36 percent, to about 18,000 per day. Intensive care unit hospitalizations have fallen too — by about 43 percent — to under 3,000.

There is always a 'but'...

But as cases increased in parts of Europe, scientists and health officials have already been warning of another rise in U.S. cases and, with it, the first major test of the country’s strategy of living with the virus while limiting its impact. Top U.S. health officials reiterated concerns last week about the impact of stalled Covid-19 response aid amid the spread of BA.2, a highly transmissible Omicron subvariant accounting for about 35 percent of new U.S. cases, as of Monday, and a form of the virus similar to what swept through the nation this winter.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #10609 on: March 30, 2022, 08:46:08 AM »

Coronavirus deaths in the U.S. fall to their lowest point since the summer.

Fewer than 800 coronavirus deaths are being reported each day in the United States, the lowest daily average since before the Omicron variant took hold late last fall. The last time the rate was this low was in mid-August, according to a New York Times database.

Trends in deaths lag behind cases and hospitalizations by weeks because of the time it takes for people to become seriously ill, and the time needed to complete and file death records.

The seven-day average of new cases has also dropped significantly from the height of the Omicron surge. Though the decrease has slowed in recent days, the average has hovered this past week around 30,000 cases per day, a level last seen in July. Coronavirus hospitalizations plummeted in the last two weeks by about 36 percent, to about 18,000 per day. Intensive care unit hospitalizations have fallen too — by about 43 percent — to under 3,000.

There is always a 'but'...

But as cases increased in parts of Europe, scientists and health officials have already been warning of another rise in U.S. cases and, with it, the first major test of the country’s strategy of living with the virus while limiting its impact. Top U.S. health officials reiterated concerns last week about the impact of stalled Covid-19 response aid amid the spread of BA.2, a highly transmissible Omicron subvariant accounting for about 35 percent of new U.S. cases, as of Monday, and a form of the virus similar to what swept through the nation this winter.

one thing I still don't understand: what is the difference between a variant of a virus and a "subvariant"? It it's sufficiently close enough to the original that it can't be classified as a distinct virus, does that mean anyone who already caught the original BA virus would be immune?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10610 on: March 30, 2022, 03:56:59 PM »

Biden got his 2nd booster today. Great! I hope they extend to under 50 soon so I can get one. I've decided I'll try to do it on a Friday and tough it out. I don't want Omicron or BA.2.

LabourJersey, I was kind of wondering that too lol.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10611 on: March 30, 2022, 04:13:08 PM »

Thank you Mr. President!
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #10612 on: March 30, 2022, 05:57:10 PM »

With the FDA authorization, it seems that we are on our way to an annual Covid vaccination with a Spring booster for the vulnerable, just as we have with the flu.

This is very positive as most of the country is no longer waiting by the phone for news of the next booster approval. Normalizing the vaccination as an annual ritual is the best way forward.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10613 on: March 30, 2022, 10:03:30 PM »

With the FDA authorization, it seems that we are on our way to an annual Covid vaccination with a Spring booster for the vulnerable, just as we have with the flu.

This is very positive as most of the country is no longer waiting by the phone for news of the next booster approval. Normalizing the vaccination as an annual ritual is the best way forward.
I'm sorry, what? I guarantee you most Americans do not know/care about booster approval. Waiting by their phones for notifications is a little silly tbh
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #10614 on: March 30, 2022, 10:42:06 PM »

I thought I'd visualize the NY Times data in terms of cases relative to the current national average of 8 cases/100K people.  The dark green states have case rates akin to the national rate during the period in June 2021 when we all thought it was over.

Dark Red: 12+ cases/100K (150%+ of national average)
Light Red: 9-11 cases/100K
Neutral: 8 cases/100K (national average)
Light Green: 5-7 cases/100K
Dark Green: </=4 cases/100K (50% of national average)

The biggest trends that stick out are the relatively high cases in the Northeast and the extremely low cases in the Deep South.  Kentucky really sticks out as an outlier, but their map shows that it's almost all in the eastern part of the state for some reason.  Generally speaking, cases are rising in the Northeast and falling elsewhere.

Louisiana and South Dakota have the lowest rates (at 2/100K), and Alaska has the highest rate (at 28/100K).
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #10615 on: March 31, 2022, 12:23:57 AM »

I'm sorry, what? I guarantee you most Americans do not know/care about booster approval. Waiting by their phones for notifications is a little silly tbh

It’s just a phrase, and I said people are largely *not* paying close attention to it anymore.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #10616 on: March 31, 2022, 08:53:58 AM »

I thought I'd visualize the NY Times data in terms of cases relative to the current national average of 8 cases/100K people.  The dark green states have case rates akin to the national rate during the period in June 2021 when we all thought it was over.

Dark Red: 12+ cases/100K (150%+ of national average)
Light Red: 9-11 cases/100K
Neutral: 8 cases/100K (national average)
Light Green: 5-7 cases/100K
Dark Green: </=4 cases/100K (50% of national average)

The biggest trends that stick out are the relatively high cases in the Northeast and the extremely low cases in the Deep South.  Kentucky really sticks out as an outlier, but their map shows that it's almost all in the eastern part of the state for some reason.  Generally speaking, cases are rising in the Northeast and falling elsewhere.

Louisiana and South Dakota have the lowest rates (at 2/100K), and Alaska has the highest rate (at 28/100K).

Eastern Kentucky is basically the last place in the country to be in the midst of the initial Omicron wave. The northeastern states are a the start of the wave of the newer variant.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10617 on: March 31, 2022, 01:39:09 PM »

Biden got his 2nd booster today. Great! I hope they extend to under 50 soon so I can get one. I've decided I'll try to do it on a Friday and tough it out. I don't want Omicron or BA.2.

If extended to under 50s I'll be eligible as of April 19. Not in a hurry though as there's not really much risk at this point, there's a much bigger risk from the flu.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #10618 on: March 31, 2022, 01:53:48 PM »

Louisiana right now might have the lowest positivity rate of any state in the past 2 years, at 0.8%.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10619 on: March 31, 2022, 05:33:04 PM »

If extended to under 50s I'll be eligible as of April 19. Not in a hurry though as there's not really much risk at this point, there's a much bigger risk from the flu.

I got my booster in November.

I'm willing to get a second booster, but also concerned about the studies showing too many of these boosters could actually be a bad thing. So I'm going to wait and see how cases go before I decide what to do (assuming they eventually drop it to under 50).
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10620 on: March 31, 2022, 07:20:21 PM »

DO NOT GET A BOOSTER EVERY SIX MONTHS!!!!!! ONCE A ING YEAR IN THE FALL IS SUFFICIENT.

I got my booster in November.

I'm willing to get a second booster, but also concerned about the studies showing too many of these boosters could actually be a bad thing. So I'm going to wait and see how cases go before I decide what to do (assuming they eventually drop it to under 50).

I honestly think there is some working between Fauci and other arrogant scientists that are pushing boosters every few months to weaken immune systems. Because they want covid to continue so they do not lose their power.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10621 on: March 31, 2022, 09:10:28 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2022, 09:16:26 PM by Frodo »

When the COVID pandemic is officially declared over in the United States, that will likely bring its own set of challenges:

COVID pandemic's end may bring turbulence for US health care

When the end of the COVID-19 pandemic comes, it could create major disruptions for a cumbersome U.S. health care system made more generous, flexible and up-to-date technologically through a raft of temporary emergency measures.

Winding down those policies could begin as early as the summer. That could force an estimated 15 million Medicaid recipients to find new sources of coverage, require congressional action to preserve broad telehealth access for Medicare enrollees, and scramble special COVID-19 rules and payment policies for hospitals, doctors and insurers. There are also questions about how emergency use approvals for COVID-19 treatments will be handled.

The array of issues is tied to the coronavirus public health emergency first declared more than two years ago and periodically renewed since then. It's set to end April 16 and the expectation is that the Biden administration will extend it through mid-July. Some would like a longer off-ramp.

Transitions don't bode well for the complex U.S. health care system, with its mix of private and government insurance and its labyrinth of policies and procedures. Health care chaos, if it breaks out, could create midterm election headaches for Democrats and Republicans alike.

“The flexibilities granted through the public health emergency have helped people stay covered and get access to care, so moving forward the key question is how to build on what has been a success and not lose ground,” said Juliette Cubanski, a Medicare expert with the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation, who has been researching potential consequences of winding down the pandemic emergency.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10622 on: March 31, 2022, 09:41:59 PM »

I honestly think there is some working between Fauci and other arrogant scientists that are pushing boosters every few months to weaken immune systems. Because they want covid to continue so they do not lose their power.

Yeah no.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #10623 on: March 31, 2022, 09:54:33 PM »

DO NOT GET A BOOSTER EVERY SIX MONTHS!!!!!! ONCE A ING YEAR IN THE FALL IS SUFFICIENT.

How can you possibly know this?  I’d be happy to get a booster every month if it means we don’t have to wear masks on planes anymore.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #10624 on: April 01, 2022, 10:11:44 AM »

How can you possibly know this?  I’d be happy to get a booster every month if it means we don’t have to wear masks on planes anymore.

As per usual, he's just talking out of his ass, he knows just as much as we do. I'll be eligible for a second booster as soon as they're approved for under 50 and plan on getting one asap.
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 422 423 424 [425] 426 427 428 429 430 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies