COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:45:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 273587 times)
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3800 on: June 28, 2020, 08:35:41 PM »

They have a chip on their shoulder because they're "a grown-ass man/woman" and "someone is trying to tell me what to do."  

"It's a free country!  I have rights!!!"

I've made clear my opposition to mask mandates imposed by government, but have also emphasized my support for mask mandates imposed by businesses. As I've explained before, most of the employees at my job were not wearing masks before they were mandated to do so by the Governor's order back in April. One of my co-workers has constantly complained about it, says that he is "fine", and that he doesn't need to wear a mask. He goes maskless whenever he is not on the clock, and has it down much of the time even when he is on the clock. I saw another employee who had a scarf around his neck, but was maskless and interacting with customers. Many of these people are mental Neanderthals.

The whole macho complex surrounding these people is baffling. Attention seeking at its absolute worst.
I don't see it that way at all. I think it's that these people are literally stupid enough to think that they know better than the government and medical professionals, and they're also too simple-minded to question and challenge their own ideas and consider modifying them.

And it's not just people who are considered "uneducated".  I've seen blue-collar-looking guys in dusty construction-company t-shirts and blue jeans who are properly wearing masks and appearing to take this seriously.  

These are all things I've recently heard uttered by friends, most of whom are pursuing professional degrees:

* "Oh it's okay.  My boyfriend hasn't been anywhere in the past couple of weeks."

* "If I get it, I get it.  I'll be fine.

* "I'm actually hoping to get it just to have that immunity.

* "We've been hugging and standing closer than six feet for a while now.  I think we're okay.

And checking my Instagram this morning, there were at least ten stories (time-limited pics/videos for the uninitiated) posted by med students, dentistry students, pharmacy students, nursing students -- "educated" individuals who should know better -- eating at outdoor establishments and taking group pics where they're piled on top of each other, leaning against each other, hugging, etc. with captions like "MISSED THESE PEOPLE" and "FINALLY!!!"

I'm really not trying to be high-and-mighty or preachy.  After all, it was my own stupidity and lack of safety that led to me contracting COVID-19.  There's practically no issue with eating outdoors and enjoying the summer weather so long as businesses observe proper social distancing standards.  

But people need to do their parts, too.

Its certainly understandable. Just remember, there are a lot of "health experts" that abandoned any claim to legitimacy by flipflopping on the appropriateness of protests during the pandemic. One week they were yelling about terrorists killing granny in Michigan for protesting the lockdown the next week a large gaggle of idiot "health experts" said "racism is JUST as deadly as Coronavirus" and you were literally "violent" if you didn't pour into the streets for mass gatherings. I never had much faith in what "health experts" said before this all started but the incredulity of some others in this thread that more and more normies are ignoring the "experts" after months of garbage wolf-crying seems dense. Trust must be earned and the "health experts" have really schat the bed the past few months. I was legally prohibited from attending 3 different funerals and months of church. My grandfather is dying of cancer and the hospital still wont let us visit. My dad has chronic medical problems and the doctors are still hesitant to schedule his appointments. I have tons of friends unemployed. And this past month the experts all but demanded everyone break the rules that caused all of this and go out and destroy public art. If they now try to reimpose lockdowns after their month of politically-motivated advice, you really think most of us are going to give a damn what some moron in a white coat says?

I think that less docs and researchers supported the protests than it seems; these people are very much at risk of being #cancelled which is disastrous given their student loan debt, many who opposed what happened likely kept their mouths shut
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3801 on: June 28, 2020, 08:43:39 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2020, 08:49:47 PM by Fmr. Gov. NickG »

So, today appears to be the first day in a long time where there are reported more deaths than the same day a week before.

Indeed, week-over-week deaths were up from 271 to 285 according to worldometers.  They were also up slightly on Tuesday, though there was an old data dump that made that unclear.   Also, it seems the state most responsible for the spike today was New Jersey, which went from 14 to 27 week-over-week deaths.

It’s pretty sad that New Jersey, whose case average peaked on April 7, still has triple the per daily capita death rate of California, which has seen cases steadily rising nonstop for almost three months.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3802 on: June 28, 2020, 08:43:44 PM »

I have not followed the Corona Virus stuff for about a month as we are fully re-opened in Western Australia with low transmission etc.

Is the surge in cases in the US going to cause a surge in deaths in two weeks time?

Or is this surge simply a result of increased testing to the masses?

Has anyone got any good stats on rates of asymptomatic transmission yet?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3803 on: June 28, 2020, 08:52:39 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 6/28 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

Δ Change: Day-by-day Growth or Decline or COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE: What's the overall change in the total?

<Last Numbers for 3/26-3/28 in this Post>
<Last Numbers for 3/29-4/4 in this Post>
<Last Numbers for 4/5-4/11 in this Post>
<Last Numbers for 4/12-4/18 in this Post>
<Last Numbers for 4/19-4/25 in this post>
<Last Numbers for 4/26-5/2 in this post>
<Last Numbers for 5/3-5/9 in this post>
<Last Numbers for 5/10-5/16 in this post>
<Last Numbers for 5/17-5/23 in this post>
<Last Numbers for 5/24-5/30 in this post>
<Last Numbers for 5/31-6/6 in this post>
<Last Numbers for 6/7-6/13 in this post>

6/14: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 2,162,144 (+19,920 | Δ Change: ↓21.27% | Σ Increase: ↑0.93%)
  • Deaths: 117,853 (+326 | Δ Change: ↓53.56% | Σ Increase: ↑0.28%)

6/15:
  • Cases: 2,182,950 (+20,806 | Δ Change: ↑4.45% | Σ Increase: ↑0.96%)
  • Deaths: 118,283 (+430 | Δ Change: ↑31.90% | Σ Increase: ↑0.36%)

6/16:
  • Cases: 2,208,400 (+25,450 | Δ Change: ↑22.32% | Σ Increase: ↑1.17%)
  • Deaths: 119,132 (+849 | Δ Change: ↑97.44% | Σ Increase: ↑0.72%)

6/17:
  • Cases: 2,234,471 (+26,071 | Δ Change: ↑2.44% | Σ Increase: ↑1.18%)
  • Deaths: 119,941 (+809 | Δ Change: ↓4.71% | Σ Increase: ↑0.68%)

6/18:
  • Cases: 2,263,651 (+29,180 | Δ Change: ↑11.93% | Σ Increase: ↑1.31%)
  • Deaths: 120,688 (+747 | Δ Change: ↓7.66% | Σ Increase: ↑0.62%)

6/19:
  • Cases: 2,297,190 (+33,539 | Δ Change: ↑14.94% | Σ Increase: ↑1.48%)
  • Deaths: 121,407 (+719 | Δ Change: ↓3.75% | Σ Increase: ↑0.60%)

6/20:
  • Cases: 2,330,578 (+33,388 | Δ Change: ↓0.45% | Σ Increase: ↑1.45%)
  • Deaths: 121,980 (+573 | Δ Change: ↓20.31% | Σ Increase: ↑0.47%)

6/21: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 2,356,657 (+26,079 | Δ Change: ↓21.89% | Σ Increase: ↑1.12%)
  • Deaths: 122,247 (+267 | Δ Change: ↓53.40% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)

6/22:
  • Cases: 2,388,153 (+31,496 | Δ Change: ↑20.77% | Σ Increase: ↑1.34%)
  • Deaths: 122,610 (+363 | Δ Change: ↑35.96% | Σ Increase: ↑0.30%)

6/23:
  • Cases: 2,424,168 (+36,015 | Δ Change: ↑14.35% | Σ Increase: ↑1.51%)
  • Deaths: 123,473 (+863 | Δ Change: ↑137.74% | Σ Increase: ↑0.70%)
  • Death toll inflated by older counts recently dumped by DE

6/24:
  • Cases: 2,462,554 (+38,386 | Δ Change: ↑6.18% | Σ Increase: ↑1.58%)
  • Deaths: 124,281 (+808 | Δ Change: ↓6.37% | Σ Increase: ↑0.65%)

6/25:
  • Cases: 2,504,588 (+42,034 | Δ Change: ↑9.50% | Σ Increase: ↑1.71%)
  • Deaths: 126,780 (+2,499 | Δ Change: ↑209.28% | Σ Increase: ↑2.01%)
  • Death toll inflated by older counts recently dumped by NJ

6/26:
  • Cases: 2,552,940 (+48,352 | Δ Change: ↑15.03% | Σ Increase: ↑1.93%)
  • Deaths: 127,640 (+860 | Δ Change: ↓65.59% | Σ Increase: ↑0.68%)
  • Death Δ Change affected by older counts recently dumped by NJ on 6/25

6/27 (Yesterday):
  • Cases: 2,596,537 (+43,597 | Δ Change: ↓9.83% | Σ Increase: ↑1.71%)
  • Deaths: 128,152 (+512 | Δ Change: ↓40.47% | Σ Increase: ↑0.40%)

6/28 (Today): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 2,637,077 (+40,540 | Δ Change: ↓7.01% | Σ Increase: ↑1.56%)
  • Deaths: 128,437 (+285 | Δ Change: ↓44.34% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3804 on: June 28, 2020, 08:54:49 PM »

They have a chip on their shoulder because they're "a grown-ass man/woman" and "someone is trying to tell me what to do."  

I've made clear my opposition to mask mandates imposed by government, but have also emphasized my support for mask mandates imposed by businesses. As I've explained before, most of the employees at my job were not wearing masks before they were mandated to do so by the Governor's order back in April. One of my co-workers has constantly complained about it, says that he is "fine", and that he doesn't need to wear a mask. He goes maskless whenever he is not on the clock, and has it down much of the time even when he is on the clock. I saw another employee who had a scarf around his neck, but was maskless and interacting with customers. Many of these people are mental Neanderthals.

The whole macho complex surrounding these people is baffling. Attention seeking at its absolute worst.
I don't see it that way at all. I think it's that these people are literally stupid enough to think that they know better than the government and medical professionals, and they're also too simple-minded to question and challenge their own ideas and consider modifying them.

And it's not just people who are considered "uneducated".  I've seen blue-collar-looking guys in dusty construction-company t-shirts and blue jeans who are properly wearing masks and appearing to take this seriously.  

These are all things I've recently heard uttered by friends, most of whom are pursuing professional degrees:

* "Oh it's okay.  My boyfriend hasn't been anywhere in the past couple of weeks."

* "We've been hugging and standing closer than six feet for a while now.  I think we're okay.

And checking my Instagram this morning, there were at least ten stories (time-limited pics/videos for the uninitiated) posted by med students, dentistry students, pharmacy students, nursing students -- "educated" individuals who should know better -- eating at outdoor establishments and taking group pics where they're piled on top of each other, leaning against each other, hugging, etc. with captions like "MISSED THESE PEOPLE" and "FINALLY!!!"

I'm really not trying to be high-and-mighty or preachy.  After all, it was my own stupidity and lack of safety that led to me contracting COVID-19.  There's practically no issue with eating outdoors and enjoying the summer weather so long as businesses observe proper social distancing standards.  

Its certainly understandable. Just remember, there are a lot of "health experts" that abandoned any claim to legitimacy by flipflopping on the appropriateness of protests during the pandemic. One week they were yelling about terrorists killing granny in Michigan for protesting the lockdown the next week a large gaggle of idiot "health experts" said "racism is JUST as deadly as Coronavirus" and you were literally "violent" if you didn't pour into the streets for mass gatherings. I never had much faith in what "health experts" said before this all started but the incredulity of some others in this thread that more and more normies are ignoring the "experts" after months of garbage wolf-crying seems dense. Trust must be earned and the "health experts" have really schat the bed the past few months. I was legally prohibited from attending 3 different funerals and months of church. My grandfather is dying of cancer and the hospital still wont let us visit. My dad has chronic medical problems and the doctors are still hesitant to schedule his appointments. I have tons of friends unemployed. And this past month the experts all but demanded everyone break the rules that caused all of this and go out and destroy public art. If they now try to reimpose lockdowns after their month of politically-motivated advice, you really think most of us are going to give a damn what some moron in a white coat says?

I think that less docs and researchers supported the protests than it seems; these people are very much at risk of being #cancelled which is disastrous given their student loan debt, many who opposed what happened likely kept their mouths shut

All I know is the fact that these doctors are at least by their own standards "endangering the public" by tacitly consenting to conduct they truly believe is unsafe and counter-productive out of "fear" of a political backlash from a bunch of idiots does not make me trust them more. Abdicating your beliefs and moral duties as a doctor out of fear of Jacobins with barely a double-digit IQ does not in anyway suggest science is the principle guiding the decisions. When the anti-lockdown protests were happening we were told the protesters weren't about to "scare" the so-called experts into prematurely backing down.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #3805 on: June 28, 2020, 09:06:31 PM »

All I know is the fact that these doctors are at least by their own standards "endangering the public" by tacitly consenting to conduct they truly believe is unsafe and counter-productive out of "fear" of a political backlash from a bunch of idiots does not make me trust them more. Abdicating your beliefs and moral duties as a doctor out of fear of Jacobins with barely a double-digit IQ does not in anyway suggest science is the principle guiding the decisions. When the anti-lockdown protests were happening we were told the protesters weren't about to "scare" the so-called experts into prematurely backing down.

Yea they lost credibility by picking and choosing exceptions to the quarantine rules. However, I do believe you’re not giving enough credit to the Jacobins, they transformed the entire nations narrative from “going outside = grandma dead” to just ignoring COVID
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3806 on: June 28, 2020, 10:22:13 PM »

Yea they lost credibility by picking and choosing exceptions to the quarantine rules. However, I do believe you’re not giving enough credit to the Jacobins, they transformed the entire nations narrative from “going outside = grandma dead” to just ignoring COVID
Assuming going outside means risky activity, the first was correct back then, it was correct during the protests, and it still is correct.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #3807 on: June 28, 2020, 11:43:16 PM »

Meanwhile, CNN broke down face-mask wearing by region of the Country...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/26/politics/maskwearing-coronavirus-analysis/index.html

Now some of this could be items such "always wearing a face mask when outside of the house"...

I don't wear a mask every time I walk out my door, but always wear a mask when going into indoors spaces outside of my home, or in outdoor areas where I can't practice a minimum 6' social distancing...

In larger Cities with significant amount of foot traffic, or in apt bldgs / condos where people need to use the Elevator or stairs, I would imagine would be a bit different than one or two story apt bldgs without shared stairs/elevators, etc....

I'd say that my church has less than 5% wearing masks.  Grocery stores are like 50-60%.  Other stores are maybe 25%.  Restaurants are virtually 0% for patrons, but maybe 90% for employees.  Walking around outside is basically 0%.  Maybe 2% in congested outdoor areas.

I've never seen someone wear a mask to a social gathering.  I'd be curious to know if any others have seen that.

I went back to the grocery store today for the first time in a couple weeks.  I was actually expecting a slight uptick in mask wearing due to how much focus it had gotten.  I even wore one- well, a Survivor buff, but a face covering- after not doing so the previous time.  However, I'd say that it had dropped to about 40% of the customers.

I saw no one other than the police officer at the church wearing a mask today, though I did see one person carrying one.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3808 on: June 29, 2020, 12:56:46 AM »

Unfortunately, I found out that an acquaintance's father is one of the death statistics that we are discussing here. The mother is also in hospital now, AFAIK not in great condition, but I am not 100% sure if she is critical. So I hope everyone will take a minute or two to reflect that these numbers are not really just abstract statistics. Unfortunately, it is just part of human nature that many people will adjust the way they view the virus and the way they behave only after it directly affects someone they know.

In other, more statistically oriented news, the positivity rate is continuing to trend up with minor fluctuations:

And on worldometer, not only are the US deaths reported on Sunday higher than the previous Sunday, but also the week-over-week seven day average # of deaths is higher. That may be an indicator that the deaths are starting to flatten and may then start trending up again. However, there were one or two times earlier in the downtrend of deaths where the 7 day moving average ticked slightly up but then started going down again, so to confirm any flattening and then up-tick of deaths we would need to see multiple days in a row where the 7 day moving average has stopped decreasing below 600 or so.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3809 on: June 29, 2020, 01:07:41 AM »

And on worldometer, not only are the US deaths reported on Sunday higher than the previous Sunday, but also the week-over-week seven day average # of deaths is higher.

If you are just saying the 7-day average rose from yesterday, this is tautological (it will always rise when the week-over-week daily number rises).  If you are comparing the 7-day average to the previous Sunday, it has fallen, though not as quickly as some previous weeks (596 on June 28 vs. 636 on June 21 and 782 on June 14).
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3810 on: June 29, 2020, 01:56:33 AM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3811 on: June 29, 2020, 02:02:45 AM »

Is that good? /s
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #3812 on: June 29, 2020, 04:07:10 AM »

I don't agree, Mr. Reactionary -- I mean, how could I? But nevertheless, you know I've always respected your views. 

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather and your dad.  These are difficult times and there is no easy solution.     

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3813 on: June 29, 2020, 05:12:20 AM »

Is this good?

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3814 on: June 29, 2020, 05:12:50 AM »

Leave it to the U.S. to literally not do the easiest thing we can do to fight the virus.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #3815 on: June 29, 2020, 11:24:23 AM »

Is that good? /s
Do you think that almost 15,000 tests with 299 positive (2.0% positivity) were reported eight days after Juneteenth;

And 352 tests with 352 positive (100% positivity) were reported  eight days after the Trump rally in Tulsa, the next day?

IOW do you think the number of tests dropped by a factor of 40, and the positivity rate shot up by a factor of 50 the next day?

Let's assume that this trend continues for another day. There will be 9 tests with 5000% positivity the next day.

Are you familiar with the expression GIGO? Garbage In, Garbage Out. You might want to lay off the sugary-soft drinks.

p.s. An OKC TV reporter noted that OK never reports total tests on weekends, just the number of positives.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3816 on: June 29, 2020, 11:46:12 AM »

Let's assume that this trend continues for another day. There will be 9 tests with 5000% positivity the next day.

Are you familiar with the expression GIGO? Garbage In, Garbage Out.

That's your model you're throwing garbage into. There's no reason to think the trend will continue or that it would continue at a linear rate of increase.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3817 on: June 29, 2020, 11:56:32 AM »

"It's a free country!  I have rights!!!"

And it's not just people who are considered "uneducated".  I've seen blue-collar-looking guys in dusty construction-company t-shirts and blue jeans who are properly wearing masks and appearing to take this seriously. 

* "Oh it's okay.  My boyfriend hasn't been anywhere in the past couple of weeks."

* "If I get it, I get it.  I'll be fine.

* "We've been hugging and standing closer than six feet for a while now.  I think we're okay.

I'm really not trying to be high-and-mighty or preachy.  After all, it was my own stupidity and lack of safety that led to me contracting COVID-19.  There's practically no issue with eating outdoors and enjoying the summer weather so long as businesses observe proper social distancing standards. 

Ah yes, more anti-scientist rhetoric.
Yes, many healthcare workers did support the protests, but many also acknowledged full well that cases would increase because of the protests. Their logic was that this problem is so harmful to black Americans, that it is worth the extra spread. I actually disagreed, but thats it’s own story.
Regardless, not all doctors:healthcare experts did support the protests, and a large number of those who didn’t were too scared (because of likely mob “justice”) to speak up.

The people in white coats know more about the virus than you do, and while the protests were part of the problem, the rapid reopenings, Americans being idiots and having more relative mobility than literally any other current World hotspot (see Apple mobility trends) and the lack of mask mandates also contributed.

I don't believe that anywhere near the majority of doctors or public health officials had anything to say about the Floyd protests, really.

The problem is the media class, who amplified the COVID fearmongering before doing a complete 180 to downplay virus concerns as protests started.  Now that public attention regarding the protests has started to wane, they're back to shrieking about masks keeping schools closed.  Everything they do is to paint Trump and Republicans in the worst light possible.   
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3818 on: June 29, 2020, 12:01:38 PM »

Karma is a bitch.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3819 on: June 29, 2020, 01:10:41 PM »

the problem is the media class, who amplified the COVID fearmongering before doing a complete 180 to downplay virus concerns as protests started.  Now that public attention regarding the protests has started to wane, they're back to shrieking about masks keeping schools closed.  Everything they do is to paint Trump and Republicans in the worst light possible.   

Out of morbid curiosity, what do you think would be a good light to paint - among other things -  nonstop lying, tweeting white power videos, using Nazi campaign iconography, ignoring the deaths of American soldiers, and bailing on his job to go golfing in the middle of a pandemic?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3820 on: June 29, 2020, 01:15:07 PM »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3821 on: June 29, 2020, 01:17:13 PM »

Is that good? /s
God this has to be a glitch.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3822 on: June 29, 2020, 01:51:22 PM »

What is “total predicted infections of 3.8 million” supposed to mean?  Haven’t 20-30 million Americans already been infected?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3823 on: June 29, 2020, 01:57:01 PM »

What is “total predicted infections of 3.8 million” supposed to mean?  Haven’t 20-30 million Americans already been infected?

Total verified cases?  Arch posted it as 2.6 million last night.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3824 on: June 29, 2020, 02:57:21 PM »

Total verified cases?  Arch posted it as 2.6 million last night.

Yeah, their model predicts total identified (by positive tests) cases.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies