COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 03:32:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 269885 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2100 on: May 13, 2020, 11:54:44 PM »

Well I want to go back to school so idgaf what he does on this front.

I'm a teacher and I want to go back to school too. I also want to be happily married to Rosalind Russell circa His Girl Friday. All of us want a lot of things.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2101 on: May 14, 2020, 12:11:24 AM »

How is opening a school either any more risky or any less essential than opening a pork processing plant?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2102 on: May 14, 2020, 01:39:13 AM »

The government should allow people to break stay at home and social distancing orders if they're willing to get MUH CONSTITUTION tattooed on their foreheads in black ink. The rest of us will be able to visually identify high risk potential spreaders and the anti-lockdown nuts can have their freedom. Everybody wins. Problem solved.

EDIT - Businesses will also be able to refuse service to MUH CONSTITUTION forehead people, on the grounds that they are displaying official government documentation that they are a high risk potential spreader during a pandemic.

Don't you know about the constitutional guarantee to get coronavirus while the government spies on your web browsing history without a warrant? And I have to give Bernie some criticism for not being the 60th vote to stop that.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2103 on: May 14, 2020, 01:45:21 AM »

The government should allow people to break stay at home and social distancing orders if they're willing to get MUH CONSTITUTION tattooed on their foreheads in black ink. The rest of us will be able to visually identify high risk potential spreaders and the anti-lockdown nuts can have their freedom. Everybody wins. Problem solved.

EDIT - Businesses will also be able to refuse service to MUH CONSTITUTION forehead people, on the grounds that they are displaying official government documentation that they are a high risk potential spreader during a pandemic.

Don't you know about the constitutional guarantee to get coronavirus while the government spies on your web browsing history without a warrant? And I have to give Bernie some criticism for not being the 60th vote to stop that.
Pass what you're smoking immediately. That's some strong s___ dude
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2104 on: May 14, 2020, 01:52:18 AM »

It was only sarcasm. We never suggested that. It's a total hoax by the fake news media, orchestrated by Obama /s
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2105 on: May 14, 2020, 02:47:57 AM »

Why not have compliant individuals have SLAVE tattooed on their forehead?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2106 on: May 14, 2020, 02:56:37 AM »

LMFAO, I just pictured some white middle aged public servant with PPE explaining to some Harlem black guys that the government will leave them alone if they will just agree to get SLAVE tattooed on their foreheads. That's gonna end well.

Seriously though, if you want special privileges, you get "special privileges" identification.  This is how concerts and sporting events work with VIP individuals. You don't make the huge crowd of the non-VIPs all carry "non-VIP" identification.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2107 on: May 14, 2020, 03:05:38 AM »

LMFAO, I just pictured some white middle aged public servant with PPE explaining to some Harlem black guys that the government will leave them alone if they will just agree to get SLAVE tattooed on their foreheads. That's gonna end well.

Seriously though, if you want special privileges, you get "special privileges" identification.  This is how concerts and sporting events work with VIP individuals. You don't make the huge crowd of the non-VIPs all carry "non-VIP" identification.

Non-compliant "persons" are not important, let along very important, and it is questionable whether they are even persons.

Those with the SLAVE tattoo will know they are children of the State, and the governor loves them just as much as her own children.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2108 on: May 14, 2020, 03:39:28 AM »

Non-compliant "persons" are not important, let along very important, and it is questionable whether they are even persons.

Those with the SLAVE tattoo will know they are children of the State, and the governor loves them just as much as her own children.
I know this is supposed to be a critique of libs / non-libertarians, but not all of us think like SJW authoritarians. There are also such things as "context" and "nuance", but taking those into account makes criticizing us a lot harder, doesn't it Jim?

I respect that anti-social distancing libertarians count as "persons".  We aren't children of the state, but we need to act as a community to avoid unecessary deaths in rare public health emergencies. Hardore anti-collectivism doesn't mix with serious large scale emergencies.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2109 on: May 14, 2020, 03:43:06 AM »

🙄

There will eventually be a vaccine or new anti-virals that will help with this.

The WHO has a clear agenda of decreasing morale, it’s just apparent at this point.
Nah, they are just acting like tone-deaf scientists. They warn it may never go away because there will almost certainly be some lingering outbreaks in less developed regions/among anti-vaxxer nuts kinda like somewhere in between Measles and Polio. The problem is, the WHO is completely tone-deaf and doesn’t understand saying things like these scares people who take the words out of context.

I know it sounds tone deaf. But trust me, as someone who’s spent the last two years being taught by microbiologists and virologists, it’s our duty to warn about all the likely outcomes, especially the bleaker ones. Even when talking about their own research area, it’s always couched in hypotheticals and somber warnings.

It’s one of the things they bake into you as a student: be aware of all the worst case scenarios that could arise from your research, and include them in your write up.

Most of these guys aren’t scaremongering, they see it as their ethical responsibility to present and discuss the worst case scenario. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2110 on: May 14, 2020, 03:47:29 AM »

Get help.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2111 on: May 14, 2020, 06:57:29 AM »

How is opening a school either any more risky or any less essential than opening a pork processing plant?

The pork processing plant shouldn't be essential, but in any case, the difference is that every child goes to school while there are a small number of massive pork processing plants.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2112 on: May 14, 2020, 07:08:36 AM »

As long as Trump is in the White House, this virus will not be contained. Trump will make sure of it; it helps his re-election due to Biden supporters being too scared to vote in person. That's why he's dismantling the Postal Service; he knows universal VBM would hurt him.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #2113 on: May 14, 2020, 07:33:22 AM »

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #2114 on: May 14, 2020, 08:23:58 AM »

🙄

The WHO has a clear agenda of decreasing morale, it’s just apparent at this point.
Nah, they are just acting like tone-deaf scientists. They warn it may never go away because there will almost certainly be some lingering outbreaks in less developed regions/among anti-vaxxer nuts kinda like somewhere in between Measles and Polio. The problem is, the WHO is completely tone-deaf and doesn’t understand saying things like these scares people who take the words out of context.

Scientists in general have always had a problem with communicating to the masses for the most part, so it doesn’t surprise me the WHO has had issues with it as well.

In any case, all they’re saying is basically this will be endemic, which is something that experts were predicting in January. The more pressing question in my eyes would be “how long will this be disruptive?” rather than “will this virus ever be eradicated?”
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2115 on: May 14, 2020, 08:25:24 AM »

If it does turn out that this disease is endemic and impossible to vaccinate against, I think we as a society would decide to abandon any special curbs. We've already decided that the flu represents a level of chronic danger that we're comfortable tolerating to have a functioning society; presumably we'd just add COVID to the list.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2116 on: May 14, 2020, 08:45:22 AM »

As long as Trump is in the White House, this virus will not be contained. Trump will make sure of it; it helps his re-election due to Biden supporters being too scared to vote in person. That's why he's dismantling the Postal Service; he knows universal VBM would hurt him.

A lot of people REALLY hate Trump and will do anything to see that he's out of office, even if it means they might get sick.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #2117 on: May 14, 2020, 08:54:27 AM »

A lot of people REALLY hate Trump and will do anything to see that he's out of office, even if it means they might get sick.

I would rather 4 more years of Trump if it means my grandmother goes on living well beyond this virus.

Ya know, if this were some fairy tale world where such things could be decided.

However, it's the real world and Trump has done a terrible job managing things surrounding this virus.  He seems to have no method at dealing with it beyond attacking the media and his critics, and there is NO national strategy of testing or treating the virus.  We would have been hit no matter who the president was, however the severity of it can directly be associated with his lack of leadership and his failure to respond.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2118 on: May 14, 2020, 09:08:58 AM »

I know this is supposed to be a critique of libs / non-libertarians, but not all of us think like SJW authoritarians. There are also such things as "context" and "nuance", but taking those into account makes criticizing us a lot harder, doesn't it Jim?

I respect that anti-social distancing libertarians count as "persons".  We aren't children of the state, but we need to act as a community to avoid unecessary deaths in rare public health emergencies. Hardore anti-collectivism doesn't mix with serious large scale emergencies.
The 13th Amendment only bans involuntary slavery. The SLAVE tattoo would be taken voluntarily by individuals. It is hardly collectivist if one embraces their status. It is the essence of liberty. You yourself wrote that distancing libertarians are antisocial.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2119 on: May 14, 2020, 10:29:17 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2020, 12:31:19 PM by Tintrlvr »

🙄

I know it sounds tone deaf. But trust me, as someone who’s spent the last two years being taught by microbiologists and virologists, it’s our duty to warn about all the likely outcomes, especially the bleaker ones. Even when talking about their own research area, it’s always couched in hypotheticals and somber warnings.

It’s one of the things they bake into you as a student: be aware of all the worst case scenarios that could arise from your research, and include them in your write up.

Most of these guys aren’t scaremongering, they see it as their ethical responsibility to present and discuss the worst case scenario.  

Yeah, this is totally wrong. Yes, it's certainly the media's fault for reporting these sorts of "may" statements of a 1% or 5% probability result as if they are guaranteed facts, but it's not as if the scientists aren't aware that they are making statements that will be picked up by the media--at this point, they are often statements made directly to the media! It's those scientists' duty to couch their words in precise ways that actually express what they mean. "May have X result" is not saying what they mean in a precise and easily understandable manner for non-scientists. They need to say things like "There is a small chance that...", "We believe there is approximately 5% chance of..." or similar types of phrasing. Anything else is irresponsibly overstating the negative downside scenarios and results in apocalyptic thinking and reporting.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2120 on: May 14, 2020, 10:47:15 AM »

https://twitter.com/jljacobson/status/1260411166007984133
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #2121 on: May 14, 2020, 11:05:49 AM »

Summer has arrived on the east coast. You think I’m staying in? HAHAHAHAHAHA....
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #2122 on: May 14, 2020, 11:25:53 AM »

Summer has arrived on the east coast. You think I’m staying in? HAHAHAHAHAHA....

I don't think anyone is going after outdoor activities.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2123 on: May 14, 2020, 12:05:13 PM »

Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #2124 on: May 14, 2020, 12:19:43 PM »

Who cares? Life has risks. Do you make a graph for every other possible illness you might get before leaving your house? This remains all so ridiculous.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies