MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:36:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 55
Author Topic: MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins  (Read 68075 times)
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: August 24, 2020, 06:09:56 PM »

Markey has good outreach.  I've received text message + phone call from the Markey people, but nothing from Kennedy, who I voted for in mail-in.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #826 on: August 24, 2020, 06:10:47 PM »

Pelosi will be appearing at a Kennedy virtual GOTV event tomorrow.
new_patomic

« Reply #827 on: August 24, 2020, 06:21:37 PM »

They're really committed to the bit

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #828 on: August 24, 2020, 06:31:14 PM »

They're really committed to the bit

This is pathetic.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #829 on: August 24, 2020, 06:32:28 PM »

Ed Markey's campaign: "We condemn all vile & hateful speech surrounding this race."

The Kennedys: "BUT YOU'RE CONDONING IT !!!!11!!"
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #830 on: August 24, 2020, 06:33:34 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2020, 06:48:50 PM by doomer sawx »

The Kennedys know exactly what they're doing. "Mean tweets" is a dogwhistle for "he's too far left".

You see why I made my judgment on the Pelosi endorsement?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #831 on: August 24, 2020, 08:36:57 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2020, 11:31:43 AM by From Prussia With Love »

The Kennedys know exactly what they're doing. "Mean tweets" is a dogwhistle for "he's too far left".

You see why I made my judgment on the Pelosi endorsement?

No?  This has nothing to do with the Pelosi endorsement.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #832 on: August 24, 2020, 08:49:42 PM »

Markey has good outreach.  I've received text message + phone call from the Markey people, but nothing from Kennedy, who I voted for in mail-in.

I actually had to ask politely for the Markey campaign to opt me out after I was pinged for the third time and I'd already told them twice I turned in my ballot. Today I got a text from Indivisible asking the same thing. I guess they have a lot of volunteers texting.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #833 on: August 24, 2020, 08:50:57 PM »

I support Markey as I've said but I'm unhappy that this bad behavior from certain extremely online people during the primary is carrying over to new campaigns. Ugh.
voice_of_resistance
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.34, S: 5.22

« Reply #834 on: August 24, 2020, 09:25:18 PM »

Speaker John McCormack and the OSC with a model here. Markey +1 at the moment, seems pretty reasonable, although they do say that Kennedy is picking up momentum that is too early to quantify now.

That town map looks mostly solid, although I don't really get the random Kennedy towns in Western MA.

I agree, the map looks decent but Leverett, Montague, North Adams, and Great Barrington being overwhelmingly for Kennedy in the model seems off.

North Adams - similar to Fall River/New Bedford, dying industrial city with lots of noncol whites
Great Barrington - uber rich New Yorkers
Montague and Leverett may be off, but the Connecticut Valley itself does seem reasonable to have a few towns going to Kennedy.
Hassan 2022
Calm NH Lib
Rookie
United States

« Reply #835 on: August 24, 2020, 11:30:35 PM »

Speaker John McCormack and the OSC with a model here. Markey +1 at the moment, seems pretty reasonable, although they do say that Kennedy is picking up momentum that is too early to quantify now.

That town map looks mostly solid, although I don't really get the random Kennedy towns in Western MA.

I agree, the map looks decent but Leverett, Montague, North Adams, and Great Barrington being overwhelmingly for Kennedy in the model seems off.

North Adams - similar to Fall River/New Bedford, dying industrial city with lots of noncol whites
Great Barrington - uber rich New Yorkers
Montague and Leverett may be off, but the Connecticut Valley itself does seem reasonable to have a few towns going to Kennedy.

But what would make Great Barrington uniquely pro-Kennedy when nearby Lenox and Stockbridge (which also have many rich New Yorkers) are supposedly much more pro-Markey? And Great Barrington was one of the more pro-Bernie towns in the comparatively wealthy southern portion of Berkshire County in both 2016 and 2020.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #836 on: August 25, 2020, 02:24:55 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2020, 02:44:54 AM by doomer sawx »

I support Markey as I've said but I'm unhappy that this bad behavior from certain extremely online people during the primary is carrying over to new campaigns. Ugh.

I happen to disagree. If we want to talk about more concrete hypocrisy and double standards, progressives are the only ones who have been held accountable for their supporters. We can debate about whether Pelosi's legitimately defending her friendships with the Kennedy family or not. What we can't debate is that the Joe Kennedys of the world won't hold their allies accountable for the same thing.

I actually thought that they'd pull the same line of attack with other supporters. There's always going to be a "dirtbag progressive" stereotype with any candidate that aligns with leftist ideas like MFA and the GND. There were rumblings of the Bro Playbook being used against Warren by the KHive, but I knew there would be a high-profile use of the same playbook at some point. I just didn't expect hard proof to come this soon.

If you look hard enough, you could find Kennedy supporters making toxic tweets as well. Or, in general, more establishment-leaning progressives. I've actually documented many of the latter here. To keep it short, Douglas Emhoff is friends with a KHive fan who doxed Kamala's enemies on Twitter in her name (and got kicked off DailyKos/DU for being explicitly anti-Semitic). Hillary Clinton sent a thank-you letter to an avowed anti-Semite, and Joy Reid followed someone who made explicit death threats to Bernie.

None of these political figures received any scrutiny for directly assocating with toxic figures in the establishment. If Some Dude with 100 followers makes an explicit death threat towards Kennedy, "real life isn't Twitter" gets thrown out the window and it becomes local news.

There's toxicity everywhere in every major political race - especially with the rise of social media. Instead of getting your news from one of a few options, you can tailor your feed however you like. A left-winger can set up their feed to get their "news" from Virgil Texas the same way that a KHiver can get theirs from Bravenak. Time and time again, only one side is expected to condemn their worst supporters - no matter how insignificant they are.

That's why I believe what I believe, and that's why I don't trust him to lead on progressive issues as much as Markey or even Warren.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #837 on: August 25, 2020, 05:48:59 AM »

I happen to disagree. If we want to talk about more concrete hypocrisy and double standards, progressives are the only ones who have been held accountable for their supporters. We can debate about whether Pelosi's legitimately defending her friendships with the Kennedy family or not. What we can't debate is that the Joe Kennedys of the world won't hold their allies accountable for the same thing.

I actually thought that they'd pull the same line of attack with other supporters. There's always going to be a "dirtbag progressive" stereotype with any candidate that aligns with leftist ideas like MFA and the GND. There were rumblings of the Bro Playbook being used against Warren by the KHive, but I knew there would be a high-profile use of the same playbook at some point. I just didn't expect hard proof to come this soon.

If you look hard enough, you could find Kennedy supporters making toxic tweets as well. Or, in general, more establishment-leaning progressives. I've actually documented many of the latter here. To keep it short, Douglas Emhoff is friends with a KHive fan who doxed Kamala's enemies on Twitter in her name (and got kicked off DailyKos/DU for being explicitly anti-Semitic). Hillary Clinton sent a thank-you letter to an avowed anti-Semite, and Joy Reid followed someone who made explicit death threats to Bernie.

None of these political figures received any scrutiny for directly assocating with toxic figures in the establishment. If Some Dude with 100 followers makes an explicit death threat towards Kennedy, "real life isn't Twitter" gets thrown out the window and it becomes local news.

There's toxicity everywhere in every major political race - especially with the rise of social media. Instead of getting your news from one of a few options, you can tailor your feed however you like. A left-winger can set up their feed to get their "news" from Virgil Texas the same way that a KHiver can get theirs from Bravenak. Time and time again, only one side is expected to condemn their worst supporters - no matter how insignificant they are.

That's why I believe what I believe, and that's why I don't trust him to lead on progressive issues as much as Markey or even Warren.

You sound as tone deaf as the Bernie people who were vile in the presidential primary. Oh wait... you supported Bernie. So I guess this makes sense
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #838 on: August 25, 2020, 06:37:56 AM »

I forgot to add, I find this really impressive. To do a prediction by town must not be easy. Even if it's way off, props to them for the effort.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #839 on: August 25, 2020, 07:21:36 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2020, 09:12:44 AM by Torie »

The towns of that part of Mass are visited frequently by the three boys (I note in passing that rumor has it that dispensaries exist in the area). Anecdotally, Great Barrington is a bit more diverse than Lenox and Stockbridge. In the latter two towns, I think it might be illegal not only to be poor, but to be anything other than rich. How many of such rich Democrats vote in the Berkshires, as opposed to the their address in Manhattan, is another matter.

And then there is the the town of Egremont, that I might be suing because they closed their dog park to non residents even though it is largely empty. That is Unconstitutional, and Massachusetts has a fee shifting statute wherein if one prevails on a Constitutional claim, the governmental entity must pay your legal fees. Their inbred idiot town attorney that brags that his pedigree goes back to the beginning of time in the Berkshires (for white people anyway) advised the town, that 1) my claim had no merit, and 2) that the town should close the park to everyone. Hmmm. Folks, you just cannot make this up. If I get motivated enough to do this (the claim of course would be filed in federal court in Springfield, just to scare the sh*t out of the inbred attorney), and the town chooses option two (screw the residents just to legally screw a non resident), then I plan to get the voter list, and mail a note to everyone (other than the three fossils on the selectboard), that perhaps it is time for them to consider a regime change in the next election, because their town hall denizens appear to be channeling Trump as they sink into a toxic mix of dementia and xenophobia.

I might add that when I appeared at their town meeting by Zoom, it was gratifying to view their mix of fear and loathing (channeling a bit of Hunter Thompson there myself). This particular old man can still make a difference! Who knew?

Oh, the Guidos grocery store in Great Barrington is outstanding - if you can afford it. A couple of night's ago, we consumed some swordfish bought there, and it was to die for.

Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #840 on: August 25, 2020, 07:40:04 AM »

The towns of that part of Mass are visited frequently by the three boys (I note in passing that rumor has it that dispensaries exist in the area). Anecdotally, Great Barrington is a bit more diverse than Lenox and Stockbridge. In the latter two towns, I think it might be illegal not only to be poor, but to be anything other than rich. How many of such rich Democrats vote in the Berkshires, as opposed to the their address in Manhattan, is another matter.

And then there is the the town of Egremont, that I might be suing because they closed their dog park to non residents even though it is largely empty. That is Unconstitutional, and Massachusetts has a fee shifting statute wherein if one prevails on a Constitutional claim, the governmental entity must pay your legal fees. Their inbred idiot town attorney that brags that his pedigree goes back to the beginning of time in the Berkshires (for white people anyway) advised the town, that 1) my claim had no merit, and 2) that the town should close the park to everyone. Hmmm. Folks, you just cannot make this up. If I get motivated enough to do this (the claim of course would be filed in federal court in Springfield, just to scare the sh*t out of the inbred attorney), and the town chooses option two (screw the residents just to legally screw a non resident), then I plan to get the voter list, and mail a note to everyone (other than the three fossils on the selectboard), that perhaps it is time perhaps for them to consider a regime change in the next election, because their town hall denizens appear to be channeling Trump as they sink into a toxic mix of dementia and xenophobia.

I might add that when I appeared at their town meeting by Zoom, it was gratifying to view their mix of fear and loathing (channeling a bit of Hunter Thompson there myself. This particular old man can still make a difference! Who knew?

Oh, the Guidos grocery store in Great Barrington is outstanding - if you can afford it. A couple of night's ago, we consumed some swordfish bought there, and it was to die for.

Images on the way!

Now this is a name I haven't seen in a while...
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #841 on: August 25, 2020, 10:22:57 AM »

You sound as tone deaf as the Bernie people who were vile in the presidential primary. Oh wait... you supported Bernie. So I guess this makes sense

Wow, so you're just never gonna stop producing material for the Oremine, are you?

(Sincerely, a fellow vehement Biden supporter.)
voice_of_resistance
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.34, S: 5.22

« Reply #842 on: August 25, 2020, 11:17:58 AM »

I forgot to add, I find this really impressive. To do a prediction by town must not be easy. Even if it's way off, props to them for the effort.

I personally think it's mostly accurate, but a few towns are bound to be off, especially when they are very small. As for Lenox and Stockbridge, the particular types of uber rich New Yorkers are different there, as well as those communities being smaller over all. Still though, even if this model isn't fully perfect, it's probably the closest picture the public is going to get to a remote expectation of what next week will bring.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #843 on: August 25, 2020, 12:16:37 PM »

At least I don't think people who disagree with me are terminally stupid.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #844 on: August 25, 2020, 01:23:46 PM »

Wow, so you're just never gonna stop producing material for the Oremine, are you?

I'm almost impressed by MM's utter lack of self-awareness.

It's almost at Joe Kennedy III level
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #845 on: August 25, 2020, 02:05:29 PM »

I'm almost impressed by MM's utter lack of self-awareness.

It's almost at Joe Kennedy III level

Wait wait wait so what I'm hearing is... MM is JKIII!?!

That'd explain so much tbh
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #846 on: August 25, 2020, 06:37:56 PM »

This thread is a cesspool.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #847 on: August 25, 2020, 06:52:27 PM »

You accused me of fabricating stories that provided inconvenient truths about your preferred VP's support base. If anyone in this thread has no room to talk about civility, it's you.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #848 on: August 25, 2020, 07:12:18 PM »

You accused me of fabricating stories that provided inconvenient truths about your preferred VP's support base. If anyone in this thread has no room to talk about civility, it's you.

Child, calm down. You're taking this thing too seriously.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #849 on: August 25, 2020, 07:42:51 PM »

If you think we need real leaders & real fighters for the climate in Congress, then this endorsement should secure the perception that Markey is the real deal:

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies